Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

These Jakks Pacific figures are really neat for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
holding out for the Rayman Origins-esque sonic game with sonic CD cinematic/Tyson Hesse style 2D art

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-dVeFTZsE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Sonnakai/status/1672459125039439872

:allears:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's comforting to know that some things never change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

It's comforting to know that some things never change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

gently caress me this video can’t be from 16 years ago

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Dabir posted:

I wish Mania had iterated on the S3K look instead of S2

I really like the 3 sprite but I wish they would have done something wholly new instead of reusing any of the old sprites. Taking the 2 sprite and just tweaking the colors and adding some frames is the worst thing about Mania, IMO

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they'd planned much more it probably wouldn't have gotten made. Remember that Mania was meant to be a quick four-zone retro anniversary celebration, not a proper full game. And then the scope blew up a bit. (Thankfully)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Sonic Origins worth getting nowadays? I heard it was kinda no frills.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The white on the upper cheek looks good on a CRT, but most players aren't looking at Sonic sprites on a CRT. It looks like the eye sockets bleed out into a larger area.

Of those sprites, the Mania ones improve it by having a gradient. Only the Sonic 3 balloon animal sprites fix it completely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, Knuckles' sprite in Chaotix is awful when you put it next to the others.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
calling the mania sprite "2 with some extra frames" is incredibly disrespectful to the fantastic spritework in display

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

calling the mania sprite "2 with some extra frames" is incredibly disrespectful to the fantastic spritework in display

yep

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

ArfJason posted:

I’m kind of curious what you mean, I know they did some new animations too but the majority of it is the S2 sprite.

e: I want to clarify I am genuinely curious and not looking to argue, if I’m overlooking something then I really want to know

holefoods fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 1, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In any of Origins when Sonic looks up he's mad but in Mania he looks pretty dopey. More animation frames too.

I don't dislike it but it's a standout difference.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
decided to overlay some of the sprites to check

standing idle from s2 to mania doesnt look that impressive if youre looking for massive changes in the overall shape of sonic. the pose is literally the same except the gloves are larger, the arm shorter, snout is rounded off with an extra pixel, and the sock seems to change by one pixel too.

standing idle s2 to s3, there are more radical changes, shorter rounder spines, shorter eye, a mouth, larger gloves and completely different shoes. but its still based in some way on the older sprite

the comparisons equalize more on the run cycle, with sonic 3's clearly being based on 2's with reworked eyes and middle spike, and some pixels shifted on the feet. mania sticks closer but adds a tail, different shoe shape but more importantly the shading defines a *lot* of the volume of sonics head, spikes, eye, feet, stomach and ear. there is still a lot of artistic work being done to reinterpret what was once an indistinct blob of #2424a0 into a more fleshed out volume, and this on every frame. dismissing that as simply "tweaked colors" too is a disservice to that kind of work, especially when 3 didnt exactly reinvent some of those frames from the ground up either.

and thats not even getting into actual animation work. you cant just add "more frames" and have the timings work. you have to redo and retime a lot of the inbetweens. not to mention the extra stuff like repurposing the old beta air punch animation into a new sequence that ends in the classic signpost finger wag (with a much cooler looking smile), the frozen solid ice block (basically a single frame pose), the new looking up animation, all stuff that nails character and looks fantastic. this poo poo is hard and while theres stuff im not a fan of (this particular shade of blue has never felt very sonic to me) i still think this is outstanding spritework

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 1, 2023

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
in short

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like Mania coloration on Sonic a lot. The lighter blue is real nice.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mania has the best sprites and it's not even remotely close

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Looper posted:

mania has the best sprites and it's not even remotely close

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the advance trilogy got some real nice looking poo poo in it, case in point:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the lighter blue in mania makes Sonic pop out a lot more from backgrounds and it also lets them emphasize his form using a broader range of colors. The quills and legs are spots where you can really see the difference, the quills have much more depth and Sonic’s legs are more clearly defined when they cross in front of his torso because of the highlights and shadows outlining them

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 1, 2023

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah no i get why, its just not the shade of blue that i associate sonic with

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its interesting that Sega's just kinda settled on Classic Sonic being a lighter shade of blue now.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic advance 1-3 were honestly such a blessing to get

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Bee posted:

Its interesting that Sega's just kinda settled on Classic Sonic being a lighter shade of blue now.

When Adventure came out, I was upset that most things from art renders to toys presented 3D Sonic as dark purple, before Modern went back to blue. But the current light blue Classic Sonic is a good color.

I'm a little color blind though, so maybe the 3D wasn't as dark of a purple as I see him. And I think the game model was closer to blue compared to everything else they put out of him. But he shouldn't have looked like that either way.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

ArfJason posted:

standing idle from s2 to mania doesnt look that impressive if youre looking for massive changes in the overall shape of sonic. the pose is literally the same except the gloves are larger, the arm shorter, snout is rounded off with an extra pixel, and the sock seems to change by one pixel too.

standing idle s2 to s3, there are more radical changes, shorter rounder spines, shorter eye, a mouth, larger gloves and completely different shoes. but its still based in some way on the older sprite

the comparisons equalize more on the run cycle, with sonic 3's clearly being based on 2's with reworked eyes and middle spike, and some pixels shifted on the feet. mania sticks closer but adds a tail, different shoe shape but more importantly the shading defines a *lot* of the volume of sonics head, spikes, eye, feet, stomach and ear. there is still a lot of artistic work being done to reinterpret what was once an indistinct blob of #2424a0 into a more fleshed out volume, and this on every frame. dismissing that as simply "tweaked colors" too is a disservice to that kind of work, especially when 3 didnt exactly reinvent some of those frames from the ground up either.

and thats not even getting into actual animation work. you cant just add "more frames" and have the timings work. you have to redo and retime a lot of the inbetweens. not to mention the extra stuff like repurposing the old beta air punch animation into a new sequence that ends in the classic signpost finger wag (with a much cooler looking smile), the frozen solid ice block (basically a single frame pose), the new looking up animation, all stuff that nails character and looks fantastic. this poo poo is hard and while theres stuff im not a fan of (this particular shade of blue has never felt very sonic to me) i still think this is outstanding spritework

I certainly never meant to imply it was bad work or poorly done, just that a bit of a redesign would’ve been nice but someone else mentioned that the budget probably wasn’t there. I definitely hadn’t noticed the gloves or a few other details. Thanks for doing that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hrist posted:

When Adventure came out, I was upset that most things from art renders to toys presented 3D Sonic as dark purple, before Modern went back to blue. But the current light blue Classic Sonic is a good color.

I'm a little color blind though, so maybe the 3D wasn't as dark of a purple as I see him. And I think the game model was closer to blue compared to everything else they put out of him. But he shouldn't have looked like that either way.

Adventure-era Sonic was never purple.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic advance 1-3 were honestly such a blessing to get

so many expressive animations between them and battle

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He was blue, like the gamecube

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Nice comparison. The S2 and Mania silhouettes are pretty close for those sprites.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I like to think that getting all the emeralds in S2 has simply left Sonic all jacked from going SSJ, hence the more bulbous appearance in S3K.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic is cool

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kazvall posted:

I like to think that getting all the emeralds in S2 has simply left Sonic all jacked from going SSJ, hence the more bulbous appearance in S3K.

he's actually swollen and shiny because of an allergic reaction to them

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic is cool

a controversial statement in this thread

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

he's actually swollen and shiny because of an allergic reaction to them

makes sense why his hands are so big and that he had to put on gloves

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Sonic Origins worth getting nowadays? I heard it was kinda no frills.
If you have a PC and don’t mind doing the legwork, every game on Origins has a fan-made port with a mind-boggling amount of options before even getting into mods. If you just want an easy way to spend a nostalgic weekend and aren’t the kind of Sonic nerd that knows poo poo like “roll locking”, then Origins is perfectly fine. It just falls way short of what a true compilation of the Retro games could have been, and sega didn’t give the team enough time to work on Sonic 3&K so it can be a bit buggy but more akin to Robotnik’s deadly speed traps than an unplayable mess like ‘06 or Boom.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyone else dislike how they've mickey-mousified Classic Sonic? Like he has all his edges filed off and is just a cute mascot? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

anyone else dislike how they've mickey-mousified Classic Sonic? Like he has all his edges filed off and is just a cute mascot? I dunno.

Yeah, kinda. It doesn’t bother me too much, but I grew up with Sonic being more cool than cute. I guess the cuteness has always been there, especially with Oshima’s Sonic, but i much prefer Totoya’s or Toei’s Sonic.