Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Cult of Pies posted:

people who get hung up on things that happened months ago

even ignoring the rest of that, they view that match as "wasted"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Well the match wasn't the culmination of an 8-month storyline that mostly consisted of the two having 90 second matches that end in DQs and Rollups every single week peppered with 37-minute promos where they just look directly into the camera and explain why they're having a match so obviously it was a complete waste of time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

Let's look at the bio...

"Family Man and Wrestling Fan! Conservative Dad, Vote Tory!"

That's enough looking at the bio.

I'm starting to think that most if not all twitter WWE fans are... :airquote:conservative:airquote:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Guillermus posted:

I'm starting to think that most if not all twitter WWE fans are... :airquote:conservative:airquote:

There was tgat period of ongoing that they couldn't find a progressive issue to target AEW on so spent months alleging AEW was racist.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lid posted:

There was tgat period of ongoing that they couldn't find a progressive issue to target AEW on so spent months alleging AEW was racist.

Oh yeah, and Big Swole tweets awakening the Old God Posting Tony.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Just checked and the posts are now pearl clutching AEW is Too Hot For TV whereas WWE is safe and they want blown spots.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Guillermus posted:

The venn diagram of WWE stans and QAnon believers is almost a circle

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

I mean, he's not signed by them is the main reason, I would assume.

Not signed by them yet :eng101:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

During the period PWI tracks Vader had a career renaissance in All Japan and helped them have a fantastic 1999 and into 2000 prior to the split after they got a bit stale. He had one of the best mid to late 99s - mid 2000s of anyone.

lmfao I absolutely missed that happening. Like completely.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Not signed by them yet :eng101:

From your mouth to Tony's ears.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1674938337625530369

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Love it when old dudes say that because by this metric they all sucked poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

lmfao I absolutely missed that happening. Like completely.

You should go watch his matches with Kobashi and Misawa they are very viscerally pleasing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Vince McMahon is the most successful wrestler of all time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't even think Dave would say he considers Will the greatest wrestler of all time if you asked him.

Mostly because I think there's no shot Dave would narrow that question down to one wrestler.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

perhaps by having the most five star matches, Will Ospreay is the greatest wrestler of all? nope. bull poo poo. It is big daddy

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

You should go watch his matches with Kobashi and Misawa they are very viscerally pleasing.

I'll have to go find em. Those sound like matches i'd want to see!

MJeff posted:

I don't even think Dave would say he considers Will the greatest wrestler of all time if you asked him.

Mostly because I think there's no shot Dave would narrow that question down to one wrestler.

Not in the length of your standard WOR episode.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Will has a strong argument as probably being the most outstanding wrestler of all time but he's not had a chance to be proven as a major league draw either by not having the same amount of Main events as like Okada or Omega, or in his main events happened during Pandemic restriction New Japan and whelp...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I'll have to go find em. Those sound like matches i'd want to see!

Not in the length of your standard WOR episode.

It's all on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmAkdPk4zyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCF7AcmR2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1ZNLt7Gec

The matches are all shorter than the previous All Japan style too making it much easier to get into as well.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1674943244319195136?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Thus seems like pointless poo poo stirring if you don't say monetarily successful. You can be creatively or artistically successful and not make as much money.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Weird that Inside the Ropes has the authority to declare WON’s official most successful wrestler.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Weird that Inside the Ropes has the authority to declare WON’s official most successful wrestler.

Almost as weird as them piecemeal uploading clips of years old Jericho interviews.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Will has a strong argument as probably being the most outstanding wrestler of all time but he's not had a chance to be proven as a major league draw either by not having the same amount of Main events as like Okada or Omega, or in his main events happened during Pandemic restriction New Japan and whelp...

He's the modern equivalent of Chris Benoit like that in he's so supremely talented it's viewable from space but even currently with the most five stars no one is calling him a first ballot Hall of Famer who may be the GOAT like Okada was at his age. Okada is Eddie in this comparison.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The best wrestlers are the ones that I Jonathan Quincy Knox will drive 3 hours to see.

To wit:
Kenny Omega
Orange Cassidy
Will Osprey

Maybe Rey Fenix.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Smackdown getting good reviews.

e. The second one has details that actually describe the show in question, but all follow the same formula. Fun.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 1, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Glad all the parts went in order and correctly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well now I just wanna see someone book a wrestling show with a nonlinear narrative

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Well now I just wanna see someone book a wrestling show with a nonlinear narrative

I think there was a WCW taping where the live crowd watched a title defended before it had been won.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think there was a WCW taping where the live crowd watched a title defended before it had been won.

The Freebirds lost the Tag Team titles before they had won them.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ultramantis Black once won Chikara's Grand Championship during a season that had been taped in secret and wasn't yet released on the streaming service. If I remember correctly he came out in a wheelchair at the start of the season for a perfectly normal promo, started making reference to things that didn't happen before standing up and revealing that Chikara was a year further into the future than the audience and at some point in the interim he had won the title from Hallowicked.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mr. Squishy posted:

there was a double nitro show where, and this still confuses me, they taped the second show first so the thing referenced things happening two hours later

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr. Squishy posted:

There were several, including title changes that didn't end up happening because someone got injured before the PPV where they were supposed to win the title.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/TheRajGiri/status/1675165946774945798?t=Zw8uyQMyIdtiQ4ieoNnc5Q&s=19

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

No

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I was watching Blue Velvet the other day and fell into the mistaken belief that it was one of the best films ever. I checked the box office figures and found that actually Transformer 4 is much better than it. Stupid stupid STUPID mistake on my part, sorry everyone

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Did you say you wanted things that happens in a comic? To crib from Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/57yjmb/chikara_time_travel_story/d8w4grt ), Archibald Evans did a multiyear gimmick where Eddie Kingston's Backfist To The Future unstuck him from time several times.

quote:

Reposting my original comment trying to track everything, with a few clean ups and extra info:

The Archie time-line (to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong):

March 2011: Archibald Peck makes his Chikara debut, loses to Eddie Kingston. He gets backfisted to the future...

December 2015: ...where he gets the 2015 Chikara Yearbook from Mike Quackenbush. In it, he learns to challenge Colt Cabana in...

April 2011: ...and defeats him. He uses the yearbook to start a winning streak, but things start to go differently from the yearbook. Eventually, he changes his name to Mixed Martial Archie, and...

June 2012: ...teams with Colt Cabana against Dasher Hatfield and Mr. Touchdown in a "Loser Leaves Chikara" match. During the match, he goes backstage, where he gets backfisted to the future again by Eddie Kingston to...

1885: ...where he takes the identity of "The Mysterious and Handsome Stranger". At some point, he insults Buford Tannen, where he backfisted (again) to...

July 2012: ...as the Stranger. Here, he is eventually unmasked in December 2012, and is allowed to continue wrestling - since in his timeline, he has not yet lost the "Loser Leaves Chikara" match. He also changes his name back to Archibald Peck. Eventually...

May 2013: ...he faces Eddie Kingston for the Grand Championship. During the match, a second Archie appears in the balcony. In the ring, he leaps forward, and is hit with a backfist to the future, which...

June 2012: ...sends him back into his "Loser Leaves Chikara" match. He is pinned by Mr. Touchdown, and walks out of the ring dejected, and starts to walk all over the world. During this time, he appears or is referenced at Chikara events twice - once to see him being knocked into the future in May of 2013, and once at the temporary closing of Chikara. He eventually ends up in Parts Unknown. Then, 3.0 show up and ask him to help bring Chikara back, and...

February 2014: ...he and 3.0 show up in a DeLorean to help the Chikara wrestlers defeat the Flood and bring back Chikara. He continues to wrestle for Chikara, forming a team with Ashley Remington, until...

October 2014: ...in a brawl with the Flood, the leader, Deucalion, kills him with a chokebreaker.

EXTRA NOTE: This timeline has not yet been closed. The Archibald Peck from December 2015 has not yet been sent back to April 2011 to defeat Colt Cabana, so he could still show up at future events until the second time-travel occurs.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

God the Two Archies moment was an all-timer. Such a fun story.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Deathlove posted:

Did you say you wanted things that happens in a comic? To crib from Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/57yjmb/chikara_time_travel_story/d8w4grt ), Archibald Evans did a multiyear gimmick where Eddie Kingston's Backfist To The Future unstuck him from time several times.

My favorite wrestling podcast moment this year was a few weeks ago on Between The Sheets, Bix and Joe Sposto (aka Leonard Chikarason) trying explain to Kris Zellner about the Archibald time-travel gimmick and the Wrestling Is...stuff, and Kris staying silent the entire time, rolling his eyes and sighing in frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Didn't WCW always tape Thunder before Nitro so they'd be referencing angles that hadn't happened yet?