Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

For peace of mind, I recommend buying Taurus SC and applying it around your house perimeter and everywhere else you can.

:hfive: This is exactly what I was going to recommend. As well as not freaking out unless you find lots of evidence to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SpartanIvy posted:

The good news is those pictures are really good!

The bad news is that's a carpenter ant

The somewhere in between news is that it doesn't mean you have an infestation necessarily. Carpenter ants scavenge over large distances and they could have just found their way into your house. With 2 though I'd be a little worried. For peace of mind, I recommend buying Taurus SC and applying it around your house perimeter and everywhere else you can.

My house had a big carpenter ant infestation and Taurus SC loving wiped it out (and wasps and roaches, and other bugs)

My sister in law's babydaddy works for a pest control company so hes company out tomorrow to spray the perimeter, I'll ask him when he gets here what he uses.

Ugh so upset i found them... now that i heard what they do i think my previous house had them because i think i found sawdust...

My basement is finished so i dont know how i would easily see the sawdust in this house...

Also the significant other just told me she saw one in our shower the other day... so sounds like 3 within the last week....

fyallm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 25, 2023

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Motronic posted:

No. Other than deer and rabbits not wanting to eat it because they don't like garlic or onions.

And just to put this out there because I see WAY too much of this: even pesticides don't have any effects on pollinators when they're being used properly. If you're doing collateral damage to wildlife in your residential pesticide or herbicide applications you're doing it wrong, full stop.

Perimeter alone doesn't seem to do much for me. Commercial services that apply this stuff do it the same way I do, treat the areas you want to keep the bugs out of and their direct perimeter.

Thanks, yeah I was mostly curious about pollinators because I stopped using ThermaCELL when I found out having it on my patio repelled pollinators from all my flowers. Wasn't sure if the garlic was also nonspecific, but good to know it's not.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

My sister in law's babydaddy works for a pest control company so hes company out tomorrow to spray the perimeter, I'll ask him when he gets here what he uses.

Ugh so upset i found them... now that i heard what they do i think my previous house had them because i think i found sawdust...

My basement is finished so i dont know how i would easily see the sawdust in this house...

Also the significant other just told me she saw one in our shower the other day... so sounds like 3 within the last week....

Welp just went down in my finished basement and found 5 , 3 were dead and 2 were walking on the carpet.. we will see what the terminex guy says...

Ant https://imgur.com/gallery/rETTLAX

Do the terro t300b bait traps work on carpenter ants? I used them on regular ants at my old house and it worked great

fyallm fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 25, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fyallm posted:

Do the terro t300b bait traps work on carpenter ants? I used them on regular ants at my old house and it worked great

Doubtful. You almost certainly have carpenter ants because you have a leak somewhere (window, siding - something is getting the wood your house is built of wet). That's all they need for a water source so are unlikely to go after a Terro bait like regular ants would.

Your pesticide contractor should not just be spraying the perimeter, they should be looking for how and where they are getting in so the problem can be fixed.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Doubtful. You almost certainly have carpenter ants because you have a leak somewhere (window, siding - something is getting the wood your house is built of wet). That's all they need for a water source so are unlikely to go after a Terro bait like regular ants would.

Your pesticide contractor should not just be spraying the perimeter, they should be looking for how and where they are getting in so the problem can be fixed.

One of our basement windows leaked a month ago due to the window well cover blowing off during a crazy storm and the french drain not being able to keep up. So i bet thats it

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Every exterminator ive called so far says spraying outside and inside using termadoor (sp?) Will fix the problem....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fyallm posted:

Every exterminator ive called so far says spraying outside and inside using termadoor (sp?) Will fix the problem....

If it was a temporary situation like that window well filling up then that might be true if it's now dry. But I would want to be sure of that and not just assume.

This is the difference between a good pest control company and one that just sends barely trained people out to spray chemicals.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Motronic posted:

If it was a temporary situation like that window well filling up then that might be true if it's now dry. But I would want to be sure of that and not just assume.

This is the difference between a good pest control company and one that just sends barely trained people out to spray chemicals.

I can't find any good ones, I guess , all the ones 4.5 and 5 star have told me this is what they do... how do i find a good one?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fyallm posted:

I can't find any good ones, I guess , all the ones 4.5 and 5 star have told me this is what they do... how do i find a good one?

It may not be a thing that exists in your area unfortunately.

Like I say so often in the landscaping thread: try calling your county ag extension. They're likely the ones who provide most of the pesticide license training.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fyallm posted:

Termidor SC

It's the name brand of the previously mentioned Taurus SC

https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

E: I haven't read the label in a few years but I recall it not being rated for indoor use, except in special cases. Maybe a basement is one. Definitely read the label for application and safety instructions. This stuff isn't Off!, it's the good poo poo.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 25, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SpartanIvy posted:

Termidor SC

It's the name brand of the previously mentioned Taurus SC

https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

E: I haven't read the label in a few years but I recall it not being rated for indoor use, except in special cases. Maybe a basement is one. Definitely read the label for application and safety instructions. This stuff isn't Off!, it's the good poo poo.

Ok sounds good. Since i cant find a good exterminator going to have the relative who works for terminex come and spray while i try and find an actual good exterminator company..

Can their stuff be sprayed indoors? The finoshed side of my basement with carpet is where i saw some

Thanks for the help guys!

fyallm fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 25, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fyallm posted:

Ok sounds good. Since i cant find a good exterminator going to have the relative who works for terminex come and spray while i try and find an actual good exterminator company..

Can their stuff be sprayed indoors? The finoshed side of my basement with carpet is where i saw some

Thanks for the help guys!

Here's the thing about Carpenter Ants: they don't eat the wood, they just live in it.

So they look for food elsewhere. What you're finding around your house are just scouts looking for snacks. They're also sending scouts outside and everywhere else they can.

So if you apply the pesticide to the outside perimeter of your house as directed, the scouts will walk over it, carry it back to the nest, and spread it around. After a few weeks the whole nest will be dead.

There's no real need to spray it inside because the point isn't to kill the few ants you see around, it's to kill the nest, and spraying it outside will accomplish that much better.

It will take 2-3 weeks but it will kill the nest.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SpartanIvy posted:

Here's the thing about Carpenter Ants: they don't eat the wood, they just live in it.

So they look for food elsewhere. What you're finding around your house are just scouts looking for snacks. They're also sending scouts outside and everywhere else they can.

So if you apply the pesticide to the outside perimeter of your house as directed, the scouts will walk over it, carry it back to the nest, and spread it around. After a few weeks the whole nest will be dead.

There's no real need to spray it inside because the point isn't to kill the few ants you see around, it's to kill the nest, and spraying it outside will accomplish that much better.

It will take 2-3 weeks but it will kill the nest.

Oh ok thank you. The one exterminator i talked to was surprised i knew as much as i did from just this thread and told me to just buy what you guys mentioned and apply it outside myself and i should be fine. But since we have a relative who works at terminex, will just let him do it. And sorry guys just freaking out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fyallm posted:

Oh ok thank you. The one exterminator i talked to was surprised i knew as much as i did from just this thread and told me to just buy what you guys mentioned and apply it outside myself and i should be fine. But since we have a relative who works at terminex, will just let him do it. And sorry guys just freaking out

It's all good, but the issue remains: there is a place where they can get in. That's what should be found and repaired.

Teminex and other big chains are just treatment companies as you've seen. The new (lol, it's not new at all) hotness is "integrated pest management" and that doesn't begin and end with dumping neurotoxins around your home. You find causes and remedy them so that you won't have to use aggressive treatments or only need to use reduced amounts in the future.

If you can't find and fix the area they got through I'm sure you'll be just fine. This is pretty much how most people deal with it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Motronic posted:

This is what I've been using:

https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-barrier-p-3893.html

Not because I tried a bunch and this was the best. Because this was the first thing I ordered 5 years ago when I wanted to try it out, it worked, so I kept ordering it.

Someone in one of the threads said something about this not working on banded(?) mosquitoes which is not what we have here. In any case, it's worth a try. I think Amazon still sells pint or quart bottles so it's not much of a commitment.

Real snap review, but A++ would spray again depending on the longevity with this stuff. Last weekend we could barely tolerate the three minutes or so it took to brown marshmallows over the dying grill charcoal to have dessert s'mores because of the cloud of mosquitos in our backyard. My wife sprayed the front and back with this stuff, and shortly after I literally didn't get touched running the grill.

The smell kind of reminded me of right after a match starts, but it was gone within an hour or so. Not supposed to rain until Wednesday, so it should be about ideal for staying power. We're in the southeast Twin Cities, fwiw

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Couple of questions for the thread:
1: I recently discovered a plumbing leak that had been soaking my under-cabinet kitchen flooring to the framing for an undetermined amount of time (read: a long time). I’ve remedied the leak and removed the wet wood. In the process, I saw a great many house centipedes, but really not much else. Is there anything else I should do before buttoning everything back up to remedy from a pest-control standpoint?
2: any y’all familiar with using borax as an indoor barrier? I did apply quite a bit in this instance as it was what I had immediately on hand and for the benefit as a desiccant, but I’m really not sure how effective it is.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Now that the water is gone, the centipedes will skedaddle.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I found two more blind snakes in my crawlspace today, and killed them. That makes 4 total. I'm a bit concerned since they only feed on ants and termites according to the internet but I can find no evidence of a current infestation. Could they eat the tiny spiders and gnats that are down there? I have no idea how they snakes are getting in other than possibly burrowing under the crawlspace footer. It's all extremely annoying because I hate ants, I hate termites, and I hate snakes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Real snap review, but A++ would spray again depending on the longevity with this stuff. Last weekend we could barely tolerate the three minutes or so it took to brown marshmallows over the dying grill charcoal to have dessert s'mores because of the cloud of mosquitos in our backyard. My wife sprayed the front and back with this stuff, and shortly after I literally didn't get touched running the grill.

The smell kind of reminded me of right after a match starts, but it was gone within an hour or so. Not supposed to rain until Wednesday, so it should be about ideal for staying power. We're in the southeast Twin Cities, fwiw

Howdy neighbor! Gonna try this out, just moved from Eagan to Plymouth

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Motronic posted:

And just to put this out there because I see WAY too much of this: even pesticides don't have any effects on pollinators when they're being used properly. If you're doing collateral damage to wildlife in your residential pesticide or herbicide applications you're doing it wrong, full stop.

Do you have any reading about how this works? A lot of the stuff I see about pesticides seems pretty indiscriminate (even thinking about stuff like Thermacell)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's not full mosquito season here yet but the results so far with our Biogents kit are very promising: the side of the house with the traps are mosquito free (!!) the side without is absolutely full of them, to the point that it's unpleasant doing gardening there. Last year both sides had loads.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

distortion park posted:

Do you have any reading about how this works? A lot of the stuff I see about pesticides seems pretty indiscriminate (even thinking about stuff like Thermacell)

Perhaps look at ag colleges or talk to your county ag extension office. I know about these things because of literally hundreds of hours of certification, continuing ed training and involvement with my ag extension.

I'm not sure how one could explain the concepts you're looking to know about without understanding multiple other base concepts related to pesticides and herbicide methods of action, their applications, the whole concept of IPM, and the lifecycles of the pollinators in question.

A good start would be going over the materials for getting certified to apply restricted pesticides and herbicides.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So "being using properly" isn't following the instructions as described on the packaging of items in normal retailers?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

distortion park posted:

So "being using properly" isn't following the instructions as described on the packaging of items in normal retailers?

I can't speak to all labels, but in pesticides and herbicides "the label is the law".

It's really easy to misunderstand the labels as a layperson, as they are dense with specific terminology and various application types which you must determine what category your usage fits into.

It's also impossible to capture absolutely everything on a label. If you're worried about pollinators don't go spraying things that you're not 150% sure don't hurt them on your lawn when you've got things that would attract pollinators to it like flowering dandelions or clover. That means you need to know WHEN these things bloom and how long the thing you are applying could be harmful to them so you know what times to black out your spraying.

It's also not at all on product labels why you might want to choose an alternative to spraying, and that gets more into the IPM (integrated pest management) concept.

So is the label enough? You'll have to answer "enough for what purpose"? They are intended to minimize collateral damage to the environment to a specific extent that is evaluated by the EPA. Is that standard sufficient for your level of comfort? Do you feel you can do better?

I feel like I have the knowledge to do better, and I choose to. It means that my usage is MORE restrictive than the label and I often choose something else that may be less effective but safer, something that is more work, or something that just isn't as immediate that lasts longer. I also sometimes come to the conclusion that the cost (to the environment) isn't worth the reward and it's time to just deal with it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 1, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ok, thanks for the comprehensive answer! I misunderstood your original post but is clear now!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I sprayed my entire back patio and front walkway with the garlic juice stuff and the smell goes away pretty quickly but now my garage smells like garlic

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

kri kri posted:

Howdy neighbor! Gonna try this out, just moved from Eagan to Plymouth

lol, we're in IGH, so probably the most localized review you'll get on the forums. I think I saw a grand total of three mosquitos sitting on the back deck for a half hour or so last night, which is a far cry from the cloud of them around us within 30 seconds of leaving the house a week or so ago.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

slave to my cravings posted:

I sprayed my entire back patio and front walkway with the garlic juice stuff and the smell goes away pretty quickly but now my garage smells like garlic

Add some Thai peppers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Does this look like a bed bug?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hed posted:

Does this look like a bed bug?

That is indeed a bed bug. I am sorry.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp. Sitter sent us that picture while we were out on a date, my 8 year old had that (engorged adult?) and 2 smallers under pillow. We came home and stripped everything cloth, in sealed bags while we wait to launder everything. Took down drapes, stuffed animals, all the blankets/pillows they "have to have". We had my oldest take a shower and set up a bed in the basement. Pulled bed away from wall, vacuumed, etc.

I suspect my wife's CL bed frame/headboard/footboard find had it? In the garage for a few weeks, has been in his room for 2-3 and now we've found these on the pillow. Wife cleaned it with surface cleaner but there are crevices and slots for the rails, etc.

Sealing up the mattress, using our clothes steamer to go around the room especially at interfaces like carpet and walls, frames and jambs, bed frame itself, etc. Will apply some Di earth today around the same places.

I also ordered the DoMyOwn bed bug kit #3. Our oldest will be at grandparents / out of his room for the next 2 weeks so we'll do some shock treatment and keep maintaining it for the next few months. We never saw traces of anything while cleaning but are certainly looking now. I sure hope it hasn't spread to our other bedrooms.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Diatomaceous earth is so incredibly useful and works well for a lot of pests.

Jesus is it messy though. Almost makes it not worth it... Almost.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sure a lot of folks have seen it already since Mark Rober is up to like 24 million subscribers on YouTube but he did a video recently vising the urban entomology lab at Rutgers and learning a lot about bed bugs. It's not a specific plan on killing them but it may be useful to understand how they live and what is done to corral them. They do also cover what kills them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JAOTJxYqh8

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 17, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Was getting a bit confused why there were suddenly no more mosquitoes in our Biogents trap but then noticed some ants carrying one out today!

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
We’ve been trying to deal with silverfish for the last 8 months now. We’ve had two separate pest control companies out and spraying has made things better, but we still see 1-2 a month. Better than 1-2 a day.

I’m losing a bit of faith with the pest control companies, though, as their solution is to just spray more often.

I have a few questions…

What should I use to seal the gaps between the wall and the plumbing pipes? Spray foam? Steel wool?

Our basement is probably too moist. I tossed a dehumidifier down there at some point this winter, and it was a wet winter, and it registered the humidity at 80, which I take to mean 80%. There’s an uncovered dirt section in the basement, which is how much of the moisture gets into the house, I am guessing. Should we hire a professional to cover the exposed dirt with plastic?

What else should we do? Spread DE wherever we can? I’m not a huge fan of the spraying since we’ve got 2 relatively small children.

We’re located in the SF Bay Area, if that helps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounds like you have multiple moisture issues that may need to be addressed. It's hard to say what the cause or causes are without seeing the house.

Bay Area is going to be tough to find an actual good pest control company that practices integrated pest management rather than just spray/bait/trap. You should ask around or call the county ag extension. A proper pest control company should be giving you mitigation advice or even offering to do it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any tips on house centipedes? I can coexist with a bunch of stuff but they have way too many legs.

My best guess is they're living under the slab of the house, and only coming up sometimes.

I can't figure out what they could possibly be eating, the only bugs I see around the house apart from them are occasional spiders. We've got no plumbing leaks I can find (unless it's under the slab), but there is a stream about 10ft from the house, so it's likely always damp. We've got a whole-house dehumidifer too, and that keeps things around 55% humidity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well here's one outside of my experience and training. I thought I had a racoon in the barn because I was finding stuff knocked over and dusty (from the floor) paw prints on the tables and desk/keyboard/shiposting station in the back corner. I misidentified the paw prints.

Came back after being on vacation for a couple of weeks and found this kitty in there, very much not happy to see me and jumped up on the cabinet and then climbed across the rim joist into/onto the soffit.

I have another pic where you can tell he/she has no collar. This has been going on for almost 2 months, including one of my inside cats occasionally going batshit insane in the late evenings yelling and pissing on the floor near one of the back sliding glass doors, presumably when this cat comes out and explores near the house.

Now I need to figure out what to do. Best outcome would be figuring out how to get my other cat to stop freaking out and adopt the barn cat as a barn cat and just leave it there, maybe get my hands on it to vet it if possible (seems feral, but maybe not?). But I have no idea how they are getting in out out. There is no way it survived locked in there when I was gone. And it's sleeping in my desk chair based on the amount of cat hair on it.

I've started making drat sure the pesticide cabinet is closed and that I don't leave anything out because some of the stuff I use normally is very toxic to cats when it's still wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I love how that post is basically cat.txt.

Pretty sure you adopt cats by removing dangers, which you've done, and providing food. :catstare: