Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Makoto feels like a weirdly divisive character to me; she ranks very well popularity wise if I recall right (even higher than Ann who's obvious fanservice). She does nothing for me as a character though. People either love her or are just lukewarm on her; I don't think anyone outright dislikes her.

Character wise it's the "gap moe" from seeing the prim and proper student council president turn into a face punching brawler biker delinquent after being pushed to far by corrupt authority figures and lovely people in general. I think also her all around utility makes her a popular character as well. Physical damage, nuclear, mid tier healing, defense buffs, she can be customized to handle most of it.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fairy Tail is a bit of a meme in the anime community, lowbrow trash to many, but it has a pretty dedicated fanbase and I feel safe saying much of that is due to the characters and their voices. Cherami Leigh voices one of the main characters in FT and I've been a mega fan of her ever since.

It's kinda why I was so let down by Makoto, to be honest. I was so hyped for the fan favorite character to be voiced by one of my all time favorite VAs. But whatcha gonna do. I guess what I should do is try Cyberpunk and play as the female PC.

Most of the hardcore fans I know of Fairy Tail seem to be women at least in my experience, which is kind of atypical for a Shonen Jump property. I remember also reading that during the peak of it's popularity you were not allowed to ask the author about any similarities to Eichiro Oda's art from One Piece during a sit down interview. That was one of the chief stipulations his agent had apparently. Vibe I always got from it was it was a pretty boiler plate Shonen Jump franchise where the main characters get knocked down by the big baddies of the arc only for them to find some new form that reverses the situation and snatches victor from the jaws of defeat and doesn't go a lot deeper than that and power of friendship stuff. That Mashima guy seems to get a lot of flack nowadays for his apparent uncreativeness in story arcs and the aforementioned similarities to One Piece art style when it was starting out in particular.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kale posted:

Most of the hardcore fans I know of Fairy Tail seem to be women at least in my experience, which is kind of atypical for a Shonen Jump property. I remember also reading that during the peak of it's popularity you were not allowed to ask the author about any similarities to Eichiro Oda's art from One Piece during a sit down interview. That was one of the chief stipulations his agent had apparently. Vibe I always got from it was it was a pretty boiler plate Shonen Jump franchise where the main characters get knocked down by the big baddies of the arc only for them to find some new form that reverses the situation and snatches victor from the jaws of defeat and doesn't go a lot deeper than that and power of friendship stuff. That Mashima guy seems to get a lot of flack nowadays for his apparent uncreativeness in story arcs and the aforementioned similarities to One Piece art style when it was starting out in particular.

Have you heard of the Neptunia games? They have this reputation of being creepy fanservice games for horny otaku losers. But you're gonna struggle to find JRPGs with more focus on female characters. Fairy Tail is much the same and so I'm not surprised it has a wide female audience just like Neptunia does.

I would never dream of saying FT is better than One Piece in 99% of matters. It's not. But the one area FT trounces OP, and indeed a lot oft other battle shounen, is the large cast of women. Relevant women who kick rear end and get lots of development. The big time "well-respected shounen" like Rurouni Kenshin or Yu Yu Hakusho or One Piece, whatever their other virtues, have pathetic female representation. I love Genkai but she can't do it all on her own. Oda developed some weird aversion to ever showing pretty women getting hurt and so Nami and all the new women got stuck in joke fights. Meanwhile in FT, Lucy, Cherami Leigh's character, is argued by many (including me) to be the real main character, not Natsu the generic Goku clone. She gets way more development across the series and has a very believable, down-to-earth arc even in this whacky fantasy world. Erza Scarlet is basically THE iconic badass lady in shounen, or was when FT was running. And then there are tons and tons of other female characters on both the heroes and villain side.

Fairy Tail is not a series you love for its deep worldbuilding, consistent magic system. or very complex characters. If you do love it, its because of the charm of it is the best way I can put it. If you watch the first few arcs and end up charmed by the guild and the main foursome/fivesome, that'll be why you stay. But if you aren't, it has little else going for it. Except the anime OST which is fuckin' unbelievably good..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87hNhgfZvI

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 1, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Didn't watch too much of it but I got bored of it pretty quickly once Natsu had to land the finishing blow on the main villain of every major arc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I love Marie and her only problem in my book is not being a party member. I seriously wonder if this is the source of at least some of the animosity. They basically have her as an honorary member of the Investigation Team...but she can never actually fight with us. It makes her feel even more forced in.

They seemed to have realized this was a problem so they added her as like DLC for the second fighting game spinoff. No, that doesn't cut it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 1, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I love Marie and her only problem in my book is not being a party member. I seriously wonder if this is the source of at least some of the animosity. They basically have her as an honorary member of the Investigation Team...but she can never actually fight with us. It makes her feel even more forced in.

They seemed to have realized this was a problem so they added her as like DLC for the second fighting game spinoff. No, that doesn't cut it.

It's also a feelbad when you'd inevitably lose her for her optional boss fight. And no, I don't think they could've done a thing where you get to keep her and you fight an alter-ego or whatever without it completely flubbing the emotional landing of her fight. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know people who were annoyed she was the final person to appear at the end instead of Nanako too, makes her even more shoed-in.

I'll do her plot every time because why not, but I guess if she wasn't plot relevant I wouldn't be very excited to do her stuff.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tired Moritz posted:

Makoto is just Mitsuru but poor

ApplesandOranges posted:

Makoto is Chie if she was smart (and could ride a motorbike)

So Chie is Mitsuru without the money, brain or motorbike. :thunk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you heard of the Neptunia games? They have this reputation of being creepy fanservice games for horny otaku losers. But you're gonna struggle to find JRPGs with more focus on female characters.

Well, I guess that's one way of putting it

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marie felt like a more pointless add-on to P4 than Yoshizawa was to P5. At least the latter was central to the Royal plot while it felt like you could have had a satisfactory ending to Golden with or without the former.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YaketySass posted:

So Chie is Mitsuru without the money, brain or motorbike. :thunk:

They both use Ice Personas and their Shadow versions are high tier in Ultimax, so checks out so far.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

They both use Ice Personas and their Shadow versions are high tier in Ultimax, so checks out so far.

Chie wins for having Galactic Punt as a finisher

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you heard of the Neptunia games? They have this reputation of being creepy fanservice games for horny otaku losers. But you're gonna struggle to find JRPGs with more focus on female characters.

This is not the good thing you seem to think it is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Neptunia is mostly notable for having a very large female fanbase despite the way people treat it. They're still awful games though.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Neptunia Re:Birth 2 was pretty good, I thought. The themes of sisterhood and legacy were pretty well executed, Nepgear was a really great protagonist, she develops so differently depending on the routes the player takes. There's a ton of pretty inexcusable problems with it, but I guess it's like a guilty pleasure. It does have a huge cast of women and their dynamics are fun, but I wouldn't say it's like a great feminist work or anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked the Marie poems in P4G

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All You Clowns

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always feel weird when people say Kasumi is shoehorned in; like it's obvious that she actually mechanically is, but I really appreciated Joker having a friend who wasn't a Phantom Thief or limited to ten-ish optional hangs, and I think his story would be poorer without her.

now Marie was a weird fit but her poems were real cute

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sojibro is my friend/landlord/boss/curry master.

Also they should have let you hang out with Shiho. She was the first person to actually treat you kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
uhh Sojiro is your dad and he's great at it, but that's fundamentally not the same as having a peer for a friend

and they couldn't let you hang with Shiho because she's a girl and all the female friends needed a romance path; it's already weird enough that her girlfriend is a romance option

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Neptunia is mostly notable for having a very large female fanbase despite the way people treat it. They're still awful games though.

Exactly. I don't like them at all but I was just pointing out the Neptunia fanbase is largely comprised of women. A fanservice heavy work like Nep or Fairy Tail isn't just for dudes if the fanservicey women are actual characters or the focus of the narrative.

Considering no Final Fantasy game, even FFVI with its huge cast, has ever had more than three women party members, something like Neptunia is gonna be crazy for JRPG fans who want female representation.

Ytlaya posted:

I liked the Marie poems in P4G

Maybe I like Marie because I also wrote bad poetry as a teenager. In fact, her poetry far exceeds mine. Although I never had cool music box music and great voice-acting so. I feel like Marie's English VA, Eden Riegel, needs to be praised to high heaven, going back to the previous topic. As much as I love P4's dub, she still stood out as phenomenal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I liked Kasumi because she was a giant goober. Marie was also a goober but the nature of her existence makes it less impactful to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

I liked Kasumi because she was a giant goober. Marie was also a goober but the nature of her existence makes it less impactful to me.

shutupshutupshutupyoustupid etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Considering no Final Fantasy game, even FFVI with its huge cast, has ever had more than three women party members, something like Neptunia is gonna be crazy for JRPG fans who want female representation.

I mean if you count sequels, FFIV: TAY definitely had more than three, as did Revenant Wings.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm replaying P3P since I never completed it like a decade ago and I realize ... the story was better than I recall but drat, the part where I had to go back and clear all the floors over and over really dragged me down after months. Also, I forgot how we're limited to the mall at night and that is pretty boring after I maxed my stats and had no SL at night.

Minako is pretty upbeat but she can be pretty sarcastic during the SL events and I prefer her over Yu being stoic all the time. Also, getting to the final rank of Intelligence is suffering.

The male party member SL was better than I expected even though they were side stories compared to anything major in the plot-wise but it was fun spending time with them. Then I ended up messing up the romance for every boy since I read a guide but I didn't realize they had specific romance flags at different ranks. I have a lot of regrets.

Also, I didn't realize but Strega was a pretty meh rival group beyond showing up and annoying the main cast from time to time.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Jin is well-known on the Internet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
my worst fear is that they'll try and make some in-universe explanation for how Junpei's Agidyne at Jin during the scene where Chidori dies works even though in-game, he/Moros repels Fire.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think that's going to happen.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Junpei posted:

my worst fear is that they'll try and make some in-universe explanation for how Junpei's Agidyne at Jin during the scene where Chidori dies works even though in-game, he/Moros repels Fire.

They could just give Junpei a signature fire move on awaken that bypasses fire null or reflect.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Junpei posted:

Also, I forgot to save Chidori even though I read a guide on it because I was too focused to go on walks with Koromaru at night :gbsmith:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Better choice tbh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Alder posted:

Also, I forgot to save Chidori even though I read a guide on it because I was too focused to go on walks with Koromaru at night :gbsmith:

good

walking back multiple plot deaths was the dumbest part of the rereleases and i really hope the remake won't do it

hell i hope it kills more people

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually care about the deaths getting walked back. Chidori's completely whatever to me and I'm totally fine saving Shinjiro, that one's fanfiction-y in a way I'm cool with.

e: like if you want to say that it weakens the thematic link between the characters of the death of another, that's fine... but Fuuka is already an exception to that so :shrug:

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alder posted:

Koromaru has a better chance at a long, fulfilling life than Chidori.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm very excited for the yaoification of strega

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arist posted:

I don't actually care about the deaths getting walked back. Chidori's completely whatever to me and I'm totally fine saving Shinjiro, that one's fanfiction-y in a way I'm cool with.

e: like if you want to say that it weakens the thematic link between the characters of the death of another, that's fine... but Fuuka is already an exception to that so :shrug:

I thought it was neat to save Shinji since the extra SL in P3P like gave him an actual personality but yeah but then nothing else happens since he is just a in coma unit the final scene :shobon:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

it does, as well as undermining the tone of the game

also, it's just kinda dumb. resurrection and death cop-outs are both nigh universally bad to include in plots.

anyway you're right, the remake should kill fuuka's mom or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah it's fine

e: "undermines the tone" lol we remember this game very differently

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

nah it's fine

e: "undermines the tone" lol we remember this game very differently

it's mostly just dumb to have a big dramatic death scene followed like a month later by "actually wait, she's alright". especially since she never does anything ever again.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I thought with those two things you only ever bought them time and will still die fairly soon. It has been a dog's age since I played P3P, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People get very mad at optional content.

A Bystander posted:

I thought with those two things you only ever bought them time and will still die fairly soon. It has been a dog's age since I played P3P, though.

Shinjiro just comes out of his coma at the end of the game. Chidori seems completely healed, even if she's hospital bound (she no longer has her Persona nor any memory of it, so any side-effects from it are gone as well).