Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Doing sidequests right this second... they're good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nothing better than sitting down for an evening of sidequesting in ff16 :kiss:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The beginning of this vid seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MApwWlFg2aw

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just did the Prince Flan hunt and it was fun. Took three tries, the first time he lept out of bounds and reset when he was at 25% health. Super annoying, but it at least taught me how to kite him without that happening again. Second time I got too cocky and died to a second phase move of his, and then the third try it went off without a hitch.

Good game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lmao

dude is so on point

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 1, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was put off by how he claims Nintendo is already the Disney of gaming like a minute after acknowledging that corporations are covetous of Disney because they own everything from Marvel to Star Wars to the Simpsons. It's not because they have a Mickey Mouse. He missed his own point. Nintendo is the old Disney of gaming, not the new monster that MS is aiming to be. New Disney isn't in existential dread of one successful Mario movie, that's the point of a content moat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I was put off by how he claims Nintendo is already the Disney of gaming like a minute after acknowledging that corporations are covetous of Disney because they own everything from Marvel to Star Wars to the Simpsons. It's not because they have a Mickey Mouse. He missed his own point. Nintendo is the old Disney of gaming, not the new monster that MS is aiming to be. New Disney isn't in existential dread of one successful Mario movie, that's the point of a content moat.

I think the joke is around how they are leaving Nintendo out of the financial equation of console wars even though they make the most money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nintendo is the most like Disney because they are unquestionably evil but people still love them because they have cute cartoon mascots.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of the FFXVI/GoW talk, IGN decided to add their dumb opinions.

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1674432812743786499

My particular favorite quote-

When I think of “classic FF feature,” I definitely think “dialog trees.”

quote:

In 1995, to feed the students of Springfield Elementary School, the staff had been grinding up gym mats for meat. Only as the Lunch Lady of Springfield, Doris, noted, “There’s very little meat in these gym mats.” Now pretend the gym mats are Final Fantasy 16 and the paltry meat are elements that belong to an RPG and you begin to understand my lone, conflicting feeling towards how the latest Square Enix game plays.

what the gently caress kind of opening paragraph is this

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lmao

I feel the one constant in the landscape of awful games journalism and think-pieces is that IGN has always been pretty bottom of the barrel.

Shorthand for IGNore imo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Augus posted:

lmao

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

posted:

Imagine if you will, a large, rotund orange cat. Now imagine this portly critter sitting down to partake in one of its favourite delights, a classic Italian dish consisting of layers of pasta, bechamel and, presumedly, a red meat sauce. As I launched the Lies of P demo I considered the cats owner, having recently mistaken the cat brush for his own hair brush…

Something must be in the water at ign

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

fridge corn posted:

£45 for the Star Ocean 2 remaster... oof. I mean, I'd happily pay that for the Suikoden remasters but...

......speaking of which... ???? Any news?? Last I heard were some rumblings about an October release. Please konami don't leave it too late. I need time to play :pray:

Ehh I will probably break down and pay for it. It was the last time (or, depending on your feelings for SO1, the only time) Star Ocean was good, and I have a lot of fond memories of it. Plus its absolutely loaded with side content from what I remember. I don't normally consider myself a "value gamer" but you get a ton of fun game for that price.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FFXVI is breaking people's brains LMAO

Perhaps they didn't deliver enough soup

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why doesn’t this game, which everyone agrees is great, have more of the stuff from the older games, that many people felt were not great?”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

haveblue posted:

Why doesn’t this game, which everyone agrees is great, have more of the stuff from the older games, that many people felt were not great?”

The big thing that's kind of baffling is complaining about the combat. There's things about this game I don't like, I would not overall give this game a 10 or anything. But gently caress, the combat is the best part and the boss fight are all bonkers insane wild cookoo bananas and the big thing that people keep saying is that it's not turn based like the old final fantasies. How can you see and experience this combat and go "man I wish this was more like the old games". And I'm saying that as someone who didn't even really vibe too much with FF7RE's combat. The combat in this game is absolutely incredible, why would you rather have old school combat instead of these out of control kaiju fights

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk if that’s what’s going on here, but I can empathize with lamenting something special to you becoming something different, especially when things of its nature are becoming rarer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

This reads like the writer is trying and failing to imitate Tim Rogers or something

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I dunno why but I do really enjoy having multiple pieces of armor to equip to people (Helmet, chestplate, gloves, boots). Final Fantasy 10 minimizing it down to just a weapon and a shield was kind of a shame to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno why but I do really enjoy having multiple pieces of armor to equip to people (Helmet, chestplate, gloves, boots). Final Fantasy 10 minimizing it down to just a weapon and a shield was kind of a shame to me.

I sort of liked having two slots in X if only because it was cool how they both showed up on the character, and I liked how customizable weapons and armor were.

In general though I feel like I like between three and six or seven equipment slots. Fewer than three and it doesn't really feel like an equipment system usually (FFX excepted for some reason), more than six or seven and there are too many individual gear pieces for replacing any one to feel special.

This feels like a weird thing for me to have a preference about but, well

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Idk if that’s what’s going on here, but I can empathize with lamenting something special to you becoming something different, especially when things of its nature are becoming rarer.

But turn based games aren't especially rare though. Maybe not with Final Fantasy size budgets, but Square themselves are making games in the older style. Not to mention the vast indie space. I know you're just playing devil's advocate here but as much as people might not like the direction the series has gone, it's not like turn based JRPG s are dying out.

Tbh I know it sucks when one of your favorite artists or developers or whatever changes direction, to me that's just a nudge to expand your horizons and look around a bit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Augus posted:

What is this, a Pitchfork review?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the article is complaining that it's not enough like a painfully common type of modern game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Complaining about lack if dialogue trees is the real bizarre part to me. When has FF ever had that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

The big thing that's kind of baffling is complaining about the combat. There's things about this game I don't like, I would not overall give this game a 10 or anything. But gently caress, the combat is the best part and the boss fight are all bonkers insane wild cookoo bananas and the big thing that people keep saying is that it's not turn based like the old final fantasies. How can you see and experience this combat and go "man I wish this was more like the old games". And I'm saying that as someone who didn't even really vibe too much with FF7RE's combat. The combat in this game is absolutely incredible, why would you rather have old school combat instead of these out of control kaiju fights

*does the coolest boss fights in the loving world* nan I really wish I was selecting poo poo from a menu instead

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rinkles posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 just recently came out though!!!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Do you think you can please me, Clive?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I could understand wanting FFXVI to have more things to see and do outside of the main story, or wanting it to have more of an ensemble cast, but wanting it to have the worst part of the new God of War games? lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Do you think you can please Clive?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know it probably wouldn't make the game any better but I found myself wanting like... a Kingdom Hearts level of control over party members. No direct control or in-battle orders, but you get to manage their equipment and stuff. I'm sure that'd just be a pain in the rear end for some people and it's probably why it's not a thing, but I think I would've enjoyed it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I said come in! posted:

Do you think you can please Clive?

Jams r2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

But turn based games aren't especially rare though. Maybe not with Final Fantasy size budgets, but Square themselves are making games in the older style. Not to mention the vast indie space. I know you're just playing devil's advocate here but as much as people might not like the direction the series has gone, it's not like turn based JRPG s are dying out.

Tbh I know it sucks when one of your favorite artists or developers or whatever changes direction, to me that's just a nudge to expand your horizons and look around a bit.

People are just so weird about Final Fantasy in general. Even before FF16 came out and now so many people are talking about Square like they're the last developer left that makes turn-based RPGS. Once you actually wrestle people to the ground for half and hour and force the They Live glasses onto them get an actual opinion out of them instead of whatever the gently caress that gym mats metaphor is, it seems that they just have no idea other that turn-based RPGs exist besides Final Fantasy 21 years ago and the Super Mario RPG remake coming November.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
media reviews in general no longer seem to engage with the work so much as the nebulous online discourse surrounding it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s called an RPG becaus s you play the role of a guy with +22% resistance to Batman-infused damage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it is absolutely fine to not like action games instead of turn-based RPGs. The thing that confuses me most about the discourse over FF16 is the tone of "how could Square-Enix betray us with something totally different" as if it was a complete left turn from anything else in the franchise as opposed to being effectively single player FF14 with a bit more action-oriented gameplay. (And the game before it was also a single player action game with an AI controlled party and the game before that was a single player semi-action game with an AI controlled party and the game before *that* specifically was designed around automating the characters with one specific character being the one you're expected to control.)

It's fine not to like FF16 but the weird attempts to pretend it isn't FF basically only work if your idea of FF begins and ends before the PS2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
FFXVI is a betrayal of the gamers on a level never seen before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Square just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either play style, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move. Square, publicly apologize and add menu driven combat to FFXVI or you can kiss your business goodbye.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

Square just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either play style, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move. Square, publicly apologize and add menu driven combat to FFXVI or you can kiss your business goodbye.

To be fair to this dude they have in fact stopped putting their games on X-Box now. Maybe they were right all along!! (They were not.)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

haveblue posted:

Same but ATLUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

m'lady...