Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

play with a DualShock 2 at least, the controller gimmicks make the game better

will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm being hit on by the famous Solid Snake!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
he's just flattering her

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

play snake eater on a ps2

oh yes

MGS2 as well

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
play them in the hd collection on rpcs3. you dont need no force sensitive buttons (though you can set up controls via rpcs so a certain button combo is acts like a partial press through a dualshock)

it is kinda funny/horrifying to try to interrogate someone and then accidentally slit their throat though

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the wheel has spoken and the game of the month for my retro gaming club is... Metal Gear Solid. The Summer of Snake is upon us.

:letsgo:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

Cuttlefush posted:

it is kinda funny/horrifying to try to interrogate someone and then accidentally slit their throat though

i chalked this up as consequences of snake's time in the cia

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
why would it be an accident

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

maybe he had the hiccups

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Al! posted:

you have to lightly press the button to interrogate, a full press kills them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

from now on this is canon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0iumyAGVOY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i need to finish it, the post game missions can get brutal

I suspect the honeymoon will end soon but I'm enjoying how aggressive you can be with dash attacks and jumps, and I got Mario the bonk gun because it sounded funny and now he's a loving monster. I thought it'd just move them one tile or something but it's like a keg of dynamite went off next to them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

kojima definitely did this on purpose

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

loquacius posted:

kojima definitely did this on purpose

there’s a reason he’s the best

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i always hated the pressure sensitive stuff in mgs2 and 3 because it was always too finicky so instead of slowly releasing the button to not shoot somebody it was easier to hit whichever shoulder button unequipped your gun or throw your hostage to the ground with cqc

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I couldn't release the button softly as a child so every time i held someone up for their dogtags in mgs2 i had to aim to the side of their head and shoot the wall afterwards.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

0 rows returned posted:

i always hated the pressure sensitive stuff in mgs2 and 3 because it was always too finicky so instead of slowly releasing the button to not shoot somebody it was easier to hit whichever shoulder button unequipped your gun or throw your hostage to the ground with cqc
this is worldbuilding, telling you that these characters are trained killers who have had to develop techniques to get around their honed killer instincts

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

dave the diver beats rear end, chill as gently caress with incredible graphics. i am going to eat mushrooms and just gently caress around underwater looking at dope fish

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chard posted:

dave the diver beats rear end, chill as gently caress with incredible graphics. i am going to eat mushrooms and just gently caress around underwater looking at dope fish

I just tried it for the first time and its really good. Excellent interface, chill music, tons of stuff to do. Only problem I really have with it is the translation (the story itself is good)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Dave keeps unlocking yet more stuff to do. i didn't expect to also be a farming game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the best part though is the insanely goony guy with anime pillows n posters, funko-pops, pizza boxes and garbage on the floor, that whips you up weapons

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

the best part though is the insanely goony guy with anime pillows n posters, funko-pops, pizza boxes and garbage on the floor, that whips you up weapons

I wonder what his username is

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hifi posted:

i think the series is the best of the walking simulator/diorama/light platformer games like paradise killer and jazzpunk

I was really into paradise killer. Are those others worth checking out?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dave the Diver has one of my favorite things, which is a fake phone/Internet in a videogame. Jagged Alliance 2, the net in that one Front Mission game, the GTA phones, they're always a ton of fun.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Epic High Five posted:

I wonder what his username is

Kamiyama

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Every day's great at your Junes

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hooked up and turned on my gaming PC for the first time in 6 months, had to reinstall Windows. Installing Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer and Hi-Fi Rush now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol this Mario + Rabbids game is weirdly addictive, just enough going on that there's a lot you can do without anything getting bogged down in battlefield analysis and grand strategy, the movement lets you be super aggressive and if you're super aggressive most fights are quick and satisfying and you can take a few hits without worrying much, upgrades are meaty and just frequent enough to feel rare but worth pursuing, and healing/class stuff has its own cooldown independent of movement and combat.

I want to like Rabbid Luigi because Vamp seems absurdly powerful but I think he doesn't comes online until midgame since until I can upgrade his movement, the AI always makes sure to stay out of dash range. Rabbid Peach meanwhile is a sassy tank with a massive AOE heal and a 2nd bomb drone which are very funny once you get the bounce ones. Luigi is never leaving this party, he's just insanely good, and Mario is a murder machine.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

every time someone brings up that game they always say that it was way more fun than they expected it to be

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
the first one is a masterpiece and one of the best looking switch games. I got bored of the second one it has no soul

I think the second one has randomly generated levels and big splishy sploshy powers and it no longer feels like each character excels at one thing where the maps bring out the best of that thing. Just feels like wailing on enemies because videogame

and the graphics somehow got worse

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jul 2, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at elden ring intro fmv

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at elden ring intro fmv

its good

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i need to revisit elden ring. i'm bad at games so i'll probably cheat like euprohnrius

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

the milk machine posted:

i need to revisit elden ring. i'm bad at games so i'll probably cheat like euprohnrius
elden ring is really pretty easy and forgiving. you cna just brute force it by dual wielding the biggest weapons you can find and getting enough HP + str to facetank through it all

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Games? Ehh

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

elden ring is really pretty easy and forgiving. you cna just brute force it by dual wielding the biggest weapons you can find and getting enough HP + str to facetank through it all

yeah i got ~70 hours into it and did a lot of exploring and even beat a handful of bosses, but i hit a wall that woudl require me to practice/learn bosses and such. i don't get a lot of Gaming Time to facilitate trying one boss repeatedly for an hour or two (would you believe ER was my first souls game?) so i kinda fell off then, but i did really enjoy it overall and the movement and combat feels amazing

when i come back to it i was thinking of just grinding/cheating my character up to brute force level

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
got high as a kite last night and woke up to a bunch of definitely legally obtained games on my desktop

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the milk machine posted:

yeah i got ~70 hours into it and did a lot of exploring and even beat a handful of bosses, but i hit a wall that woudl require me to practice/learn bosses and such. i don't get a lot of Gaming Time to facilitate trying one boss repeatedly for an hour or two (would you believe ER was my first souls game?) so i kinda fell off then, but i did really enjoy it overall and the movement and combat feels amazing

when i come back to it i was thinking of just grinding/cheating my character up to brute force level

if you just do all of the side content you should level up enough to do any of the bosses besides one without too much issue probably

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ER dlc when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

turn off the TV posted:

if you just do all of the side content you should level up enough to do any of the bosses besides one without too much issue probably

ty op. i'll probably be posting dumb questions here when i give it another go (not like usual)

it runs great on da steam deck so i have no excuse