Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
We took kiddo to this family fun day at a local brewery and at one point during “guy plays kid music portion” they handed out shaker eggs and mini tambourines.

Important backstory: when we went to an Easter egg hunt kiddo was like “I’m gonna get only BLUE EGGS” and sure enough he filled his little bag with like 20 blue plastic eggs.

SURE ENOUGH. He picked the blue shaker egg.

I am very curious to see if “only blue eggs” becomes a lifelong trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think what I posted must have been unclear. (I'm the only one who mentioned 8PM so I'm assuming it's my post you mean.)
I was just referring to the therapist's comment, which although we don't know exactly what it was, I still get the impression it was overstepping and also unnecessary.

Like, sure, the kiddo's home situation is challenging but it sounds like he has multiple adults in his life that love him dearly, and the bedtime thing--there's time to fix it if it needs to be fixed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have to say my 5 year old can be an ungrateful little poo poo.

We did a slime making boot camp today. Bought him a puzzle and a family game we could play. Wife and I thought we had a great day but he still threw an enormous fit over not getting something trivial at the end. He never says thank you. Never expresses any gratitude. I’m like half an inch away from making him work a soup kitchen.

I'm sorry dude that sucks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

But if you're not on an airline based in the US they don't have to follow FAA guidelines and there's a decent chance a flight to Taipei is on a carrier that falls under a different countries regulations

The other factor is brands may not be available outside some countries. I don’t know the Taiwan market, but those car seat recommendations aren’t brands I recognize being widely available in Japan, for instance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yes the car seat idea was a no go from the start for us because of the train ride beforehand, and I'm guessing our gigantic Joie seat wouldn't fit anyway. That is why I was interested in the bed box (like many other people I am asking here to get justification for wanting to buy thing x as much as real reviews of it.) All else fails it will be his expensive baby bag for everything we could think he would want/need on a plane.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I used to like weekends before I had a toddler

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I was just referring to the therapist's comment, which although we don't know exactly what it was, I still get the impression it was overstepping and also unnecessary.

Like, sure, the kiddo's home situation is challenging but it sounds like he has multiple adults in his life that love him dearly, and the bedtime thing--there's time to fix it if it needs to be fixed.

Yeah, that’s how I read the therapist’s comment too. They likely know no more about child development than you or I. Not to mention the idea of an ‘early’ bedtime is highly cultural; what matters more is the total sleep within a 24-hour period. If the kid is getting enough total sleep, and has some sort of stability at both homes (or at the very least all adults are working towards this), then I wouldn’t worry too much.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

giogadi posted:

I love the weekends!! ….as long as I have no expectation of getting anything done around the house or anything I want to do at all.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

remigious posted:

I love the weekends!! ….as long as I have no expectation of getting anything done around the house or anything I want to do at all.

Yea, we try to be as busy as possible with things 30-45 minutes away so there are large chunks of time A) doing something new and hopefully exhausting and B) where the daughter is strapped to a seat. Usually time flies, but holiday weekends where there are 4 or 5 day stretches are really brutal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

remigious posted:

I'm not a big fan of Casey Neistat but he has a video where he advocates for waking up at 4am every day to "get more done" I think if you read between the lines it's "to get anything done, at all, because I have two kids and a wife that demand my full attention all the time but they don't wake up until 8am"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 2, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

giogadi posted:

This. Plus three out of four long weekend plans fell through due to various reasons like air quality of people getting sick.

I’m actually enjoying it to a degree as the kiddo has been growing up so fast and becoming quite eloquent recently, but also stressing about trying not to make this hyped-up weekend feel like a dissapointing failure to my kid. That’s what the rest of her life is for.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As long as there is a fire truck at the parade on Tuesday mini pony is gonna be happy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We got an email on Friday from daycare about hand foot and mouth affecting three kids. We picked our kids up and cancelled our weekend plans.

We're keeping them home tomorrow, then Tuesday is off. Incubation period seems to be 3-5 days so if we've got it, we'll know by the end of Tuesday. Not sure when to send them back though, for safety.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Aside from not sending your child to daycare, avoiding HFM is not really practical in the long-term. You might avoid it next week and then get a different HFM virus two weeks later.

If you mean “safe” as in when they can be sent back if they do get it, guidance varies by daycare (usually something like the sores not having liquid).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I meant safe as in nobody will get it. So if they're clear you'd just send them back on Wednesday? Like, trying to not get it is a fool's errand?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

redreader posted:

Yeah I meant safe as in nobody will get it. So if they're clear you'd just send them back on Wednesday? Like, trying to not get it is a fool's errand?

Unless you’re dealing with some immunocompromised situation, probably. With the weekend falling the way it is, most of the affected kids are going to have symptoms and be out before Wednesday anyway.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

redreader posted:

They’re already exposed and the kids who are sick aren’t there anymore, so not sure if it’s worth keeping them home at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth...0mouth%20sores.

You can pretty much send them back to daycare right away once the fever is gone. It’s kind of just so insanely contagious that there’s nothing you or the daycare can do to prevent it. The sores show up several days after you’re already infected.

Anecdotally my kid got exposed on Monday, popped a fever on Friday, fever free on Saturday, sores on Sunday. Sores never got that bad, the worst were blisters on his big toes which he barely noticed. Then wife got a fever on Monday, then I got a fever the following Monday. No sores for either of us, so not sure if we had HFM with zero sores or something else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking as someone who posted in the cspam covid thread on a regular basis, me and my wife wore N95 in stores from January 2020-February 2022, cheated the covid vaccine rules to get an extra shot and managed to avoid getting covid until ~october 2022

Your kid is gonna get HFM

They should update it, there are three inevitable things in life:

Death, Taxes and HFM

Every September working in the office I'd get these tiny red spots under my skin on my fingers, I used to think they were friction blisters from handling ropes during sailing. Turns out they were HFM from my coworkers tracking it into the office from their kids, I just didn't have a bad reaction to it since, like everyone else, we're constantly exposed to it

I'm sure there are more virulent viruses, but there's enough HFM in your environment that eventually you and your kid are gonna get it

:justflu::hf::crnasickos:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Last week we got really lucky with our HFM experience, just our 5 yo had it and she only had a few blisters that cleared up quickly. This weekend though, we are unlucky — she has a cold triggering her asthma and the wife and I are both going through some kind of rough stomach bug. So far the 2 yo is fine but I haven’t felt this bad in a long time and I really hope the kids don’t get it. The only way we’re making it through this is because the in-laws live in the back house and are taking them for the whole day.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah our daycare and doctor seemed to be of the mind that “if one kid is showing symptoms all of the other kids are already infected and just haven’t finished incubating yet”

As soon as the fever was gone and as long as the spots weren’t liquidy he was clear to go back.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Important update on my baby waking up at the time the pig farts: He now sleeps a couple of hours on top if his 5AM bottle.

What we changed to achieve this? Nothing. Same bed time, same night routines, same amount of milk given. He just decided that catching a couple of hours of sleep after his 5AM bottle is, in fact, cool.

Babies are strange and troubleshooting them useless.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doll House Ghost posted:

Babies are strange and troubleshooting them useless.

Mostly true

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Parenting Thread: Babies are strange and troubleshooting them useless.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gbut posted:

Parenting Thread: Babies are strange and troubleshooting them useless.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Me, watching my kid spray his older cousin in the face with water in the pool and making him cry, mere minutes after his cousin did the same to him after being asked repeatedly not to

oh nooooo, don't do that I guess, anyway,

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
It’s my anniversary with my boyfriend this week and we’re leaving tomorrow for four nights in New Orleans! Four nights! In a hotel! With no children!!!

What are we going to do without compulsively shouting kiddo’s name every two minutes.

I was just on speaker phone with the bf finalizing some details and kiddo goes “CAN I COME?” Oh honey, I love you but not this time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anybody else having issues with disney+ today

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Anybody else having issues with disney+ today

Nope, watching bear in the big blue house as we speak

My favorite thing about brushing my teeth is shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How old were your kids when you let them play outside unsupervised? Like, in the yard.

I remember playing outside in my yard a lot as a kid, my parents nowhere to be seen. Currently my daughter is three, so I still think we have a ways to go... I'm just curious to see what others are thinking.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Jose Valasquez posted:

Nope, watching bear in the big blue house as we speak

My favorite thing about brushing my teeth is shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka

But have you considered brush brush bree brush brush a broo

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

How old were your kids when you let them play outside unsupervised? Like, in the yard.

I remember playing outside in my yard a lot as a kid, my parents nowhere to be seen. Currently my daughter is three, so I still think we have a ways to go... I'm just curious to see what others are thinking.

Our daughter is almost 5 and I'm OK with checking in every now and then. My wife wants to check in more frequently. I'm of the mind she needs to be out and figure out how to do things for herself. But we're in a pretty safe environment, very few cars and all the neighbors know each other.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dear god, my child can do 12 piece puzzles by herself. What a cool milestone

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A capella arrangements of 90s dance hits performed by a 4 year old are now my favorite music genre and nothing will ever take its place

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Xand_Man posted:

A capella arrangements of 90s dance hits performed by a 4 year old are now my favorite music genre and nothing will ever take its place

Wait till they find out about Rick Astley and they Rickroll you. Our daughter has done it a few times to us already.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Does anyone else's toddler get absolutely terrified when the fireworks go off? I had to comfort the little man for a spell last night as our neighborhood went off. Not very neighborly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had a big thunderstorm roll right over our house last October and my daughter was pretty alarmed but didn't freak out

I'm of the opinion that things like thunderstorms and fireworks are just unavoidable things that happen in your environment that you can't control and chalk it up as a learning experience/cautionary tale

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

A Bad King posted:

Does anyone else's toddler get absolutely terrified when the fireworks go off? I had to comfort the little man for a spell last night as our neighborhood went off. Not very neighborly.

Yeah, but it was the loud noises that were scaring her so once we got her a set of those ear protection things to wear whenever we were near them she was all good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My 2 year old has settled into this pattern where she goes to sleep between 8-9 but wakes up between 4-5 and won't go back down for like an hour or two usually and then often goes back to sleep for like an hour or two. I'm slowly going insane. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

My 2 year old has settled into this pattern where she goes to sleep between 8-9 but wakes up between 4-5 and won't go back down for like an hour or two usually and then often goes back to sleep for like an hour or two. I'm slowly going insane. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

It typically means she needs less nap time during the day. Drop one, shorten both, or whatever works best for your schedule. You should also tell childcare if she attends about your new nap goals

ETA: I've forgotten when my first stopped napping completely but it was earlier than average, you can consider no naps too but they're so nice to have as a parent I'd limit the timing first.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

G-Spot Run posted:

It typically means she needs less nap time during the day. Drop one, shorten both, or whatever works best for your schedule. You should also tell childcare if she attends about your new nap goals

ETA: I've forgotten when my first stopped napping completely but it was earlier than average, you can consider no naps too but they're so nice to have as a parent I'd limit the timing first.

Thanks she only takes one right now so I'll try to keep it short