Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/kevinweekes/status/1675249924189872130?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Another great scoop by Kevin Weekes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

All you need is a Brock Faber to prop him up and produce good balanced numbers. You do have one of those, right?

I mean, if the question is “do the Leafs have forwards that can carry otherwise questionable players to positive possession results” I’d say the answer is definitively yes.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers signed:

Wheeler--good. fine. kinda slow great passer with no defense. should fit right in. rear end in a top hat who could shake up the room. good size.
Quick--whatever. hopefully he's not totally busted. would have rather tried someone else. if he doesn't work out hopefully Allaire can work some magic on someone else.
Pitlick--sure.
Riley Nash--i didn't know he was still playing. fine for a 13th forward.
Alex Belzile--never heard of him. going to root for anyone who worked their way up from the ECHL though.
Connor Mackey--fine 8th defenseman.
Nikolas Brouillard--Hartford depth. has so many PIMs in the AHL. I appreciate that.
Nick Bonino--BU guy, Connecticut guy, Laviolette guy from Nashville, seems fine for a 4th line center
Erik Gustafsson--surprise signing, but I really like it. should pair great with Schneider. glad they're getting a puck mover after trying a ton of pylons with Schneider the last couple of years. really like this signing, especially for the money.

Taking 13F7D leaves about $7m for Lafreniere and K'Andre, so I'm guessing it'll be around $2.5/4.5 respectively, which...K'Andre might get really paid in a couple of years. But whatever, we're already doing it. Hopefully the cap goes way up. That leaves:

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Wheeler
Laf - Trocheck - Vesey
Goodrow - Bonino - Pitlick
ex: Nash
callups/potentials: Othmann/Cuylle

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Gustafsson - Schneider
ex: Harpur
callups/potentials: Jones/Mackey/Robertson

Igor
Quick

Seems fine and pretty solidly the 3rd-best team in the Metro, closer to Carolina/NJ rather than NYI/PIT/WSH. If we have a ton of injuries and none of the vets work and Igor has trouble or something, we could absolutely miss, but I feel like I'd put solid money on us making it and then NYI/PIT battling for 4th with WSH probably a tier below closer to Columbus. I also think that we're right there with anybody in the Atlantic. Boston/Tampa/Toronto are all taking steps back IMO, Florida's a wild card, Buffalo could be good or the same next year, Ottawa is Ottawa, Detroit is chaotic, and Montreal feels a few years away still. I think we could contend for the division in the Atlantic, but Carolina/NJ just seem like real solid bets to win the President's next year.

Would be nice to be able to bank some cap space so that we can make some good trades again or try Pat Kane Round 2.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Rangers signed:

Wheeler--rear end in a top hat who could shake up the room.

Uhhh did you hear about the impact Wheeler has had in the room

Hint op, its not good lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pleasantly surprised/pleased with the Bruins signings. Even Lucic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So, uh, who's going to play centre for Boston?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Zacha should be fine on the second line. The vibe seems to be that Bergeron will be back but not Krejci.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Zacha should be fine on the second line. The vibe seems to be that Bergeron will be back but not Krejci.

God they better hope so. Zacha/Coyle/Geekie is not gonna do it even if Pastrnak pots 50

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Erik Johnson was going to be a healthy scratch in favor of Jack Johnson come the playoffs. I'm thinking that 3.25 might be a bit of an overpay.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Erik isn't very good, but I'm not sure it's his fault that JMFJ is coach catnip

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, if the question is “do the Leafs have forwards that can carry otherwise questionable players to positive possession results” I’d say the answer is definitively yes.

Faber plays D, so the question is if Toronto has someone that can make up for Klingberg’s less than great D to make up for the offensive upside. I think that may be more of a stretch than having forwards who will enjoy the distribution.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I mostly agree with all of this (except going for Pat Kane Round 2 - keep him the gently caress away from my team).

Overall, Drury did more than I expected him to do today. He got decent players for not a lot of money, I'm just struck by how...experienced most of them are. The team is now a lot older than it was at the beginning of last season.

It's possible that he checked in with some younger players, but that the younger players are less inclined to take a near-minimum salary on the first day of free agency. If that's the case, I hope he checks in with some of them again in a couple weeks if they're still available.

I made a quick list of players that fit all three criteria - 1. Would be good additions to the bottom six, 2. Are projected to sign for $825k or so according to EH, and 3. are 30 years old or younger. Would like to add any one of these guys to fight for a roster spot or to stash in Hartford:

Mason Shaw
Josh Leivo
Axel Johnson-Fjalby
Zach Aston Reese
Juhjar Khaira
Brett ritchie
Jonah gadjovich
Evgeny svechnikov

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I like most of what Dubas did today. A little whatever on Ehler. He's kinda old.

It should be a much improved roster from last year if only because Graves in Dumo out.

Yeah I can live with everything so far, nothing too wild.

Jarry just ain't ever impressed me much though so i dunno about seeing him for the next 5 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I mostly agree with all of this (except going for Pat Kane Round 2 - keep him the gently caress away from my team).

Don't act like you don't want Patrick Kane. You know you do.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Rangers finally accept that Quick was the best goalie of the 2010s.

Lots of Alexes were signed today - Kerfoot, Killorn, Nedelkovic, Gulchenyuk, Carrier, Lyon, and True. Plus Debrincat and Lafreniere might be moving.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 2, 2023

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Do not like Jarry for 5 years AND getting a raise.

Wake me up when EK65 is a Penguin.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

God they better hope so. Zacha/Coyle/Geekie is not gonna do it even if Pastrnak pots 50

Yeah. Although even without Bergeron and thinner forward depth in general, no one has a better goalie tandem and I don't think many teams have a better set of defensemen either. I think they're probably still a playoff team next year. I really liked the Geekie signing. I think that was a shrewd decision.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah, that's probably true

shame no GMs have a backbone or someone could offersheet Swayman something like 5x$6.5m and really gently caress things up

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The last time a team replaced Taylor Hall with Milan Lucic it did not go well. Ask me how i know!!!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Jarry getting five years is not ideal but like all of the deals they signed last year I look at it as the next three years and then gently caress it. Unless they were going to try to trade for Hellebuyck I don’t think they’d get much else better on the market than what they have.

Was hoping Nashville would want to move Saros or maybe Demko from Vancouver but I guess not.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It doesn't matter how many years but Jarry is getting paid like a top-10 goaltender when in fact he's put up a .900 over the past year and a half, in large part because he's always hurt. It's an awful contract, one of the worst handed out today.

Korpisalo's contract was roundly and rightly laughed at but Jarry is no better than Korpisalo, here in the real world rather than the purely hypothetical and fantastical one where Jarry is healthy.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 2, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't act like you don't want Patrick Kane. You know you do.

No means no, Patrick

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

Faber plays D, so the question is if Toronto has someone that can make up for Klingberg’s less than great D to make up for the offensive upside. I think that may be more of a stretch than having forwards who will enjoy the distribution.

Oh yeah, it’s basically just “hope that last year was a blip for TJ Brodie” and even then they would need to find someone to also be that guy for Rielly. I don’t think the Leafs are done, though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Mr. Kite posted:

Rangers finally accept that Quick was the best goalie of the 2010s.

Lots of Alexes were signed today - Kerfoot, Killorn, Nedelkovic, Gulchenyuk, Carrier, Lyon, and True. Plus Debrincat and Lafreniere might be moving.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Drury denied they had any interest in moving Lafreniere but with twitter a flaming pile of poo poo now it’s not like I’m gonna go look it up

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

AntiDepressor posted:

Duclair got dumped on the sharks for a 5th and a Steven Lorentz. I thought he was getting talked up, like the main piece for Hanifin or something.

Yeesh. Not too surprising to see Duke out of Florida but it sucks all the same. Man got injured midway through the 2021-22 season and never fully recovered. Had some bursts and I'll remember his beautiful PP goal in game 3 vs the Leafs, but he just wasn't the 1st line winger he was the prior year. Lorentz is an okay bottom 6er which the Panthers needed more of but now they don't have a first line winger to go with Barkov and Verhaeghe.

The other moves the Panthers made were all marginal and okay-ish moves which makes sense since they have to prepare for Montour hitting UFA next year. I don't think any of them raise the floor in any meaningful way, which is a little worrying for a team that barely made the playoffs in 2023.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright so far with Kyle "Kyle Dubas" Dubas:

Reilly Smith: Get trade. 25 goal scorer for basically nothing, should help the pk too. Bordering on old, but w/e

Lars Eller: Ehhh don't get this one. The card looks alright but he's soo old

Noel Acciari: I'm probably just going to call him Noel most of the year because I won't remember how to spell that last name

Matt Nieto: I've liked him for a while so it figures the Pens finally get him when he's reached a fitting age (30)

Ryan Graves: Pretty solid contract for a 2nd pair defenseman. I thought he looked pylonish at times in the playoffs but he can't be more of a traffic cone than last year Dumoulin was

Alex Nedeljkovic: He was good once, and will be again

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

stab posted:

Uhhh did you hear about the impact Wheeler has had in the room

Hint op, its not good lol

honestly? the Rangers locker room is probably too tight knit, legitimately. a big rear end hole in there is probably partially good.

quote this in 6 months when Lafreniere is demanding a trade because Wheeler threw his clothes into the shower

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Legit cracked up laughing at the Reaves signing, leafs fandom is this weird living nightmare

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

quote this in 6 months when Lafreniere is demanding a trade because Wheeler threw his clothes into the shower

From what I’ve heard he’s an rear end in a top hat in the “I want to win everyone stop loving around and dedicate yourself to winning” and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was signed partly to bring more of that to the rangers dressing room that wasn’t ready to run itself under Gallant

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The winning thing is just an excuse. An rear end in a top hat is an rear end in a top hat.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Levitate posted:

From what I’ve heard he’s an rear end in a top hat in the “I want to win everyone stop loving around and dedicate yourself to winning” and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was signed partly to bring more of that to the rangers dressing room that wasn’t ready to run itself under Gallant

so he's shoresy, hell yeah

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
my take on the red wings signings is that steve yzerman has decided the wings should permanently finish 10th in the east.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am mostly happy with what the Canucks did yesterday which is a bizarre feeling for this team on July 1st.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

my take on the red wings signings is that steve yzerman has decided the wings should permanently finish 10th in the east.

I’m very ok with this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

Their roster looks like the result of an expansion draft more than any deliberate intention

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1675481989024022529

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

He seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing until yesterday

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i think my concern with detroit is that im not sure who's supposed to score for them.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Out: O’Reilly, Bunting, Kerfoot, Acciari, Schenn
In: Klingberg, Reaves

$500k cap space to sign 3 forwards and Samsonov, Now this is TreLiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You mean $6M because Muzzin is perma LTIR.

He is presumably also eventually going to dump Miurray's useless rear end (thanks Kyle).