Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Note Block posted:

Real talk - twitter is one of the only ways I know how to find good art and commission artists, especially from other countries, so I am actually pretty bummed out.

Tumblr has a really good artist community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am confused. I hear that there is supposed to be view limits, but I also hear that is a cover because they pushed code that caused a self DDOS?

Either way: LOL

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused. I hear that there is supposed to be view limits, but I also hear that is also a cover because they pushed code that caused a self DDOS?

Its a mix of both. The view limit implementation is causing the self DDoS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrMojok posted:

Whoever it was in this thread or the GBS Musk thread that said “they broke something, they don’t know how to fix it, Elon is peddling the “view limit” idea as cover for their fuckup, and when it’s fixed he’ll say “due to user feedback we’ve removed the rate limit” was, I believe, totally right.

Several have, and considering it started right on the beginning of Q3 I also totally believe someone at Google called his bluff and he's getting massively rate-limited upstream and trying to hide it.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused. I hear that there is supposed to be view limits, but I also hear that is also a cover because they pushed code that caused a self DDOS?

So what's SUPPOSED to happen is you get your 600 network calls per-day, and after that the API tells you to gently caress off, you've hit your limit (Payload returned, contents: "NO", basically). What's actually happening, to my understanding, is you get your 600 network calls, and then the API stops talking to you altogether. Which in API terms means your client thinks something has gone wrong in sending the API its payload, so it tries again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And...

For Every. Single. Twitter. User.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

or using an inferior caffeine delivery method, or just an inferior upper drug.

Please be more respectful of the H1B employees' caffeinated drink of choice.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

MrMojok posted:

Whoever it was in this thread or the GBS Musk thread that said “they broke something, they don’t know how to fix it, Elon is peddling the “view limit” idea as cover for their fuckup, and when it’s fixed he’ll say “due to user feedback we’ve removed the rate limit” was, I believe, totally right.

yeah, that was in this thread and the op nailed it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
so how long before twitter shuts off for good because of this mess

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

so how long before twitter shuts off for good because of this mess

never imo, but it will fall into obscurity and won't be relevant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

never imo, but it will fall into obscurity and won't be relevant.

At the rate he's going I'm convinced Elon's gonna gently caress something up bad enough to require a cold restart. And after that it'll just go offline and never return because nobody knows how to make that happen and re-stage everything properly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized that "Move Fast Break Stuff" is just a more marketable way of saying "I don't care, I want it and I want it NOW!"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cannot wait to see how Catturd/IMC/Loomer etc start shrieking about MY ENGAGEMENT HAS PLUMMETED

That is, if they can ever get back on the site to tweet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

happyhippy posted:

This is forever Elon for me.
Best part is Elon off to the side with a poo poo eating grin on his face.
Then he announces pre-orders start the next year.

Then comes next year and they trundle out something that can't walk more than 4 steps, and looks like its a reject from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY
I just want to add that the one they trundled out that barely moved is one they built at the last minute out of off-the-shelf components because the in-house revolutionary technology ones weren't ready to go by the due date. As usual. But don't worry, they'll definitely be ready next time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E the Shaggy posted:

Elon just retweeted this. Advertisers love it when the CEO is actively telling users to not use the product with the advertisements on it.

https://twitter.com/ElonMuskAOC/status/1675268446089773056?s=20
He's hit the Jeffrey of YOSPOS stage of Lowtaxia.

"Its a holiday, go outside!"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Hopefully he reaches the endgame lowtax stage soon

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I was reading something from a former Twitter engineer the other day. They said that Twitter was like an airplane, if the engines die it isn’t going to fall out of the sky right away. It will glide for awhile before it hits the ground. We are nearing it hitting the ground I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah irregardless of the view limit the sites completely broken. even if the view limit is an intentional thing nothing else here is. its extremely inconsistent how many views you get, some people have been browsing all day with no stoppage. even if you hit your 'view limit,' you can still look at people's likes. when you hit your 'view limit' it doesnt go 'thats enough for today champ' its like 'please try again in a few minutes' and just constantly looks like an error message. some people are logging on for the first time for the day and getting that message. even if you havent hit your 'view limit' sometimes pictures and replies completely fail to load.

the site's just busted to gently caress. even if he decides to 'turn off' the view limits he seems to have caused massive technical problems. i dont know if the site ever gets back to normal functionality.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

E the Shaggy posted:

Elon just retweeted this. Advertisers love it when the CEO is actively telling users to not use the product with the advertisements on it.

This is some primo loving corncobbing :discourse:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Still upset that I can still see embeds. I feel like all these "Twitter's dying, Cloud!" posts are trolling me, specifically, and I'm going report you all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waffle House posted:

Nah this is

Jack is posting giving support to musk though so don't think this is him dunking on him

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

You know I thought this guy was just a dipshit but-pfffttt

:lol:

Holy poo poo just post through your site no one can read dude, sure man

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
EDIT: I'm an idiot, ignore

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I will not. Reported

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I am thrilled to be alive and extant to witness this and, at the same time, I wish for the exact opposite.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Plan R posted:

I am thrilled to be alive and extant to witness this and, at the same time, I wish for the exact opposite.

Twitter grows bigger, but you're forced to read more than 600 posts per day?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

:mods:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

MrMojok posted:

Interesting.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Twitter grows bigger, but you're forced to read more than 600 posts per day?

I can't read anything. You can't even view it without a login.

It's probably good as it will help break my habit but still, what an rear end in a top hat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Waffle House posted:

what is the corncobbing post?

remember that birdsite is broken for some of us.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Nah this is

Jack is posting giving support to musk though so don't think this is him dunking on him

It's interesting to me that Elon's choice of words has a propensity, at all, to stray close to the topic of loving people's wives. @jack seems to be doing his best here given that Twitter was his baby.

e:

PhazonLink posted:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 2, 2023

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Still upset that I can still see embeds. I feel like all these "Twitter's dying, Cloud!" posts are trolling me, specifically, and I'm going report you all.

Angeramplifier

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

You used up your quota. Back in the tweet line comrade.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Djarum posted:

I was reading something from a former Twitter engineer the other day. They said that Twitter was like an airplane, if the engines die it isn’t going to fall out of the sky right away. It will glide for awhile before it hits the ground. We are nearing it hitting the ground I think.
Meanwhile Elon is filling the engines with concrete so he can make a flying cement mixer.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Tweetdeck is not rate limited. Twitter is also a bit of a ghost town at the moment lmao.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

beer_war posted:

Tweetdeck is not rate limited. Twitter is also a bit of a ghost town at the moment lmao.

I'm pretty sure the only remaining **actual** posters on Twitter are advertisers, furries at Anthrocon, busty NAFO chicks, and people telling Elon Musk to gently caress off

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Waffle House posted:

I'm pretty sure the only remaining **actual** posters on Twitter are advertisers, furries at Anthrocon, busty NAFO chicks, and people telling Elon Musk to gently caress off

Don't forget racists, Nazis and grifters!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twitter's extremely popular and a pretty normal part of daily life in japan. like 40-50% of the population uses it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Djarum posted:

Don't forget racists, Nazis and grifters!

You mean bots

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

twitter's extremely popular and a pretty normal part of daily life in japan. like 40-50% of the population uses it.

don't know what will happen if twitter goes down for them. could they migrate to another platform, or are they screwed?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Now I want a gimmick forum where you can only view 600 posts a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

mfw they exceeded their rate limit but they're still scrapin'