Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Finally have the wife convinced and even about a specific ST3, gonna call them about a buy and fly tomorrow. Already got pre-approval from my bank.

We went to see a 2017 titanium yesterday as she was concerned about back seat space and is good with it, so I may just pull off the “normal focus to ST” switcheroo. She’s gonna be real annoyed, lmao.

Good luck! Hopefully you don't end up living the current thread title. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Thanks, I'll have a look. Last time I purchased sporty shocks, the Koni STR.T range didn't even exist.

I'll have a look on the cost, if they have low enough kms I'd be fine with shipping. Finding out the Fiesta non-ST are banned in SCCA Solo/autox for CoG over 1.2 means I'd really need something to get it lower, the ST OE hardware is 15mm down as I recall, making it legal (and totally uncompetitive) in its prepared class.

I swapped them last summer for a set of STR.T's and swift spec-r Springs, I can't remember the exact mileage at the time but they had less than 50K km on them. They are off a 2017, so they don't look factory new and were only swapped because I wanted to address the ride height. Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can figure out the details, I wouldn't want more for them than having the shipping covered but will need to figure out what that cost will be.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know the odds are low, but does anyone know where to find some 10 spoke Fiesta ST-Line OEM wheels? I can find em online, but they’re all roughly $300.

I wanted a set of backup wheels for winter tires and/or keeping all-seasons on when I replace the tires on my stock 17s.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, it’s hard to find an un- or lightly molested ST 402A with reasonable miles. Did a FaceTime to look at one earlier today and passed on it. Pictures looked good, but it had a stupid warm air intake, aftermarket bov, and a nearly straight pipe exhaust (visible but it wasn’t a rousch or other known quality exhaust). That plus some interior roughness made it an easy call.

Looked again through listings and called another place, after talking with the guy all it has is an aftermarket exhaust. It’s rare to see an st without an aftermarket exhaust anyways. He’s gonna send me an hd video walk around then we’ll go from there. Feel a lot better about this one plus it’s my preferred color.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Should start modifying my FiST? I was thinking of upgrading to an ST200 air box, an intercooler, and an induction pipe. Just bolt-on stuff that can easily be reversed.
All in all something like a 40 hp gain with a tune. Is it worth pursuing?

I guess I ask because I’ve always been of the mind to not modify it. It’s plenty powerful enough, and non-modified FiSTs are hard to come by. I’m just trying to get around whether or not this counts as “modification” when it’s roughly equivalent to upgrading an air filter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Do what feels right to you, I guess

Personally I have no desire to tune mine or mess with the drivetrain, but I will be switching to Bilstein B6 and smaller wheels once I decide the stock suspension needs replacement

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I don’t wanna mess with the drivetrain. Just the airflow and a tune. Everything will be reversible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
whatever you do don’t be one of those wastegate whistle dipshits

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In an ideal world it will look and sound stock, just torqueier and a little faster

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, have you guys heard the sounds this new 550hp VR6 crate motor can make? Time to daydream about swapping one into my GTI.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ct7sQIxsto2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Should start modifying my FiST? I was thinking of upgrading to an ST200 air box, an intercooler, and an induction pipe. Just bolt-on stuff that can easily be reversed.

I guess I ask because I’ve always been of the mind to not modify it. It’s plenty powerful enough, and non-modified FiSTs are hard to come by. I’m just trying to get around whether or not this counts as “modification” when it’s roughly equivalent to upgrading an air filter.

The tune is where your power gains are. Changing the intake is really just if you want more intake noises. The intercooler isn't necessary for a basic ECU tune. If you get something that uses the AccessPort it's really easy to put on the car and take off, and on my FoST it really woke up the midrange for the car

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

A tune will really wake the car up, I have a Euro spec model being in Australia but a Stage 1 Peron tune with supporting mods made the car even more fun to drive as the torque limits in first and second gear are removed (or close to it).

A couple of years down the line, an MFactory torque biasing diff has transformed the car again and it’s hilarious how hard it corners now.

Mods are cool and good. 🤷🏻‍♂️

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:hellyeah:

Found a yellow completely stock, single owner, 68k 2017 ST3 sold ford certified that is an hour and a half away from our family vacation spot next week. Told them to start getting me paperwork.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 28, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh man I really want an Integra Type S, it's almost perfect.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh man I really want an Integra Type S, it's almost perfect.

yeah same. I really can’t decide between it or the new Type R as my lust object of the current half-decade

I wasn’t clowning as hard on the A-Spec as some other people, but I was definitely clowning on it, and I wish all car pricing wasn’t an exploitative insult, but Honda really hit it out of the park with the 11th Gen

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't mind the A-Spec as kind of a soft Si. I did 14 hours in the car over the last couple days and something like the A-Spec would be well suited for that purpose. The value prop isn't great but the value prop of all new cars is pretty bad.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are all car warranties getting this lovely? I went to the Type S build page and noticed it only has a 2yr/24k warranty on it. My GTI came with 6 drat years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't mind the A-Spec as kind of a soft Si. I did 14 hours in the car over the last couple days and something like the A-Spec would be well suited for that purpose. The value prop isn't great but the value prop of all new cars is pretty bad.

I think ppl are still reeling over the idea of a $35k/$45k/$55k Civic, but like—the ‘97 Odyssey my family destroyed over 15 years was $23k new

honestly I’m more upset with what’s happened to the used/enthusiast space. I missed the window to get a cheap 911/E30/E46/944/XJ/original 8 Series and I’m still mad :argh:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Enos Cabell posted:

Are all car warranties getting this lovely? I went to the Type S build page and noticed it only has a 2yr/24k warranty on it. My GTI came with 6 drat years.

That was the dieselgate apology warranty.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

2 year is low, no matter how you slice it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Enos Cabell posted:

Where do you live? In the US it's 4 years/50K miles — a little selling point over the Type R.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A triple yellow 2017 ST 402A will be mine within a week. The fun part will be getting it home 400 miles after vacation having barely driven stick before. I’m sure I’ll be an expert by the end, because I’ll have to be!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

grahm posted:

Where do you live? In the US it's 4 years/50K miles — a little selling point over the Type R.

I had to recheck and yeah, this was me being dumb. They list a 2yr/24k *maintenance* package as included, separate from the warranty I guess.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

devmd01 posted:

A triple yellow 2017 ST 402A will be mine within a week. The fun part will be getting it home 400 miles after vacation having barely driven stick before. I’m sure I’ll be an expert by the end, because I’ll have to be!

Congrats! ST's are real good cars.

As far as sticks go, the ST is very forgiving. I've had 3 manual cars and my ST was far and away the easiest to drive.

pro tip: watch this video on how Ford manual reverse gear works. It's not the most intuitive thing. You have to pull up on the collar beneath the shifting knob in order to go into reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJlQFNhowI

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I did not care for the clutch in the FoST but it wasn't that difficult

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also have fun. 400 mile drive? find something worth driving dont just interstate it. sts are just hilarious on windy up and down stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Best way to learn the clutch on a car that's new to you is to find a parking lot and get it from a stop through first and into second gear without touching the gas. Once you have that you're good to go.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If the FoST clutch is anything like the FiST's it can take some serious abuse.

Here's a valet knocking some life off my FiST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWlEnDvBdU&t=138s
(timestamp 2:18)

The car smelled like a clutch fire for a few days after this, but three years and 50,000 miles later I'm still driving on it and it's still holding firm. So basically don't worry about it as long as you're not being a total moron.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

The car smelled like a clutch fire for a few days after this, but three years and 50,000 miles later I'm still driving on it and it's still holding firm. So basically don't worry about it as long as you're not being a total moron.

This was painful to watch. Showing this to my wife the next time she gives me grief for not doing valet parking somewhere.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

Wow, that poo poo needs a trigger warning...

I never valet park my car for that reason. I cooked my own clutch (it was on the way out) doing something similar, I was pulling into a client's driveway that was windy and steeper than it looked in 2nd gear when I should have been in first. In that particular situation it doesn't take much to do some damage.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:nms: tag that holy poo poo

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

Fuuuck. Triggered. That’s atrocious.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

At least the second guy was correctly pissed. Silver linings?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

At least the second guy was correctly pissed. Silver linings?

Yeah, that restored my mood somewhat - it’s not the norm and they apparently expect better of their colleagues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the more I see the new teggy the more I like it 😬

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Holy poo poo, have you guys heard the sounds this new 550hp VR6 crate motor can make? Time to daydream about swapping one into my GTI.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ct7sQIxsto2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

holy shiiiiit

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My 2013 GTI is about to hit 100k miles, what should I replace it with? Unfortunately they haven’t sold a 2-door GTI in the US since 2016. Maybe I’ll just get a Golf R but the 4-door golf just bores me to tears.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
GR corolla, they rip

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Can you even get one of those? Also no MT because traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
yeah, they're out there. msrp is very doable. I suspect by the end of year under msrp will be doable.

If no manual, R if you want a hatch, Elantra N if you don't mind a sedan.

for what it's worth, the rev match and light clutch in the gr make it not the worst in traffic