Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ZearothK posted:

Also I've owned Seven on GoG for a very long while and been meaning to play it, so if anyone has takes on it I am all ears.

I loving loved Seven. Fully 3D but with that up-in-the-air third-person perspective of an older isometric RPG, open world stealth game, with some powers like Literally Just Dishonored's Blink. Far-future post-apocalypse that's rebuilt itself up to cyberpunk levels, but people have a bit of a 40k-esque pseudo-religious understanding of technology so they consider the high-tech superpowers to be magic. (For example, there are daemons but they are AIs named such originally in the computing sense, but people speak of them as, well, demons.) The stealth is mostly pretty easy because of the third-person view, and no particular system ever gets particularly deep. I've likened it to a best-of highlight reel of stealth mechanics in games. You can also climb, jump, and blink all over the drat place - the headquarters of the different major factions can often be traversed by getting up into the rafters. Once you get good weapons, combat becomes much more viable than it was at the start, too.

The writing's decent but not amazing, but it has some genuinely good moments, and I came to really enjoy the VA work. The PC, Teriel, goes for "less-jaded Garrett from Thief" and I think hits it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sebmojo posted:

It was inevitable.

Lmao

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FutureCop posted:

Well, it was inevitable. I've beaten Satellite Reign, and while incredibly satisfying, it has left me with a hunger for even more neato games of its ilk with squad-based real-time-with-pause tactics such and such.

Trying to decide what to move onto and was wondering if y'all had any suggestions. Current games in my library that I'm eyeing are Legend of Grimrock 2 (dungeon crawler so a bit of a stretch but party vibe seems cool), Shadow Tactics (was worried it might feel like a repeat/downgrade from Desperados 3 and lacking that progression system), might revisit Tyranny (tho I'd have to start all-over most likely), or maybe I could check out that Seven or Pillars of Eternity 2 that someone mentioned earlier?

I know games like XCOM 2/XCOM Chimera Squad or Shadowrun are obvious potential answers but I dunno if I can vibe with the slowness of turn-based.

Also I was curious as it seems like people treat RTWP games like the plague and strongly favor turn-based: is there a reason for this, or is it just an exaggerated drum people like to beat, like hating pineapple pizza?

Grimrock 2 is top notch at what it does, and has stressful positioning dances, but "squad-based tactics" it is not. Shadow Tactics is a very 90's style, but-in-a-good-way, stealth game that I'd also 100% recommend, but again it doesn't involve a lot of 4-person meticulously timed takedowns, more like ~2 people moving at once, using the right guy for the right situation thing. Tyranny has no team tactics in it at all, it's very much like all the other Icewind Dale games like that. I've been told PoE2 *is* heavy on the tactics, but that might be all it had to its name as honestly it bored me to tears on the premise and I quit early.

I have absolutely no problem with "rtwp" games (which I just call Icewind Dale clones as rtwp is a pretty wide net), Planescape Torment and Tyranny where great fun, it just always feels that what they're doing is trying to fit a square peg through a round hole when it comes to "tactics" and every other implementation has done it better from the ground up.

edit: Super beaten, but at least there seems to be a consensus. Lotta good games you listed there, can't really go wrong.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Also the Baldur's Gate RTWP system was developed for AD&D 2e, where RTWP is a more reasonable interpretation of the tabletop rules. There was less emphasis on ordered player turns and more emphasis on rounds, with each "turn" progressing the game by six seconds and the actual resolution order being determined by an initiative roll each round. Players couldn't really react to things that happened earlier in the same round because the order wasn't resolved until they already figured out what they were going to do. With 5e rules, RTWP just doesn't really make sense anymore since the conceit of every player moving simultaneously just doesn't really exist anymore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Clarste posted:

The stated goal of real-time-with-pause RPGs following the Baldur's Gate model is to make trash encounters less tedious by automating them. What they fail to realize of course is that this is a symptom of a bad fundamental design: why does your game have ANY boring encounters in the first place? If you have a designed a game that is not fun to play, the solution is not to automate away the "play" part, it's to make a funner game.

It's a nice thought but it's pretty impractical. Especially considering how sometimes a trivial task is someone's mt everest. Even Nintendo which baby proofs it's game still has some adults who cannot solve things put before them at times.

Trash fights can also serve other purposes, like attrition, but that's another hard thing to balance for especially since most players really expect and want to be able to rest practically after every fight. They'd do it mid combat if they could.

I think pillars did better than most on avoiding trash fights, but through leveling and exploration still encountered trivial fights sometimes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Clarste posted:

The stated goal of real-time-with-pause RPGs following the Baldur's Gate model is to make trash encounters less tedious by automating them. What they fail to realize of course is that this is a symptom of a bad fundamental design: why does your game have ANY boring encounters in the first place? If you have a designed a game that is not fun to play, the solution is not to automate away the "play" part, it's to make a funner game.

I don't think this is always true; with the right systems there is a lot of joy and satisfaction in building a character or a party that can efficiently obliterate partially-automated trash encounters. What does give me pause (ha ha) is when games are built with the option to do either RTWP or turn-based -- I am always really skeptical that one of the modes isn't the "real" way to play and if you pick the other, you're missing out on the intended combat design.

Edit: and to expand on the first part of that, I just think there's just nothing inherently wrong with a combat-heavy RPG skewing the balance towards testing your setup instead of your execution. Something like Divinity 2 with TBC and a design that leans towards very few "trash encounters" is a great game and one of my personal favorites but encounters can sometimes be exhausting, and often feel like a pretty even 50/50 between build and execution. I'm ok with games existing in a space that's like 80% testing your ability to put together a smart build and 20% executing combat, and that's what a lot of RTWP stuff falls into. It's not inherently bad design, it's just testing a different skill set.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 2, 2023

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Really missed opportunity to set your birthday as June 9th, 1969

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Dave the Diver is pretty good!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1868140/DAVE_THE_DIVER/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pik_d posted:

Is there a way to make it so Steam starts silently like before? Every time I start it, it pops up the store and some ads when before the new update I didn't have to deal with that.

I don't know if there's a way to force it but the Steam client on the Beta Update track currently starts silently if you're cool with switching over

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Black Griffon posted:

It's not about piracy, it's about cannibalizing other people's creative work to create derivative nonsense that barely passes scrutiny but still passes off other people's work as your own.

This seems like it describes about 90% of the internet since the day I installed AOL off a CD that came in the mail.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Why does this conversation always end up with multiple people confessing that they exclusively consume the absolute worst media

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

SoR Blaze posted:

Really missed opportunity to set your birthday as June 9th, 1969

I always go april 20th, same year, but that's a good one too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mycot posted:

Why does this conversation always end up with multiple people confessing that they exclusively consume the absolute worst media

idk but does anyone know any good games where you poop on people

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to increase the font size of the new Steam overlay? Everything is super tiny on my 16" 2560x1600 screen.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hwurmp posted:

idk but does anyone know any good games where you poop on people

play the septic avenger minigame in saints row 2 op

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yeah it's delightful. I know they have very little in common other than being Korean but I love how it just keeps throwing new systems and gameplay twists at you, reminded me a lot of Troubleshooter

edit: The presentation is also top-notch. Love the pixel art cutscenes and they also did a very good job balancing sprites with 3D backgrounds which is easy to gently caress up and make ugly

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think the last RTwP game I played (not counting Baldur's Gate 1) was Masquereda: Songs and Shadows. It was fine, but of course the RTwP system, as it so often does, turns into a Pause and Pause and Pause and Pause... system, since enemies and AI PC's get into a clusterfuck fight and you routinely need to adjust the targeting of enemies or skills.

Countblanc posted:

xenoblade chronicles was the first good real time with pause game

That worked pretty well because the AI was decent for many of the characters and it gave lots of combat barks to let the player know what they were doing, so you could know what was going on without constant babysitting.

The 7th Guest posted:

i think i will get Rise of the Third Power by the Ara Fall dev before the sale ends, and maybe a thing or two alongside but nothing too expensive

I'd be interested in hearing how good it is, or what problems it has. If I recall, reviews complain about an inconsistent tone.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

disposablewords posted:

I loving loved Seven. Fully 3D but with that up-in-the-air third-person perspective of an older isometric RPG, open world stealth game, with some powers like Literally Just Dishonored's Blink. Far-future post-apocalypse that's rebuilt itself up to cyberpunk levels, but people have a bit of a 40k-esque pseudo-religious understanding of technology so they consider the high-tech superpowers to be magic. (For example, there are daemons but they are AIs named such originally in the computing sense, but people speak of them as, well, demons.) The stealth is mostly pretty easy because of the third-person view, and no particular system ever gets particularly deep. I've likened it to a best-of highlight reel of stealth mechanics in games. You can also climb, jump, and blink all over the drat place - the headquarters of the different major factions can often be traversed by getting up into the rafters. Once you get good weapons, combat becomes much more viable than it was at the start, too.

The writing's decent but not amazing, but it has some genuinely good moments, and I came to really enjoy the VA work. The PC, Teriel, goes for "less-jaded Garrett from Thief" and I think hits it pretty well.

Oh, that definitely moves it way up on my to-play list! Maybe I'll get around to it before Baldur's Gate 3 takes over my gaming for the year. Thanks for the report!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

meat police posted:

I'm desperate for a good poker game that isn't infested with microtransactions that I could play with friends. Can VR Poker be played without VR? Someone here has sage knowledge on this I'm sure.

If you're talking about PokerstarsVR, which is the main VR Poker game I know of, it can't be played outside of VR. But I think Pokerstars does have fake money non-VR play in general, just on the normal interface without fun toys to play with.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Worth a mention if you like trains, Derail Valley's major update has hit, and it owns. Can be played both in VR and flatscreen (with save compatibility between the two). Adds a few new locomotives, day night cycle, weather, better braking/hydraulics/etc simulation, lots of good stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StarkRavingMad posted:

Worth a mention if you like trains, Derail Valley's major update has hit, and it owns. Can be played both in VR and flatscreen (with save compatibility between the two). Adds a few new locomotives, day night cycle, weather, better braking/hydraulics/etc simulation, lots of good stuff.

Thanks for the heads up, I had this on my wishlist but was kinda waiting for this update for what feels like forever. What exactly do you *do* in the game, is there train management stuff or is it just drivin' trains?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 2, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'd be interested in hearing how good it is, or what problems it has. If I recall, reviews complain about an inconsistent tone.

The big issue with Ara Fell was that the combat was a bit stale towards the end of the game. You'd just constantly throw your strongest abilities at random encounters and debuff the bosses before throwing the same abilities at them. They tried to fix that for Rise of the Third Power by going for a system where every character operates pretty differently, but it didn't quite work and by the end of the game you've got a strategy that involves using your strongest moves as often as you can. There are some bosses where that's not the optimal strategy, but they're a little too few and far between to make up for the sameness of the random encounters.

I think I can see what people were going for with the complaints about the inconsistent tone, but it doesn't really bother me. The character who contributes the most to that is really messed up and the story does address that, but not until later (and I can't go into any specifics without getting into spoilers).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I had this on my wishlist forever but was kinda waiting for this update for what feels like forever. What exactly do you *do* in the game, is there train management stuff or is it just drivin' trains?

It's closer to something like American Truck Simulator. You take jobs, either shunting or hauling, to make money. Money lets you buy licenses to use better locomotives, haul longer trains, haul hazardous cargo, that kind of thing. There's no overall company management, just your own finances. But at least there is a goal and progress -- some other train sims where it's just like "pick a train and a route and drive it" feel kind of directionless and unsatisfying to me. It does have a sandbox mode as well, which I haven't messed with, but from what I've read you can only use trains in the sandbox that you've unlocked in career mode first.

You have to pay for fuel, damage to the locomotives and stuff like that, although you start out with insurance coverage that means you only have to pay a tiny amount while you're still figuring stuff out, and then the insurance co-pay for screwing up and wrecking a train goes up as you buy more licenses.

The really cool part is how detailed some of trains are inside and how there's all these physical switches and levers to throw to do stuff. Here's a couple videos on two of the trains this update added:

DM3 (mechanical diesel engine with a complex manual gearbox): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6vYX3cmq4

DH4 (hydraulic diesel engine, much more simplified): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=976I6nF4tIw

And the reworked steam engine, if you wanna shovel some coal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGYzlmzoGU

(edit): worth mentioning that you don't have to use any locomotive you don't want to -- you're never assigned a particular loco for any job. So if something like the DM3 or the steam engine seem too complex for you to deal with, you can stick with the DE2, which is a little electric engine mostly used for shunting that can also do some light hauling jobs, and then save up to go straight from that to the DH4 and move up the big diesel engine when you can afford that one.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 2, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cheers for the recommendations: most likely I'll start with checking out Seven, and I'll also give XCOM a go despite it being turn-based, particularly Chimera Squad since I might enjoy the faster pace and a more hand-crafted preset squad. Never heard of them before, but I was quite intrigued by Aarklash Legacy and Tower of Time as well since they seem to be focused on the combat and tactics first and foremost and cut out the other aspects for a shorter and sweeter experience: I do like to try and keep my games within a 20 hour or so experience which is why as much as Pathfinder and other CRPGs look neat, I might pass (thought still might try out Shadowrun eventually, with the clarification where it is story-focused, not combat-focused). Weird West is one I forgot to consider but it is definitely tempting as well, but I wasn't sure if that got fixed yet: maybe it is by now.

So many games! I'm sure I'll try all of them at some point, even the ones I didn't list above like Grimrock 2 especially.

And yeah, thinking back on it, problematic implementations of RTWP have been quite apparent in my experiences as well: thoughts go back to playing Arcanum where you could cheese combat by tactically switching between real-time and turn-based when it favored you, like where a revolver you could only fire once per turn would become a machine gun if used in real-time, or a sword with a slow animation in real-time would get an incredibly amount of attacks per turn in turn-based, haha!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 2, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i havent had a big steam sale haul in a long rear end time. today i got: dark souls 2 and 3, persona 4 and 5, nier automata, yakuza like a dragon, pizza tower, ender lilies, voodoo detective, nobody saves the world, the void rains upon her heart and time wasters.

the souls, personas and nier are console double dips so not super exciting but im happy to have them all on pc finally.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the last RTwP game I played (not counting Baldur's Gate 1) was Masquereda: Songs and Shadows. It was fine, but of course the RTwP system, as it so often does, turns into a Pause and Pause and Pause and Pause... system, since enemies and AI PC's get into a clusterfuck fight and you routinely need to adjust the targeting of enemies or skills.
At which point many of the supposed benefits of being RTWP instead of turn-based evaporate and it turns into Turn-Based But More Annoying And With Less Accurate AOE Targeting

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FutureCop posted:

Well, it was inevitable. I've beaten Satellite Reign, and while incredibly satisfying, it has left me with a hunger for even more neato games of its ilk with squad-based real-time-with-pause tactics such and such.

Trying to decide what to move onto and was wondering if y'all had any suggestions. Current games in my library that I'm eyeing are Legend of Grimrock 2 (dungeon crawler so a bit of a stretch but party vibe seems cool), Shadow Tactics (was worried it might feel like a repeat/downgrade from Desperados 3 and lacking that progression system), might revisit Tyranny (tho I'd have to start all-over most likely), or maybe I could check out that Seven or Pillars of Eternity 2 that someone mentioned earlier?
If you're willing to go a bit more retro, Freedom Force (and its sequel) is a really fun RTwP tactics/rpg game about cheesy superheroes fighting even cheesier supervillains. No idea how it runs on modern systems, though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

If you're willing to go a bit more retro, Freedom Force (and its sequel) is a really fun RTwP tactics/rpg game about cheesy superheroes fighting even cheesier supervillains. No idea how it runs on modern systems, though.

2nding Freedom Force

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FutureCop posted:

I know games like XCOM 2/XCOM Chimera Squad or Shadowrun are obvious potential answers but I dunno if I can vibe with the slowness of turn-based.

Also I was curious as it seems like people treat RTWP games like the plague and strongly favor turn-based: is there a reason for this, or is it just an exaggerated drum people like to beat, like hating pineapple pizza?

Hello, I am the RTWP guy.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is a large game and with better combat than PoE, with a few missteps (boats). But other than that it feels like a solid upgrade over PoE. It just isn't like Satellite Reign at all.

Tyranny has combat. You can trivialise it in hilarious ways. You mostly play it for the interesting take on an RPG. You aren't the unknown hero saving the world, you are trapped as a (privileged) cog in the machine of an expansionist empire.

If you are looking for RTWP XCOM, well, Aliens: Dark Descent just released, though it probably needs some time in the oven still.

Shadowrun (both Dragonfall and Hong Kong) aren't played for the combat, though it's serviceable. The vibe of the games and the story are what's interesting. Lots of text to read and people to talk to, but they are engaging and well-written. Dragonfall also has one mission where you and your buddies (including a Berlin punk band singer) take out a Nazi compound.

Slightest hint of a spoiler for Dragonfall:

"I didn't know you could sing"
"I was a singer in a punk band. gently caress no I can't sing"
:allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don’t remember who it was that recommended the Balatro demo ITT but

a.) drat you
b.) They reset the demo limit as part of a patch to make Steam track it to prevent trickery, so you can play it a little more
c.) drat you

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Bremen posted:

This seems like it describes about 90% of the internet since the day I installed AOL off a CD that came in the mail.

Everything has always been lovely, but we've found ways to streamline and automate the poo poo. I just get the feeling that some people think it's somehow more legitimate to plagiarize if there's an AI middleman of sorts.

kooshkaboose
May 18, 2023

by Pragmatica
i just search steams store from the cheapest up to 5 dollars to get some real gems on sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://steam250.com/hidden_gems

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anilEhilated posted:

gently caress yeah freedom force owns and it's hilarious too. pitch perfect bonkers silver age announcers yelling at you about ENERGY X and a russian character called NUCLEAR WINTER with ENERGY X ICE POWERS who has HIS OWN THEME SONG it slaps

I just loaded it up and it works fine, you might need to change the sound engine manually (i used miles 2d positional).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

For those of you who've played Stranger of Paradise, what the heck did you rebind the interact button to? Because there is no way I'm going to get through an entire game holding Option to use something every 30 seconds. The combat rocks, and I'm digging the Nioh Fantasy vibes, but wow I hate holding a tiny button all the time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who've played Stranger of Paradise, what the heck did you rebind the interact button to? Because there is no way I'm going to get through an entire game holding Option to use something every 30 seconds. The combat rocks, and I'm digging the Nioh Fantasy vibes, but wow I hate holding a tiny button all the time.

Clicking in one of the sticks. L3 or R3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jack Trades posted:

Clicking in one of the sticks. L3 or R3.

This mapping has cut short more than one playthrough for me. Thank God for Steam input.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How long did it take people to finish FF7R? Howlongtobeat says it’s kind of medium-length but I never really know what to think of those numbers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

About 40 hours including all the little sidequests and minigames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think about 40-50 hours in my case. I didn't go for 100% though.