Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

If you've got different locks with different keys, it wouldn't surprise me if they're different brands. In which case you're probably wanna go and buy all new locks and have the store rekey them all to be the same. If they're all the same brand but use different keys then yeah a locksmith should be able to easily get them all to be the same key.

I had Schlage handles with Kwikset deadbolts, which I assume Gary installed because he's not very bright and also cheap. When we bought the place I had the local locksmiths come by the day of closing to just take care of everything since there was so much else going on and I'm glad I did - turns out that there were keyed sliding glass doors that I hadn't noticed that used Schlage cylinders so they just replaced all the Kwikset stuff with Schlage and keyed everything the same and cleaned and lubricated everything. It was totally worth the several hundred bucks to have at least one thing just done and not deal with what turned out to be 6 doors that needed some level of attention.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, and this is the main reason I'm posting right now - the basement smells incredibly musty now. There wasn't any detectable odour the previous times I visited the house, so this is an unpleasant surprise. It's really quite bad. How... Bad a sign is that? Are we talking "just throw a dehumidifier up and it will be fine" or something closer to "oh poo poo you walls are full of mold that's needs to be taken care of ASAP!

It's fairly likely the previous owners had a dehumidifier down there that they took with them. It's amazing how well they solve musty basement smells.

If you're looking for one I'd suggest getting the inverter type - quieter, much more efficient to the point that it's totally worth spending the extra couple hundred on it because it will be paid back in the first year or so in lower power bulls. You probably also want one with a pump on it unless there is a sump pit you can put it near and have ti gravity drain into. Most of the inverter units are "nicer" so will probably have this feature.

Don't even think about trying to use one with emptying the drawer. Or do - it will teach you just how much humidity is in your basement and the smell will make sense. In my old house with a tiny basement (maybe 600 sq ft?) I'd have to empty the thing twice a day and it would fill up and stop overnight anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Has anyone successfully revived an A/C compressor with a hard start kit? I know I need to replace system soon but kit arrives tomo. It'd be nice to get a little more time and not buy a system during in peak demand.

I have a ~13YO AC compressor that makes a loud hum for ~1 sec then turns off. Gauges dont blip during that time. Condenser fan runs. Took off 13yo 70/7.5uf +/-5% cap, "70uf" terminals read 62 so I figured okay easy fix...got a new one at Ace hardware and same deal. (BTW: Props to Ace...bought a run cap at 8AM on a Saturday. $40 is pricier than Amazon but worth it if it worked.)

High today is 90°F.

Anyone fix enough A/C units to give me my chances?

EDIT: Prob should start calling around today. Around here A/C repair is infamous and the one time I've had them out that was reinforced. $50/lb for R410, didnt bother weighing it, charged me for 5 lbs.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 1, 2023

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Motronic posted:

If you're looking for one I'd suggest getting the inverter type - quieter, much more efficient to the point that it's totally worth spending the extra couple hundred on it because it will be paid back in the first year or so in lower power bulls. You probably also want one with a pump on it unless there is a sump pit you can put it near and have ti gravity drain into. Most of the inverter units are "nicer" so will probably have this feature.

Also make sure to check your utility provider for rebates for buying an energy efficient one, we got $45 from ours after purchasing our dehumidifier.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like it could be your capacitor yeah. I've never had to do it myself. Clean the contacts really well, and check the wiring leading back to the control unit for any damage. If the copper gets wet it can sometimes corrode (turn green) and eventually fail. Kicking on the compressor requires ~45-80 amps instantaneous so any line losses are a big deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Has anyone successfully revived an A/C compressor with a hard start kit? I know I need to replace system soon but kit arrives tomo. It'd be nice to get a little more time and not buy a system during in peak demand.

I have a ~13YO AC compressor that makes a loud hum for ~1 sec then turns off. Gauges dont blip during that time. Condenser fan runs. Took off 13yo 70/7.5uf +/-5% cap, "70uf" terminals read 62 so I figured okay easy fix...got a new one at Ace hardware and same deal. (BTW: Props to Ace...bought a run cap at 8AM on a Saturday. $40 is pricier than Amazon but worth it if it worked.)

High today is 90°F.

Anyone fix enough A/C units to give me my chances?

EDIT: Prob should start calling around today. Around here A/C repair is infamous and the one time I've had them out that was reinforced. $50/lb for R410, didnt bother weighing it, charged me for 5 lbs.

Why did you choose a hard start kit? Have you tested or replaced the start capacitor? Because it sounds like that's the problem.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Why did you choose a hard start kit? Have you tested or replaced the start capacitor? Because it sounds like that's the problem.

Answer to both: There’s no start cap, only a run cap. :(

I bet this compressor woulda lasted more than 13 years if there was

Edit: the wiring diagram for the condenser even includes a “field optional start kit” loving fucks. Prob gonna shell out $7k because they didn’t add $25 worth of parts

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 1, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Answer to both: There’s no start cap, only a run cap. :(

I bet this compressor woulda lasted more than 13 years if there was

Edit: the wiring diagram for the condenser even includes a “field optional start kit” loving fucks. Prob gonna shell out $7k because they didn’t add $25 worth of parts

Did you test or replace the run cap?

Why do you think that you need to replace it immediately if a start cap kit or replacement run cap solves the problem? That is certainly not a conclusion I would have made from either scenario.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Did you test or replace the run cap?

Why do you think that you need to replace it immediately if a start cap kit or replacement run cap solves the problem? That is certainly not a conclusion I would have made from either scenario.

From prev post:

CarForumPoster posted:

Took off 13yo 70/7.5uf +/-5% cap, "70uf" terminals read 62 so I figured okay easy fix...got a new one at Ace hardware and same deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

From prev post:

Okay, voltage at the unit? Something changed. It could be the power delivery to the unit. You could try starting this thing in the morning and find it's okay if you had high demand in your area/on your transformer and were in a voltage sag situation. There are just so many things to be sure of before "throw it all out and start over" especially at this price point.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Okay, voltage at the unit? Something changed. It could be the power delivery to the unit. You could try starting this thing in the morning and find it's okay if you had high demand in your area/on your transformer and were in a voltage sag situation. There are just so many things to be sure of before "throw it all out and start over" especially at this price point.

Voltage is normal. Have tried it at 10PM last night, 7AM, etc. Terminals on contactor don't look corroded, tried reseating anyway, can't get to the actual compressor motor easily to check connections there. Tried firing compressor with fan disconnected. I have a clamp style multimeter, so can check current in a bit.

And no kidding about price. .

$7K had 0 yelp ratings and I am quote # 19. Helpful on phone though.
$10K seemed professional.
$14K havent talked to yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Voltage is normal. Have tried it at 10PM last night, 7AM, etc. Terminals on contactor don't look corroded, tried reseating anyway, can't get to the actual compressor motor easily to check connections there. Tried firing compressor with fan disconnected. I have a clamp style multimeter, so can check current in a bit.

And no kidding about price. .

$7K had 0 yelp ratings and I am quote # 19. Helpful on phone though.
$10K seemed professional.
$14K havent talked to yet.

Yeah, I don't doubt the price at all. It's completely ridiculous compared to commercial where this kind of crap would never fly and in a worst case scenario for your system would vac it into a recovery cylinder, sweat in a replacement ~$300 compressor and dump your refrigerant back in for under a couple grand. But that's homeowner junk and homeowner treatment and homeowner contractors.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not a professional, but if it doesn't have a start cap, a hard start kit might actually help. For the price I'd definitely throw one at it before shitcanning the entire thing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devicenull posted:

Not a professional, but if it doesn't have a start cap, a hard start kit might actually help. For the price I'd definitely throw one at it before shitcanning the entire thing.

Yea that's the plan. Lets hope Amazon actually delivers it tomorrow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

From my experience, a hard-start kit is delaying the inevitable. Hopefully until the fall, when the gouging turns to heating systems

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Our old house has a front door I quite like, with a diamond-shaped window at the very top. Unfortunately, there's an enormous gap at the bottom -- you can see sunlight shining through it in this picture. The first time I tried applying weatherstripping, the door simply wouldn't close at all. Furthermore, the gap narrows from the bottom to the top. Part of the problem is that the weatherstripping is where the door hits the face of the doorframe, not on the side of the door, where the gap is.

The yellow arrow points at the weatherstripping. The door swings past the dark-brown section and comes to rest against the dull tan weatherstripping. I have no idea if this is how doors usually work.

I like the way the door looks; apparently this diamond window was popular from ~~ the 50s to the 70s (according to one Reddit post). It's solid wood. I would rather not replace it, because that sort of door isn't fashionable any more and would be hard to find.

What's the right way to fill in the crack?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think my initial step would be to figure out what is square and what is not. If everything is square (and maybe even if it's not) it may be possible to adjust and/or add a larger side jamb to fill up that gap. If things are out of square it may be possible to fix that - one common move is pulling the jamb towards the hinge side using a very long screw through one of the hinge plate holes long enough to hit a stud if your out-of-square can be fixed in that way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Would bronze weatherstripping work instead? It is a thin "V" of material that you attach around the frame and contacts the outer perimeter of the door, not the part facing outward.

It isn't as good of a seal as foam or rubber weatherstripping but it doesn't alter how far the foot swings to shut and it would bridge the gap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFqedJQTkRY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can I get a goon opinion on the location of these knobs? I think this is crazy but apparently this is a “thing” for TikTok grey distressed farmhouse style. They would drive me insane.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 2, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks dumb to me, but definitely still functional. Some people just need to look for something.....ANYTHING....to look a bit different and that's a low effort low consequence thing to do.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can I get a goon opinion on the location of these knobs? I think this is crazy but apparently this is a “thing” for TikTok grey distressed farmhouse style. They would drive me insane.

These would immediately drive me nuts because I'm sure each one of those doors opens a different way, and there's no indication of how.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

lmao I think it's dumb but I am an old person posting on the somethingawful.com forums

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unless the door hinges are actually at the top of the cabinet doors, then that's pretty cool. But I doubt that's what's going on

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

devicenull posted:

These would immediately drive me nuts because I'm sure each one of those doors opens a different way, and there's no indication of how.

Chaos option: they open outwards and upwards

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Unless the door hinges are actually at the top of the cabinet doors, then that's pretty cool. But I doubt that's what's going on

That is indeed not what is going on

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Chaos option: they open outwards and upwards

Nah, chaos option: they're held on entirely with magnets and the door falls off when you pull it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

YES! Congratulations. :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s a beautiful piece of art

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yissss. This rules and congrats.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lmao that is perfect, at first blush I thought it was some kind of weeb katana shadow box.

Hanzo steel indeed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gold mine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Amazing!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

loving incredible

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lmao that is perfect, at first blush I thought it was some kind of weeb katana shadow box.

Hanzo steel indeed.

Same, it is straight up art imo.

When you were partying, I studied the shovel blade.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Perfect thread title

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So that was the leaking section then no?

Gang tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh man, why can't images be thread titles.