Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I enjoyed the Tetris movie but it also felt like some very weird propaganda. Even my spouse, who is not a weird history nerd, noticed how the Soviet Union is depicted as this purely drab grey concrete depressing hellhole which the protagonist does his part to save with the power of free-market capitalism. I also doubt that the real story involved the producer of The Black Onyx almost getting killed by the KGB. My favourite parts were more reminiscent of Halt and Catch Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Halloween Jack posted:

I enjoyed the Tetris movie but it also felt like some very weird propaganda. Even my spouse, who is not a weird history nerd, noticed how the Soviet Union is depicted as this purely drab grey concrete depressing hellhole which the protagonist does his part to save with the power of free-market capitalism. I also doubt that the real story involved the producer of The Black Onyx almost getting killed by the KGB. My favourite parts were more reminiscent of Halt and Catch Fire.

That kind of framing isn't too surprising, but ironic considering how much worse things got in Russia after mass privatization in the 90s. On the other hand creators of hit puzzle games probably did do much better for themselves.

Something that annoys me in For All Mankind is how the alt-history USSR is supposed to be an economic powerhouse that beat the US to the moon, dodged Afghanistan, and refocused it's efforts on space exploration, but their actual role in the show is still to be classic backwards Russkies who have to steal all their ideas from the US and then mess them up anyway because of technical incompetence.

FAM is just really bad at showing the supposed outcomes of its alt-history on-screen in general so far though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The version of Pajitnov in the movie has motivations and a view of the Soviet system that's almost completely different from the real Pajitnov, from what I've read.

Randallteal posted:

Something that annoys me in For All Mankind is how the alt-history USSR is supposed to be an economic powerhouse that beat the US to the moon, dodged Afghanistan, and refocused it's efforts on space exploration, but their actual role in the show is still to be classic backwards Russkies who have to steal all their ideas from the US and then mess them up anyway because of technical incompetence.

FAM is just really bad at showing the supposed outcomes of its alt-history on-screen in general so far though.

My favorite example of this is the Buran bit in season 2, where the Buran will explode if the Americans don't warn them about the critical error in the solid rocket boosters. Even in this alternate history it just can't accept that the Soviet shuttle was an improvement on the American. Or how in this alternate timeline American astronauts visiting the USSR are hushed away while in reality, even Neil Armstrong was given a hero's reception when he visited at the height of the Cold War.

I liked the extra bits from the second season behind the scenes which fleshed out the alternate timeline a bit, like how Close Encounters and not Star Wars was supposed to be the breakout sci-fi movie of 1977. Too bad those things were completely ignored in the show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Invasion any good? Just noticed it on ATV+ and it says there’s a new season soon.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Invasion any good? Just noticed it on ATV+ and it says there’s a new season soon.

It's really bad. They kill off their best actor, Sam Neill, in the episode he's introduced and it's downhill from there. It's super boring and I quit it before they even showed the aliens. Which is not even until episode 6 or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m enjoying Hijack a lot. Stars Idris Elba, the subject is exactly what its title suggests. I’m surprised by how it’s managing to pull off a twist or two. Low concept, high polish. It’s pulpy fun.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I’m enjoying Hijack a lot. Stars Idris Elba, the subject is exactly what its title suggests. I’m surprised by how it’s managing to pull off a twist or two. Low concept, high polish. It’s pulpy fun.

Same. It is much better than I expected. I really want to know the Hijackers' motivation

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Randallteal posted:

That kind of framing isn't too surprising, but ironic considering how much worse things got in Russia after mass privatization in the 90s. On the other hand creators of hit puzzle games probably did do much better for themselves.

A world where Korolev survived and kept the N1 project on track (the divergence point of FAM) doesn't necessarily imply a Soviet Union that kept full technological parity with the US. In that world both sides advanced more quickly due to the longer and stronger space race, it wasn't just the USSR that dodged some real world bullets and put more money into tech.

I agree that they don't more than dabble in exploring the alt history side of things outside of space stuff, but given the push of the show I never expected them to. Alternate history done seriously really spirals in strange ways.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

It's really bad. They kill off their best actor, Sam Neill, in the episode he's introduced and it's downhill from there. It's super boring and I quit it before they even showed the aliens. Which is not even until episode 6 or something.

This might be heresey around here, but Goldshifteh Farahani is probably a better actor than Sam Neill full stop, and is definitely a better actor than Sam Neill in current year.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chairman Capone posted:

My favorite example of this is the Buran bit in season 2, where the Buran will explode if the Americans don't warn them about the critical error in the solid rocket boosters. Even in this alternate history it just can't accept that the Soviet shuttle was an improvement on the American. .
You think it’s more plausible that in a time-limited scenario, after they stole plans for a part they would take time to study and improve it?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Boris Galerkin posted:

it drags in a lot of places. the navy seal is tiresome and a lot of the interpersonal drama is real poo poo

i still binge watched it cause it kept my attention and ill watch s2

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maybe I’ll watch Hijack instead. Does the whole season take place entirely on a plane? Or is it kinda like the Prison Break show where a lot of it is flashbacks?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You think it’s more plausible that in a time-limited scenario, after they stole plans for a part they would take time to study and improve it?

The actual Buran from our timeline was a huge improvement on the US shuttle, including the Soviets deciding that solid rockets were a bad idea and avoiding them, so it doesn’t really make sense for that not to be the case in the setting of FAM.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
On ep 2 of Hijack and I’m liking it. Although it’s already silly as I’m sure retracting an incident report would need some sort of code word, or lack thereof to signal an issue in case of hijacking.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I’ll watch Hijack instead. Does the whole season take place entirely on a plane? Or is it kinda like the Prison Break show where a lot of it is flashbacks?

Mostly the plane, but there is some stuff beforehand and some of the cast are people who are not on the plane, but are responding to the events on the plane. No extended flashbacks

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Enver Gjokaj will be on the new season of Invasion, so I will be giving it a shot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Watching Hijack episode 1 right now and I had to pause/stop the thing after throwing my hands up in the air shouting what the gently caress, because what the gently caress? The pilot letting the hijackers inside the cockpit, and the pilot being nondescript saying “it’s an incident” instead of saying “there are guys with guns”, Idris Elba texting the exact same vague message about a “security incident” instead of “plane hijacked 6 guys with guns get help”. Ugh I can’t even/don’t even want to finish this.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Boris Galerkin posted:

Watching Hijack episode 1 right now and I had to pause/stop the thing after throwing my hands up in the air shouting what the gently caress, because what the gently caress? The pilot letting the hijackers inside the cockpit, and the pilot being nondescript saying “it’s an incident” instead of saying “there are guys with guns”, Idris Elba texting the exact same vague message about a “security incident” instead of “plane hijacked 6 guys with guns get help”. Ugh I can’t even/don’t even want to finish this.

I lol’d at that text too. Love to be coy because the plot demands it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

On the other hand I'm kinda chuckling at the thought of some writers for this show being put on a list for googling for information on hijacking airplanes, weapons, plausible scenarios and stuff.

Does Tim Apple still have rules in place for Apple TV+ productions where bad guys can't be shown using Apple products so as to not tarnish the good image of Apple?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The bad guys haven't used any branded items so far. Idris Elba rolls with a set of Beats headphones though. I want to be in the room where they decide these things.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

On the other hand I'm kinda chuckling at the thought of some writers for this show being put on a list for googling for information on hijacking airplanes, weapons, plausible scenarios and stuff.

Does Tim Apple still have rules in place for Apple TV+ productions where bad guys can't be shown using Apple products so as to not tarnish the good image of Apple?

That's not just for Apple TV+ shows, it's a condition they have for use of their products, specifically the iPhone, I believe. It's stated in the permit as something like "[Apple product] should be shown only in the best light." Back when 24 was on the air, you could tell someone was a bad guy because they were using a PC.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

OK I managed to go back to episode 1 to finish it and at the end I just started laughing right after Idris Elba 's son says that his dad's line of work is "NEGOTIATION" like lmao because they cut the scene to make it suspenseful and everything.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’ve been watching Drops Of God. 3 eps in and this is low key kind of amazing? It’s so ridiculous. Really enjoying it

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
High Desert cancelled (obv.)

Apple's all-in on Silo now. GoT 2.0 L.F.G.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah watched the first ep of High Desert after an intriguing enough trailer, but it just didn’t land enough to make us want to continue.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m finding it hard to believe Idris Elba’s character’s profession exists because wouldn’t everything just be done through lawyers?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

He's basically the John Wick of negotiating. They just haven't really showed him off quite yet. He's gonna make deals left and right on that plane

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Scrotum Modem posted:

He's basically the John Wick of negotiating. They just haven't really showed him off quite yet. He's gonna make deals left and right on that plane

The Negoti-Plane

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched all of High Desert and it’s easily the show I regret watching the most this year. Like, at least The Idol is fun to laugh at. High Desert is just a huge nothingburger.

Silo was a cool show, glad it got renewed.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched all of High Desert and it’s easily the show I regret watching the most this year. Like, at least The Idol is fun to laugh at. High Desert is just a huge nothingburger.

Silo was a cool show, glad it got renewed.

I more or less watched High Desert at the same time as Hap and Leonard and High Desert was no Hap and Leonard.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Decided to give Hijack episode 2 a shot before deciding whether or not to just write it off. I’ll prolly continue watching newer episodes after they come out depending on if I have time and whatnot. It’s pretty bad IMO but not at the level of hate watching.

Episode 2 spoilers for Hijack:

First of all if Idris Elba wouldn’t have sent his stupid cryptic lovey dovey message and instead just wrote “plane hijacked men women with guns serious get help” then we wouldn’t have had to sit there listening to that guy call and talk awkwardly to his ex who’s clearly over it.

Next his whole plan with the pilot involved just way too many Rube Goldberg level of things going just right for it to have worked. He had to have convinced the terrorists to listen to him. The terrorists had to have sat him down in first class. The game had to have worked and not been disabled like the Wi-Fi was. It all hinged on nobody seeing the two chatting with each other. And most insulting of all, it depended on the idea that the trained pilot with presumably 10+ years of experience flying would not have thought of a way to discreetly alert air traffic control.

Poor Arabic ATC person who didn’t get the hint that there was something wrong. First of all, driving over to a coworkers place uninvited is creepy as gently caress. But then just barging in anyway like you own the place. Not very smart.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I love hijacked. The master negotiator stirs up poo poo to force the pilot away from captain's chair then stirs up more poo poo to force the pilot back into the captain's chair all in the same episode. Wish I didn't have to wait a week for each ep tho

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hijack is nearly as dumb as Treason. And I don't mean that entirely as an insult.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
At the very least hijacker’s is already 1000x better than that Luther film on Netflix. He’s been in some garbage in recent years.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

I love hijacked. The master negotiator stirs up poo poo to force the pilot away from captain's chair then stirs up more poo poo to force the pilot back into the captain's chair all in the same episode. Wish I didn't have to wait a week for each ep tho

I’m still laughing at the big suspenseful reveal that the guy’s father is a negotiator when the white guy was asking them what Idris Elba did for a living.

If it weren’t for Tim Apple’s rules I could see a big reveal showing that he’s a professional negotiator like a Tom “my boss sent me to make you an offer you can’t refuse” Hagen type but well we see Idris prominently using an iPhone so he’s gotta be a good guy.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hopefully Idris at least get to smack around some chumps in the last episode once it is all out. I'll just watch that one

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 4, 2023

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If that happens, expect cheesy one-liners

*knocks a dude out*
"Negotiation's over." :smug:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Scrotum Modem posted:

If that happens, expect cheesy one-liners

*knocks a dude out*
"Negotiation's over." :smug:

We'll never get it, but there's never been a better time for a "talk to the fist" joke.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish they would lean in to the actual negotiation part of things. He’s a master negotiator there’s no reason he should be involved at all in hand to hand combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Show is dumb. I want to know why the hijackers are doing their thing but it’s not worth the time to watch. I’ll just read the episode recaps