Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Noticing a fair number of dead tweets today, did Musk finally gently caress up something even more catastrophic than normal?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Icon Of Sin posted:

Noticing a fair number of dead tweets today, did Musk finally gently caress up something even more catastrophic than normal?

I don't know how to tell you this ... Twitter spun in. there were no survivors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Icon Of Sin posted:

Twitter is breaking down in about a dozen different ways today. Musk says he's "rate limiting" connections because Twitter is supposedly being swarmed by bots scraping his precious content, but the real reason probably has to do with his cloud providers cutting him off at the end of Q2 because he hasn't paid them in over a year.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Icon Of Sin posted:

They're having some (self-inflicted) issues.

some dude on Mastodon posted:

Twitter is firing off about 10 requests a second to itself to try and fetch content that never arrives because Elon's latest genius innovation is to block people from being able to read Twitter without logging in.

This likely created some hellish conditions that the engineers never envisioned and so we get this comedy of errors resulting in the most epic of self-owns, the self-DDOS.

Also, they've decided to stiff Google of all companies.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Also, they've ..decided to stiff Google of all companies.

That won't end well at all. :stonklol:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Pine Cone Jones posted:

News from Kherson

Or not because my dumbass screenshotted something wrong

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1675217270367301637

This isn't the EVE Online thread.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

standard.deviant posted:

This isn't the EVE Online thread.

It's built to higher standards.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It'll be good farmland in the future, if it doesn't get poisoned by DU ammo and any of the hundreds of other ways modern warfare is an environmental nightmare.

Oh for sure. 60+ years of soviet industrial runoff - or at least the sludge that deposited at the bottom of the river - will be great for farming and human consumption

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

Oh for sure. 60+ years of soviet industrial runoff - or at least the sludge that deposited at the bottom of the river - will be great for farming and human consumption

And considering that farmable land isn't exactly a thing that Ukraine is short off. So maybe leave the industrial sludge sediment to rot and dilude for a decade or five before taking it into use.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

M_Gargantua posted:

I think you can bridge silt with enough rough sawn timber, and they've got the tractors and flat beds to move that sort of cheap bulk obstacle countermeasure.

That's more where I was going with the bridging, not that you could just roll right through the silt mud but even actually bridging across that poo poo has to be an easier prospect than when it was all water.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Some tanks like the K2 have a river fording kit with a telescoping snorkel for the commander–you're saying it can't make it through silt?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
No but I know a few farmers who can dump enough nonporous poo poo on top of silt to make it tank safe.

It's like building 4 castles on a swamp but they keep sinking. Except the castles are cheap gravel and timber and there is no building since you can just yeet it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduroy_road

They're nowhere near as good as a metalled road, but they beat the poo poo out of just grading a patch of dirt if you have to deal with waterlogged ground.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cool, now I know what those are called

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
feel like we haven't seen log cope cages in a while

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A.o.D. posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduroy_road

They're nowhere near as good as a metalled road, but they beat the poo poo out of just grading a patch of dirt if you have to deal with waterlogged ground.

Every time I hear/read "corduroy road" this gets stuck in my head. Enjoy.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I found out long ago
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)
It's a long way down the corduroy road
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad
Vlad be nimble, Vlad be quick
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)
Take a ride on a lake bed kick
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad
Corduroy ro-oh-o-oh-oad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
'Cause we got a great big corduroy
Loggin' through the night
Yeah, we got a great big corduroy
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our corduroy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way
We gonna roll this muddy corduroy
'Cross the USA
Corduroy (ah, you wanna give me a 9-5 on that, Pig Pen?)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

Some tanks like the K2 have a river fording kit with a telescoping snorkel for the commander–you're saying it can't make it through silt?

Swimming through water may in fact be easier than wading through mud deeper than the tank is tall, yes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

You know some mfer is going to name their tank Artax and then just drive it into the slurry

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Any big hovercraft still exist?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
bit of interesting listening about what russian security agencies were up to during the mutiny

galeotti (rusi among other things)

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1675439360068448257?s=20

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

That's more where I was going with the bridging, not that you could just roll right through the silt mud but even actually bridging across that poo poo has to be an easier prospect than when it was all water.

I very much doubt that. At minimum Ukraine would have to build 3 kilometers of road that would be very slow process and impossible to hide. And that would give them a one or at most few single-lane avenues of attack. Russia could just decide whether they use artillery to destroy the road before it's finished, or wait until attack convoy is crossing the road and then cut it at both ends. Amphibious landing is a difficult prospect, but at least they can be done suddenly, from all sorts of directions and at any number of landing spots.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Saukkis posted:

I very much doubt that. At minimum Ukraine would have to build 3 kilometers of road that would be very slow process and impossible to hide. And that would give them a one or at most few single-lane avenues of attack. Russia could just decide whether they use artillery to destroy the road before it's finished, or wait until attack convoy is crossing the road and then cut it at both ends. Amphibious landing is a difficult prospect, but at least they can be done suddenly, from all sorts of directions and at any number of landing spots.

Corduroy roads can be put up very quickly, and are quick to repair, as well. They're adequate for getting heavy machinery through swampy ground, even if you cant move very quickly over them. Of course, it can be damaged by artillery, and yeah, it would be a single avenue of advance, but it's a workable option if nothing better presents itself. Your points about amphibious landings are correct, but a makeshift road has it beat on sustainability, operating conditions, and operation tempo. You don't need specialized vehicles that an army in the field wouldn't already have to make or operate on one, and any truck driver can drive across one day or night. That's not to say that an amphibious landing wouldn't have utility, just that there are probably lower risks and greater utility in using a temporary road surface in difficult ground, depending on the exact conditions in the field and the tactical realities at any given moment of the conflict.

edit: Swamp mats are a thing, and are even faster to build, but with the cost of having to be manufactured ahead of time and brought into position, rather than sourced in place. With that said, if friendly logistics are just on the other side of a river, they can be a pretty good to great option.

editx2: Bonus road building video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LzIncX8YaI

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 2, 2023

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Sherman made 10 miles of corduroy road a day in is march through the Carolina swamps with pure manpower so around two miles of road with modern machinery probably wont be so bad.

https://youtu.be/Q9Tw4W-WO-4?t=312

Here is a ww2 training film on building military roads over difficult terrain.

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 2, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Sherman made 10 miles of corduroy road a day in is march through the Carolina swamps with pure manpower so around two miles of road with modern machinery probably wont be so bad.

Did he have modern long range howitzers and rocket artillery trained on him all the time?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
It would still be too slow even with modern trackways. The big problem would be the single lane. An engineering tank carrying mats will reach the end of the road, roll out couple tens of meters of road, and then back out of the road all the way to the start so the next tank can do it's run. They would have to build two roads side-by-side to make it at all practical, that's at least couple thousand rolls of mat. I wouldn't dare to do that under easy drone surveillance.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Did he have modern long range howitzers and rocket artillery trained on him all the time?

No, but let me stress this part, he had horses and privates.

With modernish equipment you could get the 3 miles of road installed in a couple of hours day or night, and Russian command is notoriously slow to react, heavily centralized, and discourages initiative. If you can secure some element of surprise, you could already have a breakout force demanding attention and pushing back the field artillery. It wouldn't prevent longer ranged artillery from attacking the road, but again, this kind of road is fairly easy to repair. It's not impossible, and it's been done (a lot) before.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I've been wondering if destroying the dam was actually a really bad idea for the Russians, if they hoped to make attacks more difficult. Dnipro river was already a considerable obstacle and a wider probably doesn't materially change that, maybe make the prospect slightly easier if the enemy can't observe you right from the opposite bank.

My understanding was that the swamps at the left bank would have been a considerably bigger obstacle, a difficult passage for infantry and no place for any vehicle. If Ukraine would want to attack around Kherson the only options would seem to be to cross around Antonivka bridge and then continue south along the highway. Or do an amphibous assault through the Konka river, zooming past Russian defence positions until the river reaches solid ground at Oleshky, quite a sketchy prospect. But when the area was flooded there was probably paths all over the place deep enough for small boats. For example the attached satellite photo of Oleshky, I bet lot of that would be passable.

If Ukrainians had been preparing for an amphibous assault the dam collapse would have been a golden opportunity for them. Which I guess is a proof that they didn't destroy the dam.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Saukkis posted:

I've been wondering if destroying the dam was actually a really bad idea for the Russians, if they hoped to make attacks more difficult. Dnipro river was already a considerable obstacle and a wider probably doesn't materially change that, maybe make the prospect slightly easier if the enemy can't observe you right from the opposite bank.

My understanding was that the swamps at the left bank would have been a considerably bigger obstacle, a difficult passage for infantry and no place for any vehicle. If Ukraine would want to attack around Kherson the only options would seem to be to cross around Antonivka bridge and then continue south along the highway. Or do an amphibous assault through the Konka river, zooming past Russian defence positions until the river reaches solid ground at Oleshky, quite a sketchy prospect. But when the area was flooded there was probably paths all over the place deep enough for small boats. For example the attached satellite photo of Oleshky, I bet lot of that would be passable.

If Ukrainians had been preparing for an amphibous assault the dam collapse would have been a golden opportunity for them. Which I guess is a proof that they didn't destroy the dam.

Pretty sure the dam collapse was a combination of deliberate Russian mismanagement and mother nature doin mother nature things. i.e. close the spillways or don't open enough, in order to overtop the dam and within a couple days you will be well over full pool and then welp, the dam is coming down very quickly after that.

Explosives would make things happen faster if you can put a hole into the dam somehow and allow water through into an area it wasn't supposed to be in, but its more debatable whether what Russians had rigged the dam with would actually have brought it down, where millions of gallons of river water going over the top will definitely erode it to the point of collapse.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 2, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

Pretty sure the dam collapse was a combination of deliberate Russian mismanagement and mother nature doin mother nature things. i.e. close the spillways or don't open enough, in order to overtop the dam and within a couple days you will be well over full pool and then welp, the dam is coming down very quickly after that.

Explosives would make things happen faster if you can put a hole into the dam somehow and allow water through into an area it wasn't supposed to be in, but its more debatable whether what Russians had rigged the dam with would actually have brought it down, where millions of gallons of river water going over the top will definitely erode it to the point of collapse.

Wait, is this a bit or are we seriously still doing the "Why would Russia blow up their own X?" thing?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IPCRESS posted:

Give’em a squadron of LCACs and see what happens.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, is this a bit or are we seriously still doing the "Why would Russia blow up their own X?" thing?

Have you ever seen someone trying to blow up a dam? It is nearly impossible, dams only fail if you don't want them to.

So the dam being gone is evidence that the Russians destroyed it accidentally. If they wanted to blow it up it would still be standing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

Give’em a squadron of LCACs and see what happens.

So that the first bit of debris lying around costs them a million dollar prop that they never have enough of?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IPCRESS posted:

Largest hovercraft in the world were built in Fedosiya on Crimea and Ukraine sold a few to Greece and China.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Maybe an ekranoplan

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I think it's very legitimate to be torn between "Why would Russia blow up their own X?" and "Russia couldn't possibly be incompetent enough to let X happen". Plenty of both to go around from the last year.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Reminder it's not actually "their own".

Edit: and no, they don't really believe it is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alchenar posted:

I think it's very legitimate to be torn between "Why would Russia blow up their own X?" and "Russia couldn't possibly be incompetent enough to let X happen". Plenty of both to go around from the last year.

I thought the obvious evidence that the collapse happened well below the waterline, the seismic indications of explosions, and reported satellite IR imagery of explosions had resolved this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

I thought the obvious evidence that the collapse happened well below the waterline, the seismic indications of explosions, and reported satellite IR imagery of explosions had resolved this question.

Well Im just asking questions!