Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
While I was getting ready for church, my roommate put on Extraction 2, because he was a fan of the first movie. And even though he liked it as a whole, it wound up having an IIMM right in the very first scene, which has the main character being helicoptered from Dhaka, Bangladesh, to a hospital in Dubai to save his life.

Bangladesh is between India and Myanmar. Dubai is on the Arab Peninsula, all the way past the opposite end of India. Dhaka and Dubai are over 2000 miles from each other! It's about like flying him from Los Angeles to DC. If they absolutely had to get him out of Bangladesh, it would have made more sense to drop him literally anywhere in India, or even in Nepal. How many choppers even have the fuel capacity to cross all of India, plus the Gulf of Oman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A quick Google search says the longest range a civilian helicopter has is about 800 miles, with other leaders in the area having 600-700 on average. They also all have a top speed of about 200mph, so...yeah, that's a long-rear end "emergency medevac" both in terms of time and distance. The long-range ones seem to be used for search and rescue missions primarily.

Most helicopters have a 200-400m range, and one of the more common medevac helicopters has a top speed of 150mph and a range of 225 miles.

Thanks, adhd, for making me need to look up things like this instead of being generally aware of "they don't have that long a range".

E: and since I do know this, this is a solved problem in the US. Long-distance high-acuity medical transport is typically handled by fixed wing aircraft who land at smaller airports where a local helicopter or ambulance crew is standing by to transport them to the hospital.

E2: vvvv i seriously considered applying to work for a company that does exactly that.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jun 25, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

E: and since I do know this, this is a solved problem in the US. Long-distance high-acuity medical transport is typically handled by fixed wing aircraft who land at smaller airports where a local helicopter or ambulance crew is standing by to transport them to the hospital.

Yup, when a friend got really badly injured he was flown by helicopter to the airport, then on a little bombadier or learjet style twin engine jet from Juneau to Seattle, then back on a chopper to the hospital. Quite a ride.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Arrath posted:

Yup, when a friend got really badly injured he was flown by helicopter to the airport, then on a little bombadier or learjet style twin engine jet from Juneau to Seattle, then back on a chopper to the hospital. Quite a ride.

Quite the bill, I imagine as well. My brother had to get a life flight when he got in a car accident in the middle of nowhere, and even with good insurance his Co workers had to take up a collection to help him pay for the helicopter ambulance bill :usa:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My dad got to take a LifeFlight helicopter from Caribou to Maine Medical Center in Bangor when he had a stroke, which made a 3-hour trip take less than an hour.

Funny thing is he had the stroke while at Cary Medical Center, so it was practically a Simpsons joke happening IRL:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Quite the bill, I imagine as well. My brother had to get a life flight when he got in a car accident in the middle of nowhere, and even with good insurance his Co workers had to take up a collection to help him pay for the helicopter ambulance bill :usa:

Oh no doubt, but considering that he had an arm almost severed at the elbow, hanging on by a few shreds of tendon (not to mention a gnarly eye injury and more), that the hospital was able to save, I think they feel it was worth every penny.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Given that Alaska doesn't actually have a level 1 trauma center (two level 2s, both in Anchorage) I have to imagine that that is a not infrequent occurrence.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, I was wondering about that, partly because Anchorage is closer to Juneau.

Also, my sister works at a hospital in Anchorage.

So I guess now the question is, what kind of trauma centers does India have?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is less an Irrationally Irritating Movie Moment, and more an Irrationally Petty TV Question. But I'm not sure where else to put it. So sorry for the trouble.

So we know that B1 and B2 from The Bananas in Pyjamas are brothers. Are they twins?

Also, I always assumed that the teddies were also siblings, but then why does Lulu have a French accent and the other two don't? (A related question, did the bananas ever get broadcast in France, and if so, what did they do with the fact that one of the teddies was French? Where was she from in the foreign broadcasts?)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BrigadierSensible posted:

So we know that B1 and B2 from The Bananas in Pyjamas are brothers. Are they twins?

Given that Bananas are now unable to sexually reproduce and are grown from cultivars, B1 and B2 are Identical Twins.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Great now I'm going to be over thinking Bananas in Pajamas when I watch it with my kid.

Although, I still need to wonder how safe any of them are being stupid enough to spend a day thinking the bears are sick when it's just paint spots. Other than the just noticing paint getting on them they still didn't notice that they didn't feel sick? And did they paint it back to blue at the end of that episode? If so, were they just recreationally painting a fence twice in a day?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can you not have a French teddy bear in France?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Breetai posted:

Given that Bananas are now unable to sexually reproduce and are grown from cultivars, B1 and B2 are Identical Twins.

Seems like a really healthy place for the species to be

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

christmas boots posted:

Seems like a really healthy place for the species to be

The species getting eaten for living and doesn't even get paid for it.

Should of joined a union.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

dr_rat posted:

The species getting eaten for living and doesn't even get paid for it.

Should of joined a union.

Or formed a Republic.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know the shows are drama but so many times a simple bullet to the head, in shows where most characters have few issues killing people anyway, would solve SO many problems.

My mom is finishing Yellowstone, why do you ask?

But same thing in early Walking Dead. Oh no, this old man who is keeping zombies in his barn and keeps giving you trouble, man, he talks a lot of poo poo for someone without handy weapons, doesn't he. In Yellowstone, oh no, your sister keeps threatening you and beats you and has tried many times to get rid of you, and now threatens to kill your toddler son? Well better let her keep doing that instead of, you know, being proactive. In breaking bad, Skyler had it right: at this point, what is one more body to the pile?

When you spend more time watching a show wondering why people are acting so loving dumb instead of the plot, it feels like you're CinemaSins.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's an unfortunate thing where you have to let the main characters get a win so there are stakes, but if they actually won the story would be over.

You've disarmed and knocked down the serial killer! Better just run away instead of kicking them while they're down or permanently disarming them, because otherwise the movie's over half an hour in.

Anyway, just watched Indy 5. I was expecting about another 20-30 minutes of movie when it ended. And it's two and a half hours long!

Also imo they hosed up by picking an artifact that literally is in a museum, right now. The Antikythera Mechanism is currently held in the National Archeological Museum in Athens, it was never broken in half, it's an analog computer for determining astrological positions that was zeroed in well after the death of Archimedes at the earliest, aaaaa why

Still good fun, and they did a much better job on the de-aging than I've seen in anything else.

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 2, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The movie Hush does a good job, from what I remember, of having both the protagonist and antagonist win their respective fights and yet having the other side getting away, without them being dumb. Each get wounded, struggling more and more to fight as the movie progresses, never really giving quarter to the other, because if at any point they're incapacitated, they know they're going to die.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Showtime is showing all the Indiana Jones movies and my IIMM in Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom is that Jones & his crew don't get off at Chunking when they escape Shanghai. Or if not that, why don't the pilots jump out of the plane before they reach Chunking?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I get people who say "just shoot/stab/kill the bastard!" but killing a person is loving hard and most people don't have the stones for it, let alone enjoy it or do it easily. The ones that get me more are when they drop the weapon they have

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

I get people who say "just shoot/stab/kill the bastard!" but killing a person is loving hard and most people don't have the stones for it, let alone enjoy it or do it easily. The ones that get me more are when they drop the weapon they have
Part of the complaint is that this will happen when the person has already killed dozens of people over the course of the series/film but this specific guy who's obviously going to get a whole bunch of people killed is A Step Too Far for some reason.

e: Or when they hit the guy very hard once and then immediately stop and run away. Even if it's not a deliberate "better finish this guy off!" if you've already psyched yourself up enough to brain a guy with a rock you're probably going to swing a few more times from sheer adrenaline.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Jul 2, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Or the ones where a big strong guy has caught a little scrappy guy and just decides to fling them across the room rather than laying into them when they're in their grasp.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Morpheus posted:

Or the ones where a big strong guy has caught a little scrappy guy and just decides to fling them across the room rather than laying into them when they're in their grasp.

i suppose in real life that'd really gently caress up the person thrown. however decades of sidescrolling beat'em ups have taught me that they do minimal damage and throws just temporarily disable a foe so i can lay into another

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Sally posted:

i suppose in real life that'd really gently caress up the person thrown.
yeah that's a thing which absolutely would end a fight, if videos of bouncers losing their cool have taught me anything

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Morpheus posted:

Okay but the bit in Re-Animator where they re-animate Arnold's stunt double and he throws tiny Herbert across the room like a lawn dart is incredible

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Every single frame of Re-Animator is cinematic good, it doesn’t count.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can understand in some slashers running away from the body because who knows what it's going to do. It is stupid when the person has every single motive and seems to want to shoot the downed bad guy, but decides not to because of some vague certainty it's dead.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's why I like when characters are aware of the threat and act accordingly. In Pacific Rim Raleigh lost his brother because they got complacent. So when leatherback is defeated Raleigh says, "It's probably dead, but just in case, let's check for a pulse" and they magdump their plasma cannon into the corpse to the point that I think the weapon burned out (since it isn't used against Otachi). It's a hilarious amount of overkill but who can blame them? Every Kaiju has some new surprise or gimmick up it's sleeve. There's "dead" then there's, "ain't coming back in Rush Hour 3" dead.

Plus it's no guarantee to work so you can still have more movie/plot/etc. Like in Jeepers Creepers 2 they realize they can't let the creature get away and keep terrorizing the locals. So they try to actually kill it and they're stabbing the thing in the face with some kind of spear like fifty goddamn times to little effect, only got) for the creature to decide to go night night for another thirty years or whatever. I love the idea you're just going to have this crazed survivor resigned to waiting around thirty years later to blast him when he starts to wake up again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really bizarre thing about the new Indiana Jones movie is how there's this reveal like 3/4 of the way through the movie that Mads Mikklesen's character had been hiding his true identity all along where his name wasn't Schmidt, it was Voller! This information means absolutely nothing to any character or the audience.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

After watching the new Indiana Jones I think we can all agree that the famed Disney magic is dead and gone

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Too woke? Or not woke enough? I can never tell these days.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
The first Jeepers had that part where they hit the Creeper (is that what he's called?) with their car and the girl has the good idea to keep backing up and running over him. Then they see him start to regenerate/transform and leave, allowing him to come after them at his leisure. Y'all... keep running him over. Make sure you crush his head. Park the car on top of him and set him on fire. You're not gonna get him so helpless again, try everything to finish him off while you have the chance.

muscles like this! posted:

A really bizarre thing about the new Indiana Jones movie is how there's this reveal like 3/4 of the way through the movie that Mads Mikklesen's character had been hiding his true identity all along where his name wasn't Schmidt, it was Voller! This information means absolutely nothing to any character or the audience.

Voller!! OMG, Voller!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

It always feel really weird when a movie does this. You can tell that it's trying to make the reveal of some inconsequential bit of information be a major plot twist and your left wondering, um was a scene cut out? were their script revisions and this used to actually matter? is it me, am I missing something here?

Although in trashy blockbuster films it's easy enough not to worry about, as what characters care about tends to changes scene to scene anyway so it becomes somewhat pointless to keep track.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Panfilo posted:

Yes and yes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It was implied he had memory loss/brain damage from the opening scene, maybe he actually thought he had been doing a good job blending in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It always bugged me that the endoskeleton in terminator just flung people around. Especially in salvation. You literally are hands on with the dude you have your specific purpose in life mission to kill, and instead you decide to throw him over a table.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skynet was trained on action movies, the whole Terminator thing actually only "works" because they actually have a metal endoskeleton and the hydraulics to back it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

Skynet was trained on action movies, the whole Terminator thing actually only "works" because they actually have a metal endoskeleton and the hydraulics to back it up.

There's a lot of little bits that imply the Terminators are actually pretty stupid by default- especially the implications that Skynet deliberately hobbles the intelligence of its robots for fear of being betrayed or usurped. The T-1000 was specifically a last resort because its capabilities scare Skynet. I suppose it's only fitting Skynet fears being usurped by its own creations. T2 even has the two Terminators freeze up a little when they encounter each other- both of them have probably never been programmed with any instructions for what to do in a situation where they have to fight another Terminator, and so have to figure it out from scratch.

The T-800 of T2 specifically becomes more effective and intelligent over the movie as it interacts and works with humans, developing from another blunt machine to someone who can analyse situations, work under rules of engagement and use psychological warfare, as well as wax philosophical with humans from its own unique point of view.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

Here's a helpful website to answer your questions!

https://worthitorwoke.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The T-800 of T2 specifically becomes more effective and intelligent over the movie as it interacts and works with humans, developing from another blunt machine to someone who can analyse situations, work under rules of engagement and use psychological warfare, as well as wax philosophical with humans from its own unique point of view.
Also it explicitly got the limiter removed. Skynet hosed up letting its terminators know enough to be able to tell someone else how to turn them off of read-only mode.

I think that was in the amazing mirror scene