Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
no loving way

https://t.co/FREY4nabpq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This was the topmost story when I checked the Australian national broadcaster's news site today:

(..)

I am impressed that they put it in the headline. Maybe Australian media is not so bad?

I'm sorry, I'm sorry :australia:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

no loving way
(..)

its covid

:smug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

God I loving rule, I'm so good at knowing poo poo. Fuckin' called this, where's my royalty check etc.

yeah I call bullshit my husband took it on day three and I took it on day five and we both rebounded.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Dirk Funk posted:

Goddamnit.

I maybe would have waited another day to start taking this round of Pax if I saw this sooner. I rebounded hard last time.

Started testing negative yesterday which is on day 3 of this round of Pax.

Let’s see if going the Fauci method of a 10 day course will be the way.

wait how does this make sense? stopping viral replication earlier in the process makes it more likely to rebound?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soylent Majority posted:

wait how does this make sense? stopping viral replication earlier in the process makes it more likely to rebound?

Paxlovid requires more time than five days to wipe out the virus regardless of when you start. I believe they tested five seven and ten days and decided the minor increase in effectiveness of the longer courses didn’t outweigh the need to get a non-hospital related treatment to as many people as possible and hey if we make it five days that means we can treat twice as many people with the same amount of drugs we currently have.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
we don't have enough doses! i know, let's give everyone who isn't a vip half doses. bing bong double the number of courses so simple

who cares if it lowers the efficacy, we have the tools :toot:

see also monkey pox vax

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

I brought this up to my doctor earlier this year, and of course her response was "it was lockdowns/immunity debt". She didn't have an answer to my follow up question: "If that's the case, why didn't international travellers constantly get sick everytime they travelled before covid?".

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Kragger99 posted:

I brought this up to my doctor earlier this year, and of course her response was "it was lockdowns/immunity debt". She didn't have an answer to my follow up question: "If that's the case, why didn't international travellers constantly get sick everytime they travelled before covid?".

ah yes, the immunity debt of less than one year old babies 2 years after any sort of restrictions were in place

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

Soylent Majority posted:

My uneducated guess is that maybe due to waiting a little bit longer your immune system is more on the attack to help get rid of the lingering Covid after the inadequate 5 day course of Paxlovid that capitalism decided is good enough for the rest of us is done.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Life expectancy: how low can it go?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

They're forgetting that 0-1 year olds had a 9 month lockdown.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
My city has been bubbling around Delta peak levels all year since Omicron. We're about to have our huge 10 day international event here starting next weekend (Calgary Stampede), and it sounds like they've already sold more tickets than in 2019.

Lets see how how much of a spike we see by ~end of July. Yee Haw?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

ah yes, the immunity debt of less than one year old babies 2 years after any sort of restrictions were in place
Its epigenetic immunity debt

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

*knowingly shakes head at fellow wasteland mutant*

"Never should've closed the schools..."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zugzwang posted:

Lamarckian lockdowns

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

text editor posted:

My dad made a grab at mine the other day when I visited and then when I was clearly irritated tried to play it off with "I haven't seen your smile in so long, how do I know you still have your teeth?"

gently caress off, you never saw a smile before I masked either

[COVID] gently caress off, you never saw a smile before I masked either

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trixie Hardcore posted:

make the change. that one is glorious

I've been thinking about how even with im not masking, im still masking.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Jul 2, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

*knowingly shakes head at fellow wasteland mutant*

"Never should've closed the schools..."
I wonder how the "schools closed = immunity debt" people square their hypothesis with schools being closed for 2-3 months every year during summer vacation.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

I wonder how the "schools closed = immunity debt" people square their hypothesis with schools being closed for 2-3 months every year during summer vacation.

They remember very clearly that whenever schools were closed they were outside frolicking with their friends in parks and malls and arcades and nearby woodlands having a jolly old good time. Of course, in the next breath they'll complain about how kids are always playing around on their blinking square things and never connect these two pieces of information. Or that free third spaces have been thoroughly destroyed, or that free roaming isn't allowed for kids anymore, or that parents all have jobs that take 40+ hours a week and no time for supervising little Timmy five or more days out of seven.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Immunity debtors prison

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
god damned communists

(shakes fist)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Fansy posted:

They're forgetting that 0-1 year olds had a 9 month lockdown.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Derek Lowe semi-recently wrote an interesting article on the previously discussed COVID-OUT study, one of the recent studies that showed metformin reduced the rate of "post-COVID conditions". Lowe's summary itself isn't so interesting, but rather that they had previously been skeptical about the reality of long COVID but the study's interpretation and results are so clear cut they apparently changed their mind. A few key points from Lowe's post:

quote:

IN THE PIPELINECOVID-19
Long Covid Shows A Card?
9 JUN 2023 BY DEREK LOWE4 MIN READ COMMENTS
So this new report definitely gives us all something to think about! It's just come out from under embargo, and it details a what seems to be a well-controlled trial (fully blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled) in 1162 patients (30-85 years old, median age 45, 56% female). These patients were all overweight and all had confirmed coronavirus infections, which were treated with standard-of-care. In addition, patient groups were also treated with either fluvoxamine, metformin, or our old friend ivermectin: there was a metformin plus ivermectin group, a metformin plus fluvoxamine group, a metformin plus placebo group, an ivermectin plus placebo group, a fluvoxamine plus placebo group, and finally a control group that got (you guessed it) placebo plus placebo. These multifactorial designs are not fun to set up and run across widely separated medical centers, but they can tell you a lot if you can get them to land. And it looks like this one did.
That leaves metformin, and in that case the metformin placebo group had a 10.3% cumulative incidence rate of long Covid diagnosis, while the actual treatment group showed only 6.3% incidence. Metformin's effects held up in subgroup analyses, and what's more, this result is consistent with an earlier report (the TOGETHER trial) of metformin treatment lowering long Covid incidence. These two together raise the take-it-seriously level considerably.
An overarching point, though, is made in a valuable commentary in the same issue of the Lancet by Jeremy Samuel Faust: this effect against a placebo control really shows us that there is something there. Long Covid is looking less like a cloudy mass of speculation and shoulder-shrugging, and more like a problem that medical science can start to unravel, using the tools we already have:.
The quoted part of the commentary:

quote:

When a disease is too poorly defined, it follows that it is almost impossible to modify either the incidence of that disease or the distribution of its outcomes—that is, unless the treatment effect is so great, and the true target population so common in the assembled denominator, that any corresponding signal dilutions are offset. The present study suggests that, even with definitions as amorphous and heterogenous as those currently in use for diagnosing long COVID, there was to be found within this study population an ample cohort of individuals with syndromes similar enough that disease incidence could be modified, and metformin appeared to achieve that. Furthermore, the finding that long COVID is modifiable, although here showing prevention, offers hope. . .
The metformin trial is significant because it's an extremely well-run placebo controlled demonstration that some combination of post-infection impacts (ie long COVID) happens in at least ~4% of the study demographic. Anyone that reads the study and still considers long COVID an entirely mental illness can't be convinced with any amount of evidence. Al-Aly's study of Paxlovid reducing long COVID incidence by ~2% arguably showed the same thing, but additionally the metformin trial was placebo controlled.

For reference the study demographic was largely middle-aged and overweight, so extremely relevant to readers of this website. It's a shame they put so many participants into the useless ivermectin and fluvoxamine treatment groups as they could have obtained a more significant measurement if it was just metformin vs placebo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

it only affects the old and unhealthy

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Baddog posted:

This guy's theory doesn't really feel right to me at all.

Have to be at peak viral load to generate a durable immune response? Nah we get an immune response to tiny amounts of the virus, and if you are having symptoms, or a red line on a rat, you already have a ton of it.

I would not delay taking pax by a day or two just because of this guy.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding Al-Aly, their university magazine recently did a nice profile of him and his research. However they decided to make him look like a comic-book super villain in the picture:

At least they made sure to include a picture showing they're still doing group meetings masked:

The profile ended with this quote:

quote:

His reasoning harkens back to the months he spent as a teenager trying to create an analog clock on his computer: “Thinking deeply, my Commodore 64 represents my lifelong passion for solving scientific problems.”
How are they not posting on this site already?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wow extremely novel and surprising finds that will have no effect on the world at all 🥺

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wait are we sure it wasn't dogs

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Disrupted seasonality and association of COVID-19 with medically attended respiratory syncytial virus infections among young children in the US: January 2010 [ed: a typo, it's 2020] – January 2023 (preprint)

summary, if i'm reading this right: HR ~1.4 for RSV infections requiring medical assistance in previously-COVID-positive children (testing positive >2 months before) compared to non-COVID-positive children, 2022 peak rate was 2.4x expected. Authors don't think this is explainable through immune debt (although an increase in RSV cases overall might be, particularly in 2021); they consider it support for their hypothesis of respiratory and immune damage from COVID infection.

there's probably some other useful stuff in there too, this is just a cursory skim

quote:

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections and hospitalizations surged sharply in 2022 among young children. To assess whether COVID-19 contributed to this surge, we leveraged a real-time nation-wide US database of electronic health records (EHRs) using time series analysis from January 1, 2010 through January 31, 2023, and propensity-score matched cohort comparisons for children aged 0–5 years with or without prior COVID-19 infection. Seasonal patterns of medically attended RSV infections were significantly disrupted during the COVID-19 pandemic. The monthly incidence rate for first-time medically attended cases, most of which were severe RSV-associated diseases, reached a historical high rate of 2,182 cases per 1,0000,000 person-days in November 2022, corresponding to a related increase of 143% compared to expected peak rate (rate ratio: 2.43, 95% CI: 2.25–2.63). Among 228,940 children aged 0–5 years, the risk for first-time medically attended RSV during 10/2022–12/2022 was 6.40% for children with prior COVID-19 infection, higher than 4.30% for the matched children without COVID-19 (risk ratio or RR: 1.40, 95% CI: 1.27–1.55); and among 99,105 children aged 0–1 year, the overall risk was 7.90% for those with prior COVID-19 infection, higher than 5.64% for matched children without (RR: 1.40, 95% CI: 1.21–1.62). These data provide evidence that COVID-19 contributed to the 2022 surge of severe pediatric RSV cases.

quote:

In 2020, the incidence rate of RSV infection was low throughout the year, which is likely due to nonpharmaceutical interventions such as lockdown, masking and social distancing that prevented
RSV from spreading. ... However, the RSV season in 2021 extended to 9 months, resulting in more RSV-infected children in 2021 than in pre-pandemic. Positive lab test-confirmed RSV infection reached pre-pandemic levels for children aged 0–1 year and was higher for children aged 0–5 years. Although there was a buildup of susceptible children in 2021, certain COVID-19 preventative measures remained in place in 2021 that limited the spread of RSV infections. In April 2022, the CDC lifted the mask mandate but still recommended that people wear masks at public transportation settings. Interestingly, very young children aged 0-1 year (as of 2021), many of whom were born after 2020, also showed increased RSV infection in 2021. Waning maternal immunity due to low RSV exposure during the COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent decrease in transplacental RSV antibody transfer may have contributed to increased RSV infections in 2021 compared to 2020. Our cohort studies comparing the matched COVID-19 (+) and COVID-19 (–) cohorts for children aged 0–5 years and children aged 0–1 year showed that prior COVID-19 infection was associated with an increased risk for RSV infection including both clinically diagnosed RSV diseases and positive lab test-confirmed RSV infection in 2021. However, RSV infections in 2021 did not reach the levels in 2022, largely because of the preventive measures and fewer COVID-19-infected children.

In 2022, medically attended RSV infection including both clinically diagnosed severe RSV diseases and positive lab test-confirmed infections reached a historically high rate, higher for severe RSV diseases than the positive lab test-confirmed RSV infection. Among children aged 0–1, the peak incidence rate of severe RSV-associated diseases in November 2022 was 2,285 cases per 1,000,000 person-days, 47% higher than lab test-confirmed RSV. These data suggest that the 2022 RSV surge was disproportionately driven by more severe cases of RSV diseases, which could not be fully explained by increased testing practices, awareness, or transmission through day-care or siblings alone. While nonpharmaceutical interventions in 2021 and immunity debt contributed to the increased rate of RSV infection, these factors alone could not fully explain the huge surge in November 2022, representing 4–5 times as many severe RSV- associated diseases as in 2021. For children aged 0–1 year (as of 2022), if the immune debt due to waning maternal immunity was the main contributor, we would expect that the level of RSV infection in 2022 to similar to that in 2021. Instead, the peak incidence rate of severe RSV diseases in children aged 0-1 year was 2,285 cases per 1,000,000 person-days in November 2022, a 161% increase compared to the peak rate of 874 cases per 1,000,000 person-days in August 2021. The comparisons between matched COVID-19 (+) and COVID-19 (–) cohorts showed that prior COVID-19 infection was associated with increased risk for RSV infection in 2022. In 2022, significantly more children contracted COVID-1918 due to the relaxation of preventive measures and the dominance of the highly transmissible Omicron variant. Together with the effects of RSV-specific immunity debt and other factors, the large buildup of COVID-19-infected children and the potential long-term adverse effects of COVID-19 on the immune and respiratory systems may have contributed to the 2022 winter surge of severe RSV diseases.

quote:

The findings comparing the propensity matched cohorts showed that prior COVID-19 infection was associated with a significant increased risk for RSV infection during both 2022 and 2021 RSV peak seasons. This finding is consistent with our hypothesis that COVID-19 is an important contributing factor for the 2022 surge of severe pediatric RSV diseases, likely through its lasting damage to the immune and respiratory systems of young children. Although the strength of the associations in 2022 are similar to that in 2021, we observed historically high monthly incidence rates of severe RSV cases only in 2022, but not in 2021. However, the RSV season in 2021 was extended to 9 months. Nearly as many children were infected with RSV in 2021 as in 2022 (25,638 and 29,388 incidence cases in May–December 2021 and 2022, respectively).

quote:

In addition, although we have controlled for COVID-19 vaccination between cohorts, we were unable to assess how vaccination further modified the associations of COVID-19 with RSV due to small sample sizes as only 4.9% of our 2022 study population were vaccinated.
sure would have been convenient if kids had been vaccinated, huh?

CGI Stardust has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Jul 2, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
loving allergies. :argh:

I hope. :ohdear:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

CGI Stardust posted:

quote:

only 4.9% of our 2022 study population were vaccinated

jfc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

three years ago today

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it’s real cool having a kid and going to kid events thinking the majority of all of these kids don’t even have one shot…

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Looks like my benzene and formaldehyde debt is low in wildfire season.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9801910/wildfire-smoke-burnt-plastic-smell/

If you think you’ve smelt burnt plastic coming from lingering wildfire smoke, you may not be alone. There actually is a scientific reason for such a smell.

According to Dr. Michael Fitzpatrick, a professor of medicine at Queen’s University specializing in respirology, smoke exposed to sunlight and its UV rays can create a chemical reaction that results in the creation of benzene and formaldehyde, which smell like burning plastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/nickelpin/status/1675390861725822976?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Looks like two small waves out of Denver and Baltimore

For Data

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
“Attention Anime Expo attendees, for the next fifteen minutes we’ve designated the HotTopic My Melody booth a #covid safety zone.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

“Attention Anime Expo attendees, for the next fifteen minutes we’ve designated the HotTopic My Melody booth a #covid safety zone.”

14 minutes 59 seconds.