Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

That's frontier medicine for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bashir was not the greatest doctor.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Railing Kill posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a time clone of yourself, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the time clone over on its back. The time clone lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Starfleet Academy found it cheaper and easier to exploit a local temporal anomaly to create a real time clone for you to murder instead of some complex holo-emitter thingy.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just got to the Worf episode where Bashir treats depression with ego death. What the actual gently caress.

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I watched the episode a few days ago - just a terrible, terrible way to end the episode.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

DesperateDan posted:

you need more after that then ask because by then I will probably be slogging through enterprise and ready to claw my own eyes out

If you can make it through Voyager, you can easily survive Enterprise.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That's frontier medicine for ya

Clearly Alexander should have instead gone to a frontier psychiatrist.

That boy needs therapy.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 2, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
amazing that he blanked kurn's memory but not alexander's

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dr_rat posted:

Bashir was not the greatest doctor.

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele for a minute?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele for a minute?

That’s just his Augment side kicking in

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MrMojok posted:

Just watched Relics

It is a total LOL that at the end they give Scotty a shuttle and just let him gently caress off in this tiny craft to go… somewhere.

What a sad-rear end episode.

They actually just locked him in the holodeck next to Moriarty.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm just wondering, I always had this idea in my head that when Worf was a child he accidentally killed another child while they were playing sports, is that just something I made up? Maybe I got it mixed up with that Voyager episode where the Doctor had a holo family and the daughter died doing a Klingon thing?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Boxturret posted:

I'm just wondering, I always had this idea in my head that when Worf was a child he accidentally killed another child while they were playing sports, is that just something I made up? Maybe I got it mixed up with that Voyager episode where the Doctor had a holo family and the daughter died doing a Klingon thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hl-LVamqKM

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ah, great, thanks! Must have been one of the few DS9 episodes I managed to catch back then. I remembered it quite vividly and kept waiting for it to come up in TNG, and when it didn't I looked up the Memory Alpha page and did a quick search and when I couldn't find anything I started to doubt myself.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tbf it's one of the worst ds9 episodes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that little bit is the one good thing about that episode because it explains so much about Worf.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I suspect his sort of medicine is more to approach it as engineering more than caring for a living thing.

A person is basically plumbing and electrical.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele Phlox for a minute?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was looking around on Amazon prime and noticed this thing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09SKRBCFH/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek

For you hardcore Trek-Heads in this thread, it’s probably not going to tell you anything you don’t already know, but it’s a fun look at the history of the franchise.

There are eleven episodes, and even one that’s specifically about The Animated Series.

e: to add, the episode about TAS did tell me quite a bit of stuff I’d never heard before. Well worth a watch.

e2: Gene, by the time of The Motion Picture, was stoned, coked-out, and drinking all the time, and in this state, was constantly rewriting the script as they were filming?!

OK, I didn’t know this either. The filming of TMP was an absolute disaster.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 3, 2023

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm now up to "Profit and Lace" on my first-time DS9 run-through. Should I watch the episode, or skip it?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DaveWoo posted:

So I'm now up to "Profit and Lace" on my first-time DS9 run-through. Should I watch the episode, or skip it?

How much do you like the Ferengi social revolution/Quark's mother plot arc? If you are enjoying it (and there are parts of it that are really well done and fun to watch) then go for it. If you don't care that much about that, skip it and maybe read a synopsis.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's probably the worst out of the ferengi episodes, and it definitely has some issues that make it seem crude today, but i don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. i'd probably give it an overall C

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The hell with it, I'm going to watch the episode

Edit: And the very first scene features Quark being super creepy with one of his female employees. That's a great sign.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 3, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DaveWoo posted:

The hell with it, I'm going to watch the episode

Edit: And the very first scene features Quark being super creepy with one of his female employees. That's a great sign.

"mandatory sexual favors in an employment contract" isn't just super creepy, it's incredibly hosed up. of course the goal is to show that quark learns something from his experience but that really doesn't make it okay

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
20 minutes in, and the story's been mostly boring so far, nothing outright terrible yet

Edit: Ooookay here we go

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 3, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ferengi DS9 stuff is IMO the worst of all Trek.

I’m sure that is an unpopular view, but there it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THe thing that surprised me about Profit and Lace is that in retrospect it's not nearly as bad as I'd expected from it's reputation - Brunt is the only one outside the family who knows what Quark is doing, and as far as the soft-drink manufacturer is concerned the woman he's fallen in love with is a trans woman who Brunt is deadnaming like an rear end in a top hat, even after finding out about the surgeries he doesn't care who she used to be, only that in that moment she is the woman that he fell in love with. The Sluggo Cola dude is a hell of an ally. Also thought the Ferengi episode in the mirror universe was funny, the last one in the show. Just for them trolling mirror garak.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, now I see why the episode has the reputation it does; the second half of that episode was just plain awful. What the hell were the writers thinking with that one.

MrMojok posted:

I feel like there were some decent episodes early on, but by this point they really seem to be hitting some serious diminishing returns.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MrMojok posted:

Except for The Magnificent Ferengi. That's one of the best.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

BioEnchanted posted:

THe thing that surprised me about Profit and Lace is that in retrospect it's not nearly as bad as I'd expected from it's reputation - Brunt is the only one outside the family who knows what Quark is doing, and as far as the soft-drink manufacturer is concerned the woman he's fallen in love with is a trans woman who Brunt is deadnaming like an rear end in a top hat, even after finding out about the surgeries he doesn't care who she used to be, only that in that moment she is the woman that he fell in love with. The Sluggo Cola dude is a hell of an ally. Also thought the Ferengi episode in the mirror universe was funny, the last one in the show. Just for them trolling mirror garak.

I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't feel like the angle the writers are going for. That we're meant to laugh at him basically. As a trans woman it's just an outright miserable episode and I rank it as the worst of the entire series, and that now include Picard. Okay maybe it isn't the worst episode anymore, but it's down there. the Ferengi mirror universe episode might be the only DS9 mirror episode that's okay, but the mirror universe episodes are also terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The most notable thing about Profit and Lace is that the Sluggo Cola logo is very clearly the inspiration for Slurm and the Slurm queen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMojok posted:

You’re the worst of all Trek :colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Worf: "I raised Alexander."

Did you, Worf? Did you really?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always preferred Alexander's destiny in TNG, to become a Klingon Politician and work his entire life to unite the warring houses. That was a badass ending to his story.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I really appreciated in TNG how they stuck to Alexander staying on board, sure he didn't show up all that often, but it was neat that they did that, instead of just sending him off somewhere again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Ferengi are really fun on DS9 and largely redeem the Ferengi existing as part of a franchise after being gross totally dehumanized goblins in TNG, but they still kinda lack a lot of nuance as a society, still usually prioritizing lampooning real-world terrestrial society and all its perceived ills over developing them as a race with their own culture. Which is probably also why they felt the freedom to just kinda end it all by writing out of nowhere Rom becomes the Grand Nagus to "fix" all of Ferengi society, which doesn't really seem like a satisfying conclusion for Rom or the Ferengi, although it was very funny for Quark to be spurned one last time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’re the worst of all Trek :colbert:

Dang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrMojok posted:

The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy exist even within the thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Ferengi are really fun on DS9 and largely redeem the Ferengi existing as part of a franchise after being gross totally dehumanized goblins in TNG, but they still kinda lack a lot of nuance as a society, still usually prioritizing lampooning real-world terrestrial society and all its perceived ills over developing them as a race with their own culture. Which is probably also why they felt the freedom to just kinda end it all by writing out of nowhere Rom becomes the Grand Nagus to "fix" all of Ferengi society, which doesn't really seem like a satisfying conclusion for Rom or the Ferengi, although it was very funny for Quark to be spurned one last time.

The show implies that these changes are already happening on their own because despite Quark's protestations there are more Roms and Zeks on Ferenginar than there are Quarks and Brunts. Remember the last few laws get passed by a new system of popular vote among a council, so the new rules about taxing and environmental conservation were decided by committee and thought to be good ideas. Even how the major Ferengi treat Quark's mother is important - Rom helps her hide her tracks and only have to turn over some of her profits, Zek gives her a position of real power and listens to her council not only on financial matters but others too and the Sluggo Cola guy is completely willing to meet this female financial genius before the antics get in the way. Quark and Brunt are in the minority, and due to the youth falling out with the old ways as seen with Nog, are only going to get listened to less and less. The Ferengi changes are inevitable because most of the Ferengi that we see WANT them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just got to the Worf episode where Bashir treats depression with ego death. What the actual gently caress.

I mean, ketamine is a dissociative being used to treat depression, it's not that weird

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdsjxopGVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kesper North posted:

I mean, ketamine is a dissociative being used to treat depression, it's not that weird

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdsjxopGVQ

and the origin (cw: redface): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPXkrR_CmE

on a related note, "Sacred Ground" was a much better episode than I thought it would be. Funny having Chakotay go "isn't this going on for too long?"