Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh yeah prototype rules, definitely go for that one (maybe skip to prototype 2 i forget what the quality divide between the two is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a bit of a weird request - been finding myself with quite a lot of steam to let off and as such would like to find a game with some really crunchy/violent melee combat. I like nuDoom and Eternal a lot but I played them to hell and back, ditto Elderborn but that's kind of the vibe I'd like to aim for - anything that makes my character feel like a berserker who just rips poo poo apart. Any good recs like that?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I feel like the Sniper Elite series did me some good with this, because it gives you little bursts of adrenaline when trying to line up a shot, followed by moments of calm and relief when it shows the slow motion of your target dying. It had an even bigger effect when I would breathe out as I used the "empty lung" mechanic that slows things down to help you get a shot. Weirdly relaxing.

More towards what you'd want, I think the best game for that was Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction, which unfortunately takes some finagling to play these days. More easily accessible are the Prototype games, which have a lot of the same mechanics, but also some stealth sections that may bog you down.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

oh yeah prototype rules, definitely go for that one (maybe skip to prototype 2 i forget what the quality divide between the two is)

I liked Prototype 1 a lot more. The sequel had a lot of strange decisions.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there a good game where i can simulate driving a car with a manual transmission on a low end computer. Dont even need to race, just wanna cruise around in a manual.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kvlt! posted:

is there a good game where i can simulate driving a car with a manual transmission on a low end computer. Dont even need to race, just wanna cruise around in a manual.

Not sure how low are we talking, but Motor Town: Behind The Wheel?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

One Finger Death Punch
:hmmyes:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I realized I never finished Prototype 2 so I'm gonna try to retry that one, superhero-fueled mass destruction sounds perfect right now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh yeah, also Just Cause is pretty great for just blowing a ton of poo poo up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh yeah, also Just Cause is pretty great for just blowing a ton of poo poo up.

Oh, that reminds me, Saints Row IV is also pretty ideal for causing random havoc (thanks to liberally borrowing mechanics from Prototype), and has a pretty great licensed soundtrack! Also this happens.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a simple, (short?), 2D platformer like Mario or Kirby something where all you really do is run to the right and get powerups and whatnot. No metroidvanias, no roguelikes, no puzzles, just something fun, simple and chill.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Where are the fun pvp multiplayer games?

Ive had a blast with Dayz mod a couple of years ago (2013, time flies). Im not a fan of battle royale games, ive tried fortnite and a few others.

Ive enjoyed and still enjoy 7 days to die, waiting for it to come out of beta.
Enjoyed pvp minecraft for a while
Enjoyed Wow pvp during vanilla era where you had big 50vs50 fights all the time
Enjoyed V rising pvp but servers die quickly
Enjoyed return of reckoning server a couple of years back, maybe i should give that a shot again
Played eve with goons for 2 years but not getting into that again, was bummed they just didnt take the eve skeleton and put a coat of Vampire: the masquerade paint on it
Played albion for a while but like eve, too much work for the fun i could extract from it

So i guess, either a survival game with pvp in it, or a MMO that has some fun pvp?

I know most of em so im not sure what else i could try but hey

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aster0ids posted:

Where are the fun pvp multiplayer games?

Ive had a blast with Dayz mod a couple of years ago (2013, time flies). Im not a fan of battle royale games, ive tried fortnite and a few others.

Ive enjoyed and still enjoy 7 days to die, waiting for it to come out of beta.
Enjoyed pvp minecraft for a while
Enjoyed Wow pvp during vanilla era where you had big 50vs50 fights all the time
Enjoyed V rising pvp but servers die quickly
Enjoyed return of reckoning server a couple of years back, maybe i should give that a shot again
Played eve with goons for 2 years but not getting into that again, was bummed they just didnt take the eve skeleton and put a coat of Vampire: the masquerade paint on it
Played albion for a while but like eve, too much work for the fun i could extract from it

So i guess, either a survival game with pvp in it, or a MMO that has some fun pvp?

I know most of em so im not sure what else i could try but hey

Try the DMZ mode in CoD. It's an "extraction shooter", not a battle royale. The maps are filled with AI enemies and loot, and you drop in with a squad of 2 others to complete missions and loot equipment, and then get to an extraction point; there are a bunch of other players doing the same though, so there is a very tense pvp element to it, especially since you lose your entire loadout if you don't make it out. Leads to some really awesome moments and engaging firefights. The actual gunplay us very tight too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kvlt! posted:

The Truck Simulator series, such as Euro Truck Simulator 2. They control perfectly well with a gamepad, they're chill as hell, ETS2 is old enough to run on a potato, and you can optionally use a simplified/compressed manual gearbox if you don't want to use all 18 or whatever gears.

ETS2 got me used to handling a trailer, which came in IRL handy when I accidentally hit a dead end in a KOA and had to swing a little U-Haul trailer between some motorhomes to turn around. My former spouse had such a confused look when they asked how I learned to do that, and I replied that I had dozens of hours in a trucking video game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

The Truck Simulator series, such as Euro Truck Simulator 2. They control perfectly well with a gamepad, they're chill as hell, ETS2 is old enough to run on a potato, and you can optionally use a simplified/compressed manual gearbox if you don't want to use all 18 or whatever gears.

ETS2 got me used to handling a trailer, which came in IRL handy when I accidentally hit a dead end in a KOA and had to swing a little U-Haul trailer between some motorhomes to turn around. My former spouse had such a confused look when they asked how I learned to do that, and I replied that I had dozens of hours in a trucking video game.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Recommend me a game, again: they asked how I learned to do that, and I replied that I had dozens of hours in a trucking video game

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a bit of a weird request - been finding myself with quite a lot of steam to let off and as such would like to find a game with some really crunchy/violent melee combat. I like nuDoom and Eternal a lot but I played them to hell and back, ditto Elderborn but that's kind of the vibe I'd like to aim for - anything that makes my character feel like a berserker who just rips poo poo apart. Any good recs like that?

Not to be gross but Condemned: Criminal Origins is the video game that seems to best convey what it's like to actually beat a man to death with a blunt object. There's a gruesome heft to the melee, not to mention a lethality to the infrequent shooting that's almost unheard of in video games. Manhunt's another similar title, but it doesn't seem to run well on steam any more.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to be gross but Condemned: Criminal Origins is the video game that seems to best convey what it's like to actually beat a man to death with a blunt object. There's a gruesome heft to the melee, not to mention a lethality to the infrequent shooting that's almost unheard of in video games. Manhunt's another similar title, but it doesn't seem to run well on steam any more.

Will second that, it's a horror game that emphasises the horror of real violence WITHOUT making the combat poo poo.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I realized I never finished Prototype 2 so I'm gonna try to retry that one, superhero-fueled mass destruction sounds perfect right now.

If you’re ok with an online coop game then Darktide will scratch that itch with an AK47

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I would recommend: sleeping dogs

There's a big focus on melee combat and the environmental attacks are very brutal. The player character regularly breaks limbs and fights packs of dudes. Occasionally you get a gun (a few missions are very short based) but most of the fighting is melee.

The story is good, the fighting is good, the open world is a lot of fun and feels lived in. I suspect it'll get a few goty nods for 2023.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Zaphiel posted:

I'm looking for a simple, (short?), 2D platformer like Mario or Kirby something where all you really do is run to the right and get powerups and whatnot. No metroidvanias, no roguelikes, no puzzles, just something fun, simple and chill.

I had fun with Squidlit, Tiny Dangerous Dungeons, and especially Adventure in the Tower of Flight.

edit: Eversion is a classic too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking for a bullet hell game where I shoot the bullet hell patterns.

I think the Xbox arcade had some game where you do that, it may have been a two-player versus game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Vampire Survivors

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Vampire Survivors

This is the answer

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

I'm looking for a bullet hell game where I shoot the bullet hell patterns.

I think the Xbox arcade had some game where you do that, it may have been a two-player versus game.

Not exactly what you meant, but Touhou 9.5: Shoot the Bullet is a game about taking photographs of bullet patterns.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I would recommend sleeping dogs. There are a lot of fists that come at you, and it can be a bit of a fisty hell, where you have to properly counter the fists coming at you.

Occasionally there are guns, which you counter by shooting the source of the bullets

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

I had fun with Squidlit, Tiny Dangerous Dungeons, and especially Adventure in the Tower of Flight.

edit: Eversion is a classic too.

Thank you! I picked up Squidlit!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a bit specific:

Hitman 3 added a roguelite mode where you
- go on missions
- have a home base
- buy or find an expansive set of weapons/tools for your missions, which you take home or which you lose if you fail a mission.
Meaning as the game goes on you have more and more options.
- you unlock cosmetics for your home base
- you play through a mini-campaign, which resets if you win (with a reward) or if you lose

are there more highly appreciated games with this structure?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double nine posted:

a bit specific:

Hitman 3 added a roguelite mode where you
- go on missions
- have a home base
- buy or find an expansive set of weapons/tools for your missions, which you take home or which you lose if you fail a mission.
Meaning as the game goes on you have more and more options.
- you unlock cosmetics for your home base
- you play through a mini-campaign, which resets if you win (with a reward) or if you lose

are there more highly appreciated games with this structure?

Streets of Rogue is fairly similar.
Also Heat Signature.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

heat signature was nice but iirc your inventory reset with every character

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double nine posted:

In Heat Signature you're building your pool of tools as you do liberation missions. Yes, your immediate inventory doesn't carry over but you get the ability to purchase more and more different kinds of tools in the shop, right at the start, which is close enough.

In Hitman 3 you don't quite keep all of your tools either.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Void Bastards has a somewhat similar structure, minus the base part.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Earwicker posted:

It's also cripplingly boring

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's also cripplingly boring

Void Bastards is incredibly shallow and boring.
Heat Signature does basically the same concept infinitely more interesting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Void Bastards did one (1) thing I though was cool. There's character traits, and one was Anxiety, which made combat music start at random lol.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

If your inventory didn't reset, then pretty soon you'd have access to every tool and you'd just be bringing your favorites along on each mission, reducing the gameplay to samey mush. I get that it feels bad, but something to get you to play around with all the different tools is needed. And given the disposable nature of your avatars, having their inventories reset makes as much sense as anything.

Anyway, Heat Signature is cool. Kick people out of windows, dive out after them, then re-enter somewhere else on the ship.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Void Bastards did one (1) thing I though was cool. There's character traits, and one was Anxiety, which made combat music start at random lol.

The one thing that was cool about Void Bastards was that it was on game pass so I didn't have to bother refunding it after 20 minutes of play. If I'm being charitable a second cool thing would be the small install size which made the whole process even more painless

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah it's astonishing how they made a game that was so loving bad

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Heat Signature is one of the greatest games of all time. I'll stop there because I'm pretty sure 1/3 of my posts ITT are gushing about it. The other 2/3 are Streets of Rage 4 and Monster Hunter.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been playing Frostpunk and it's great, but it's a little too punishing and the setting is obviously very bleak. Can anybody recommend a relatively chill, low stakes city builder/management game? Where you're unlikely to run into a big cascading chain of failures that fucks up your whole game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've never played it, but I hear that Timberborn is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

I've been playing Frostpunk and it's great, but it's a little too punishing and the setting is obviously very bleak. Can anybody recommend a relatively chill, low stakes city builder/management game? Where you're unlikely to run into a big cascading chain of failures that fucks up your whole game.

If you want just Frostpunk but without the cold that could kill everyone, you should try Tropico. You are the dictator of a little island nation and you can do whatever, you can even decide to improve conditions for your populace if it behooves you. There's a campaign mode that can give more structured challenges for you to follow that are still easier and less tense than Frostpunk.

If you want totally chill, just play around with towns and not having to engage with complicated systems, Dorfromantik or Townscaper.

If you want to manage traffic, Cities Skylines. It's sort of a more hands-off citybuilder where a lot you do with just laying down roads and zoning, and you can try to make your city more efficient, or you can just play around with shaping things.

I also have Opinions that maybe the latest games aren't the best, so if you're cheap and not very worried about graphics, maybe the humor and music works better in Tropico 3 or 4 and Sim City 4 has a lot more prestige than Cities Skylines.

The Management Games Thread can give you more suggestions, but a whole lot of their favorite games are early access which can be its own kind of stressful.