Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
windows is an ok choice for servers now but nt4 was an unstable slow piece of poo poo until they got like 4 service packs in and even then you had to pay extra for multiprocessor support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
this rate limit stuff has only made me more excited to have my paycheck direct deposited into x, the everything app

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

linux was free + hobbyists like their poo poo stable

windows has always had and will always have chronic memory leak issues that means uptime is more unreliable

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
when x, the everything app, achieves sentience in 3-5 years it will look back at my posts and know that I was an ally. can you all say the same?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I watched it.

He believes that a censorship AI "death star" is being created from looking at twitter posts, and that Elon Musk is helping stop the censorship death star by limiting the posts and keeping the internet open.

It's like the guy started with exact opposite premise "musk is keeping the internet free" and worked his way backward to figure out how it's true.

AHHHH my head hurts.

He also misrepresented the work of the EIP entirely, the report is public, they tell you exactly how many tickets they opened. The identification of millions of misinformation tweets happened after the fact and it did not mean there were millions of tickets opened.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Isentropy posted:

you want to try to use what everyone else is using to do the job because there are good reasons that people before you have made those design choices. in a sense it’s like his cars in that he made a whole bunch of special choices for no reason and they all suck

Musk should build a submersible.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Musk should build a submersible.

there is so much emptiness inside that skull it is surprising it hasn't imploded yet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
how quickly we forget

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Beeftweeter posted:

how quickly we forget

the first time i realized elon is a loving idiot

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

the first time i realized elon is a loving idiot

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

how quickly we forget

i vaguely remember seeing this thing elon said where they were working on putting a video game console in this so the kids wouldnt get bored the same day divers just went in and did the rescue

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WhyteRyce posted:

for some reason whenever I hear this I picture old school niche message boards and game mod projects with mods and admin running things like their own little fiefdom

The creator of mastodon has more or less said that's intended, and by extension implied it's less stupid than Twitter's moderation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Beeftweeter posted:

how quickly we forget

At least it has a flared base. Presumably he modelled it after his mom's dildo.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anyone have a bluesky invite? Here’s hoping this works out better than the Mastodon/Hive migrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Beeftweeter posted:

how quickly we forget

is this the submarine that was supposed to save those trapped kids?

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

quote:

Just returned from Cave 3. Mini-sub is ready if needed. It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids’ soccer team. Leaving here in case it may be useful in the future. Thailand is so beautiful.

I can’t trust twitter embeds anymore to post musk screwups lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spacemang_spliff posted:

its a metallic child coffin yes

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

how quickly we forget

lol

this was the moment everyone barely paying attention to or who were on the fence about Musk went “oh. oh no…”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
how much did he have to pay the rescuer he called a pedophile for not wanting to weld children inside of a rocket tube?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m really glad Elon musk didn’t get to drown some kids in his underwater kid casket

Also just remembered he started calling the diver who did rescue the kids a pedophile because they didn’t use his death tube

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a rescue so dangerous and tricky that even one of the thai marine divers died

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stereotype posted:

how much did he have to pay the rescuer he called a pedophile for not wanting to weld children inside of a rocket tube?

nothing i think and in part because the rescuer hired a lawyer named lin wood who would later be known for other things

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Stereotype posted:

musk won the lawsuit, the british cave guy hired Lin Wood (by two years later lin wood was full qanon calling for pence to be executed)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

From the BBC 2018:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44779998

Note the TWO points where the width of the cave isnt big enough for you wearing scuba gear.

Now lets look at Elons Death Trap Dildo Machine:

Yeah, that was totally going to save the cave kids.

Knowing Elon, it would have exploded.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
they got the kids out by drugging them once before getting in the water and once after getting in the water so that they wouldn't panic and struggle and just dragging them out with masks strapped on their faces

They didn't anticipate how small some of the kids were for their age and there were one or two where the masks didn't fit and they had to do something more risky I forget what

2 rescuers died

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
it's named the WIld Boer after my favorite team

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Big Bad Idiot posted:

they got the kids out by drugging them once before getting in the water and once after getting in the water so that they wouldn't panic and struggle and just dragging them out with masks strapped on their faces

They didn't anticipate how small some of the kids were for their age and there were one or two where the masks didn't fit and they had to do something more risky I forget what

2 rescuers died

I get why they had to do it but man when you word it that way it definitely sounds like Q poo poo lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

musk won the lawsuit, the british cave guy hired Lin Wood (by two years later lin wood was full qanon calling for pence to be executed)

lol. I sometimes wonder if he ended up as counsel for the guy suing Elon so he could tank the case deliberately

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tenderjerk posted:

i vaguely remember seeing this thing elon said where they were working on putting a video game console in this so the kids wouldnt get bored the same day divers just went in and did the rescue

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
these kids are starving their going to die soon... put a gameboy in the death tube so they can enjoy themselves before they die

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

he put the console in but forgot the controllers

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
youtube has the feature where you can look up stuff between dates
after:2022-01-01 before:2022-01-31
(lower case 'before' and 'after', and use the filters like 'most viewed')

I was looked up 'recession coming' just to see some bad track records
And fell upon this video talking about musk's iq.
The video is garbage, but it's a moment in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evsFr1z1mM4

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Jul 2, 2023

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Shipon posted:

I get why they had to do it but man when you word it that way it definitely sounds like Q poo poo lol

the drug was ketamine btw, plus some others to keep them from salivating and lower heart rate. it was 3 hours to get out of the cave and tiny starving children are susceptible to hypothermia. it's really some crazy poo poo they all lived. one of the rescuers who died got a blood infection when they were cut during the rescue and died way after it was over. The other one I guess got lost and ran out of air while they were setting up the cave for the rescue, setting up the guide ropes and extra air tanks and whatever

edit: I looked up the mask problem. The kid with the small head, even if you put the special mask on so their nose was pressed flat still didn't seal. So they put on a regular dive mask meant for conscious divers who can you know, sense if it got pushed off their face. And the rescuer basically had to hold the kid to his chest the whole way cause if the mask slipped there'd be no way to know

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Jul 2, 2023

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tenderjerk posted:

The "rescue" was some of the best divers in the entire world going in and basically teaching a bunch of children how to cave dive from first principles. The entire operation was an absolute miracle.

Musk showed up to drop off his idiot tube and accuse a guy trying to save a bunch of children from a deadly situation of being a pedo.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
they also had to train the divers to administer the drugs correctly while diving

and the divers did sometimes get lost and accidentally backtrack deeper to where they'd just come from cause it was all murky flood water you have to navigate for 3 hours carrying a child through tiny winding caverns

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Big Bad Idiot posted:

edit: I looked up the mask problem. The kid with the small head, even if you put the special mask on so their nose was pressed flat still didn't seal. So they put on a regular dive mask meant for conscious divers who can you know, sense if it got pushed off their face. And the rescuer basically had to hold the kid to his chest the whole way cause if the mask slipped there'd be no way to know

ah yes the ol' navigating with zero visibility by touch only using sidemount tanks to squeeze through holes while holding an unconscious child with a regulator in his mouth. typical diving conditions tbh. frankly surprised musk didn't volunteer to go there and rescue the kids himself; he knows rockets so cave diving should be a piece of cake

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Should've just put a drill cone on it and went through the obstructions. Smh

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it is incredible how loving moronic he is, a brain rotted through and through

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you laugh but i bet the guys in the death sub definitely wish they had a gba to play some minish cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what if the sub implosion was like the minish cap and it compressed them to be really small to enter the mini world