Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

You mean $6M because Muzzin is perma LTIR.

You really don't want to be cutting into LTIR too severely if you can avoid it. So the Leafs should probably budget ~$4m to round out their roster at most. Reaves isn't very useful but his salary can almost entirely be buried. Klingberg was a puzzling use of $4m as I genuinely have no idea what he brings to the Leafs that they don't already have in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Gio isn’t an offensive defenseman anymore and none of McCabe, Brodie, Timmins, or Liljegren are going to put up a lot of points. Klingberg has a lot of similarities to Rielly but I think the Leafs lack of threats from the blueline was pretty apparent last year and the team could benefit from having another playmaker from the back end in the lineup.

I think the thought process is sound, though like Exxon I probably would have preferred trying to make Gustafsson work for 1/4 the price but who knows if he wanted to sign after being scratched into oblivion. The question for me is can Keefe make the pairings work and put Klingberg in places to succeed, cause he sure as hell fumbled Gustafsson and Barrie who are in similar moulds.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhlsv/status/1675181470296551425?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

DJ ZBad is back

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That's nice. Playing more than 1 game in the playoffs would be better though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens a bit older and slower. Same goaltending issues that have plagued them for years now with even more expense. Didn't really address their lack of finish nor their depth scoring....or their utter disappearance of scoring from the defense. So more of the same I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not really more of the same no. They were already the oldest and slowest team in the league. And as you say, they got older and slower. Nedeljkovic is probably a big upgrade over DeSmith but that was about the only positive change that happened. Absent spectacularly good health they're going to finish 10th or 11th.

e: actually I forgot Dumo is gone so that alone bumps them to a probable 8th or 9th place finish. He absolutely cost them at least 8 points by himself last year, even relative to Ty Smith or whoever else might have replaced him. Dumo had to be the worst player in the NHL by volume last year. I'm sure there were some worse players but none of them was playing 20 a night and getting all the toughest assignments. That the Pens had the sense to let him walk is encouraging at least. Have fun with that Seattle!

e2: He actually might play better under Hakstol than he did under Sullivan, for two reasons: Hakstol's system doesn't demand as much of defensemen as Sullivan's, and Hakstol isn't sentimentally attached to him and likely won't overplay him the way Sullivan did.

The downside of ironclad job security is Sullivan felt free to keep riding His Guys all the way to the bottom of the ocean. If he'd felt his job were on the line there is no way in hell he would have kept playing Carter and Dumoulin big minutes to the bitter end. Even Mike Johnston started scratching Scuderi's corpse right before he was fired. If ownership had been in a position to tell Sullivan "make the playoffs or you're fired" Carter and Dumo would have watched the last ten games of the season from the press box for certain.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 2, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
In terms of coaches especially, how much do you think some of them just don’t give a poo poo if their job is on the line versus being stubborn on sticking to what they want to do?

Sullivan especially could be stubborn on “gently caress it, I coach how I coach, we won cups doing it, I have a contract” and also he has to know he would get re hired pretty quickly if the Pens ever fired him. So ego wise why bothering changing on the possibility of getting fired ?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that's why I qualified my statement, Sullivan specifically would not have given a poo poo if ownership had told him "Playoffs or GTFO", because exactly as you say, (1) they still owe him like $15 million and (2) he'd be unemployed for about 10 minutes.

But for any lesser level of coach who feels that as a credible threat, no, he definitely would not keep playing guys like Carter and Dumoulin. You didn't need the fancystats, anyone with functional eyes could see those two guys were killing the Penguins.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Going to be interesting to see how the PoJ/Ty Smith works out this year. In his extremely limited minutes Smith was a fun disaster with mostly positive outcomes and having POJs decent skating would help a ton, but kind of the same problem going into the year where you know MP and Graves are the nailed on starters so your 2 most dynamic skating LDs are vying for the 3rd pairing.

What they really need is to move Petry for a player that can skate because relying on Letang to be the only RD that can skate will not work out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ty Smith was mediocre even in WBS. He's nothing more than a glass guy (as in, "in case of emergency break glass")

They're stuck with Petry, no one is taking him without the Pens attaching picks (and then they don't have the picks they'd need to trade for a real defenseman) or another bad contract back

e: he also has a 15 team no-trade hahahahahahahaha thanks Ron!!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 2, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/stefen_rosner/status/1675356266573492224?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Lou was cooking yesterday

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1675520525316026370?s=20

It's a $3m AAV, good deal for Florida

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Show me the AAV and if it's near or less than 1.5 that's great.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Show me the AAV and if it's near or less than 1.5 that's great.

Rodiruges is a good player

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1675522160113209344?s=20

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Did he just list Toronto 16 times? Because that's valid

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

As of now, the Devils look like (who plays with who likely interchangeable):

Bratt - Hischier - Toffoli
Meier - Hughes - Holtz
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Foote - McLeod - Bastian
ex: Lazar

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
L. Hughes - Marino
Bahl - Miller
ex: Smith/Nemec

Vanecek
Schmid

They have about $5.5m in cap space. I think spending a couple million to upgrade Foote to a really good 4th line winger would be great. Maybe Pius Suter would go well there? Ultimately I don't think the Devils really need to do much considering they can see if Holtz clicks. If he does, they have a sick top nine, if he doesn't, they'll be able to go after the best player available at the deadline with their flexibility.

I'm surprised they didn't go after Sprong considering how cheap he was for Detroit. They could also bring back Tatar, but I think they want to give Holtz a good shot this year.

EDIT: I wonder if we see Gritsyuk come over and compete for a bottom line spot?

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 2, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought he would go for way more than that. Why wouldn't Colorado match that?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Simplex posted:

I thought he would go for way more than that. Why wouldn't Colorado match that?

Because they needed to sign Miles Wood

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the majority of the contract being paid in signing bonus was probably a significant lure as well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are suspension fines based on cap hit or actual salary?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Florida is a no income tax state, so getting a bunch of his money up front is a hedge against being traded later to, say, California or New York.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Florida is a no income tax state, so getting a bunch of his money up front is a hedge against being traded later to, say, California or New York.
Escrow's also a bit weird with signing bonus where any escrow hit is taken out of future salaries but the bonus remains untouched.

I still can't believe how awful all the escrow provisions are for the NHLPA

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Pierre Dorion has managed to cap out Ottawa, so they no longer have room to sign DeBrincat for 1 year even at his lowest-possible arbitration amount ($7.6m) and fill out the rest of the roster.

It's also unclear why Bruce Garrioch has been saying he's "disgruntled" or that he's willing to sign long-term with another team. The more well-connected non-local journalists have consistently said "he likes the team, he likes the coach, he likes the city, but free agency only comes once and he wants to test it out."

The team wouldn't let him talk to other teams about contract until after the framework of a trade was in place, and now that they have let him talk contract, those other teams have also discovered that he isn't interested in signing long-term, because he wants to test free agency. Now nobody wants to trade anything significant for him for only one year, but the team doesn't have the cap space to sign him. Great work, Pierre!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
So what have the Islanders got here heading into 23-24 let's see hmmm

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom-Pageau-Fasching/Holmstrom/Parise if he's not done
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Johnston (lol Lou)

Pelech-Pulock
Dobson-Mayfield
Aho/Bolduc-Romanov

Sorokin
Varlamov

If that Debrincat trade pans out, maybe put him on the first line and bump Barzy down to 3C I guess. This team roster sure is, uh, something

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

Pierre Dorion has managed to cap out Ottawa, so they no longer have room to sign DeBrincat for 1 year even at his lowest-possible arbitration amount ($7.6m) and fill out the rest of the roster.

It's also unclear why Bruce Garrioch has been saying he's "disgruntled" or that he's willing to sign long-term with another team. The more well-connected non-local journalists have consistently said "he likes the team, he likes the coach, he likes the city, but free agency only comes once and he wants to test it out."

The team wouldn't let him talk to other teams about contract until after the framework of a trade was in place, and now that they have let him talk contract, those other teams have also discovered that he isn't interested in signing long-term, because he wants to test free agency. Now nobody wants to trade anything significant for him for only one year, but the team doesn't have the cap space to sign him. Great work, Pierre!

Bottom 6 remains a train wreck as well with 7 forwards currently under contract.

Man is untouchable

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mr. Fish posted:

So what have the Islanders got here heading into 23-24 let's see hmmm

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom-Pageau-Fasching/Holmstrom/Parise if he's not done
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Johnston (lol Lou)

Pelech-Pulock
Dobson-Mayfield
Aho/Bolduc-Romanov

Sorokin
Varlamov

If that Debrincat trade pans out, maybe put him on the first line and bump Barzy down to 3C I guess. This team roster sure is, uh, something

Wahlstrom has not been re-upped as an RFA and if the Isles get DeBrincat, him and Pageau probably go the other way. If that happens, we'd see something like:

Engvall-Barzal-DeBrincat
Lee-Horvat-Palmieri
Fasching-Nelson-Holmstrom/Parise
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Pelech-Pulock
Dobson-Mayfield
Aho/Bolduc-Romanov

Sorokin
Varlamov

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Thoughts on Canucks Free Agency so far:

Ian Cole 1x3M - Will get a lot of PK duty. I don't know how much Cole has left in the tank, but he'll get sheltered to some degree playing on the third pairing or with Quinn Hughes. Apparently kind of a scumbag, which I'm less fond of. It's a one year deal, it's okay.

Carson Soucy 3x3.25M - Canucks wanted more size on the back end and Soucy gives them that while also being a decent defender. Will likely play with Hronek, meaning he can be sheltered a bit if necessary. Has a shot and can provide some offense. A very reasonable contract and not out of line for what Soucy provides. I like this.

Matt Irwin 1x775k - Cheap veteran depth that can still play on the third pairing and not be completely buried. It's fine.

Teddy Blueger 1x1.9M - Relatively cheap veteran depth centre. He'll play on the third or fourth line and get the tougher defensive matchups as well as PK duties. The Canucks desperately needed help on the PK and Blueger does that. Probably won't provide offense but that's not a big deal. I like this.

Zach Sawchenko 1x775k - Whatever. The Canucks need to figure out their goaltending situation behind Demko.

Canucks need to figure out their defense, still. If we assume Hughes, Hronek, Cole and Soucy are all guaranteed roster spots, they have Tucker Poolman (poo poo and possibly still injured), Tyler Myers (poo poo), Christian Wolanin ( probably deserves a legit shot at making the club), Akita Hirose (impressive last year) and Jack Rathbone (who knows at this point) fighting for two regular roster spots.

Please send Tyler Myers back to Africa so that he may be with his own kind.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 2, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens a bit older and slower. Same goaltending issues that have plagued them for years now with even more expense. Didn't really address their lack of finish nor their depth scoring....or their utter disappearance of scoring from the defense. So more of the same I guess.

Bottom six should be better than last year, at least defensively. Offensively I don't see much difference, but if they can just play boring rear end hockey and then let the top six do its thing that should be enough to win a fair amount of games.

Goaltending they were kinda hosed on. The FA options sucked, and no good goalies have been moved via trade. So I dunno what they could have done. Jarry gives league average goaltending and generally no better than that, but the alternatives on the market were even worse. Ryan Graves is a clear upgrade over Dumoulin and should make them better.

It's a good enough roster to compete for a playoff spot but you could say that about every team in the Metro except the Flyers and probably Jackets (unless their young guys take massive leaps and maybe not even then, their depth is poo poo). So it's gonna be a dogfight yet again to get in.

I hope they still find a way to acquire EK because that'd be funny and entertaining.

Imo the big problem with Dubas' approach is deciding not to move picks/prospects. So they're basically doing a half-in approach where they try to win and rebuild at the same time. I don't think that's a particularly workable approach. If they'd been truly all-in on winning, they could have moved that first for something significant.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

I missed Engvall getting 7 years. Lou loves signing his bottom of the line-up guys to long lengths. I don't think Engvall will be in the NHL in 7 years. But good for him, he got paid.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Hate to engage in too much hyperbole in offseason chat but I feel like the rumored Debrincat to the isles trade is a make or break moment between "set up to at least be a playoff team for 5+ years with a good amount of young talent" and "slow slide in to mediocrity with a capped out roster"

They really need to make it happen

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Thoughts on Canucks Free Agency so far:

Teddy Blueger 1x1.9M - Relatively cheap veteran depth centre. He'll play on the third or fourth line and get the tougher defensive matchups as well as PK duties. The Canucks desperately needed help on the PK and Blueger does that. Probably won't provide offense but that's not a big deal. I like this.

Blueger is decently skilled with the puck. Not much of a shot but he's a good playmaker and he has hands and the ability to hold onto it. He really struggled offensively with the Pens last year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound to being a 25-30 point guy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

EDIT: I wonder if we see Gritsyuk come over and compete for a bottom line spot?

He signed in Russia for another few years. Should see him after that.

Has Tatar still not signed? Maybe they're talking to him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Iodised QQ posted:

Hate to engage in too much hyperbole in offseason chat but I feel like the rumored Debrincat to the isles trade is a make or break moment between "set up to at least be a playoff team for 5+ years with a good amount of young talent" and "slow slide in to mediocrity with a capped out roster"

They really need to make it happen

They still won't have a good amount of young talent, but Barzal/DeBrincat are two good young core offense guys.

You're right though, if the Islanders don't land DeBrincat now, they're just going to get older and worse year over year until Lou's successor has to do a full Flyers-style tear-down and rebuild. If they get him, they should be pretty good next year and should stay pretty good for another few seasons as long as Sorokin holds up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

He signed in Russia for another few years. Should see him after that.

Has Tatar still not signed? Maybe they're talking to him.

I missed that he signed in Russia.

Tatar has not signed, but I'm not sure where he would play if they want Holtz to put up or shut up in the top six. Put Palat on the 4th line?

On the other hand, this top nine is just devious:

Bratt - Hischier - Toffoli
Meier - Hughes - Mercer
Palat - Haula - Tatar

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 2, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My review of Boston’s signings:

Old
Old
Old

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think Holtz has earned anything. Ideally they should sign a RW who can compete with him in camp.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I don't think Holtz has earned anything. Ideally they should sign a RW who can compete with him in camp.

He hasn't and to be frank, I'm not sure he's going to earn a regular spot on this team considering the Devils are now in go-mode to win a Cup. I do expect them to sign someone to compete with Holtz, but that probably means they won't spend $3-4m on a player that's not guaranteed a spot.

That said, considering someone like Matt Duchene just signed a 1 year $3m contract presumably to try to win with Dallas, maybe Tatar comes back for really cheap.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It could be the Hellebucyk rumors are true too. Maybe they're still looking at that and want to save space. Boqvist is still around too I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

He wrote one of the best symphonies ever, case in point:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iTfasIpLc