Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I mean the sidequests in 16 are basically the same crap as in every other game. I don't really get the complaints people have about them other than that there's more of them.

I mean if not much has improved, I'm not surprised people are complaining about the same thing. It came up a lot with FFVIIR too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think the side quest felt worse in FF7R because I played the original so they all felt like unnatural padding

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blue Labrador posted:

So I never really got into the Zelda games, but why do they resonate so hard with people? Does the atmosphere just hit people super specifically? I have tons of friends who love the series to death, but they never really quantified why.

they're good

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Blue Labrador posted:

So I never really got into the Zelda games, but why do they resonate so hard with people? Does the atmosphere just hit people super specifically? I have tons of friends who love the series to death, but they never really quantified why.

I'm gonna echo Ibraum, but also I'd certainly admit to nostalgia. I grew up playing various Zelda games from the OG Gameboy brick, Gameboy Color, N64, Gameboy advance/sp, etc. The sound and music design were all also great and memorable, as a person who really clicks with audio stuff.

I'm contrast I haven't played any of the newest Zelda games (BotW, TotK) cause I just don't have the same interest anymore tbh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Great fusion of action adventure and puzzles. (I haven't played enough of the Switch games to see whether that's changed).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

I'm gonna echo Ibraum, but also I'd certainly admit to nostalgia. I grew up playing various Zelda games from the OG Gameboy brick, Gameboy Color, N64, Gameboy advance/sp, etc. The sound and music design were all also great and memorable, as a person who really clicks with audio stuff.

The top down games (at least post NES) still hold up, imo. Good game design is timeless (to a extent).

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

You know, I was mainly thinking of the 3D Zeldas when I say they never enthralled me, but I did play a little of Link to the Past when I was a teen and I remember finding it pretty snappy and charming.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They have good game design and fun and memorable locations and characters.

there's also a lot of self-referential nostalgia baked into the core design (the same basic core cast of link/zelda/ganon, recurring brand elements like the boomerang and bombs, action-adventure gameplay with simple gimmicks for flavor, etc.) that's appealing to adults who grew up with the series, who can then pass that love down to their children

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

You know, I was mainly thinking of the 3D Zeldas when I say they never enthralled me, but I did play a little of Link to the Past when I was a teen and I remember finding it pretty snappy and charming.

with the caveat that I haven't played all the 3D Zelda games, imho:

2D Zeldas > 3D Zeldas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a straightforward, pure, manichaean setup of separating the Good Guys from the Bad Guys by going to cool places and doing cool poo poo with a sword. It has none of the cruft of modern fantasy (moral relativism, brutality) and it gets away with this because it established its pattern of remaking the same premise over and over almost 40 years ago. It always has top-notch art direction and audio. The original designer wanted to capture the feeling of a kid exploring the great outdoors and he succeeded and it turns out a lot of people want to feel that way sometimes

Also the recent ones have leaned hard into emergent mechanics so you can choose what level of goal-orientation you want and they support just loving around to kill some time if that's what you want to do

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Also the recent ones have leaned hard into emergent mechanics so you can choose what level of goal-orientation you want and they support just loving around to kill some time if that's what you want to do

while i really admired what they did by bringing immsim sensibilities to an open world action game, for me botw ended up feeling aimless. i'm sure eventually i'd fall in love, but it didn't pull me in strong enough for me to try (i'll at some point give it another go).

to be clear, though, this is a skill issue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just try TotK. BotW was a beta test and people can just play the release version now

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They're just pretty much the perfect Sword and Shield High Fantasy Rescue The Princess games, and have continued to evolve as the series progressed over the years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If you want charm then play Wind Waker. It's the most charming game on the planet.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Blue Labrador posted:

Link to the Past is very good. The best, some might say.
If you'd like something in a similar vein, Minish Cap or Link Between Worlds are a bit newer and also very good.

Of the Ocarina style games I'd say Windwaker is the best one.

Breath of the Wild and Tears are their own thing. Both are excellent.

Some people even claim Zelda 2 is a good game, but I can't tell if they're serious or not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

OOT and Majoras Mask still hold up insanely well and are two of the best games of all time tbh. Nostalgia be damned.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I think Majora tops the list for Zelda games that everyone should play tbh.

speaking of remakes, my only strongly held RE opinion is I hope they don't remake RE1 anytime soon. that time would be better spent on anything else.

hell it's kinda old at the point, they should just bundle it in with new RE games. I love the REmake so much

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Blue Labrador posted:

Some kids were just unfortunate to grow up in a nintendo only household and it was the only thing they had

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zelda Crimes (Games I have not actually played/finished)
- Majora's Mask
- Oracle of Seasons/Ages
- Wind Waker
- Minish Cap
- Skyward Sword
- Tears of the Kingdom

I guess Four Swords, Tri Force Heroes, and Hyrule Warriors technically count?

Should correct My Crimes at some point.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Just try TotK. BotW was a beta test and people can just play the release version now

I have tried every single (mainline) Zelda game and TotK is the first Zelda game I've genuinely enjoyed.

That probably says a lot about my taste if I've never enjoyed a Zelda game before, but I'll instead attribute it to TotK being really really good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The 3 that come up every time there’s a discussion of Best Zelda are all on that list so yeah fix that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
save the realm as its tiniest hero

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

bone emulator posted:

Link to the Past is very good. The best, some might say.
If you'd like something in a similar vein, Minish Cap or Link Between Worlds are a bit newer and also very good.

Of the Ocarina style games I'd say Windwaker is the best one.

Breath of the Wild and Tears are their own thing. Both are excellent.

Some people even claim Zelda 2 is a good game, but I can't tell if they're serious or not.

This is basically how I feel, with the addition of Links Awakening being maybe my actual favorite due to nostalgia reasons, because I had a Gameboy as a kid.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

The 3 that come up every time there’s a discussion of Best Zelda are all on that list so yeah fix that

Skyward Sword, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages
:hmmyes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
people posting their "played in 2023" game lists have a distinct lack of Pizza Tower on them, and that is a sin that needs rectifying immediately :colbert:

it's on sale for fifteen bucks right now and one of the best platformers ever made with some of the tightest controls and one of the best soundtracks EVER, get on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlq6fFOqI28&hd=1

my games of the year so far:

pizza tower
hi fi rush
minecraft
mtg arena

end list

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

there's also a lot of self-referential nostalgia baked into the core design (the same basic core cast of link/zelda/ganon, recurring brand elements like the boomerang and bombs, action-adventure gameplay with simple gimmicks for flavor, etc.) that's appealing to adults who grew up with the series, who can then pass that love down to their children

You know, I'm a massive Fire Emblem fan, and they do something very similar and I love that aspect of the franchise, so I can understand how that kind of archetype play might resonate with longterm Zelda fans as well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Waitin for pizza tower to come out on the Swutch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I have tried every single (mainline) Zelda game and TotK is the first Zelda game I've genuinely enjoyed.

That probably says a lot about my taste if I've never enjoyed a Zelda game before, but I'll instead attribute it to TotK being really really good.

It does a remarkable job of linking itself to Zelda directly, while also not burdening itself with perceived expectations of what being a Zelda means. Leave that to the imitators. They tried something new to them in BotW and they inspired themselves in new ways in the process and made TotK expanding those good ideas into just a straight up Great Game.

I think it's worth a shot regardless of past experiences or opinions of Zelda games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They put dungeons in the game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have to confess that while I enjoy puzzles on their own I hate puzzles with any amount of pressure, like a time limit or an element of timing or execution. This includes most physics puzzles and so I find it difficult to really get into any Zelda games

This also killed my interest in Crosscode despite multiple friends recommending it to me because they thought it was going to be right up my alley. And so did I at a glance, but they at the time were not aware of just how strongly i dislike action puzzles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

even if we did lose the statue chase in the process.
THEY WHAT

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

capcom is dead to me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We lost the statue chase but I think the firebreathing statue in the tower climb is new?

The new fight against Salazar is actually my least favorite part of the whole thing, it's too maneuverable and its attacks are too hard to dodge

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
re4 remake has outstanding speedrun gameplay, just top notch, but just about everything regarding the setpieces and characters is a step down. ashley's the only thing i'd say was improved across the board

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also big missed opportunity to name all the trophies with quotes from the original (i.e. why "wave goodbye, right hand" and not "your right hand comes off?")

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone want to give me a refresher of what happened in FFX? Did I misunderstand a conversation, or did Yuna lose some of her memory?

Looks very nice on the Vita. It did run pretty warm, though.

I played FFX-2 for about 10 hours once before, but because of the game's non-linear structure, everything after the prologue has been new to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Help me choose: Attorney of the Arcane, or Rain Code?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

capcom is dead to me

counter point, Ghost Trick is on steam now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blue Labrador posted:

Played my first Zelda game only a couple of months back when I finally played Breath of the Wild, absolutely loved it, but thought when I was finished that was probably enough and it would be too soon for me to start Tears of the Kingdom.

Anyway, like a week later.....

https://i.imgur.com/TTnXehn.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blue Labrador posted:

https://twitter.com/Naotgerai/status/1675576728071319553?t=ML4PKhy0L_8uuP8NNEQgPg&s=19