Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok so I have a tech support question. I know, as per the OP, that I'm supposed to go to Haus and engage the literal one (1) user currently browsing there, but this is such an extremely hardware specific and niche question that I feel it has to go here. Tell me to pound sand if you want.

My question is, I have the newest Apple TV. It's great, but I've been getting into Atmos music as I have a nice 7.1.2 setup and figured why not use it? Really impressed with Apple Music on the whole btw, lossless and Atmos included in the base price is pretty great.

The issue is, Apple Music is just like... breaking. Repeatedly. It has something to do with the Atmos tracks; it's fine at first, then it's like a memory hole creeps in and by the time you're 30 minutes in, either it starts to seize up or it just stops playing the Atmos tracks entirely, which solves the problem and concurrently seems to indicate that the direct issue is the Atmos playback.

At that point you can either keep the normal lossless tracks sans Atmos, or reset the ATV, which resolves the issue.

Anyone niche enough to use speaker Atmos through their ATV? If so has this ever been an issue for you?

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Taima posted:

Ok so I have a tech support question. I know, as per the OP, that I'm supposed to go to Haus and engage the literal one (1) user currently browsing there, but this is such an extremely hardware specific and niche question that I feel it has to go here. Tell me to pound sand if you want.

My question is, I have the newest Apple TV. It's great, but I've been getting into Atmos music as I have a nice 7.1.2 setup and figured why not use it? Really impressed with Apple Music on the whole btw, lossless and Atmos included in the base price is pretty great.

The issue is, Apple Music is just like... breaking. Repeatedly. It has something to do with the Atmos tracks; it's fine at first, then it's like a memory hole creeps in and by the time you're 30 minutes in, either it starts to seize up or it just stops playing the Atmos tracks entirely, which solves the problem and concurrently seems to indicate that the direct issue is the Atmos playback.

At that point you can either keep the normal lossless tracks sans Atmos, or reset the ATV, which resolves the issue.

Anyone niche enough to use speaker Atmos through their ATV? If so has this ever been an issue for you?

We have a dolby atmos 5.1.2 setup and have never had any issues with the ATV and any dolby content (video or music) over long periods. Our ATV does route directly into the soundbar to ensure we get the audio properly. We haven't been able to get it (dolby/atmos) working through ARC for other content, and the ATV is where we do all of the fancy stuff. The setup is ATV > Sound Bar > TV < other stuff. Soundbar runs on the ARC hdmi so that it can receive it from hdmi over the other devices.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok so can we talk dockin'

I've got a nice metal vertical stand that the MacBook Air m2 goes in when I want to use it as a desktop. And then I plug in the Magsafe charger and a thunderbolt 4 to Displayport cable for it to drive my 144hz monitor.

Is there a more elegant but not ludicrously expensive way to do this? I guess it'd be nice to have just the one cable to dock, as it's always a bit fiddly doing both the MagSafe charger and the usb c to display port cable.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are any of those little usb c adapters out there that will both act as a power lead for the laptop, and drive the monitor at 144hz. Or if anyone else has any docking ideas!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What’s the go with Macs and Printers? I haven’t owned a printer in over a decade but my dad is about to buy a Mac for the first time and he needs a printer. Is it likely his old cannon will work? (with a USB A to C adapter I guess?)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My 15 year old Canon Pixma worked on my Mac with zero issues with a USB adapter, no additional setup I just plugged it in and it immediately knew what it was and what to do with it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

What’s the go with Macs and Printers? I haven’t owned a printer in over a decade but my dad is about to buy a Mac for the first time and he needs a printer. Is it likely his old cannon will work? (with a USB A to C adapter I guess?)

Should work fine, if it can’t detect the specific printer because of whatever shenanigans using the generic postscript driver should be fine. (Also unless you need advanced printer features I recommend just always using generic).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

I've got a nice metal vertical stand that the MacBook Air m2 goes in when I want to use it as a desktop. And then I plug in the Magsafe charger and a thunderbolt 4 to Displayport cable for it to drive my 144hz monitor.

Is there a more elegant but not ludicrously expensive way to do this? I guess it'd be nice to have just the one cable to dock, as it's always a bit fiddly doing both the MagSafe charger and the usb c to display port cable.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are any of those little usb c adapters out there that will both act as a power lead for the laptop, and drive the monitor at 144hz. Or if anyone else has any docking ideas!
Brydge Vertical Dock.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

My 15 year old Canon Pixma worked on my Mac with zero issues with a USB adapter, no additional setup I just plugged it in and it immediately knew what it was and what to do with it.

Sweet, one less thing to deal with

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

If his old canon doesn't work, just find a networked printer with airprint support and stop handling drivers forever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Brother printers have great Mac support, they update their drivers on the reg for every major macOS update.

HP printers also have decent support, but if you keep your printers on a separate VLAN than your other stuff, it becomes a nightmare as most of their newer drivers automatically assume you keep everything on the same network and give you no way to enter an IP.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Brother's laser printers are the way to go if you need something new and cheap that prints B&W fast. I also have a Canon Pixma, which tends to throw me into a fit of rage every time I use it, but that's more related to the Printer its self and not its mac compatibility. If you really wanna get fancy with the Pixmas, you can download the printer profiles from Canon's website for specific printer paper.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If his old canon doesn't work, just find a networked printer with airprint support and stop handling drivers forever.

This was the plan yes.

Binary Badger posted:

Brother printers have great Mac support, they update their drivers on the reg for every major macOS update.

I was always a huge fan of brother back in the day when I had a pc and I needed a printer.

They aren’t as cheap as other major brands but I feel like there is much less wank and jank and exploitative poo poo with them.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Yeah, Brother's B&W laser printers are workhorses. I just now changed the toner that came with mine years ago. Not that I print a lot, but still, if it were something that needed ink cartridges I'm sure I would have gone through a hundred by now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Brydge Vertical Dock.

Didn’t they like, stop paying employees, not ship orders, basically fall apart, etc?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

powderific posted:

Didn’t they like, stop paying employees, not ship orders, basically fall apart, etc?

Yes.
https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/04/brydge-keyboards-out-of-business-update/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They appear to have gotten new owners:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/29/ipad-keyboard-maker-brydge-acqusition/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wow, reading both of those articles, I would still not trust them with any money.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The new company is being run by the last company’s CFO. That last company closed because it ran out of money.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Wow, reading both of those articles, I would still not trust them with any money.

That’s a shame because I have their last product (the vertical dock for Apple Silicon laptops) and it’s a great dock :(

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I guess it takes Uinta know one! :dadjoke:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does the newest (or the one before) model of MacBook Air support three external monitors? 2 x 24 inch + 1 x 27 inch monitor.

Or is this only possible on the MacBook Pro?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Busy Bee posted:

Does the newest (or the one before) model of MacBook Air support three external monitors? 2 x 24 inch + 1 x 27 inch monitor.

No AS MBA's support more than 1 external monitor, iirc.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Busy Bee posted:

Any Mac with a Mx chip has only two video outputs, one for the main screen and one for external ones.

Any Mac with a Mx Pro, Max or Ultra has three to six video outputs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Busy Bee posted:

M-M-M-MacBook Pro

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My 2018 Macbook Pro 13" started to have charging issues. It would periodically be "Not Charging" when plugged in and I would have to reset the SMC each time to try to fix it. Sometimes resetting the SMC did not work and I would have to do go through the process again. I'm sure it had to do something with the T2 chip since it controls power management too.

Sometimes, when connected to an external monitor, it would charge, then disconnect, then charge repeatedly making the power chime sound. I tried replacing the power brick and cable, but still, these problems persist. I wanted this thing to last one more year but it's become unreliable when doing any kind of data science work. Having a laptop not charge all of a sudden during an important presentation was the last straw. It sucks because the 13" MBP was perfectly fine with the work I was doing.

I decided to finally upgrade to Apple Silicon. I was able to get the base MBP 14" M2 Pro off the Apple education store along with a $150 apple gift card as a promotion. I didn't realize education discount applied to 20% off AppleCare+ also, so I used the $150 giftcard and only paid $69 for AppleCare+. Great deal if anyone's still stuck on Intel Macs.

Man, this is my first experience with Apple Silicon on a laptop. This thing flies and is nearly silent. My old MBP wasn't a slouch but it definitely ran hot and the fans were loud especially if I hooked it up to an external monitor. I do miss the magsafe adapter and I'm glad Apple brought it back. I am beyond frustrated with USB-C charging and the handshake problem I had with my old MBP. The screen is also amazing compared to my old 2018 13" MBP but I mostly only use the laptop monitor as a secondary when docked at my desk.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

The Grumbles posted:

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for but I like the simplicity of just connecting power to this hub via a USB-C cable and just leaving the HDMI plugged in. The MagSafe I only really use when I use my Air on “laptop” mode :v:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YZ48HCT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus christ. I didn't know about all this. That explains why I was able to get two of the vertical docks on deep discount on Amazon, but had to make three returns to get the correct one for my macbook air.

The vertical dock is still a terrific product and if you can get your hands on one, it's a perfect solution.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thunderbolt/USB-C monitor is the way to go imo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Thunderbolt/USB-C monitor is the way to go imo.

agreed, especially the newer ones with built in KVM functionality, but what’s the market like for 144hz/1440p/etc?

If you want good 4K/60Hz + USB-C you’re paying at least $400

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm not sure I've seen a Thunderbolt 3/4, high-refresh, high-resolution monitor? There are definitely models with USB-C support, but they're not TB-equipped.

LG for awhile was making Thunderbolt 3 monitors with VRR support, but it usually only went up to 75 hz, so it wasn't really that impactful.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I use a regular Samsung 144hz 1440p monitor which is nothing special. Thunderbolt 4 to displayport cable gives me 144hz at 1440p just fine with my MBA!

But yeah that's why I'm asking about docks - whether I can have something that just plugs a single usbc or thunderbolt connector, and can still give me 144hz at 1440p, consider the MacBook needs to also be connected to some kind of power cable to drive an external monitor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I use a regular Samsung 144hz 1440p monitor which is nothing special. Thunderbolt 4 to displayport cable gives me 144hz at 1440p just fine with my MBA!

But yeah that's why I'm asking about docks - whether I can have something that just plugs a single usbc or thunderbolt connector, and can still give me 144hz at 1440p, consider the MacBook needs to also be connected to some kind of power cable to drive an external monitor.

https://www.displayninja.com/usb-c-monitor-list/

looks like there are a lot of options out there at 100w, 90w, and 65w of power delivery (shouldn’t rly matter to you at all if you’re powering a MBA or even 14” MBP)

you can try different refresh rates/etc

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Wait does that website have lists of docks too? I mean I'm happy with my existing monitor.

edit: I also want to say that maybe this makes me an easy mark but I like that Apple are leaning into the whole braided cable thing. The cable for this laptop is very nice, and even when I bought one of the new trackpads it came with a nice black braided lightning cable. I wonder if it'll last longer than their plasticky ones did.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It should be illegal for cables not to be braided.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Yeah I’ve only bought braided cables over the past couple of years, none of them are showing any sign of wear.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
MBA 15" isn't going to be refreshed with M3 this year, right? They won't do 2 releases for a single product in 1 year, I'd assume.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Paul MaudDib posted:

MBA 15" isn't going to be refreshed with M3 this year, right? They won't do 2 releases for a single product in 1 year, I'd assume.

they've done similar in the past but i'd be kinda surprised tbh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Apple isn’t on intel’s schedule anymore, expect 18 months or more between releases.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

When did the M2 13” air come out though? It would be peculiar if they didn’t get updates at the same time moving forward; so I’d be counting my 18 months from when it came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What's the easiest Apple thing to resell so I can liquidate $700 in Apple credit? Didn't realize that doing a trade-in during a purchase paid partially in GC would be credited in GC. :suicide:

As expected, you can't buy a GC with credit.