Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
thats steely dan

https://twitter.com/baddantakes/status/1675529367173169153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
is that steely dan

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yes

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

caspergers posted:

This isn't true, right? I thought your debt is transferred to your closet living relative. I'd be very happy if it didn't, because I don't pay my hospital bills

Most debt is owed by your estate after you die. So, for example, if you own a bank account and a house, those things are used to settle your debts when you die. Anything left over goes to your relatives or whoever you designated as heirs. If you have $100 bucks and a lovely rented apartment, then the debtors are out of luck. They cannot go after your relatives for the debts your estate can’t pay.

Stuff like credit card debt often gets forgiven if you ask, simply because the probate process is expensive and isn’t worth it for smaller outstanding balances.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

caspergers posted:

This isn't true, right? I thought your debt is transferred to your closet living relative. I'd be very happy if it didn't, because I don't pay my hospital bills
My internal reaction to reading this: "Haha what? Who would think that you could end up bankrupt because some lovely relative decided to go out with a bang. What kind of insane legal system oh wait they're probably American uhhhh maybe they're right"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And today Tweetdeck can only show your timeline and DMs; all other windows, including Notifications, are broken. Wheeeee!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So at this point is easy to see that there's no enforced rate limits like they said, they might have a slight approximation of a basic web rate limit thing at most. They really hosed up the login page and probably some other pages where I see hundreds of requests firing off in a matter of seconds. The funniest part about it is that the rate limit seems to be per cookie session which is the stupidest way I've ever seen someone trying to block a DDoS ever. Scrapers and bots can obviously refresh their cookies pretty much every request so they're probably the ones with the best access to the platform right now

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And today Tweetdeck can only show your timeline and DMs; all other windows, including Notifications, are broken. Wheeeee!

Yeah I can't see anything or send DMs at all today. I think the Google contract being cut is the most likely culprit now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is better than what I was getting earlier which was every single column getting a 404 from api.twitter.com calls.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

MagpieConcept posted:

Yeah I can't see anything or send DMs at all today. I think the Google contract being cut is the most likely culprit now.

Apparently, Twitter agreed to resume payments to Google last month.

It could be that Elon made the agreement and then defaulted anyway. But how dumb would you have to be to slight arguably the world's biggest tech giant when you run a social media website?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Staryberry posted:

Most debt is owed by your estate after you die. So, for example, if you own a bank account and a house, those things are used to settle your debts when you die. Anything left over goes to your relatives or whoever you designated as heirs. If you have $100 bucks and a lovely rented apartment, then the debtors are out of luck. They cannot go after your relatives for the debts your estate can’t pay.

Stuff like credit card debt often gets forgiven if you ask, simply because the probate process is expensive and isn’t worth it for smaller outstanding balances.

By the way, debt collectors can and will lie to you and claim that you have to pay your dead relatives debt. Never give them a cent. Once they've taken their pound of flesh from the estate, they get nothing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tweetdeck is still 404'ing

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Talorat posted:

By the way, debt collectors can and will lie to you and claim that you have to pay your dead relatives debt. Never give them a cent. Once they've taken their pound of flesh from the estate, they get nothing.

That was probably the most important thing my dad taught me before he died. His assets amounted to a beat to hell van and a couple of changes of clothes when he died, and he made sure to tell me that once they had that van I didn't owe them a drat cent. Which was good news to me, because for the last few years of his life he was living out of that van paying down one credit card with a cash advance from the other and so on, so he owed probably close to 50-60k of credit card debt before he went out. He had terminal cancer so he knew he didn't have long, and this was just after the housing crash and he just stopped giving a gently caress once he knew I had a place to land.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

An ex-Twitter engineer pointed out this morning that Twitter uses Google cloud almost exclusively for code from companies they bought. Twitter itself is hosted on two (formerly three) data centers.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is there any good info on how much cash Twitter has in the bank?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Code from companies Google or Twitter bought? I assume the former and they're locked into Google until they rewrite their code to no longer need the bits Google is providing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Companies Twitter bought.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Inceltown posted:

Code from companies Google or Twitter bought? I assume the former and they're locked into Google until they rewrite their code to no longer need the bits Google is providing.
The latter; they acquired some moderation tool platform back in 2018ish that’s entirely based on Google Cloud (and probably some others). Migrating cloud platforms is a major headache, and I doubt anyone expected “our future idiot CEO doesn’t pay his bills” to be a significant risk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1675586387578351617

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s a prolapse.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Gotta eat that bussy.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

caspergers posted:

Woke up to a text that Uncle Billy passed away. Checked my bank account and found a -$54,322 balance. Really wish he had been better with his money.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raug0EevOmw

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atticus_1354 posted:

Woke up to a text that Uncle Billy passed away. Checked my bank account and found a -$54,322 balance. Really wish he had been better with his money.
"...and here is her name on your adoption papers as birth mother. I'm astonished your parents never told you. So we're thinking 30% of your paycheck? Gross pay obviously."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

My internal reaction to reading this: "Haha what? Who would think that you could end up bankrupt because some lovely relative decided to go out with a bang. What kind of insane legal system oh wait they're probably American uhhhh maybe they're right"

Yeah same

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

theflyingexecutive posted:

Non-competes are about to be banned in NY too, the bill just passed the state legislature and just needs Hochul's signature + 30 days.

Passed in Minnesota this session. Non-compete and no-poach agreements are unenforceable in 29 days from the time of this post. Mandatory pre-employment pot tests are banned too except for people like doctors, cops and federally mandated testing like commercial driver's licenses.

It's funny when companies are completely blindsided by the fact that they have to follow the laws where the workers are and not the laws where their company is headquartered. The company a Canadian goon worked for was bought by an American company. The American HR saw that the Canadians hadn't been drug tested and ordered them to take piss tests. The Canadians said "lol, no" and the Americans got all pissed off and had to have it explained to them that ordering the office workers to take a piss test is a crime and it would be wise to drop the subject before somebody reports the crime.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's pretty common for end of life care to be deducted from inheritance.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

seems like it sucks

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Talorat posted:

The bolded part is key. Once you give a debt collector money you acknowledge that their claim is true. Force them to communicate by mail and never give them any money.

Buddy of mine died of a disease so rare that the Mayo clinic couldn't figure out what it was until shortly before his death. He had run up a huge credit card debt in addition to his hospital bills before he died at ~19 and that's how I learned that the estate owes the debt and his parents could tell the debt collector leeches to go gently caress themselves.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Elysiume posted:

The latter; they acquired some moderation tool platform back in 2018ish that’s entirely based on Google Cloud (and probably some others). Migrating cloud platforms is a major headache, and I doubt anyone expected “our future idiot CEO doesn’t pay his bills” to be a significant risk.

That moderation tool is what they use to combat CSAM btw. All of the right wing turds that claimed Elon was going to kick all the pedos off Twitter are strangely silent about Elon dropping their CSAM tools and firing the team that used it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/OFalafel/status/1222124323508572161

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

There's no rule says a dog can't play soccer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

My Filipino friend says that you do inherit debts in their culture, and that it's a standard topic in TV dramas: the family is crushed by a relative's debt, and what happens next.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/chrisalbon/status/1675235176983711745?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Filipino friend says that you do inherit debts in their culture, and that it's a standard topic in TV dramas: the family is crushed by a relative's debt, and what happens next.

Looking this up articles 774 and 776 of the civil code of the Philippines says debts of the dead are owed by their estate and are not transferred to the family similar to the US. The family home is also protected so claims cannot be made against it for debt owed.

A 6% tax that has to be paid for all things inherited is the only thing I see that the surviving family might have to pay personally.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MisterOblivious posted:

That moderation tool is what they use to combat CSAM btw. All of the right wing turds that claimed Elon was going to kick all the pedos off Twitter are strangely silent about Elon dropping their CSAM tools and firing the team that used it.

right wing turds don’t remotely understand how running a website works, hth

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

It's a crime to post that without the followup.

https://twitter.com/chrisalbon/status/1675236746215452672?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SophLouiseHall/status/1675504461899259904