Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Not really. It’s a haldex system so most of the time it will behave like a FWD car. The AWD system is mostly for getting you unstuck or climbing slightly snowy hills and whatnot. It won’t make your car turn or stop any better in bad weather.

If you replace a tire that’s significantly worn you should replace its L/R pair at the same time, but thats generally a good practice anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Not really. I’d say if you have a flat to still put a full sized wheel on the front and a donut on the back because most of your braking and all of your steering happens with the front wheels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think that with abs, traction control, vsc etc on everything these days, most if not all vehicles that come with a spare will have a full *diameter* spare so that the tire can be changed and the aforementioned systems won't freak the gently caress out. AWD or not.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You’ll have to change the rear diff fluid every so often. Interval is ~30k, but early and often is never bad.

Do you have access to service records? See if it’s been changed recently, consider checking/changing anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Thanks for the input folks. Got myself a couple of buckets, a jug of car cleaner, a bottle of auto glass cleaner, some towels, and a couple of mitts.

KakerMix posted:

What color is it? Genuinely curious if it's white or not.

opengl posted:

Red is my guess, feels like they're always red.

It's green! :mrgw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

no lube so what posted:

You’ll have to change the rear diff fluid every so often. Interval is ~30k, but early and often is never bad.

Do you have access to service records? See if it’s been changed recently, consider checking/changing anyway.

This is good to know, thanks!

I do! I have a total of 30 service records in the Carfax report on this car, and it mentions the front and rear differential fluid being changed in some of them. I will keep on this (planning on having all services done at the dealer where I got this, since its a Honda dealer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Thanks for the input folks. Got myself a couple of buckets, a jug of car cleaner, a bottle of auto glass cleaner, some towels, and a couple of mitts.

Oooh! Pretty! My wife’s favorite color, too!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

that color and those lines are kinda Jaguar-like. Very nice!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

05 Crown Vic; I've been periodically refilling my AC refrigerant when the AC starts blowing warm. However this last time the gauge on the hose filler thing said it was over half full. Obviously I do have a leak somewhere but are there other causes for the AC to go back and forth between warm and cold air? Anecdotally it feels like after a turn or running over a bump makes it blow cold again for a bit but I haven't really tested it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm thinking of getting my Type-R professionally detailed and a place I'm looking at offers ceramic coating. Is that stuff worth it for a daily driver?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm thinking of getting my Type-R professionally detailed and a place I'm looking at offers ceramic coating. Is that stuff worth it for a daily driver?

It's just silicone wax. Calling it ceramic is marketing hype.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on how much they charge for it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nitrogen tire fills, a scam since air is already mostly nitrogen or is it something I never realized I needed like synthetic oil?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bilirubin posted:

Nitrogen tire fills, a scam since air is already mostly nitrogen or is it something I never realized I needed like synthetic oil?

bullshit

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My in-laws got their son’s Impreza’s tires replaced at Costco. They made a big deal out of being filled with nitrogen. The car sat a while and the tires went flat. They let it sit there with flat tires for months because they didn’t have a way to top it off with nitrogen.

Marketing works? gently caress.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Technically CO2 dissolves in rubber, meaning it's pourus to CO2. The second or third time you top off your tire the mix is like 90%+ nitrogen

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bilirubin posted:

It's a scam. For a road car there is simply no need.

Racing it's somewhat different but on the road nooooope

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you can get a free nitrogen fill at a Costco or whatever sure why not but it’s not actually gonna do anything for you. Normal air is like 78% N2 anyway

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

The actual gain is it's dry since it's coming from a gas bottle. What comes out of an air compressor has (possibly, it depends) humidity in it. That moisture causes much larger pressure swings from temp changes than just gas expansion.

In racing where small changes in pressure have a big impact on performance it can matter a lot.

On a street car it's a scam.

Any gains you might see are equaled by checking your tire pressures on a semi regular basis. After a large temp swing being an ideal time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hadlock posted:

Technically CO2 dissolves in rubber, meaning it's pourus to CO2. The second or third time you top off your tire the mix is like 90%+ nitrogen

The atmosphere is well under 0.1% CO2 :P It's predominantly nitrogen with 23% oxygen and the rest is sort of whatever (for these purposes)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

gonna sell "2-sigma N-14" to tesla owners, giving them only the purest >95% nitrogen-14 isotopes for their tires

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Costco tire center sucks no other contribution

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bilirubin posted:

Here is a stupid question: this HR-V will be my first AWD car. Any particular things I should be keeping in mind or is it "just drive, don't overthink things" since I'm not a (frequent) off road driver?

Just drive don’t overthink, follow any owner’s manual recommended service items at the appropriate intervals. Those AWD systems are mostly “lifetime” fluid at the diff and probably more software than anything these days.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Inner Light posted:

Just drive don’t overthink, follow any owner’s manual recommended service items at the appropriate intervals. Those AWD systems are mostly “lifetime” fluid at the diff and probably more software than anything these days.

I agree on not overthinking it, but if you can change fluids always changes fluids at/before interval.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

no lube so what posted:

I agree on not overthinking it, but if you can change fluids always changes fluids at/before interval.

Incredible username/post combo.

BMW still sells cars with no transmission fluid change interval at all, right? How do you pick an interval when the manufacturer says "Never"?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I am enjoying overthinking a little right now, new car time always gets me a little excited (for all 4 times I have bought a car)

Honda owners [TELL] me about the Econ mode. I definitely found the thing more responsive with it off. When engaged there was an infuriating pause before accelerating to pass

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

Incredible username/post combo.

BMW still sells cars with no transmission fluid change interval at all, right? How do you pick an interval when the manufacturer says "Never"?

If it’s a sealed unit without a drain or fill port, than whatevs. It’s going to do what it’s going to do. Material science has came a long way, and I’m sure some units don’t need it/ won’t be the probable cause of failure if the unit does fail.

Google leads me to believe the Honda unit does have an interval and can be serviced. Takes about 2 quarts. ~$30-50 of fluids and limited labor.

Looks like a used rear diff for a CRV is ~2-300 bucks. New $1.5k.

So what, owning the vehicle for 100k, it would be like under $150 fluid to insure against a $300 part, and more costly labor.

Idk if that insurance pencils out, vs letting the dice roll.

I think the follow the interval if there is one, and don’t over think it is pretty fair.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nice! The car I was asking about brake fluid on was a 1997 Celica GT-Four -- sup Celica buddy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

honda whisperer posted:

On a street car it's a scam.

Any gains you might see are equaled by checking your tire pressures on a semi regular basis. After a large temp swing being an ideal time.
But if your tires are 1.5 PSI off this might happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA5qj5ergM&t=3s

For those who don't get it: https://jalopnik.com/how-not-to-explain-why-you-crashed-your-car-via-this-b-1677523538

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

I am enjoying overthinking a little right now, new car time always gets me a little excited (for all 4 times I have bought a car)

Honda owners [TELL] me about the Econ mode. I definitely found the thing more responsive with it off. When engaged there was an infuriating pause before accelerating to pass

I kept my 2013 CR-V in econ mode all of the time, which really should just be "normal" mode. The main thing turning "econ" off does is map the entire throttle travel to just the first 20% of the pedal, so that boomers who are scared to floor it "because it'll hurt the car" won't feel like they're crawling around all the time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Haha that's great.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

I kept my 2013 CR-V in econ mode all of the time, which really should just be "normal" mode. The main thing turning "econ" off does is map the entire throttle travel to just the first 20% of the pedal, so that boomers who are scared to floor it "because it'll hurt the car" won't feel like they're crawling around all the time.

Found this helpful video explaining what it does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCqSq68N4o
So it seems for some of my drives through the mountains in particular I should be turning it off to maintain a constant rate of speed but on the flats, and when the car isn't battling "black car, black interior, sitting in the sun" syndrome, I should leave it on.

I have a generally soft driving foot anyway, so I doubt I'll see much difference in gas mileage either way, but it was the cause of that hesitation in responsiveness I noticed when trying to speed up to pass.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I had a 2013 Accord, eco changed the throttle response and hvac. But in my testing, leaving it on for entire tanks vs off, there was no diff in mpg. I had a 95% highway commute back then though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

movax posted:

Nice! The car I was asking about brake fluid on was a 1997 Celica GT-Four -- sup Celica buddy.

I was looking for something to replace my 1997 Buick LeSabre (which had developed some engine problems in recent months which appeared to be uneconomical to resolve, and then in recent weeks appears to have developed some weird electrical problem??), ran across the Celica on Craigslist with ~241k miles, and decided that the beginning of summer was in fact the perfect time to jump into a convertible with a stick-shift; my first time owning either.

It's been a blast, every time I put the top down I look for an excuse to take it out and drive it at least one more time in the day before putting the top back up for the evening, rowing the gears is enormous fun (still working on smoother starts and shifts :shobon: ), and it gets nothing but praise from anyone I've shown it to. I was a little hesitant at first but I've definitely fallen in love with the Celica.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey thread, haven't had to post here before but looking for some help/advice. My GF has a 2013 Kia Soul where the only external lock to get into the car is on the driver door. Unfortunately someone tried to break into it a couple nights ago and completely hosed up the lock cylinder and also managed to get it broken to the point where it cannot be unlocked and its stuck locked and unable to be opened/unlocked as all the internals are seized up. For now we had a locksmith pop the passenger door so its at least drivable. My question is how do I get at the lock/door latch mechanism so I can get it unstuck without being able to actually open the door? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It won't open from the inside either? Does the window go down? Might take a talented someone to poke around through the window gap and see if they can manipulate the mechanism from above. Another possibility is to continue damaging the lock until it's removed from the door and doesn't jam things up anymore. Absolute worst case is you damage/destroy/cut up the door panel to get access from the inside and disconnect whatever is jamming it. I'd think you should be able to get a used door panel without too much trouble.

I did look it up and unfortunately you can't remove the door panel properly with it closed, there are 3 screws you can only get to with the door open.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 3, 2023

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

LloydDobler posted:

It won't open from the inside either? Does the window go down? Might take a talented someone to poke around through the window gap and see if they can manipulate the mechanism from above. Another possibility is to continue damaging the lock until it's removed from the door and doesn't jam things up anymore. Absolute worst case is you damage/destroy/cut up the door panel to get access from the inside and disconnect whatever is jamming it. I'd think you should be able to get a used door panel without too much trouble.

Yeah it doesn't open from inside or out and the little lock switch is jammed in the lock position, whatever the thief did they really messed up the internals of the lock and door release badly. Haven't checked the window yet so not sure about that. Also having looked up how the door card comes off it seems like unless I can find a way to get it to release it seems like I'll definitely have to destroy the door panel to get it open.

AK-47 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 3, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Since the lock is already junk, I don't see why you couldn't just drill it out. You may damage the latching mechanism, but it's probably already damaged. Get medieval on it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

What you don't want to do is damage any part of the main door, it's the hardest thing to replace and have it look right. Unless the car is a beater, then do whatever. But the handle and door panel and any internal mechanism are all replaceable.

And i recently did this for a friend, his door got hit and wouldn't open at all, so all we needed to do was get it open once. I rolled the window down, and pried the door panel up and over its hook at the top, basically destroying it, and was able to fish out the opening cable and yank on it hard enough to get the door to pop open. It wasn't locked though. My backup plan was just to cut the outer sheet metal with a saw and peel the skin back, but again that was a damaged door that we were replacing anyway.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 3, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably the wrong thread, but is anyone familiar with CAN RE stuff?

I've got a PeakCAN adapter and I've figured out what I need to transmit by spending some time with PCANViewer but the software doesn't allow you to write loops or anything, some of the messages I need to transmit have counters or CRC.

What (free) software do people use for this, or do they really resort to writing a console application in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A python app is what I'd do. There are libraries for things like UDS, so hopefully you don't end up implementing too much low level poo poo. I haven't seen (also haven't looked super hard) gui tools that have any flexibility in transmitting complicated sequences