Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I dig the sensible shoes, shirt, and plaid skirt of StC Amy. It's got that everyday girl of the 90s vibe to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

StC Amy was great, she ended up having her own series in the comic with original character Tekno the Canary, who was also rad as hell.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Veotax posted:

StC Amy is another character design oddity, having kind of 'upturned' spikes.

This late 80s New Wave Amy loving rules. She'd tell me Siouxsie Sioux's "a bit much", but would still enjoy Oingo Boingo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StC definitely went way out ahead of general Sonic canon in making Amy a cool and fun character in her own right. To the point that they had to build up her character completely from scratch, since for pretty much the whole run of the comic her game-canon personality was "damsel in distress with a crush on the hero". The crossbow thing honestly makes perfect sense in that context - Sonic goes fast and has a speedy name, Tails' big feature is his tails, Knuckles uses his knuckles for punching and digging, so surely Amy's power must be aim-y?

It's still my favourite depiction of Amy, to the extent that you can consider her the same character at all. The games' canon depiction is only just starting to catch up. I'll forgive Archie not doing anything similar with her, since they already had some cool girl characters from the cartoon cast they adapted.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We could do an all-girls cast 2D game with Amy, Surge, and Tangle. Whisper too if you are creative enough to adapt sniper as an interesting mechanic for speedy platforming. I mean, Fang got away with it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

mycot posted:

Wasn't killing off Robotnik slightly more reasonable in the context of everyone assuming the comic was ending at around issue #50 and it going on way longer than that? Like everything that's been said is all true but still.

Yes and no: See the original impetus for killing off Robotnik makes sense: It was assumed at the time that the comic was likely going to be cancelled by its 50th issue, so the Endgame story arc where Robotnik is killed off would make for a good finale. The problem is that when the comic continued on past Endgame Ken Penders became really adamant about them not bringing Robotnik back. Legend has it that Penders' ultimate aim was to replace Robotnik with a new character called "Dr. Droid" as the main antagonist, which is insane not just for the obvious reasons but also because Dr. Droid was a character Penders had originally created for The Lost Ones, a failed comic series he did for Image comics that was cancelled after a single issue.

He wanted to replace Robotnik with an OC he created for ANOTHER project.

Looper posted:

the explanations for why sonic, robotnik, and amy's appearances change just in time for the sonic adventure adaptation are all really funny though

I still love the fact that they felt like they needed to provide an explanation for why Sonic has green eyes and slightly different shoes for the Adventure storyline. I also love that the best explanation they could think of was "He got hit by a time-beam while running around the Earth with a super emerald trying to save the world from a time-space distortion and it made him look different". Also that they thought Amy aging herself up by several years with a magic wishing macguffin was a better explanation for her Adventure design than "She bought a new dress and got a haircut".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Replacing Robotnik with a new villain to keep things fresh isn’t a terrible idea. I think it’s more that it’s Penders and he just wanted replace the entire setting with his own fanfic.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

We could do an all-girls cast 2D game with Amy, Surge, and Tangle. Whisper too if you are creative enough to adapt sniper as an interesting mechanic for speedy platforming. I mean, Fang got away with it.

Now I'm thinking about how cool playable Surge and Tangle would be.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

this is blaze erasure. and cream has been a sidekick to both of them!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

this is blaze erasure. and cream has been a sidekick to both of them!!
Blaze is in another dimension, and Cream is a child and should not be adventuring

(Sonic will be arrested by child services for endangering Tails)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Say what you will about Archie, but they made Mecha Madness and that poo poo was sick as hell.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Blaze is in another dimension, and Cream is a child and should not be adventuring

(Sonic will be arrested by child services for endangering Tails)

Nah, Sonic's fine. I'm pretty sure 8 is the age of majority in Sonic's world. Case in point: Tails owns multiple vehicles and pieces of property and is financially self sufficient. By contrast, the six-year-old cast members like Cream and Charmy are treated as tiny babies who still require legal guardians.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

you could very easily adapt the avatar's gameplay from forces into something whisper could use, I feel like Tails could conceivably use it too considering he made the tech (iirc)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

you could very easily adapt the avatar's gameplay from forces into something whisper could use, I feel like Tails could conceivably use it too considering he made the tech (iirc)

Conversely I could see Tangle playing kind of like the Werehog only faster (or maybe something akin to Bionic Commando)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Archie sonic is badass

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Someone made a Whisper mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2 and she's pretty fun. The laser and rocket launcher don't really come in handy often, but she can use the hover wisp for a double-jump and Mary Poppins Glide, the cube wisp for a stomp, and the spikes wisp shoots out like a yo-yo and drags her along, including up walls like a big excited dog. A bit rough to control between lock-on only working horizontally and the decision to map everything to the spin button in different states instead of using more buttons, but still one of my favorites, 10/10, did pair with Tangle and clear the whole game again.

The Archie comics killing off Robotnik a while wasn't a terrible idea. It got the story an actual climax, and it put the characters in a different situation for a while. I remember enjoying the wizard stuff and the globetrotting bit as a kid, and when I did a reread / catch up from where I stopped read in college to get current because the stuff that cool goon who took it over was doing was great, I enjoyed a bit of the character stuff for Sonic. The political intrigue and rebuilding stuff loving sucked, and Sonic thought so too.

Archie Sonic, it turns out, has no loving idea what to do with himself without Robotnik around, to the point that he takes the first real opportunity to fly around the world and hunt a wizard. And come to think of it, it makes a nice parallel with the new Robotnik later:
He's from a universe where Robotnik finally won, he killed his Sonic, and now he is bored as gently caress. So bored that he decides to dimension hop to find a new Sonic to fight. Honestly, the idea that Sonic and Eggman both kind of love their whole conflict and would not know how to deal with it being over feels like something modern Sonic should use more, I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't much of that at the start of IDW when Eggman was gone.

(Also, Pre-Flynn Archie is uneven but has it's good points, near the end of it it gets loving terrible, and then Flynn Archie is great at least until the reboot where I fell off for economic reasons. Come to think of it I got most of the post-reboot from Humble Bundle or something, I should read that sometime.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dabir posted:

No, and no

Ken Penders was and is a lunatic egomaniac, and those other bodies were a one-off joke. One of them is just Hulk Hogan in a red jumpsuit

<----

:buddy:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Say what you will about Archie, but they made Mecha Madness and that poo poo was sick as hell.

I think it also helped that Spaz illustrated the entire issue instead of just the cover. That was pretty rare

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 3, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain France posted:

Someone made a Whisper mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2 and she's pretty fun. The laser and rocket launcher don't really come in handy often, but she can use the hover wisp for a double-jump and Mary Poppins Glide, the cube wisp for a stomp, and the spikes wisp shoots out like a yo-yo and drags her along, including up walls like a big excited dog. A bit rough to control between lock-on only working horizontally and the decision to map everything to the spin button in different states instead of using more buttons, but still one of my favorites, 10/10, did pair with Tangle and clear the whole game again.

What’s Tangle’s gameplay like out of curiosity?

Also it’s kind of a pity that the Archie comic was just cancelled outright and never brought to any actual conclusion (though then again, so was Fleetway)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it does suck but they got to finish the big unleashed arc at least

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It still kinda blows my mind a) How utterly loving dangerous (Robo-Robotnik) Eggman was and how he had everyone by the throat and b) Ultimately, it's Dr Wily of all people who takes him down largely by getting into contact with him and making him lose his winning hand!

Comics are insane.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2023

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The first 24 or so issues of Archie Sonic are a miserable slog of unfunny, not-very-clever children's slapstick comedy comic that happens to feature Sonic and friends. From 25 to 50 when they start introducing stakes and a real overarching plot, say what you will about the quality of some of the stories in that bit, it got way more interesting and kept my attention much MUCH easier. The hunt for Naugus and return of Robo-Robotnik from 51-75 were fun, if messy, and everything after that, up to 160, is when it just spirals into a loving nightmare. (edit: Big exception being the Lost In Space arc that happens starting in issue 126 which is legitimately still a really cool series of stories about Sonic hopping around alien worlds trying to get back home. Sticks out in comparison to everything around it for being Actually Good.)

However, it's one of the most entertaining, fascinating, and enjoyable nightmares I've ever read in my life, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who likes Sonic enough to post in the Sonic thread on the gay dead website in Current Year. The Bad Years of the Archie Sonic comic are the best example of "so bad it's good" entertainment I've ever personally consumed.

And then after that it just gets actually legit good because a competent writer who actually likes Sonic took over and they started hiring people who can actually draw Sonic characters. But that's not as funny to talk about.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 3, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
99% agreed except the earliest issues are also funny for just how stupid the boomer humor is

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

What’s Tangle’s gameplay like out of curiosity?

Also it’s kind of a pity that the Archie comic was just cancelled outright and never brought to any actual conclusion (though then again, so was Fleetway)

She has a Mario-style Triple Jump I always forget about, and her tail is like a rubber band that can stick to the floor (fun, especially with a momentum mod, but hard to use) and to any wall Knuckles can climb and most ceilings. She's tricky to use well, but really fun. Some people might say she's overpowered, but, like, Tails can fly.

Looper posted:

99% agreed except the earliest issues are also funny for just how stupid the boomer humor is

There was a bit where Sonic stopped the entire comic to make every tree pun he could think of in like two panels, and while Flynn did it better later with Enerjak, that is legitimately one of my favorite things to see Sonic do.

Also great, although I think it didn't start showing up until later, is "I'll go check," then a panel without Sonic, then Sonic is back the next panel "I checked."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJyq-8bvWg

Tangle is very fun in SRB2

There’s also a really good Surge mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnIB_DZ3v8

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey speaking of SRB2, some people made it into an action rpg based on Phantasy Star Portable 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4mCqpW9DM

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lets hang out posted:

hey speaking of SRB2, some people made it into an action rpg based on Phantasy Star Portable 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4mCqpW9DM

ignite infinity...

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So now SRB2 is a Sonic game, and a Persona game, and a Metroid game, and oh right there's also a multiplayer shooter mode. Oh! And I forgot the loving giant kart racer. And of course, the entire thing is technically a Doom mod. Oh! And I forgot about how I'm pretty sure there's also a Doom Guy who plays like Doom if he could jump.

Sometimes, I loving love the Sonic fandom, and I am so glad that SRB2 finally clicked for me earlier this year.

(Even if that action RPG mod doesn't look all that fun, gotta respect the sheer wow factor of it even existing)

--Edit
Loaded up the Doom mod, Tailsguy, and it reminded me:
SRB2 also contains a Night Into Dreams clone for it's special stages, and someone made an Adventure Sonic with a complete physics rework.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 4, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay I have a really specific question that is driving me crazy.

Sonic Adventure 2 had those little trailers that would play when you finished a campaign, to go and get you zazzed up to play the next one. I very distinctly remember GOODBYE SONIC...FOREVER in the trailer for the Hero campaign.

What order did those play in? I'm trying to remember if the trailer for the Final Story played when you beat both Hero and Dark or if it played after you beat Final Story. And if it's the former, what did play when you beat the Final Story?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The trailer for Last Story played after whichever of Hero or Dark you beat second. The only thing that plays after the Last Story is the credits iirc

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

And a memorial image of Shadow imposed over a red and blue Earth

Rest easy heroes

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sayonara... Shadow the Hedgehog...

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

TriffTshngo posted:

The first 24 or so issues of Archie Sonic are a miserable slog of unfunny, not-very-clever children's slapstick comedy comic that happens to feature Sonic and friends. From 25 to 50 when they start introducing stakes and a real overarching plot, say what you will about the quality of some of the stories in that bit, it got way more interesting and kept my attention much MUCH easier. The hunt for Naugus and return of Robo-Robotnik from 51-75 were fun, if messy, and everything after that, up to 160, is when it just spirals into a loving nightmare. (edit: Big exception being the Lost In Space arc that happens starting in issue 126 which is legitimately still a really cool series of stories about Sonic hopping around alien worlds trying to get back home. Sticks out in comparison to everything around it for being Actually Good.)

However, it's one of the most entertaining, fascinating, and enjoyable nightmares I've ever read in my life, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who likes Sonic enough to post in the Sonic thread on the gay dead website in Current Year. The Bad Years of the Archie Sonic comic are the best example of "so bad it's good" entertainment I've ever personally consumed.

And then after that it just gets actually legit good because a competent writer who actually likes Sonic took over and they started hiring people who can actually draw Sonic characters. But that's not as funny to talk about.

For all the hate on the Pre-Flynn era of Archie Sonic, I think there's a lot to like there barring the Knuckles series or the few times they let Penders write his B stories. I think Karl Bollers had a good run on the main book overall. As forgettable as a lot of it is, the lead up to Robo Robotnik genuinely had me hooked, and in general when poo poo popped off, it popped off hard. It's a ride I don't regret taking to get to the later stuff.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The first episode of Sonic Prime’s second half is on YouTube, if you want your Shadow fix.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

The first episode of Sonic Prime’s second half is on YouTube, if you want your Shadow fix.

Did it get leaked or something? I thought the second part wasn’t due out until the 13th

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s on Netflix’s YouTube channel. It’s actually pretty common for animated shows these days to get the first episode of a season shown on YouTube.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, I was looking on the wrong channel. Here it is:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3OWqSavVE

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I've gotta say: I'm really digging Shadow's characterization in Prime. I even find his tendency to just beat the poo poo out of Sonic as a default greeting pretty endearing...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Party Boat posted:

Sayonara... Shadow the Hedgehog...

I can still hear that piano :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

I've gotta say: I'm really digging Shadow's characterization in Prime. I even find his tendency to just beat the poo poo out of Sonic as a default greeting pretty endearing...

slapping sonic upside the head whenever he starts talking is understandable really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Should I watch Prime? I watched one clip where Rouge was doing her "I love GOOOOOOOOLD" shtick and Sonic was like "bro how'd you get in here" and she was like "you left the door open, dumbass." and it was really funny. Is the whole show like that? Is there a lot of Rouge? The idea of her as one of Sonic's buddies struck me as a really interesting twist on her character.