Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Maybe it’s just my Chaos Knight-collector biases talking, but I think, in general, BL books with Chaos-aligned protagonists are just more interesting than their Imperium analogues.

They’re just generally weirder.

This is true, and xenos protags are even better.

Now if only we could get an Eldar book that doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wish Black Library had bothered giving Matthew Farrer a chance t o write Eldar, because I've read two of his Eldar short stories now and both were fantastic. The real kicker is that Eldar aren't even the actual main characters in either of them, and he still manages to do them justice.

But apparently the reason why this hasn't happened yet is because Gav Thorpe keeps blocking other authors from doing it, at least according to the grapevine via a friend on Discord.
Which is hilarious considering that apparently the Ynnead series sold so badly that it got cancelled. :v:

But I would loving love to see what Farrer could do if he was given a full book to flex his Xenos writing muscles.

Same goes for the author who did Mistress Baeda’s Gift. Because somehow that Dark Eldar story manages to be both a goth romance, and horny on main at the same time. With a large dollop of some gore too for good effect.
Even if the part where a Dark Eldar Lord learns about love from a human comes off as hilarious in out of place it feels. But then the ending is peak Dark Eldar as well.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 29, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I admit I wasn’t sold on Wraight at first but right now he’s a firm #2 at BL after Abnett. Those are really the only two whose actual prose is enjoyable to read - there are others who are competent at plotting, character work, dialogue, etc. but who just don’t have the same level of polish and sophistication in the prose itself. Wraight’s writing isn’t just thrilling or emotionally resonant, but it’s actually fun to read because of how adept he is with language. Take this bit from the Kharn/Sigismund fight in Warhawk:

quote:

It was like fighting the end of the universe. Nothing could shake the faith before him. It was blind to everything but itself, as selfish as a jewel-thief in a hoard. His chainaxe whirred as wildly as he’d ever thrown it, igniting the promethium vapour in the air, sending the blood lashing out like whipcord. He scored hits with it. He wounded the ghost. He made him stagger, made him gasp. The heat roared within him, turbocharging his hearts. He heard the coarse whisper of the Great God in his bruised ears. Do it. Do this thing. Do this thing for me. The ghost came back at him, tall and dark, his brow crackling with lightning-flecks, his armour as light-devouring as the blade he wielded.

Look at the use of language there: Kharn threw his axe. He scored hits. Sigismund’s faith is selfish. And the sentence structure: short metaphor, short declarative, then a complex sentence with a simile, then a longer complex sentence with two subordinate clauses, then back to short, punchy, declarative sentences, building slowly back up to the description of Sigismund. It feels like a fight. And note how the verb choices evoke the character of the fighters: Kharn throws and scores and wounds; his axe whirs and ignites. Sigismund merely “came back.”

Abnett has also really mastered this use of language, especially in Saturnine (Camba-Diaz on the bridge, Abaddon in the basement) and in TEATD (Malcador’s chapters most of all). But he’s also able to do something no other BL writer can really do, which is to adopt tropes and themes from existing literary genres to the 40K universe in a way that feels natural. Only in Death is a haunted-house story that feels 40k. Pariah and Penitent are classic Gothic novels in everything but setting. Know No Fear feels like a martial record in a history book.

I like ADB but I find his writing repetitive and overly reliant on a few different tropes he uses over and over again (something being “not funny” or “the wrong side of hilarious,” as noted above). I would like to see him break out of the mold he’s in, because he is talented, but it feels like he doesn’t often push himself outside of the “milfic” box. The First Heretic was probably his most “experimental” novel and, not coincidentally, his best.

That said I think Echoes was very very good, so I think ADB can do much better when he’s pushed a little out of his comfort zone and writes about characters other than his faves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any books that focus on the Red Corsairs? I know that they play a large role in Blood Reaver but mostly as antagonists and allies of circumstance. But are there any books about a Corsair crew going on merry pirate adventures?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any books that focus on the Red Corsairs? I know that they play a large role in Blood Reaver but mostly as antagonists and allies of circumstance. But are there any books about a Corsair crew going on merry pirate adventures?

Huron Blackheart: Master of the Maelstrom, by Mike Brooks. It's decent enough.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/chronicles-world-warhammer-black-library-books

27 ebooks, some old world releases, Pariah, didn't see what else.

E: Indomitus, Priests of Mars, that awful Guilliman primarch novel, I think Gloomspite was OK?

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 29, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I wish Black Library had bothered giving Matthew Farrer a chance t o write Eldar, because I've read two of his Eldar short stories now and both were fantastic. The real kicker is that Eldar aren't even the actual main characters in either of them, and he still manages to do them justice.

But apparently the reason why this hasn't happened yet is because Gav Thorpe keeps blocking other authors from doing it, at least according to the grapevine via a friend on Discord.
Which is hilarious considering that apparently the Ynnead series sold so badly that it got cancelled. :v:

But I would loving love to see what Farrer could do if he was given a full book to flex his Xenos writing muscles.

Same goes for the author who did Mistress Baeda’s Gift. Because somehow that Dark Eldar story manages to be both a goth romance, and horny on main at the same time. With a large dollop of some gore too for good effect.
Even if the part where a Dark Eldar Lord learns about love from a human comes off as hilarious in out of place it feels. But then the ending is peak Dark Eldar as well.

Who on God's Green Earth is allowing Gav to make these sorts of decisions?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Finished Vaults of Terra. What a ride, good poo poo. I hope everyone made it out ok!!

I would like to say one thing and that's that one of you scamps posted that you had finished The Carrion Throne, and then you posted the final twist of the The Dark City in a spoiler tag, and that kinda sucked because I would've liked to be surprised by that! The series is called Vaults of Terra, not The Carrion Throne! Thanks! :)

Throne drat you. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Calax posted:

Who on God's Green Earth is allowing Gav to make these sorts of decisions?

People who cave in to the fact he's one of the old Guard at GW I imagine and seemingly have a lot of pull there.
A shame he didn't leave alongside Andy Chambers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

People who cave in to the fact he's one of the old Guard at GW I imagine and seemingly have a lot of pull there.
A shame he didn't leave alongside Andy Chambers.

What I wouldn't give to get thorpe, kyme and mcneil to stop writing

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

The others can go, but gimme that McSlop. I don't care, gently caress me up doc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
He ends every single chapter with what I assume he thinks is some kind of badass line

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

He ends every single chapter with what I assume he thinks is some kind of badass line

drat right he does. Drills and skills baby.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kyme is apparently a good editor?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can work with McNeil but yeah Gav is a struggle.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ebooks for King of the Spoil and Martyr's Tomb are now out. Excited about KoS for the 40k cyberpunk angle and I am hoping Martyr's Tomb is finally a good Dawn of Fire book since Marc Collins is a good writer compared to the first four.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok something interesting right away from the Martyr's Tomb Dramatis Personae so not really a spoiler:

Morvenn Vahl is listed as the Abbess Sanctorum of the Adepta Sororitas and a High Lord of Terra. I am not aware of any head of the SoBs being a high lord before. It looks like Guilliman must have put her in the position after the purge we saw in Watcher's of The Throne. Some interesting implications since that's basically giving the Ecclesiarchy two spots on the high lords. Hopefully the novel explores this a bit and she isn't just a throwaway character.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

D-Pad posted:

Ok something interesting right away from the Martyr's Tomb Dramatis Personae so not really a spoiler:

Morvenn Vahl is listed as the Abbess Sanctorum of the Adepta Sororitas and a High Lord of Terra. I am not aware of any head of the SoBs being a high lord before. It looks like Guilliman must have put her in the position after the purge we saw in Watcher's of The Throne. Some interesting implications since that's basically giving the Ecclesiarchy two spots on the high lords. Hopefully the novel explores this a bit and she isn't just a throwaway character.

There’s never been a specific one listed but ever since second edition it’s been one of the “rotating” positions, so it’s not an unusual option.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

There’s never been a specific one listed but ever since second edition it’s been one of the “rotating” positions, so it’s not an unusual option.

I would still classify it as unusual. Of the twelve positions, nine are for all intents and purposes permanent for their adepta which leaves three open seats that nine other heads of adepta can possibly fill. I also think it is interesting given Guilliman's view of the Ecclesiarchy when he awoke as well as possible changes in that view hinted at in the Dark Imperium series. I really hope this book explores this more.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I guess after the turmoil of Watchers having an extra High Lord who 'Thinks I'm a literal Demi-God' seems perfectly plausible for RG to want in place.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Literal Miracles, frequently stemming from the SoB involvement, are the only reason the Imperium is still able to compete with every other factions new toys since the quantity of Primaris have made the Space Marines suffer from Ninja-itis. Giving the SoB a seat, even if it means doubling up on Ecclesiarchy influence, fits pretty well with Robby G's pragmatism regarding the nature of the universe he is in.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

It’s also not a spoiler because when Vahl was first revealed two years ago they said she was a High Lord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s also not a spoiler because when Vahl was first revealed two years ago they said she was a High Lord

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/10/this-high-lord-of-terra-prefers-the-battlefield-to-the-boardroom/ posted:

Morvenn Vahl is one of the youngest Battle Sisters to ever occupy the position of Abbess Sanctorum, the supreme commander of the Adepta Sororitas. Chosen by the Ecclesiarch in the vain hope of securing a malleable and inexperienced pawn, Vahl instead took to her appointment with the faith and zeal that had served her well in the Celestant order.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ah cool I don't follow tabletop stuff really so I didn't realize she had a model and everything. It's interesting too that a high lord would be allowed to be on the front lines. Like even for a sister of battle where you expect that type of thing she can't really perform any high lord duties while on crusade because that all takes place back on Terra. I wonder if she can give her vote by proxy to the Ecclesiarch or something.

All this comes down to I want more political stuff that's my jam. We just don't get enough of it. Watchers was excellent and I want a lot more.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

It's interesting too that a high lord would be allowed to be on the front lines. Like even for a sister of battle where you expect that type of thing she can't really perform any high lord duties while on crusade because that all takes place back on Terra. I wonder if she can give her vote by proxy to the Ecclesiarch or something.

I bet Gulliman multi-tasks and is busy signing forms in his helmet even as he's krumping heretics.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I bet Gulliman multi-tasks and is busy signing forms in his helmet even as he's krumping heretics.

He absolutely does but he even says himself in one of the books that choosing to go out and lead the crusade meant he couldn't manage the day to day of the imperium itself which is why it was so important he put the right high lords in place to continue his wishes for how the imperium should be run. Which is why it's surprising one of the twelve is also on the front lines, especially one he specifically appointed instead of having already been one and allowed to stay.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I finished Requiem Infernal and poo poo man, that was a ride.

Going to read it again after finishing the rest of Fehervari's stuff, because god was it dense. Thank y'all for recommending him here.

I think my favorite part was the sheer payoff of Jonah and Asenath subtly, and then not so subtly manifesting Khorne and Slaanesh respectively --- Jonah unknowingly summoning an army of Bloodletters to counter the much more overt Nurgle/Tzeentch poo poo that was going down, and Asenath becoming her own Daemonette. It's not the usual way that those beings/metaphysics tend to behave in these books, but it's totally consistent with the themes of Chaos, which absolutely should get weird like that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All this talk about high lords makes me want another Watchers of the Throne so bad. I think my favorite type of warhams after crazy esoteric weirdness is definitely high stakes politicking

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mazed posted:

I finished Requiem Infernal and poo poo man, that was a ride.

Going to read it again after finishing the rest of Fehervari's stuff, because god was it dense. Thank y'all for recommending him here.

I think my favorite part was the sheer payoff of Jonah and Asenath subtly, and then not so subtly manifesting Khorne and Slaanesh respectively --- Jonah unknowingly summoning an army of Bloodletters to counter the much more overt Nurgle/Tzeentch poo poo that was going down, and Asenath becoming her own Daemonette. It's not the usual way that those beings/metaphysics tend to behave in these books, but it's totally consistent with the themes of Chaos, which absolutely should get weird like that.

I love how weird and out there his take on chaos is, it owns

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Angels of Caliban is genuinely more engang than other Gav I've read (and it also feels like it's still the first 15% of a novel about 50% in, it's not great), but the problem is that 1st Legion stuff in the Heresy in general has been interminably boring, so I don't remember who any of these assholes are except for Luther and Zahariel.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/02/sunday-preview-a-primarch-a-rebel-and-a-kommando-walk-into-a-warhammer-store/

You want some books? Of course you do.

First up we have a special release of Honourbound by Rachel Harrison, limited to 1500 copies.

Honestly didn't think this book was all that spectacular when I read it, far too much "We need to show off how serious things are by killing something new" and Severina was just unimpressive as a character.

Then we have the standard release of Cypher: Lord of The Fallen by John French, will be available in the usual formats.

Lastly Awakenings by George Mann will be getting a paperback release.

There's honestly so large gaps between these reissues that I keep forgetting these books exists. Could've sworn I've seen the audiobook version of Awakenings before though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Man, I just keep thinking about how primaris was such a good chance to introduce ladymarines, but they blew it. 10,000 loving years, could've figured it out by then.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

Man, I just keep thinking about how primaris was such a good chance to introduce ladymarines, but they blew it. 10,000 loving years, could've figured it out by then.

Cawl could always introduce ladymarines in canon at any time.

I agree with you though. Missed opportunity.

Still, part of me thinks the misogyny is part of the darkness of the setting, even if unintentionally so.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Cooked Auto posted:

Could've sworn I've seen the audiobook version of Awakenings before though.

There absolutely was because I own that.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Female space marines (of a kind) feature in Harrowmaster by Mike Brooks. It’s a bit of a throwaway appearance but Harrowmaster itself is excellent and worth a read, easily the best 40K Alpha Legion book and hopefully Brooks gets to do a sequel and do more with his female SMs. They’re still way less than what GE should do (use Cawl to bring female SMs into the entire 40K setting permanently) but looks like the most we’re gonna get from BL/GW for now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Fabius Bile did make a female Astartes equivalent just for kicks, in his trilogy.

I suspect we will see a special character pop up at some point, to test the waters. If somehow the Quarterings of the world don't flip their poo poo at a Spess Mehrine with boobs, they can expand on that in the next release. Otherwise, they'll just say the geneseed was unstable or just quietly drop it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My boy Bile is already on the to-read list, adding Harrowmaster too. The XXth is my favorite bunch of rascals.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Not sure you should give the person who said "Let's play this 100% straight with nothing for a modern human to cling to" a limited release.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Still relatively new to the WH40K lore. I'm reading through the Horus Heresy books (reading Book 8 right now). Any suggestions for books that are good primers on factions I haven't really come across yet? Don't know much about Tau, Necrons, Tyranids, Aeldari, Drukhari and Genestealer Cults. Curious about Votann too but I'm guessing they're new enough that there aren't any novels to read yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Day of Ascension for Genestealer Cults, Infinite And Divine for Necrons (comedic), and Twice Dead King: Ruin for Necrons (tragic)