Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Would be fun to have an accessibility option be basically "parent mode" which configures the game to be playable with one arm and the option to true pause. I found turn based games to be much more appealing post children compared to pre children. Games that were a little too cutthroat about "you could totally get shanked while you were busy looking at a map!" are a lot less fun when you might need to drop what you are doing at a moments notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
to quote El-P "it ain't a game if this poo poo don't pause"

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Panfilo posted:

Would be fun to have an accessibility option be basically "parent mode" which configures the game to be playable with one arm and the option to true pause. I found turn based games to be much more appealing post children compared to pre children. Games that were a little too cutthroat about "you could totally get shanked while you were busy looking at a map!" are a lot less fun when you might need to drop what you are doing at a moments notice.

This is why I bought Zelda and not Diablo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've never used a video monitor and I don't really check on my kid. As long as they're staying in the room it's all good lol. She's almost 4 now and so far the worst is just a little bit of playing with stuffies and singing to herself before eventually falling asleep. It's great. Here's hoping #2 sleeps as well.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

at bedtime, I fake farted while pretending to be a sleeping cat (her idea) and my daughter laughed so hard she fell over. 2.5 is the sweet spot. lots of interaction but not enough awareness to be a genuine terror.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

School is out for the summer and my older kid is so happy. Suspect they will be less happy when their summer program starts next week. It's too bad. The last couple of summers they had more of a Calvin and Hobbes-esque "just do whatever" summer holiday experience and it created the expectation that it was the norm.

On this topic the summer camps and programs for children are so expensive. Some friends told us that in Germany summer programs are paid for by the govt, and the returning question is are we giant suckers for raising kids in the US?

meanolmrcloud posted:

at bedtime, I fake farted while pretending to be a sleeping cat (her idea) and my daughter laughed so hard she fell over. 2.5 is the sweet spot. lots of interaction but not enough awareness to be a genuine terror.
The toddler uncontrollable belly laughter is great.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Don't worry Germany will cut all of those programs over the next ten years.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I spend about 3k a summer on outdoor camp for my kid. however today she is at home because the air quality is “very dangerous” god drat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
OFC the one day a month my wife went into the office is the one day Chicago has the worst air quality on Earth.
You could smell it in the air. At least cars have filters.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

nothing like a six month odl baby smiling the worlds biggest smile at you, disarmingly, before grabbing your beard and pulling as hard as possible

Month 9 and it's still happening, love removing pulled beard hairs from her closed fist

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cheen posted:

Month 9 and it's still happening, love removing pulled beard hairs from her closed fist

I don't have a lot of chest hair, but I now know that it's grabable and quite sensitive. Also I had more a few months ago.

Paternity leave is good also, a bit stressful to time naps with picking up the five year old at 1430 sharp, but otherwise chill. I do like to notice how the baby clothes make some people very sure about the baby's gender. Anything pink means it's a girl, even if I say "he".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Looks like being a smooth hairless twink has paid off handsomely yet again :smug:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Microplastics posted:

Looks like being a smooth hairless twink has paid off handsomely yet again :smug:

My 11-month-old is happy to pinch your flesh if there isn't sufficient hair for her to pull.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also your face is a prime target, ears, nose, eyes, mouth, whatever. I particularly enjoy when he tries to put my mouth into his mouth, that is not at all gross.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gooey hand into the mouth is just great

I've learned to just accept the twins gnawing on my finger, no teeth yet so they can't really cause any damage

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
My daughter's first interaction with me was to feel my beard. Now she's 12 and still sometimes does it and it feels extra sweet and nostalgic now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

toddler drank stagnant splash pad water

we’ll be lucky if the whole house comes down with just norovirus lol

why, toddler

why

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I thought I told you not to but you had to so you did

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IagkZ8MRR2w

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Jul 1, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Insanite posted:

toddler drank stagnant splash pad water

we’ll be lucky if the whole house comes down with just norovirus lol

why, toddler

why

no way to avoid toddler drinking splash pad water, you just hail Satan and hope for the best

Well there is a way but come on it's a splash pad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We've taught our toddler to let out a big satisfying gasp after he takes a sip of water so now I know when he's drinking something he shouldn't be because of the tell-tale "mTAHH" noise coming from his direction

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Microplastics posted:

We've taught our toddler to let out a big satisfying gasp after he takes a sip of water so now I know when he's drinking something he shouldn't be because of the tell-tale "mTAHH" noise coming from his direction

lmao that owns

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Our 4yo had an accident this morning on the way to the toilet.

I walked into the bathroom expecting devastation, but she was standing on the IKEA Bolmen stool that acts as the toilet footstool, with the entirety of the accident (pee) contained within the recessed top of the stool.

I was very impressed.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Our 4yo had an accident this morning on the way to the toilet.

I walked into the bathroom expecting devastation, but she was standing on the IKEA Bolmen stool that acts as the toilet footstool, with the entirety of the accident (pee) contained within the recessed top of the stool.

I was very impressed.

Your kid is the MacGyver of peeing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my nephew is visiting and dude is addicted to Roblox. brought his Xbox just to play it and watching all these YouTube let’s plays . what garbage. going to have to spend a week deprogramming my kid on this crap.

can’t really bring it up to my sister in law about how their kid has strong parasocial relationships with YouTubers and talks like them..

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah my son has a friend like that and it blows my mind that parents just let their kids mainline YouTube like that.

don't let your kid play Roblox. just don't even start.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Does anyone use outschool and have any favorites on there? Have looked through many virtual and hybrid options and it seems like the best we’ll do for a 3 year old.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Baby girl is up to date on her vaccines until Fall. :toot: How long until the 5G chip activates and she can function as an internet router? :v:

She's starting to understand things. Things like if we're at the clinic, it's because she's going to get poked for vaccines. We had to go to the clinic for a check-up, and a nurse walks in the room to prepare a syringe. Baby girl gripped my finger and looked anxious at the nurse until she left. I told her that yeah, it sucks getting injections, but it's necessary for her to grow big and strong.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
What is rainbow friends?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kal-L posted:

Baby girl is up to date on her vaccines until Fall. :toot: How long until the 5G chip activates and she can function as an internet router? :v:

She's starting to understand things. Things like if we're at the clinic, it's because she's going to get poked for vaccines. We had to go to the clinic for a check-up, and a nurse walks in the room to prepare a syringe. Baby girl gripped my finger and looked anxious at the nurse until she left. I told her that yeah, it sucks getting injections, but it's necessary for her to grow big and strong.

Pro-tip: eating chocolate as you get injections is shown to reduce perception of pain. Also, generally a great distraction.

Also, as a nurse who does some work in Paeds outpatients, remember little kids will kill for stickers.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

Does anyone use outschool and have any favorites on there? Have looked through many virtual and hybrid options and it seems like the best we’ll do for a 3 year old.

we know someone who uses it, but there's not much to say about it in general because it's gig economy style in the sense that the teachers aren't being centrally planned or anything, so your experiences will vary depending on the specific teacher

we did preschool stuff at home at the start of covid and used this curriculum (did years 1 and 2) - idk what your appetite for "homeschooling" looks like but this worked great for us
https://shop.busytoddler.com/product/playing-preschool-complete-program/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AxGrap posted:

What is rainbow friends?

Jessie Jackson for kids?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

my nephew is visiting and dude is addicted to Roblox. brought his Xbox just to play it and watching all these YouTube let’s plays . what garbage. going to have to spend a week deprogramming my kid on this crap.

can’t really bring it up to my sister in law about how their kid has strong parasocial relationships with YouTubers and talks like them..

all my in laws' kids are like this too. youtube, roblox, unboxing, all unfiltered on tablets from the very start. 16 month old starts biting if his mom doesn't hold up her phone for the monster truck show. a big pile of electronics have to follow them where ever they go. 9 year old gets a glass of pepsi with dinner. :psyduck:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kal-L posted:

The 5g chip doesn't do anything harmful like expose her to the internet. It just makes her a communist.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

man this is making me feel better about the screen time my 3 year old gets. he likes tv shows but we try to keep youtube strictly controlled (by us) and i refuse to let him watch like unboxing videos, people playing with toys, etc. this is a miss rachel and garbage truck compilation household.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter (3 in August) still doesn't know what YouTube is. She loves every other streaming service there is though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dont think my son knows what any of the streaming services are lol, he just likes his stories

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah technically she couldn't tell you what's Amazon and what's Disney, I just meant we haven't exposed her to YouTube crap, just TV shows

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
during the early pandemic years (lmao) my seven year old used to regularly video chat with another kid where they played (sometimes together) and talked and stuff. except the other kid was simultaneously using a second ipad the entire time???

my kid gets a half hour of game screentime and a half hour of show time each day, and compared to 99% of other parents apparently that makes us luddites lmao

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

we know someone who uses it, but there's not much to say about it in general because it's gig economy style in the sense that the teachers aren't being centrally planned or anything, so your experiences will vary depending on the specific teacher

we did preschool stuff at home at the start of covid and used this curriculum (did years 1 and 2) - idk what your appetite for "homeschooling" looks like but this worked great for us
https://shop.busytoddler.com/product/playing-preschool-complete-program/

Yeah we just can’t find a good virtual or hybrid option within an hour drive.

Thank you Re: playing preschool. We are most of the way through the program! It does take a lot of prep work. He’s gobbling it up and we feel like we just don’t know where the gaps are or what we’re missing. We are doing a virtual thing as well (“Northern Lights Academy”) but it’s not as advanced, mostly like building stuff, emotional intelligence, taking turns, etc, which maybe is what he needs rn? No idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
We went to a wedding and wisely had my mom watch our kids overnight and I was silently judging the parents at the table next to ours. They had a 2 and 3 year old and both of them would scream nonstop if the nearest relative didn't hold a phone up next to their face during the entire reception. And these kids could scream pretty goddamn loud; there was a ten piece band blasting away with horns and snare drums on stage and you could still hear these kids drowning out the music. Like I get not everyone has the the privilege of having a babysitter on hand (in this case their normal babysitter relative was likely at the same event as well) and maybe they never let their kids look at screens and this was the one exception. But still.

I'll admit to being kind of a hypocrite in that I'll let my kids watch videos as well to keep them preoccupied at times, but I'm at least self aware enough to try to encourage stuff like storybots or bluey instead of overly consumerist content. And I also try to limit it to weekends/special occasions, because as their post-school workloads gradually increase it's just going to be an uphill battle keeping them on task.

And I'm probably showing my age and this is a cyclical problem but it feels like 'kids these days" have a harder time managing boredom. My parents weren't luddites by any stretch but I remember that I read tons of books as a kid when I had nothing else to do and engaged in a lot of imagination play. It's cool and all that there's more fun things to entertain us and all, but sometimes your batteries are dead or it's simply not appropriate to be preoccupied on a tablet. I worry about the kids overly reliant on that endorphin kick of The YouTubes or DigiBloks or whatever :psyduck: fads young people are getting into these days. But I'm sure every parent thought this with new technology.