Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol I got similar when I mentioned how many people I see out of my backup camera walking directly into the path of the moving car with their noses buried in their phones
the civic morale is so depressed by car culture that pedestrians subconsciously suicide in ways like this

if our lived environment were worth living in people would be watching the gently caress out somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
You can think that's dumb & chuckle about it without thinking cars should have the legal right of way to run people over ya dumb asses

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey let’s turn this thread i to reddit,

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Hey let’s turn this thread i to reddit,

Hey mods, ban everyone doing this. TIA

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol are you 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Lol are you 2015

Yes

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I guess we all have to go back to Digg, now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They should bring back the Yahoo! News Message Boards.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

with both reddit and twitter collapsing on the same day, i'm starting to wonder if this was planned cover for someone about to make big moves

my personal theory is the day of reckoning that papa john promised has arrived, and there's about to be pandemonium in the streets

death is too good for what that man did to food, and his audacity to call it "pizza"

kuarduck posted:

Thank god I :10bux: long time ago

That's the thing. Registrations are up, but there's a lot of people like me that joined almost a decade ago, just lurked for a while and then forgot. I'm willing to be posting activity in general is up.

Vampire Panties posted:

Anything Lemon says about AI is total horseshit. Twitter is crashing and burning because of basic technical issues - not just the login-self-DDoS, but Lemon decided to gently caress around with their google cloud bill so they're on a pay-as-you-go model, which directly impacted their service.

I do think the recent finger pointing about third party apps, api and scrappers is at least a little linked to AI. Site owners are at least thinking about their 'content' being used for models. It might not be the CAUSE of the problem, but I'm sure techbros are more than willing to blame a emerging technology the general public barely understands and overestimates.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Busters posted:

I do think the recent finger pointing about third party apps, api and scrappers is at least a little linked to AI. Site owners are at least thinking about their 'content' being used for models. It might not be the CAUSE of the problem, but I'm sure techbros are more than willing to blame a emerging technology the general public barely understands and overestimates.

:agreed: I'm sure one of Lemon's sycophants asked a leading question such as "are you rate limiting because you are worried about being scraped for AI training like Reddit? thats so smart😍"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

hello internet posted:

Yeah for sure, putting your safety and wellbeing into the hands of random strangers when you can just turn your head sounds like solid logic

Trust, but don't verify. Got it

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I checked the Reddark thing and it seems to have stopped tracking subs weeks ago. Every single sub is back online outside r/programming and r/mensfashionadvice which were both 5m+ subs. Absolutley no discussion about the API or the shut down apps on the front page. This protest is deader than the rich people sub. Boost for Android still works btw.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
what loving idiot walks out into the road without looking both ways?? this is a self solving problem

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Putty posted:

I checked the Reddark thing and it seems to have stopped tracking subs weeks ago. Every single sub is back online outside r/programming and r/mensfashionadvice which were both 5m+ subs. Absolutley no discussion about the API or the shut down apps on the front page. This protest is deader than the rich people sub. Boost for Android still works btw.

But r/XenobladeChronicles2 is still down!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the blackout protest couldn't really continue more than a few days because the admins can (and did) just start forcing them back open and removing uncooperative mods

unsurprisingly, a company run by a techbro ignored extremely loud feedback from users about how to make their product better (or in this case, not make it worse) and went full steam ahead

so all that's left now is to see how much their numbers fall with the apps gone. they'll probably take the twitter route, a combination of lying and inventing new metrics to pretend that actually they have more users than ever now, wow!!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i deleted RIF and I literally haven't been back to reddit since then lol. This is as smart of a move as elon intentionally rate limiting twitter

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

HonorableTB posted:

i deleted RIF and I literally haven't been back to reddit since then lol. This is as smart of a move as elon intentionally rate limiting twitter

I'm sure a lot of people will relapse but its crazy how these sites have broken people's 5 or 10 year habits in like a week. There are entire graduate fields of study surrounding these types of addictions & a growing field of helping people break them. It's really hard to get people to stop doing something after 10 years of doing it! And yet...

I mostly left SA for twitter and have been totally 100% addicted to it since 2009 and now i just... don't.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’ve stopped going to Reddit but it’s just because 99% of my internet use is mobile and their app/site on mobile is atrocious.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

bus hustler posted:

I'm sure a lot of people will relapse but its crazy how these sites have broken people's 5 or 10 year habits in like a week. There are entire graduate fields of study surrounding these types of addictions & a growing field of helping people break them. It's really hard to get people to stop doing something after 10 years of doing it! And yet...

I mostly left SA for twitter and have been totally 100% addicted to it since 2009 and now i just... don't.

I just came back to SA now that Twitter and Reddit are borked.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Reddit at least for myself has gone from a checking regularly on my phone to once or twice a day on my laptop sometimes less. This is going to seriously cut into their metrics since there are a lot of people who solely use the internet on their phones. I know on the sub that I mod 60+ were on third party apps. I don’t have new metrics yet but I know from posts already engagement is way down.

My guess is that this is going to be a downward spiral, you have lower engagement from a significant amount of users which in turn will drive less engagement from the rest. You’ll see ghost towns in months.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

bus hustler posted:

I hope people in the future make fun of us like “Hey I’m going to put my kid on social media! Lol! They love social media!” and use funny voices when they say it.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Frankly Reddit had been getting less and less entertaining for me since the emergence of the “cringe” anger-engagement themed subreddits, the only way I found it usable was to filter out literally like 200 subreddits. Toward the end I would mostly just open it out of habit, it wasn’t entertaining at all. Good riddance, except for the niche communities, it’s going to suck seeing those go.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Reddit fills a niche that's really better served by like reading a mindless YA novel on my phone. I just prefer reading text to video/audio as a time filler & reddit generates a lot of it that's just interesting enough to read and forget about. If I make it some big "real" book as a time filler I'll never do it, but I'm not kidding I may just re-read something stupid like Animorphs to fill the same void.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Frankly Reddit had been getting less and less entertaining for me since the emergence of the “cringe” anger-engagement themed subreddits, the only way I found it usable was to filter out literally like 200 subreddits. Toward the end I would mostly just open it out of habit, it wasn’t entertaining at all. Good riddance, except for the niche communities, it’s going to suck seeing those go.
I'm convinced nobody at The_Donald actually believed in what they were doing. The amount of hatred coming from that place, I just feel there were a lot of angry young dudes that just needed to experience a common cause with someone whether they agreed with it or not.

BeatingWomen shouldn't have been allowed to get off the ground. Potentially controversial, but I don't think the 'milder' ones like FatPeopleHate should've either.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
theres a way to get RIF working again

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditisfun/comments/144gmfq/rif_will_shut_down_on_june_30_2023_in_response_to/jq8ly9o/

I just used it, works fine. I presume this will eventually break but I guess I'm happy to have my dopamine miner back for now, and the reminder to come back to something awful for a lil bit more sometimes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was easier for me to just use reddit less

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm thinking of creating the ultimate engagement machine. It's gonna be forums, but any user can open a new subforum.

However! Inspired by the classic movie The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down, if a subforum falls under a certain posting speed the subforum is deleted and the moderators and posters are all banned.

This will create the ultimate just post engagement engine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lusty Grundles posted:

I'm convinced nobody at The_Donald actually believed in what they were doing. The amount of hatred coming from that place, I just feel there were a lot of angry young dudes that just needed to experience a common cause with someone whether they agreed with it or not.

BeatingWomen shouldn't have been allowed to get off the ground. Potentially controversial, but I don't think the 'milder' ones like FatPeopleHate should've either.

iirc The_Donald started as a joke and it was ironic support but within a few months the true believers took over and the irony was dead. The original The_Donald (and the original Trump threads here) spirit was basically the Can't Stump The Trump videos which were very clearly parodies and making fun of Trump and some point along the way I think they ironypilled themselves into legitimate support.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Had to uninstall apollo, poured one out for it.

It's alright, gives me an excuse to be on my phone less anyways

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
wrong thread

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was excited for RiF to stop working and then I'd uninstall but it just... Keeps working like normal? Idgi

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

HonorableTB posted:

The original The_Donald (and the original Trump threads here) spirit was basically the Can't Stump The Trump videos which were very clearly parodies and making fun of Trump and some point along the way I think they ironypilled themselves into legitimate support.

Honestly this mimics his actual campaign. It was funny at first, but then it became real.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Thank you Jesus.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Was excited for RiF to stop working and then I'd uninstall but it just... Keeps working like normal? Idgi

Broke for me a couple days ago

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

HonorableTB posted:

iirc The_Donald started as a joke and it was ironic support but within a few months the true believers took over and the irony was dead. The original The_Donald (and the original Trump threads here) spirit was basically the Can't Stump The Trump videos which were very clearly parodies and making fun of Trump and some point along the way I think they ironypilled themselves into legitimate support.

This is how most of the irony subs went, gamingcirclejerk was the most recent example I can think of that somehow went from Todd Howard and Witcher jokes to some hyper left hellhole

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Lusty Grundles posted:

Potentially controversial, but I don't think the 'milder' ones like FatPeopleHate should've either.

on a related note, i wouldn't advise anyone to go back and read the Cliff Yablonski section of this site again

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I guess the Reddit API was free and so they didn’t have anyone’s payment details, and they can’t just start charging people without them agreeing to the terms, so I suppose it’s up to Reddit to kill the API keys if the developers don’t.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Junk posted:

on a related note, i wouldn't advise anyone to go back and read the Cliff Yablonski section of this site again

ugly cat is ugly on the inside

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Catastrophe posted:

I guess we all have to go back to Digg, now.

I'm an internet OG but never used Digg, was it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I thought it was just lovely slashdot but idk