Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Mostly the former in the case of platline. Platline is a pretty important processing line. It makes the six platinum group metals, and you need all of them going forward. Since the base input (platinum metallic powder) has no other use, it's best to build a factory to process every single scrap you get as soon as possible.

Here's a platline I built in a previous map:

This was a large enough build for me to create a dedicated AE2 sub-network specifically for handling fluid and item logistics between parts of this. You can see part of where it interfaces with the main network in the lower left. Those are fluid p2ps patching into the subnet.

What tier were you on when you set this up? And looking at that makes me think I might be best to set something up like that in my personal dimension. Once I hit IV it seems like it's not overly hard to nab an ender chest and tank via enchanted reward bags (or so discord says). So I can transport items and fluid power via that way between dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

What tier were you on when you set this up? And looking at that makes me think I might be best to set something up like that in my personal dimension. Once I hit IV it seems like it's not overly hard to nab an ender chest and tank via enchanted reward bags (or so discord says). So I can transport items and fluid power via that way between dimensions.

I built that in IV. To exit IV, you have to build the Assembly Line, or assline for short. Making it is, uh, a little complicated.

Rows 5, 6, and 7 contain fine platinum wire. As you can see, you need a ton of this stuff. While you COULD batch it, it's a much better idea to grit your teeth and build the full platline. You will need the palladium, ruthenium, rhodium, iridium, and osmium it makes to do anything useful in LuV.

And yeah, that was my personal dimension that run. At that point I had basically moved inside of it full time. I had fluid nukes for power and ender chests/tanks servicing offworld miners. Only reason I went back to the overworld was to use my thaumcraft setup that I never bothered to move in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm conflicted by moving full time into the personal dimension. While it would be easier. It would look aesthetically gross. And I don't build the nicest looking bases but I try.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How do I access a personal dimension? I think I saw something about it in a thaumcraft tab but didn't fully investigate.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

How do I access a personal dimension? I think I saw something about it in a thaumcraft tab but didn't fully investigate.

It's a quest reward for going to the moon in the space race tab.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

The personal dimension portal (not the same thing as The Last Millennium portal in the thaumcraft tab) is a quest reward for getting to the Moon for the first time. It lets you create a personal dimension with options sort of like a superflat world:

(All of these are enabled when you first place the portal, this is a shot from me editing a personal dim portal later which disables a lot of the options.) You can place whatever terrain you want from those options in whatever layers you want, or you can elect not to place any layers at all and have a void dimension.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah okay. Guess you can tell that I still haven't launched to the moon yet then. :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
This is the settings I went with for my dimension. Stolen from threefold but it is good for growing crops however I did it as a Skyblock but you can give it actual land if you want. The main thing was the jungle biome and y level above 124.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Umbreon posted:

I'm playing nomifactory, looks like it doesn't even have those features you mentioned lol. I have several storage cells completely empty so it should have enough room for the fluids.

If you install the AE2 Fluid Crafting Rework mod (https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/ae2-fluid-crafting-rework), Nomifactory includes customized recipes for that mod and it makes fluid crafting and automation much easier. It includes the dual interfaces the other poster mentioned. You just need to add one fluid discretionizer to your AE2 network and build a fluid pattern terminal to encode any patterns that use fluids, then use a dual interface with that pattern on the appropriate machine.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

If you install the AE2 Fluid Crafting Rework mod (https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/ae2-fluid-crafting-rework), Nomifactory includes customized recipes for that mod and it makes fluid crafting and automation much easier. It includes the dual interfaces the other poster mentioned. You just need to add one fluid discretionizer to your AE2 network and build a fluid pattern terminal to encode any patterns that use fluids, then use a dual interface with that pattern on the appropriate machine.

I'll keep that in mind. Believe it or not, I haven't touched autocrafting at all yet, I've been setting up passive automation on everything I need so far And it's worked fine all the way up to EV. I really need to stop putting off auto crafting because it looks complicated, but I'm guessing it probably can't be much more complicated than what I've already been doing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't remember when I really needed auto crafting in Nomifactory. I think around when I needed to do bunches of those larger table recipes and multiple mining missions. I think you will start running into some of that now, but not at a level of demand for auto crafting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH blogpost: We MV now.

When we last left off, I was doing prep for oil. 8 stacks of steel later, or so, I finally got everything I needed.

Manifest:
* 1 slot battery buffer
* 4 slot battery buffer
* electrolyzer
* chemical reactor
* distillery
* pump (not pictured)
* 10 combustion generators (4 for the EBF, 4 for my machine stack, 2 for running the light fuel refinery)

The goal: to run the process described in this flowchart.

chart created with GTNH-Flow

This chart describes the most conservative light fuel process possible, and it outputs enough power to run two EBFs. If that's not enough? I can simply double it by adding a second distillery. Oil is great. Anyways, with those machines in hand, we start building the refinery. First is the oil itself.

This is powered by the 1 slot battery buffer. We may have to come back and swap the battery once before it finishes pumping the entire thing.

Then, bring the oil home and start processing it.

don't forget to leave space for your EBF

The hideous looking barrel thing there is an extremely low tech sorting system. When the chem plant outputs light fuel, it also ejects an empty cell and a hydrogen sulfide cell. We want to decant the hydrogen sulfide and route all empty cells back into the electrolyzer so it can keep making more hydrogen. GT fluid tanks decant cells very well, and we can slap a pump cover onto the tank to draw the H2S off to a holding tank. The electrolyzer also creates waste oxygen, which we'll also bank because oxygen is super useful for lots of stuff.

These fluids get pumped out to tanks on the roof.

With all the pump covers in place, oil coming in, and the refinery's combustion generators primed with quest reward diesel cells, the factory comes to life. Light fuel is created and recirculated back into the refinery so it can power itself. The 4-slot battery buffer provides enough amperage to run everything smoothly in times of high draw. According to the chart, it only draws 31 EU/t, but that's averaged over an infinitely long time period. I plan for all machines being on at once. Using a battery buffer lets me burst out higher amperage in case everything turns on at once.

I wire up four generators and move my machine stack over closer to the light fuel refinery. Prior to this, I had been running a single LV steam turbine to power everything, fed by about 27 EU/t of steam generation. Needless to say, the new setup is a vast improvement. With 4A LV being generated, I can transform it up to 1A MV and run some MV machines occasionally as well. I'll be upgrading those combustion boys to MV pretty soon.

With the power situation thoroughly sorted, all that stands between me and MV is an EBF. This necessitated a few mining trips; first to the Twilight Forest to get nickel, and then to the Nether to get certus quartz. (Breaching the bedrock roof pays dividends here as I was quickly able to locate a quartz vein.) Finally, a mica vein, which I had blundered onto as my very first found vein in this map. Normally, finding mica is a challenge, but I just settled on top of TWO of them. You may be tempted to use alumino-silicate wool for the cupronickel coils. Fight this urge. The recipe for that wool is extremely slow, something like an hour and a half for an alloy smeltery to finish making them all. The mica option is much faster, assuming you found mica.

Despite accidentally voiding 11,000mB of glue when carelessly moving my centrifuge, I get all the parts together relatively quickly, and the EBF is placed down.

Powered by four combustion generators, I expect zero issues with power. Oil required a heroic amount of steel, but it was worth every molecule. Trying to power an EBF with steam is absolute pain. It requires white-knuckling battery buffers and dealing with extremely poor LV pipe flow rates, and propping up a steam power system that is roaring towards obsolescence.

The first aluminium comes in. Brick dust is an excellent source of alumina in LV, and I had a bunch of bricks left over from scavenging the world in Stone Age. Cryolite is required to use alumina, but you get tons of it from veins in the Twilight Forest.

While that's cooking, I work on MV circuits. I was able to find enough small realgar ore in the nether to get the arsenic for AsGa crystals, but if you're having trouble, don't forget that cobaltite exists. Found in the Twilight Forest, cobaltite dust can be processed in the EBF for easy arsenic before the MV electrolyzer. The other materials are no problem; I batched 32 LV circuits as part of the oil buildout so I had a bunch left over. With my first two MV circuits crafted, one might think it's time to make my first MV machine, right?

WRONG.

The first machine I make is the LV circuit assembler. This machine requires MV circuits, and radically decreases the material cost of all circuits. You need it anyways to make HV circuits later, so why not get it as soon as possible? Once I have this created, I craft my first MV machine hull and enter the MV age.

Your goal in MV? Keep this quest on cooldown at all times.

Gallium is a huge pain. Spend your gear coins to get diodes instead.

Next up, building out MV machines. Once I get an MV extruder up, I can finally stop filing down entire ingots for rods and screws and stop paying 3 ingots for a small gear. I look forward to it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is this correct for the diameter of a ore drill? It says

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Any reason why this recipe isn't working? Does the Dire Crafting Table require power or something?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Possible that you need to charge the item on the lower tine?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The recipe showed that it needed the unpowered version, but I'll try it?

edit: That didn't do it. Not a bad suggestion though.

second edit: turns out that if it's activated it drains power in the hotbar so when I tried with what I thought was full charge it was actually at 99,991 RF and that didn't count. In the end it did need a fully charged magnet.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 1, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Is this correct for the diameter of a ore drill? It says

Depends on which one.

The single block miner mines in a simple radius from its location.

The multiblock miner, on the other hand, works by chunks. It draws a square of NxN chunks inside its radius, with the chunk it's in as the center. It mines the center chunk first, then works the chunks left to right, top to bottom.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Depends on which one.

The single block miner mines in a simple radius from its location.

The multiblock miner, on the other hand, works by chunks. It draws a square of NxN chunks inside its radius, with the chunk it's in as the center. It mines the center chunk first, then works the chunks left to right, top to bottom.

So basically, put the multiblock miner in the chunk with the visual prospect scan and I'm good?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

So basically, put the multiblock miner in the chunk with the visual prospect scan and I'm good?

Yep.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there anything that uses Tungsten besides the gears for the miner? I did not follow NEI enough and realized just now after (2 stacks of tungsteel) that going tungsten trioxide dust + carbon for 400 seconds > tungsten bar > tungsten dust mixed with steel dust to get tungsteel dust was a giant waste. I could have been doing Tugnsten trioxide dust + hydrogen for tungsten dust in 5 seconds then mix it for tungsteel dust.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Is there anything that uses Tungsten besides the gears for the miner? I did not follow NEI enough and realized just now after (2 stacks of tungsteel) that going tungsten trioxide dust + carbon for 400 seconds > tungsten bar > tungsten dust mixed with steel dust to get tungsteel dust was a giant waste. I could have been doing Tugnsten trioxide dust + hydrogen for tungsten dust in 5 seconds then mix it for tungsteel dust.

Tungstensteel is the primary IV hull and motor/etc metal. It's also used in HSS-G and HSS-S, two alloys used heavily down the road.

IV hulls and motors/etc also need tungsten cable. You need to be able to come up with both.

It's recommended to store tungsten at rest in trioxide form. Pattern both transforming it into dust and ingot form.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
An enderman stole a dirt block from next to my twilight forest portal, breaking it. Rude.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

American Dad posted:

An enderman stole a dirt block from next to my twilight forest portal, breaking it. Rude.

Hey if you're playing with adventure backpacks, this is a great opportunity! Make a pig backpack, put it on, and remake the portal. When you get struck by lightning it becomes a zombie pigman backpack which grants permanent fire resistance!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of twilight portals, I learned some things. you can in fact build them indoors. still does lightning but doesn't start a fire. they can also be different sizes and shapes.

however, you may have trouble trying to make a new portal too close to an old one. I can't seem to get it to sync the portals up now. if I break and remake them it just spawns whole new portals when I go through one. mildly annoying. half tempted to break them all and reset the twilight forest dimension.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i do my messy early game thaumcraft poo poo in twilight forest because that dimension sucks and deserves to get fluxed

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

zombie pigman backpack
Good advice, I already did this the first time I made that portal... after I decided to move my base 2000 blocks when I hit MV.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The various standard adventure backpacks are good, but I can't give up my copterpack.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Copterpack is just so good and fuel efficient. It had its own special spot in the advent backpack for swapping out for ages.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Let's see if the quest description for this tier comes true for me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rynoto posted:

Copterpack is just so good and fuel efficient. It had its own special spot in the advent backpack for swapping out for ages.

Copterpack is also the only maneuverability option that works with the extremely wonky space station gravity. Back when there was only one Space Suit suitable for surviving Venus's extreme atmospheric pressure, it was key equipment for flight there as well since your entire armor kit was occupied.

Unsolicited tip with the copterpack: combo it with the hang glider for extra speed. Make sure to tap Ctrl once to initiate sprinting while midair as well.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I am building the LSC and trying to figure out what voltage to route out the centralized power to all my machines. An IV hatch is not possible for me to put on this LSC so can I do 4 EV hatches and throw them into a transformer that ups it to IV and use that as my main cable line to branch off of into transformers down volting to their respective energy tier for the machine they are next to? I feel like if my main trunk is using EV energy the loss will be too much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

So I am building the LSC and trying to figure out what voltage to route out the centralized power to all my machines. An IV hatch is not possible for me to put on this LSC so can I do 4 EV hatches and throw them into a transformer that ups it to IV and use that as my main cable line to branch off of into transformers down volting to their respective energy tier for the machine they are next to? I feel like if my main trunk is using EV energy the loss will be too much.

Assuming you're running at least the latest stable, there are multi-amp dynamos at EV now. You can run a 64A EV dynamo off of your LSC and use a high amperage transformer to run the same quantity of power over an IV cable rated for 16A. I don't remember the name of the transformers that do 64 -> 16, look up the uses for a regular 4 -> 1 transformer, find the 16 -> 4, and look at the uses for that.

1 EU/t per amp per block cables are available at all tiers, so we'll assume that both a 64A EV cable and a 16A IV cable both have the same loss rating of 1 EU/t. This reduces the absolute loss per block of cable by 48 EU/t. However, transformers, like any other generator, tax their input -- the EV generators that are EV transformers will consume an extra 8 EU per transformer used (minimum 2.) However, that's peanuts compared to even a short run of cable at that scale.

All that being said, this is absolutely nickel and diming things for little benefit. Line loss is mostly forgettable at this point in the game and even more forgettable going forward. The primary reason to transform trunk cable up and then back down like this is to move more amperage through a given wire than you'd normally be able to due to the amperage carrying limits of most cable (or to save resources by not using superconductors, which tend to have a much higher amperage limit than regular cable.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Aluminum wire is 1 eu loss per block. How long was your cable going to be? You'd need a 200 block long cable to approach 10% loss if it's all EV, which is acceptable loss IMO. If you do the transformer thing then... well, I don't know what the most appropriate wire is at IV, either graphene or platinum, but can get to almost four times that length.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Assuming you're running at least the latest stable, there are multi-amp dynamos at EV now. You can run a 64A EV dynamo off of your LSC and use a high amperage transformer to run the same quantity of power over an IV cable rated for 16A. I don't remember the name of the transformers that do 64 -> 16, look up the uses for a regular 4 -> 1 transformer, find the 16 -> 4, and look at the uses for that.

1 EU/t per amp per block cables are available at all tiers, so we'll assume that both a 64A EV cable and a 16A IV cable both have the same loss rating of 1 EU/t. This reduces the absolute loss per block of cable by 48 EU/t. However, transformers, like any other generator, tax their input -- the EV generators that are EV transformers will consume an extra 8 EU per transformer used (minimum 2.) However, that's peanuts compared to even a short run of cable at that scale.

All that being said, this is absolutely nickel and diming things for little benefit. Line loss is mostly forgettable at this point in the game and even more forgettable going forward. The primary reason to transform trunk cable up and then back down like this is to move more amperage through a given wire than you'd normally be able to due to the amperage carrying limits of most cable (or to save resources by not using superconductors, which tend to have a much higher amperage limit than regular cable.)

I am on 2.3.2. Perfect, I think I understand this and tested it on a test world. I ran a 64A EV dynamo hatch off the LSC directly into an extreme power transformer which then has a 16X Tungsten cable coming off of it that leads into an extreme transformer converting down the IV into 4A of EV. That then has 4x aluminum cable coming out of it into two EV hatches on a EBF.

Edit:

McFrugal posted:

Aluminum wire is 1 eu loss per block. How long was your cable going to be? You'd need a 200 block long cable to approach 10% loss if it's all EV, which is acceptable loss IMO. If you do the transformer thing then... well, I don't know what the most appropriate wire is at IV, either graphene or platinum, but can get to almost four times that length.

Maybe I'm not understanding the wiring completely? The length would be anywhere from 10-80 blocks before it needs to branch off to hit a machine. If I use a 16x aluminum cable off say a 16x EV dynamo hatch is that 16 X 2048 eu running through that cable to the two EV hatches?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've found melodic alloy to be a good IV cable material. not that annoying to make once you have autocrafting running, although i guess it depends on how much of platline you have automated. it's possible by the time you need 100s of blocks of IV cable you have more platinum than you know what to do with (until you start building your first assemblyline!)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Could I run a 32A titanium cable trunk and then branch off with diodes into 16A/8A for aluminium cables? I am basically trying to avoid having to re-do my trunk cable in the near future with the mats I have access to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Could I run a 32A titanium cable trunk and then branch off with diodes into 16A/8A for aluminium cables? I am basically trying to avoid having to re-do my trunk cable in the near future with the mats I have access to.

Yep. You can also peel off branch cables from a higher voltage trunk using transformers.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

You won't have to redo the trunk cable unless you attach more lower voltage machines to it later in higher tiers, but I feel like you wouldn't do that? My reasoning is, you're attaching machines to it now, and the cable is good enough to power all the machines. When you transition to a higher voltage, that doesn't mean you need a new trunk in the area you've built already, because the trunk can provide enough energy to those machines. You'd just deliver power to it via a transformer where your previous power generator was (or leave that power generation in place even) and the higher voltage power generation can split off into another area with new machines in it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

uniball posted:

i do my messy early game thaumcraft poo poo in twilight forest because that dimension sucks and deserves to get fluxed

it's pretty easy to, and often you will eventually want to, delete and regen it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Copterpack is also the only maneuverability option that works with the extremely wonky space station gravity. Back when there was only one Space Suit suitable for surviving Venus's extreme atmospheric pressure, it was key equipment for flight there as well since your entire armor kit was occupied.

Unsolicited tip with the copterpack: combo it with the hang glider for extra speed. Make sure to tap Ctrl once to initiate sprinting while midair as well.

Also worth mentioning that on 2.3+ most flight options copterpack included are bugged such that they benefit from movement speed bonuses. Enjoy covering hundreds of blocks in literal seconds speeding around with copterpack + Nanosuit Boots of the Traveller.