Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The not tattling to your credit score while interest accrues is horseshit

I hate it here

At least it doesn't capitalize after I guess. Really curious if the new SAVE plan will actually come through. That will save me way more than even the 20k forgiveness would have. Really sucks Biden sold out further pauses for the debt ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Wait, they think $32k/yr is middle class? Why do people who think it's possible to live comfortably on $15/hr get to be in charge of this country's financial decisions

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol i'm not going to be able to vote in 2024 because i'm gonna have to get a second job to pay my student loans again and wont be able to stand in line, thanks biden. fuckin dick

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It really makes me hoot and Hollar to read liberals just slobbering biden's knob. "he did all he could do" Lmao

Really makes my day these people are fine with bending over instead of doing something productive about the problem of milquetoast democrats who keep the Overton Window from becoming any sort of progressive society by helping it move to the left, instead they expect you to vote democratic because the other choice is literally fascism, and the first choice is fine with a little fascism as a treat as long as it doesn't destroy Capital. gently caress no.

I'm voting third party. For whatever good it does, at least my conscience will be clean.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

biden is workong harder than ever. every day he wakes up and battles republicans bitterly and viciously for the rights of the American People. and you all trash talk him? hes literally done everything he can. hes used every tool in his arsenal to do what he totally wanted to do for students, and that is cancel a small portion of their debt. and guess what? hes still going to find a way to do it, even though you ungrateful fucks dont desrrve it. that's how hard joe biden works defending the American Working Man and Student, and you spit in his face. you all disgust me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if not for the antics of the squad holding him back, B would've trounced the trumpers and their ilk six ways from sunday by now

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE VCR. ITS MY STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS IDEAS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOE BIDEN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME REPUBLICAN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP LEGAL JUSTIFICATIONS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED AMERICA'S MOST DANGEROUS UPPER HOUSE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY 9-5 JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE WHITE HOUSE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY OFFICE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE VCR. ITS MY STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS IDEAS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOE BIDEN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME REPUBLICAN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP LEGAL JUSTIFICATIONS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED AMERICA'S MOST DANGEROUS UPPER HOUSE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY 9-5 JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE WHITE HOUSE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY OFFICE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Like Biden, I sundown unlike my loan payments.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm voting third party.
*watching 4 years of Trump*

Phew, thank god I voted for Ya Boy Gary. AND donated to Jill Stein. My conscience is clean.

naem
May 29, 2011

90s Solo Cup posted:

Looks like it's time to leave home.
*leaves the U.S., pretends student load debt doesn't exist*

realve my student load

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Turkey Farts posted:

Wait, they think $32k/yr is middle class? Why do people who think it's possible to live comfortably on $15/hr get to be in charge of this country's financial decisions

Lol I had to get room mates at 45K/yr in Baltimore.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Raiad posted:

if i wanted to hear stupid poo poo about how i'm responsible for everything wrong in my life, i'd just vote republican

For the record I don’t think you, or anyone else who took out student loans did anything wrong. I took out a comical amount of student loans back in the day and I know how much worse people have it today. I was hoping people got loans forgiven even though I’ve finished mine.

I just think making GBS threads on Biden for trying to forgive loans using the exact mechanism the entire left wing of the Democratic Party was screaming he had available to him isn’t productive.

Loan forgiveness is gone because republicans have waged a 40 year war on the courts and their voters showed up. It’s possibly going to take the same kind of fight to get it back.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

*watching 4 years of Trump*

Phew, thank god I voted for Ya Boy Gary. AND donated to Jill Stein. My conscience is clean.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What’s comical is voting independent or not voting, or just saying “gently caress it” and voting Republican because as soon as ol’ Donny Trump gets back in, he’s going to do everything he can to make things easier for the little people. As we all know.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It really makes me hoot and Hollar to read liberals just slobbering biden's knob. "he did all he could do" Lmao

Really makes my day these people are fine with bending over instead of doing something productive about the problem of milquetoast democrats who keep the Overton Window from becoming any sort of progressive society by helping it move to the left, instead they expect you to vote democratic because the other choice is literally fascism, and the first choice is fine with a little fascism as a treat as long as it doesn't destroy Capital. gently caress no.

I'm voting third party. For whatever good it does, at least my conscience will be clean.

You're right about the first two paragraphs but that third one is a tragedy lol. We don't have universal ranked choice voting yet, third party voting may well be voting directly for the worst outcomes possible. Stop voting based on consciousness, start voting on practical realities.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
don't blame me, i voted for kodos

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Cspam causes literal brain damage apparently.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MSB3000 posted:

You're right about the first two paragraphs but that third one is a tragedy lol. We don't have universal ranked choice voting yet, third party voting may well be voting directly for the worst outcomes possible. Stop voting based on consciousness, start voting on practical realities.

The practical reality is we make a lot of our current leadership decide a submarine trip to see the titanic is the most important thing on their agenda.

In any case, unless genz has some major grass roots effort, I doubt anything will change and we'll just slowly devolve into outright fascism while some maroons will just shrug and say "well I did everything I can, I voted for the blue guy" as if that somehow mattered.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 3, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The practical reality is that voting is one part of a 10,000 piece puzzle. One where when you try to reach for the pieces a guy with a gun stamps on your hand with his boot.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

kronix posted:

I just think making GBS threads on Biden for trying to forgive loans using the exact mechanism the entire left wing of the Democratic Party was screaming he had available to him isn’t productive.

i'm making GBS threads on biden for signing away the ability to keep indefinitely extending the student loan pause

he probably shouldn'ta done that

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Raiad posted:

i'm making GBS threads on biden for signing away the ability to keep indefinitely extending the student loan pause

he probably shouldn'ta done that

Loans were always starting again, it was already announced Biden “gave” that away so Republicans could wave it around so we could pass the debt ceiling.

How the gently caress would this work anyway? Does this apply to new loans too? What happens when a Republican gets elected? What makes you think courts wont do the same poo poo they just did?

You can’t “one weird trick that student loan lenders HATE” your way to forgiving student loans. That’s not Biden’s fault.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

kronix posted:

You can’t “one weird trick that student loan lenders HATE” your way to forgiving student loans.

not with that attitude

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

kronix posted:

Loans were always starting again, it was already announced Biden “gave” that away so Republicans could wave it around so we could pass the debt ceiling.

How the gently caress would this work anyway? Does this apply to new loans too? What happens when a Republican gets elected? What makes you think courts wont do the same poo poo they just did?

You can’t “one weird trick that student loan lenders HATE” your way to forgiving student loans. That’s not Biden’s fault.

The longer the pause continues the more politically devestating restarting them without relief is....would be the argument. Clearly the republicans don't care about that since they went against many of their constitutents best interests by fighting student loan relief (among everything else too like medicaid expansion under ppaca) so I'm not sure how much that political calculus affects them.

Extending the pause based on covid when the covid emergency has ended would likely be on very legally shakey grounds though for sure.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP, PUT ON A QT QUIRKY OUTFIT AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE VCR. ITS THE DEMOCRATS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, KYRSTEN SINEMA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME LEGISLATION OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP THE THUMBS DOWN MOVE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WENT FROM BEING AN ANARCHIST TO BEING A BLUE DOG. I CAN. I TELL PEOPLE TO VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO EVERYONE I MEET ON THE INTERNET AND IN THE OFFICE ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY OFFICE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wow I am Shocked, Shocked i say to hear someone say they are going to vote third party. Get over yourself and the democrats, and the republicans, and any president for the past ~170 years (including Abraham Lincoln he should’ve won the war way faster).

Maybe as a sign of your moral outrage you should cancel your subscription to the Atlantic and the Sierra club. That’ll really show those people with slightly different beliefs how strongly you feel! But not the New York Times sub what are you a loving savage.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

voting 3rd party in a federal election is dumb, but just how dumb really comes down to what state you live in

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

kronix posted:

republicans have waged a 40 year war on the courts

And where was Joe Biden during that period? Was he aware of these goings-on? Did he just wander into town four years ago saying "Aw shucks, I'm a stranger here, please help me catch up on your political situation."?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

voting 3rd party in a federal election is dumb, but just how dumb really comes down to what state you live in

I assume you mean it's dumb in all 50 states but works great in the state of denial.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i mean that unless you live in a swing state it doesn't actually matter how you vote in federal elections, so if it helps you sleep better to not vote for joe in NY, whatever

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Maybe not vote for senile people no matter what their name is :shrug:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

naem posted:

realve my student load

thread tittle

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I don't think voting is really going to have any impact on the course of American governance in the long term but if you want to vote and it makes you feel good then I think you should do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vote for the libertarian candiatee since if they hit their 5% theshold they will get federal funding to siphon votes from the republicans.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I don't think voting is really going to have any impact on the course of American governance in the long term but if you want to vote and it makes you feel good then I think you should do it.

I've been focusing my efforts on ironic Trump memes and tone policing New York Times headlines myself.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
really the problem is that we're all just deeply sinful and don't have enough faith in the holy process to vote every sunday and donate when the collection email gets passed around

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004
I mean it would be nice if more people participated in the nomination/primaries elections so that the leaders are not chosen by just 10% of the base that bothers to show up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kronix posted:

You actually can but it wouldn’t be :decorum:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Talked to a Boomer today that’s glad for the decision because “if you promise you’ll pay back a loan, you should pay it back.” This person just hates the thought of anyone “getting away with” anything they don’t deserve

All sounds reasonable, to someone who believes in bootstraps and a just world, etc. but it’s a worldview that’s so far outside the current facts and state of the world I was just stunned

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
"But you're young, you can take it" is a very common phrase I hear from Boomers. They aren't telling you that, BTW, they are telling it to themselves to justify stifling the guilt they might be feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Talked to a Boomer today that’s glad for the decision because “if you promise you’ll pay back a loan, you should pay it back.” This person just hates the thought of anyone “getting away with” anything they don’t deserve

All sounds reasonable, to someone who believes in bootstraps and a just world, etc. but it’s a worldview that’s so far outside the current facts and state of the world I was just stunned

Check the PPP loans for them/their company