Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Revised sucks, 2007 ver GOAT

That’s the vibes I was getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But, but the little cardboard beds for the sick meeples in revised Farmers…

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
help me out gooners, I’m moving to (west) LA and need a new local board game shop that isn’t full of gross nerds

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

help me out gooners, I’m moving to (west) LA and need a new local board game shop that isn’t full of gross nerds

Impossible, there are always gross nerds where ever you are.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Aramoro posted:

Impossible, there are always gross nerds where ever you are.

You can literally take our word for it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So I have a 3-year-old daughter, and my wife and I just played our first actual board games with her.

We played Patchwork Express, where we had to do a lot of handholding and tell her exactly what to do, but she really enjoyed building the quilt.

Then we played Pass the Party Food, which may as well be tailored specifically for teaching toddlers to play board games, because it combines parties, sweets, sharing and puppies in an extremely easy to understand package that she was instantly able to interact with and enjoy.

Now I'm on the hunt for toddler-specific board games. We have Animal upon Animal and Rhino Hero but she may not be quite there with her physical dexterity. Have any goons had wild successes with any particular games for the pre-school set?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

So I have a 3-year-old daughter, and my wife and I just played our first actual board games with her.

We played Patchwork Express, where we had to do a lot of handholding and tell her exactly what to do, but she really enjoyed building the quilt.

Then we played Pass the Party Food, which may as well be tailored specifically for teaching toddlers to play board games, because it combines parties, sweets, sharing and puppies in an extremely easy to understand package that she was instantly able to interact with and enjoy.

Now I'm on the hunt for toddler-specific board games. We have Animal upon Animal and Rhino Hero but she may not be quite there with her physical dexterity. Have any goons had wild successes with any particular games for the pre-school set?

Go Away Monster.

Also, my 2 yo will happily spend an hour playing with the components to Formula D. Any old Kickstarter disappointments you happen to own will potentially have similar success. My 7 and 5 yos will still happily spend 30 min playing Agricola and 2 hours playing farm story time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Seconding go away monster

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When my daughter was that age we played a version of Carcassonne where there were no scoring or meeples and all you did was take turns to place tiles legally. Can do a similar thing with Kingdomino.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When my daughter was that age we played a version of Carcassonne where there were no scoring or meeples and all you did was take turns to place tiles legally. Can do a similar thing with Kingdomino.

My toxic trait is that I would still find a way to try to min/max this

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pvt. Parts posted:

My toxic trait is that I would still find a way to try to min/max this

By making all the cities look like love hearts for a child's amusement like any good parent.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PerniciousKnid posted:

Go Away Monster.

Also, my 2 yo will happily spend an hour playing with the components to Formula D. Any old Kickstarter disappointments you happen to own will potentially have similar success. My 7 and 5 yos will still happily spend 30 min playing Agricola and 2 hours playing farm story time.

silvergoose posted:

Seconding go away monster

I'd love to introduce it but "go away" is a banned phrase in our house. Big chromey Kickstarters are a good idea though, we have an Everdell big box we haven't had a chance to get to the table yet that's full of cute animeeples

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

I'd love to introduce it but "go away" is a banned phrase in our house.

Is the kid old enough to understand rules like "it's only OK to say go away to monsters, because they're monsters"?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jedit posted:

Is the kid old enough to understand rules like "it's only OK to say go away to monsters, because they're monsters"?

I think she needs a little bit of time for that, personally. Definitely a good one for when she's a little older though.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

bobvonunheil posted:

I'd love to introduce it but "go away" is a banned phrase in our house.

BGG has a variant (of course) that may help you?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/602655/my-daughter-loves-monsters-excellent-variant-next

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone played Iron Curtain? Thoughts? I don't really need another quick 2-player game to my collection, but...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
An interesting video game out a few days ago: Horror Boardgames | The Anatomy of Terror's Least Likely Home It's from Spice8Rack who is mostly a Magic: the Gathering content creator rather than a board game one, by way of Youtube essayist which is why it's two hours long. Also, you can scope out dat Spicey board game collection.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only time I’ve felt true terror playing a board game was playing Jack in Letters from Whitechapel, and the cops are about to take a vote over whether or not to arrest on the space I’m in.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

An interesting video game out a few days ago: Horror Boardgames | The Anatomy of Terror's Least Likely Home It's from Spice8Rack who is mostly a Magic: the Gathering content creator rather than a board game one, by way of Youtube essayist which is why it's two hours long. Also, you can scope out dat Spicey board game collection.

Oh yeah, I watched that, too! I thought the creator made some good points. Its definition of what makes a good horror game was maybe a little too restrictive, and that game it claimed was the best of the best, The Night Cage, looked maybe a little too brutal for my tastes, but I do agree that the domain of horror games could use some more love.

But then, I'm not a horror person. The only horror game I own is that old game Ghost Stories, and that's more of a wuxia film with spooky elements rather than an actual horror game. :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Night Cage, well-known sequel to Night Trap

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

I'd love to introduce it but "go away" is a banned phrase in our house. Big chromey Kickstarters are a good idea though, we have an Everdell big box we haven't had a chance to get to the table yet that's full of cute animeeples

Assuming she can't read the rules herself, you can just tweak the wording.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PerniciousKnid posted:

Assuming she can't read the rules herself, you can just tweak the wording.

the power of christ compels you monster

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SettingSun posted:

The only time I’ve felt true terror playing a board game was playing Jack in Letters from Whitechapel, and the cops are about to take a vote over whether or not to arrest on the space I’m in.

Playing Spyfall! as the spy, where no one is using personas. I guess, less terror and more anxious dread.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't sat down to play a board game in quite a long time, but my Castles of Burgundy Special Edition arrived today and I'm incredibly excited. The box doesn't fit on my shelf. Thanks for reading.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not West LA (lol I'm so sorry) but in Pasadena there's Odyssey Games (formerly Game Empire) and Gameology.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Had a boardgame birthday weekend recently and determined the following things:

You cannot ask for better party games for heavy gamer nerds than Guards of Atlantis II and Stationfall. We did GOAII all night Friday night and Stationfall all day (and night) Saturday, with GOAII hosting 6 players and Stationfall being groups of 6-8 and both were incredible. GOAII is so precise and team-oriented and solely about skill as opposed to luck, whereas Stationfall was the perfect counterweight as absolute every-person-for-themselves chaos. Stationfall also wound up with some pretty great immersive storytelling, particularly in the second game where victory fell to our Telepathic Rat because it wound up sitting on a throne of corpses that a Tentacled Monstrosity had created for it when the station re-entered orbit alongside our Schroedinger-revealed Daredevil who had managed to drag a Maintenance Clone into the only escape pod which hadn't been fired off empty of cargo by the Station Chief who had lost their mind. (Two players with the highest scores win in 6-8 player games, for further great justice/chaos).

We also finally got Woodcraft to the table Sunday and while it feels very much like a Frankenstein of some of Suchy's other works (Pulsar and Praga, particularly), I love his work so much it hardly bothered me.

Unconditional recommendation for GOA II and Stationfall. Strong rec for Suchy fans on Woodcraft.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm thinking of trying to find a board game convention in Texas to go to this year. Is BGG's con in Dallas still happening? It seems like a lot of the Texas cons died recently and while this site claims to be selling tickets, details are sparse enough to make me want to double check. Especially since Google sent me to a couple of dead sites first.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

LLSix posted:

I'm thinking of trying to find a board game convention in Texas to go to this year. Is BGG's con in Dallas still happening? It seems like a lot of the Texas cons died recently and while this site claims to be selling tickets, details are sparse enough to make me want to double check. Especially since Google sent me to a couple of dead sites first.

I don't know personally, but based on some searching, it looks like it's happening? https://tabletop.events/conventions/bgg.con-2023

I found that by looking around BGG's forums and saw they referenced the site tabletop.events and then searching there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Memnaelar posted:

Had a boardgame birthday weekend recently and determined the following things:

You cannot ask for better party games for heavy gamer nerds than Guards of Atlantis II and Stationfall. We did GOAII all night Friday night and Stationfall all day (and night) Saturday, with GOAII hosting 6 players and Stationfall being groups of 6-8 and both were incredible. GOAII is so precise and team-oriented and solely about skill as opposed to luck, whereas Stationfall was the perfect counterweight as absolute every-person-for-themselves chaos. Stationfall also wound up with some pretty great immersive storytelling, particularly in the second game where victory fell to our Telepathic Rat because it wound up sitting on a throne of corpses that a Tentacled Monstrosity had created for it when the station re-entered orbit alongside our Schroedinger-revealed Daredevil who had managed to drag a Maintenance Clone into the only escape pod which hadn't been fired off empty of cargo by the Station Chief who had lost their mind. (Two players with the highest scores win in 6-8 player games, for further great justice/chaos).

We also finally got Woodcraft to the table Sunday and while it feels very much like a Frankenstein of some of Suchy's other works (Pulsar and Praga, particularly), I love his work so much it hardly bothered me.

Unconditional recommendation for GOA II and Stationfall. Strong rec for Suchy fans on Woodcraft.

I had never heard of Guards of Atlantis II but now I'm pretty interested. Seems hard to find though, no results at my usual shop sources.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I had never heard of Guards of Atlantis II but now I'm pretty interested. Seems hard to find though, no results at my usual shop sources.

My game night host has a copy and can confirm it’s a really great game — it’s been our goto whenever we have 4 for a month now.

If you can’t find a physical copy, there’s a full version on Tabletopia (but premium): https://tabletopia.com/games/guards-of-atlantis-ii/play-now

I haven’t played the online version but the game’s owner has and says it’s both good and has a pretty active discord community to find games.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Eyes Have It posted:

You can late pledge for it here or pay a lot aftermarket, your choice: https://gamefound.com/projects/wolffdesigna/guardsofatlantis2new

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There aren't a whole ton of (non-card) games that do something in the "team play" space, I totally missed this one the first time around.

Speaking of clever team-based games one day I'm trying Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars. Someday!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm SO jealous that you can get a group together for Guards of Atlantis, that all want to play it.

I found it impossible to find enough people committed to playing it, but, worse they'd actually bounce off it and hate it. You NEED a core group of 4,ideally 6, willing to play it like ten times. It's one of the best games I've ever played, but I'd never recommend anyone buy it because it just seems so unlikely to me that you'd ever get it going.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
poo poo, does the Awful App no longer have native image hosting? I am trying to post a thread in SA Mart to clear out some games and now that imgur isn’t reliable I don’t even know what service to use for hosting.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I use postimages.org

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Yes, BGG con is still happening and tabletop.events is how you buy tickets.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Clearing out some games- Inhuman Conditions and Final Girl.

Available for local pickup in the Somerville/Cambridge area.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thoughts on Iki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
More like Icky (It's a perfectly fine euro that I'm surprised SUSD are gushing for, from my 1 play of it)