Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I finally made it to the 3rd part of the final Azure boss fight.After taking off about 40% of its HP, it cast Argent Ark when I had no protection up which wiped me out.

If any one else is stuck here, this latest round of attempts gave me a few ideas that should be emphasized even if they have already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

First, be very careful not to kill all four of the balloon monsters accompanying this boss. Kill three and keep the last one alive at all cost. You may want turn off S-Breaks that attack everything on the screen and switch to ones that cover a smaller area. (Stuff like Zero Field would be excluded from this, obviously.)

Second, equip items that block burn, seal, and mute. Don't bother with anything that blocks death blows, I've never been hit by one in dozens of attempts on this fight. If you have one or more grail lockets, use them in one slot and use the other for anything that increases arts strength.

Third, If I were starting over, I'd save every burst orb I had for this fight. Unfortunately I'm stuck with just three. Any save slot with more is way too far back so those three will have to do.

Fourth, the spread your team out so the boss uses almost every move canceling arts strategy is kind of cheesy, but I think it will eventually work.

Question: Does A-Reflex work on this boss? It would be enormously satisfying if the boss tried its Argent Ark attack again if even one member of my team had A-Reflex in place.

hepcat fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 2 hours!)

hepcat posted:

Question: Does A-Reflex work on this boss? It would be enormously satisfying if the boss tried its Argent Ark attack again if even one member of my team had A-Reflex in place.

Yes. I used the master arte that casts reflect magic on everyone when its coming, managed to shave off a good 1/4 of its total hp, though seems to only work once, after that, the hp point seems to be where it just strips it away and does his regular physical aoe special

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Umineko, an over 80 hour VN where no one ever shut ups, was fully voiced for its ps3 port, and the studio responsible had 24 employees total so that's no excuse

Falcom just made a poor choice with casting a super expensive VA for Rean, the character with the most lines
umineko has some of the biggest VAs in japan in it lmao

umineko also has way less dialog than cold steel when you put the games together. there are two umineko games, each has about 900k english words. trails of cold steel 3 alone has 1.1 million. putting the four cold steel games together is probably 2.5x the amount of text as umineko. not to mention a large chunk of umineko's text is unvoiced prose, while cold steel's text is entirely dialog.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
a Korean studio composed of 30-ish people (10-ish which work in the Official Merch Cafe under their actual offices) managed to get their card RPG sequel to their crowdfunded monster management sim mostly fully voiced, and their current gacha strategy RPG is also close to fully voiced.

(tbf tho Korean VA stuff seems a lot smaller than Japanese ones, both of those games were dolled out in installments, and for the former the voice acting often dropped a few weeks after the actual gameplay did when it was coming out. but hey, I'm never going to miss a chance to plug Project Moon, Lobotomy Corporation, Library of Ruina or Limbus Company.

this is all facetious by the way.)

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Endorph posted:

umineko also has way less dialog than cold steel when you put the games together.

That is a good thing. Storytellers need to relearn the art of brevity. Stop wasting the audience's time with fluff. If Falcom were to commit to fully voice acting their games, the budgetary expense would force the scriptwriters to excise the fat.

We are used to the XSEED localizations which cover for Falcom's writing. Much of the scripts is characters restating information the characters already know. In CS1 you have 3 or 4 different conversation scenes that amount to restating that Saint Sandlot was the leader of the Eisenritter. The English localizers tried to cover for this by making the conversations about something else, but they are still dead air scenes where the audience is not learning anything new and the plot is not advancing.

Many visual novels such as World End Economica or gacha games like FGO are unbearable because of the sheer amount of fluff that just wastes your time. I prefer to only play fully voice acted visual novels like Utawarerumono or gacha games like Granblue Fantasy. Again, the voice acting forces the scriptwriters to cut down to what they really wanted to tell, and the end product is so much more enjoyable for it. Same reason why WoW's short but fully voice acted questlines are so much more enjoyable than slogging through FFXIV's 400 hour long visual novel padded to the moon and back.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Reverie: Zero and Azure already convinced me Zeit was a Good Boi. But his English voice just sounds like the platonic ideal of a grandfather and it makes ME want to cuddle up to him and use him as a pillow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Same reason why WoW's short but fully voice acted questlines are so much more enjoyable than slogging through FFXIV's 400 hour long visual novel padded to the moon and back.
im like 90% sure ff14 has more VAing than WoW

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

hepcat posted:

I finally made it to the 3rd part of the final Azure boss fight. After taking off about 40% of its HP, it cast Argent Ark when I had no protection up which wiped me out.

If any one else is stuck here, this latest round of attempts gave me a few ideas that should be emphasized even if they have already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

First, be very careful not to kill all four of the balloon monsters accompanying this boss. Kill three and keep the last one alive at all cost. You may want turn off S-Breaks that attack everything on the screen and switch to ones that cover a smaller area. (Stuff like Zero Field would be excluded from this, obviously.)

Second, equip items that block burn, seal, and mute. Don't bother with anything that blocks death blows, I've never been hit by one in dozens of attempts on this fight. If you have one or more grail lockets, use them in one slot and use the other for anything that increases arts strength.

Third, If I were starting over, I'd save every burst orb I had for this fight. Unfortunately I'm stuck with just three. Any save slot with more is way too far back so those three will have to do.

Fourth, the spread your team out so the boss uses almost every move canceling arts strategy is kind of cheesy, but I think it will eventually work.

The spoiler tag should have started after the end of your first sentence, as otherwise it's not clear what game you're spoiling without reading the spoiler tag.

3) If you have a save before the point of no return, you can get more Burst Orbs. On various highways, the turtle and plant Cryptids can be found appearing at random in specific spots. (If you're going for a complete combat notebook, they need to be killed for that.) They drop Burst Orbs when they're killed.

A-Reflex might work, if the boss doesn't do its All-Cancel move and strips it away.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is everyone playing on higher difficulties because all I remember for that fight was spamming my best Arts lol

Worst one was for me was Campanella teleporting you all over he place.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i did, and mistiming a team shield from Tio was an automatic team wipe on various bosses during the last 3rd of the game

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The spoiler tag should have started after the end of your first sentence, as otherwise it's not clear what game you're spoiling without reading the spoiler tag.

After reading it again, you're right. Sorry about that.

I'm playing on Hard. Big mistake for a first time play of Azure.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Falcom with the same team, is the kind of studios we need more to exist. Just concentrate on one thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Reverie Final Chapter: Are the items that increase stats by 1 or 5 points worth using? They seem like such miniscule amounts.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Azure finale again: I used burst too early and couldn't finish the fucker off. It then used "Interdimensional Collapse" on me with about 10% HP left. Whatever, I've almost got it. Resisting against burn, seal, and mute makes it so much more manageable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not gonna lie I'd have fun if Falcom kept playing around with magical girl/tokusatsu AUs of their main franchises for fun minigames. It's a parody and silly, yeah, but I enjoyed the Magical Alisa minigame's plot.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
4 years after bouncing off these because I didn't care for Trails in the Sky FC, I'm finally giving SC a shot. The first game was 99% script, 1% gameplay and the gameplay was exceedingly boring which added insult to injury. I like this one a bit more right off the bat because it gets moving quickly in terms of the story. Go find Joshua, ok cool, a real purpose other than "lol become bracer". The gameplay so far is mostly the same, though the orbment thingie seems to have a bit more flexibility and nuance. The enemy difficult at the beginning is a bit silly but I suspect it won't matter as soon as I get more quartz.

Anyways going better this time around, FC is a really rough intro and something I hope they remaster one day.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

FC is slow going in the beginning, but imo it's worth it for the whiplash of that twist and ending

Hopefully jumping to SC works out because a big part of it is about Estelle and Joshua, and all of FC was about getting you to care about them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Same reason why WoW's short but fully voice acted questlines are so much more enjoyable than slogging through FFXIV's 400 hour long visual novel padded to the moon and back.

I can understand someone not getting into FF14 (it's a pretty boring game to play if you aren't into its story), but outright preferring WoW quest writing is an incomprehensible opinion to me. Like yeah, it's shorter, but it's also terrible. I don't think I've ever seen someone prefer WoW over FF14 on the basis of its quests/writing (until now, I guess).

(Also I'm pretty sure FF14 has significantly more voiced story content; WoW usually doles out it's quest dialogue via text boxes)

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

I can understand someone not getting into FF14 (it's a pretty boring game to play if you aren't into its story), but outright preferring WoW quest writing is an incomprehensible opinion to me. Like yeah, it's shorter, but it's also terrible. I don't think I've ever seen someone prefer WoW over FF14 on the basis of its quests/writing (until now, I guess).

To me, a video game is about gameplay. If I wanted to read a book or watch an anime, I would be doing that, not playing a game. WoW's story is mostly told during gameplay. Character dialogue is happening while you are fighting the boss or running through a scripted scenario. When a character like Warbrave Oro dies, it doesn't happen in a cutscene where you have no control. He dies right in front of you in gameplay. When a city was being burned, it didn't happen in a cutscene. You were running around dousing fires and trying to rescue as many people as you could during gameplay. I am not ideologically against standing around and letting control be taken away from me to watch cutscenes, but in FFXIV it is beyond excessive, and the actual gameplay isn't engaging compared to WoW, nor does FFXIV have fun scripted missions or battles like WoW.

Trails could stand to tell more of the story in gameplay as well. The battles in the series are very stagnate. You just fight mobs on a flat battlefield. The only slightly different scenarios were in Sky where you had weak guest NPCs to protect, and an early fight in Zero where you had to protect a bus from being destroyed by Yetis. This series has been going on for 10+ games and there is practically zero innovation. I hope maybe they can borrow more from Valkyria Chronicles/Sakura Wars and start varying up the battles, ie having a team of characters split off to hop onto a submarine-battleship and toss grenades down chutes, or intercepting a car that is kidnapping a VIP, fighting on top of an airship and having to protect different critical components, avalanches happening during battle that you have to position your characters to avoid, etc. Does Kuro offer any innovation on battle scenarios/fight design? Or is it still just beat up the mob but with action combat?

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 4, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think I'm struggling a little here to understand the perspective - you're expecting a two-decade running series to fundamentally change its storytelling method because you liked the time a pre-scripted death happened in a diffrent RPG series such that the death happened mid-battle rather than in a cutscene?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Gunslinger posted:

4 years after bouncing off these because I didn't care for Trails in the Sky FC, I'm finally giving SC a shot. The first game was 99% script, 1% gameplay and the gameplay was exceedingly boring which added insult to injury. I like this one a bit more right off the bat because it gets moving quickly in terms of the story. Go find Joshua, ok cool, a real purpose other than "lol become bracer". The gameplay so far is mostly the same, though the orbment thingie seems to have a bit more flexibility and nuance. The enemy difficult at the beginning is a bit silly but I suspect it won't matter as soon as I get more quartz.

Anyways going better this time around, FC is a really rough intro and something I hope they remaster one day.

Yeah this was basically my experience with Sky. I bounced off FC repeatedly as it's just outrageously slow and boring if you don't care for its vibes but got into SC very easily when I tried it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Tesseraction posted:

I think I'm struggling a little here to understand the perspective - you're expecting a two-decade running series to fundamentally change its storytelling method because you liked the time a pre-scripted death happened in a diffrent RPG series such that the death happened mid-battle rather than in a cutscene?

Reminder that the poster you're replying to has complained about Trails in practically every post they've made, they've constantly stated they want what amounts to grimdark Trails, and one of their earliest posts in this thread included "you should play FF14 instead".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I bounced off Sky once before the first two CS games were translated and also bounced off it after playing and loving both of those, and only managed to get through to the second half after The Third was about to be released. (And I also enjoyed SC much more.) It's got a weak start. Maybe I'll appreciate it more if I ever do a replay.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They don't tell you this but Cold Steel is just better than Sky.

Except TC which is the greatest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Except TC which is the greatest.

Factually and objectively incorrect

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Storywise, Sky is better, but in gameplay and feel Cold Steel is easily better. Sky is clunky in ways even Crossbell on the same engine just isn't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Factually and objectively incorrect

Wow a TC hater. smh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

no portraits

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FC is magical and we need to go back to the Falcom Pilgrimage framing device sometime, hopefully to explore North Ambria, Ored, Remeferia, Jurai, and Leman since they arent getting an arc to themselves.
SC is still a trails game and the main plot between Estelle and Joshua is amazing, but basically the entire rest of the game consists of generic text with a priority list to decide which optional character you bring to that event says the 2 or 3 lines, so everyone but the two of them stagnates awfully barring maybe 1 event where they get focus, like Agate in Chapter 5, not everyone gets one of those.
TC is a magical and overt apology for doing everyone in Team Liberl dirty like that, except Zin, Zin doesnt get an event, Kilika does.

Also yeah..... Sky just sucks to play so fatigue builds up fast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The 2D sprites look so much better than the 3D models and the 2D portraits are so much more emotive.

Also, Cold Steel nerfed the Crossbell and Liberl teams and it really sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

no portraits

Not really one of the reasons i'd say Cold Steel is better but guess I can see it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

2.5D is gorgeous and time and budget had no effect on it, the more effort put into it, the more gorgeous it got, and boy was it gorgeous. I want Cold Steel remasters in it's style.

Objectively though, the 3D has more mass appeal, and while sadly budget and time now effect it, Falcom has put no less effort in creating easily some of my favorite 3D graphics across soon to be 5 games. I want Sky and Crossbell Remasters in this style.

Basically I love both so much I just want them to be options for all arcs lol.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hajimari gameplay was really satisfying to me, very much looking forward to playing Reverie, just a little longer

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
reverie was a lot of fun for me. very excited to play it again

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Zero) I’m only in the tutorial dungeon, but lol at this kid like, immediately going “ACAB” after finding out we’re police and not Bracers. And now the news is saying we ain’t poo poo either, amazing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The SSS was in part created to be a community outreach arm of the police to try and improve the force's reputation. The police force in Crossbell has a reputation for being ineffectual - not for being a bunch of malicious racist thugs like in our actual world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given the corruption in Crossbell, and the seeming lack of action from the CPD, it's easy to see why the general public see them as lazy bastards earning money for nothing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The SSS was in part created to be a community outreach arm of the police to try and improve the force's reputation. The police force in Crossbell has a reputation for being ineffectual - not for being a bunch of malicious racist thugs like in our actual world.

I was being slightly facetious because I don’t think that CPD is meant to be directly analogous to real life (even if Crossbell seems kinda like New York wrt being a cultural melting pot) but it is funny how much of a stark contrast from Sky and even Cold Steel your party’s perception is; in Sky bracers pretty much are the law since Liberl is so rural, and even in Cold Steel not nearly as many people care about the nobles/commoners being in the same class.

Also it’s kind of funny being spoiled on this game ahead of time, seeing Rixia doing the most mundane thing possible while knowing she’s the ninja girl with a fuckoff giant anime sword in the epilogue of CS2 is cute. I also know that Randy used to be a jaeger, but if anything that makes me more interested to see the backstory dump. Crossbell’s already starting to feel like Kamorocho and I’m still in the prologue I think.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Rixia doing the most mundane thing possible while knowing she’s the ninja girl with a fuckoff giant anime sword in the epilogue of CS2 is cute.
That bit gets revealed at the end of Chapter 2, so for most of the game you're supposed to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1676648147513122820?s=20