Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

No.

That sounds like a WWII version of Putin playing 5D chess

But Wikipedia says, citing Reid, Anna (2011). Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege:

quote:

According to a directive sent to Army Group North on 29 September:

“After the defeat of Soviet Russia there can be no interest in the continued existence of this large urban center. [...] Following the city's encirclement, requests for surrender negotiations shall be denied, since the problem of relocating and feeding the population cannot and should not be solved by us. In this war for our very existence, we can have no interest in maintaining even a part of this very large urban population.[19].”

The Nazis wanted Leningrad’s population to starve to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sucrose posted:

But Wikipedia says, citing Reid, Anna (2011). Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege:

The Nazis wanted Leningrad’s population to starve to death.

I'm pretty sure the Germans also tried to solve the 'problem' of Leningrad by telling the Finns they could have it and the Finns refused.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Short thread on dissolution of Prigozhin's business empire

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I suppose Musk must be glad that he has Prigozhin to point to as an example of a person who managed to lead a business worse then he does.

And Prigozhin (if he's still alive) has Stockton Rush to point to, in turn.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Samovar posted:

And Prigozhin (if he's still alive)

Prigozhin is alive, online and feelin' fine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
last shot of movie is prig running a hot dog stand on the street

audience: "BOOOOOOOOOOO"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Prigozhin is alive in Mali wearing a poo poo hairpiece and big sunglasses, at least for now.

Not because hotdog man is some super elusive genius, but because it would be further evidence that Putin is losing power and resources and he can't get his goons to window toss him as fast as he might have been able to, say 5 years ago

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They put pissgoblin in one of those prank helicopters with the break away floors and it tragically activated over the sea while he was wearing a russian military life jacket (filled with wood fibre and lead rather than buoyancy foam)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Alan Smithee posted:

you know what this means? It means Sonic is real!

"As the Sonic series is a garish work of propaganda supporting a hybrid of Futurism and Nazi Romantic Pastoralism, Eggman is a fascist caricature of the Judeo-Bolshevik menance and its materialist conception of reality
Sonic craves speed and death, the Sonderweg of Sega opposing Mario and Nintendo"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
confirmation that those aircrafts downed near Bryansk in May were hit by Patriot and not by friendly fire?

it seems Delimkhanov is alive after all

zone
Dec 6, 2016

If indeed it was a Patriot launcher that knocked the planes and helos down, let's hope they can repeat it again somewhere near the border sometime soon. The less aircraft POCCNR has to work with, the merrier.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Please let this mean that western grifters suddenly lose a lot of funding

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Anders posted:

Unlikely. A lot of them do it for free and at best the activity will go underground for a while, before it gets slowly ramped up again. Troll farms are too useful to ever permanently be stopped.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anders posted:

Unfortunately foreign funding has been done though financial streams unrelated to Prigozhin (usually something in the RT system)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You should see less online spam and bots pushing Kremlin narratives though (for a time until it's set up with another oligarch) because prigozhin ran the troll farms

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

You should see less online spam and bots pushing Kremlin narratives though (for a time until it's set up with another oligarch) because prigozhin ran the troll farms

Haven't seen much change even after Muskmelon hosed up twitter. Still see at least four or five pro-Russian dirtbag scum on pretty much every thread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

fatherboxx posted:

Unfortunately foreign funding has been done though financial streams unrelated to Prigozhin (usually something in the RT system)

Bummer.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

Haven't seen much change even after Muskmelon hosed up twitter. Still see at least four or five pro-Russian dirtbag scum on pretty much every thread.

Unfortunately not all, or even most, of those are bots. There are a phenomenal amount of tankies and shills out there, hell you don't even have to leave this site to find a whole load of them and not a bot to be found

The trick to bot farms isn't pushing or creating whole narratives out of nothing. It's solely to amplify what's already there and existing by regular old smoothbrains

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

war can't possibly keep going if russia loses donetsk city.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Someone should remind that guy that the Spartans eventually lost because they got outflanked, which is precisely what the Ukrainians are doing their best to accomplish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HonorableTB posted:

Unfortunately not all, or even most, of those are bots. There are a phenomenal amount of tankies and shills out there, hell you don't even have to leave this site to find a whole load of them and not a bot to be found

The trick to bot farms isn't pushing or creating whole narratives out of nothing. It's solely to amplify what's already there and existing by regular old smoothbrains

Some good should still come of this, I'd have thought; Removing the source denies the tankies their united talking points to present a consistent narrative.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some good should still come of this, I'd have thought; Removing the source denies the tankies their united talking points to present a consistent narrative.

The damage is done already. The narrative doesn't have to be consistent, all it has to be is some version of "AMERIKKKA BAD AND UKRANIE CORRUPT :d2a:" and the people who want to believe it will still continue to believe it.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

I still can't get over the fact that it's run by two guys named Indiana and Spartacus and those are their real names.

I always wonder if they're snazzy dressers outside the show too and if so, did they meet because of that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HonorableTB posted:

Surely Donetsk would have the most formidible defences and that would be extremely difficult to try anything there?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Surely Donetsk would have the most formidible defences and that would be extremely difficult to try anything there?

Maybe the garrison there got weakened by transferring reinforcements elsewhere, because they felt safe in doing so. At least that's what seems to be why this could be possible. You can only rob Peter to pay Paul so many times until you can't do it any more.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Donetsk has been right at the frontline even before the 2022 full-scale invasion. As for closing fast:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh I'm sure they're getting their severance :commissar:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

beer_war posted:

Donetsk has been right at the frontline even before the 2022 full-scale invasion. As for closing fast:

*that we know about due to opsec

Consider the news we get is at the minimum multiple days, if not a week or more, behind. And comes almost entirely from Russian sources because Ukrainians are zip quiet. When the opsec curtain falls poo poo is gonna be wonderful lol. Not to say Donetsk will be liberated within a week or two, but that they are progressing in the Donetsk City direction at all, period, after 8+ years of war towards one of the capitals of the so-called separatist republics is uh, that's a lot. And it shouldn't be ignored

Sarah Ashton-Cirillo is also a known good source, an international volunteer working as a war correspondent in the east.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Ashton-Cirillo

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 3, 2023

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

How much are you willing to bet that russia is indiscriminately using artillery on the trenches, regardless of any mobiks still alive in them?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Icept posted:

How much are you willing to bet that russia is indiscriminately using artillery on the trenches, regardless of any mobiks still alive in them?

that would be one of the safest bets ever made imo

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Icept posted:

Russian army doesn't really even use forward observers to direct their artillery fire, so this is given.

Its also the reason why Russian artillery can shoot some insane numbers of shells per day like 20 000, and do only minimal to medium damage to their enemy because they fire rolling barrages to the general direction of the enemy positions.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Icept posted:

Wouldn't even have to take the bet, because that's what they always do. More often than not, the intercepted calls majorly have complaints about multiple instances of friendly fire.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol i think warhammer imperial guardsmen are better treated than mobiks are

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

lol i think warhammer imperial guardsmen are better treated than mobiks are

The average Imperial Guardsman boasts better equipment than any battalion of mobiks, lmao. A lasgun alone would probably be priceless to the American military industrial complex, leave alone the ragged remnants of Russia's.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1675805906058002432

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, "almost all" of 16 lol.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Footage of the destroyed tanks is just off screen. Trust me

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3730775-ukrainian-marines-shoot-down-russian-ka52-helicopter-in-berdiansk-sector.html
36th Marine infantry brigade reports they shot down a Ka-52 near Berdiansk with a Javelin.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

zone posted:

Maybe the garrison there got weakened by transferring reinforcements elsewhere, because they felt safe in doing so. At least that's what seems to be why this could be possible. You can only rob Peter to pay Paul so many times until you can't do it any more.

Trying to make some pun out of the Peter and Paul fortress, but I've got.nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.