Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mederlock posted:

On the topic of dealing with psychotic drivers on the road, what are some of the best mitigations? As goofy as mirrors look, are they worthwhile? Ride in the center of the lane, or off to the side? Avoid altogether? My wife and I are new to road cycling and I'm still relearning everything from when I was a kid about how to navigate the city streets

Route choice. In my area, there are urban streets I can use with reasonably safe bike infrastructure. There are rural roads, with shoulders or even with almost no bike infrastructure, that I can feel safe on because there's little car traffic and those who are there have an easy time passing me. For me, the suburban transition zones are the scariest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Both of those posts are very correct and I will add that a Varia radar is a great option if you have a compatible computer or mounted phone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

davebo posted:

So did you just walk home holding the hitch for the trailer?

No I got my wife to pick us up in the car. I did sad sack walk it that way to the parking lot tho

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Can I ask a basic a question about tubes and tyres? It's always confused and intimidated me.

I have a gravel bike, and the tyres say 650 x 47 B.

I needed a new tube and a guy at the shop I got the bike from gave me a pack that says " 29" 28" 27.5", after they'd finished servicing the bike. There also seems to be some mention of "650B" mixed in with a bunch of numbers at the bottom

So I went home and whacked that tube in, but it seems longer (circumference) and narrower than the tube that was in there before. I got in on the wheel, and it seemed a bit bunched up. But I got the tyre back on and pumped it up, and it seems ok.. did it straighten itself out? Is it ok in there? I'd ask the shop but they're currently closed.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Can I ask a basic a question about tubes and tyres? It's always confused and intimidated me.

I have a gravel bike, and the tyres say 650 x 47 B.

I needed a new tube and a guy at the shop I got the bike from gave me a pack that says " 29" 28" 27.5", after they'd finished servicing the bike. There also seems to be some mention of "650B" mixed in with a bunch of numbers at the bottom

So I went home and whacked that tube in, but it seems longer (circumference) and narrower than the tube that was in there before. I got in on the wheel, and it seemed a bit bunched up. But I got the tyre back on and pumped it up, and it seems ok.. did it straighten itself out? Is it ok in there? I'd ask the shop but they're currently closed.

27.5" and 650B are different names for the same thing... in both cases an ETRTO rim diameter of 584mm.

So this tube is designed for 27.5" x 2" or 650B x 50mm (aka 50-584.)

It's so close to 650B x 47mm, it should be fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How can you tell that looking at the box?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

TobinHatesYou posted:

27.5" and 650B are different names for the same thing... in both cases an ETRTO rim diameter of 584mm.

So this tube is designed for 27.5" x 2" or 650B x 50mm (aka 50-584.)

It's so close to 650B x 47mm, it should be fine.

alright cool, thanks

so who's gates do we have to storm to get this poo poo standardised, cos my eyes still can't really process all those numbers

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

In the year 2023 the answer to this is just "the nearest gravel bike with mounts that you enjoyed test riding". Don't overthink it.

You forgot “which one has the best paint job”

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Slavvy posted:

How can you tell that looking at the box?

It says 50-584 at the bottom (upper left section below the line)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I see that but it also has a bunch of other sizes in 29/700 diameter, can you really have one tube that does all those different sizes? I've just never seen that before, all the tubes I've send have been specific to a certain range in a certain diameter eg 700 23-32mm. Like I can't picture how a tube sized for 27.5x2 can also do 29x2.4

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I see that but it also has a bunch of other sizes in 29/700 diameter, can you really have one tube that does all those different sizes? I've just never seen that before, all the tubes I've send have been specific to a certain range in a certain diameter eg 700 23-32mm. Like I can't picture how a tube sized for 27.5x2 can also do 29x2.4

I won't do the math but I'm guessing the difference maybe isn't that big in percentage. And it just stretches, a lot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slavvy posted:

all the tubes I've send have been specific to a certain range in a certain diameter eg 700 23-32mm. Like I can't picture how a tube sized for 27.5x2 can also do 29x2.4

Tubes are undersized and designed to stretch to fill into the inside volume. Wider tires use tubes that stretch out more, which means they also expand radially more, if not constrained. So the same tube can be snug inside two different wheel sizes, which are only 4cm different in diameter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol this reminds me of the first COVID summer at the shop when we ran out of tubes and were basically just cramming whatever reasonably fit in there.

We were up front about it and always gave them the option to run with it or try to find a tube somewhere else and possibly spend the summer walking because everyone else was out, too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is tubeless mostly a mountain /gravel bike thing or is it good on the road too? Still feels weird to leave the house without a spare tube on me

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It can be good on road but never leave home without a tube there's lots of situations where sealant wont do the trick but a tube and maybe a tire boot or even a granola bar wrapper or 5$ bill will do.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tubeless is great on the road.

But yes carrying a spare tube and boot is still a good idea in the rare event you really slash open the tire. Very unlikely to ever need it but it can happen and you’ll be glad you have it.

My experience with tubeless is that minor punctures that would affect tubes go away almost entirely, but you’re still subject to the same risk of major damage regardless of setup.

I've only had to put a tube in one time when I somehow put a 1" gash in my tire while riding on dirt trails miles away from the nearest road, out of cell service, and 20+ miles from my car. That gash would wrecked a tube just the same. I was able to boot the tire with some clif bar wrappers and ride on a tube back to the car, and then replaced the tire after that.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 1, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Zach Gallardo, who's videos started showing up in my YouTube suggestions when I was looking for a single-speed bike, recently put out a pretty good video regarding tubeless tires.

It's worth a watch, in my humble opinion.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Somehow my front derailleur got bent juuuust enough for the freewheel to catch it and grind it to poo poo before I could stop....5 miles into my ride. Then some dude kitted out head to toe, plus a rear view mirror antenna on his helmet, stopped to "help" and began stepping on it to bend it back. He wasn't worried about breaking it cause I was gonna buy a new one, he said to his cringing riding group. Lol. I think something must have happened when I loaded it onto the bike rack after my last ride. It's a lovely rack and barely fits this one and my partner's bike. In good news, I figured out a better seat height that balances a good leg extension without throwing me over the handlebars. I feel way more in control and relaxed.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I use road tubeless with inserts and there’s no way I’m bothering to to pull off a tire with inserts out on the road. Either the DynaPlug works on a troublesome puncture or I’m limping home on the cushioning of the liner…or making a distress call.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah can't emphasize how nice dynaplugs are for tubeless. Not having to take the tire off and deal with sealant is a delight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pro tip if you want to cut costs you can use five $1 bills in place of a single $5 bill

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Pro tip if you want to cut costs you can use five $1 bills in place of a single $5 bill

I'd sooner use a hundred nickels.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna drink some nickelshlager instead of that

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

We don't have $1 bills here :(

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

fail

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EvilJoven posted:

I'll sell you three genuine made in USA bicycle sidewall reinforcers for $5.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

do you have any that are aero?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Once I used a $20 cause it was all I had and 6 months later I had forgotten about it and was patching another flat and it was such a bonus to find it, thankfully I had a $1 at that moment to replace it with

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

Only time you'll ever wish you were in America

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I use road tubeless with inserts and there’s no way I’m bothering to to pull off a tire with inserts out on the road. Either the DynaPlug works on a troublesome puncture or I’m limping home on the cushioning of the liner…or making a distress call.

What inserts do you use? Was thinking it might be a good idea to get some to avoid destroying my rim/me if I get a bad enough puncture

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Heliosicle posted:

What inserts do you use? Was thinking it might be a good idea to get some to avoid destroying my rim/me if I get a bad enough puncture

I use Vittoria Air Liners and the road versions don’t really offer rim impact protection. They’re just for being able to ride home if a plug doesn’t work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Somehow my front derailleur got bent juuuust enough for the freewheel to catch it and grind it to poo poo

The chainring?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just put a deposit on the new bike! https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2023-warbird-c-grx-600-1x

I'm also getting a salsa top tube bag that mounts directly to the frame, a bontrager frame bag that's big enough, but not so big that i don't have room for two water bottles, and an abus folding lock that can mount underneath the down(?) tube, right between the pedals

it's gonna be pretty cool having a bike that actually fits me. after the money from my old bike sale + the salsa sale + cash back from a new credit card that I got for this (one of those spend a lot of money in 3 months, get some back bonuses) I think the total bike cost is around 1500

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Thinking to procure a Surley Big Dummy for kid delivery duty.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

Thinking to procure a Surley Big Dummy for kid delivery duty.

too bad it's not part of the QBP sale, I guess it's only some models

I wonder if the burley dog bike trailer could accomodate a greyhound. only problem is greyhounds are very tall, so she wouldn't be able to stand up in there, but curling up would be no problem

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 3, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Found a nice second hand model and hoping to check it out tomorrow, the older one with the swooping top tube. Looks nicely accesorized as well. Hoping it's a medium frame size so I can share it with my baby momma. Not looking at electric, yet. I remember Bike Snob had one, man I used to read his website every week, it's been years now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
My wife and I got a gift card that would all but totally pay for something that just went on sale, the State Bicycle Company Americana, a cromoly 8-speed road bike that looks like it came out of the early 1980s. We were thinking about it... but she's 5'6" and I'm 5'10", which puts us squarely in different sizes. Poop.

Oh well. I really didn't need another bike... but I do know my next bike is going to be steel. I've been having too much fun riding my 4130 single speed. I don't even care that it's literally always in the wrong gear, especially when it's really hot and you have a 15 MPH headwind for the entire, un-shaded return trip of your workout ride. It just feels so nice.

They do have a sale on the 4130 All Road models with flat bars, and... well, I don't hate that idea, but... I don't need another bike.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The chainring?

Yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have come to possess a mountain bike with perhaps the worst hydraulically actuated brakes known to mankind, Hayes So1e.

What should I replace them with?

Rotors are 180 mm/160 mm front/rear and condition is fine. Upsizing the rear rotor might be problematic with frame clearance.

Post mount in front. IS in back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Today, in my day off, I shall see just how many trees are down along the bike trail. We had some bad storms over the weekend.