Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, stupid-checking myself:

Right now, I’m on a 3700x in a x570-P board with 16GB 3600CL16 and a 3080FE.
Monitor’s 1440p 165hz.

I don’t do any production-type stuff or giant compile jobs or ML things, beyond the occasional poke at upscaling old game textures via ESRGAN, but that’s almost entirely GPU. Games and emulation, mostly.

There’s nothing wrong with the system in the grand scheme of things, but it’s the steam summer sales, I’m eyeballing some of the recent big releases I’m actually interested in and the recommended specs are sneaking up to in-line with and potentially exceeding it on the CPU front. The Dead Space remake recommends a 5600x. Ray tracing’s savage on FPS, too and there’s some very pretty stuff I’d like to crank the settings up on.

What I’ve been considering is between some vouchers I’ve got and recent price drops, I could throw a 5800x3d and 32GB of 3600CL16 in there for about £300 all-in. 5900x is the same price, too.

I know it’s not going to bring monster FPS gains in most things unlike at 1080p, but is it better value staying on AM4 and putting off a full rebuild (till AM6?) with maybe a new GPU at some point or just throwing the money into the pot for an extra-beefy new-build in the future and working on my steam backlog/messing about with emulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

there's basically no reason not to drop in a 5800X3D tbh

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The 5800X3D is a sensible way to push out a full system rebuild for at least another generation. Do you need the extra RAM though? Given that you may have to drop the memory clocks if you populate the other DIMM slots, it could do more harm than good.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I went from a 3600 to a 5800x3D and the difference is huge in many games at all resolutions. If you've got the cash, go for it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The 5800X3D is a sensible way to push out a full system rebuild for at least another generation. Do you need the extra RAM though? Given that you may have to drop the memory clocks if you populate the other DIMM slots, it could do more harm than good.

Sounds like a good’un then. The ram bump is just replacing it with 2x16 - I know this board’s daisy-chained so don’t want to risk 4x8, I’ll find someone who can use a hand-me-down for what I’ve got now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

Sounds like a good’un then. The ram bump is just replacing it with 2x16 - I know this board’s daisy-chained so don’t want to risk 4x8, I’ll find someone who can use a hand-me-down for what I’ve got now.

4x8 and 2x16 should be roughly equivalent. Just don’t do 4x16.

3600CL16 should be fine on zen3 with the decent modules like micron e.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a B450 board with a 2700X I want to repurpose for another SFF box, but the only RAM I have left for it is Crucial Ballistix with the "early" E die in 3000CL15 (before they re-released it in black/white/red, RGB lightshow optional) or some Corsair LPX 3200CL16 which probably has some garbage chips underneath. Sucks that Micron ended production of the Ballistix DDR4 line :argh:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I currently have a 2600x, 16GBRam, an 8GB RX580, running on a B350 board (lol shut up, I know the B350 sucks).

I live about 45 minutes away from a Microcenter, and I'm thinking I'll pick up that weirdo new 5600x3D and then start looking at video cards to push my complete rebuild as far out as possible. Something along the lines of a 7600 for 4060.

I assume that's sensible and not a complete waste of money, right? I game at 1440p.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I currently have a 2600x, 16GBRam, an 8GB RX580, running on a B350 board (lol shut up, I know the B350 sucks).

I live about 45 minutes away from a Microcenter, and I'm thinking I'll pick up that weirdo new 5600x3D and then start looking at video cards to push my complete rebuild as far out as possible. Something along the lines of a 7600 for 4060.

I assume that's sensible and not a complete waste of money, right? I game at 1440p.

The cpu is fine, but I'm sceptical about those video cards. Could you swing a rx6700 or 6700xt? 12gb of vram is alot better than 8gb.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Make sure that board supports a 5800X3D (which would also cover the 5600X3D). I believe the 300 series boards didn't get that universally, and you're going to need a bios update if it isn't already up to date.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

power crystals posted:

Make sure that board supports a 5800X3D (which would also cover the 5600X3D). I believe the 300 series boards didn't get that universally, and you're going to need a bios update if it isn't already up to date.

Good point. I didn't realize updates were inconsistent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yudo posted:

Good point. I didn't realize updates were inconsistent.

A lot of b350 (and some b450!) boards did not have enough space in the bios flash to have information for the entire range of AM4 CPUs so support varies greatly.

Yudo posted:

The cpu is fine, but I'm sceptical about those video cards. Could you swing a rx6700 or 6700xt? 12gb of vram is alot better than 8gb.

I’d save a screenshot from one of the 4060 reviews that has the most representative type of game you’re interested in and then look carefully at what the microcenter has in stock including open box.

For example I’m looking at upgrading a pc with a 5600 and RTX 2060 and the twin cities one has some 12GB 3080s for $535 right now…

edit: 6750xt is $395 and 6700xt $380

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 1, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hobbesmaster posted:

4x8 and 2x16 should be roughly equivalent. Just don’t do 4x16.

3600CL16 should be fine on zen3 with the decent modules like micron e.

I had good luck with going from 2x16 to 4x16 on my ASUS B550 tuf gaming board. I was definitely concerned but with DOCP set it's maintaining the 3600 M/T and CL16 with 1T. I had 4x8 on my old haswell system and it dropped to 2T but it was also all DDR3-1600 so whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yup, my B350 will support the new CPU, already checked that.

Tbh, I was just using those two video cards as an example of the pricepoint/performance I'm going for. I'm not nearly as well versed in video card knowledge as I used to be, so I have a lot of research to do in that department.

Thanks everyone.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1675451952472158208?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol hell yeah. This is gonna cause so much malding.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Love my 7800X3D, but sucks that I managed to miss both the Jedi Survivor and Starfield promos.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shrike82 posted:

Something went wrong. Try reloading.

You gotta quote or screencap tweets now, elon has really musked it up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Here's the article that the tweet is linking to: AMD to bundle Starfield with Ryzen 7000 CPU series.

I gotta be honest, I extremely don't give a poo poo about these bundles, because they're US-exclusive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

Yeah, it's unreal that it's been so restricted. Traffic must be way down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Google Cloud Platform contract ran out end of June. Gotta save bandwidth for the new poo poo tier host.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Hah, looked at the 5800x3d userbenchmark page for a giggle and they're certainly saying the quiet parts out loud:

quote:

Also watch out for AMD’s army of Neanderthal social media accounts on reddit, forums and youtube, they will be singing their own praises as usual. Instead of focusing on real-world performance, AMD’s marketers aim to dupe consumers with bankrolled headlines.

:shepface:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Paul???

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

Hah, looked at the 5800x3d userbenchmark page for a giggle and they're certainly saying the quiet parts out loud:

Userbenchmark is hilariously biased against AMD :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fanboys that are so deranged that they make their preferred company look bad by association are the best

there's a twitter account that goes by @AMDGPU_ which tried to downplay raytracing by claiming that all CGI/VFX in movies was rasterized until 5-6 years ago, and kept doubling down even as a parade of senior rendering engineers from pixar/disney/etc tried to correct them

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kerbtree posted:

God I wish userbenchmark had been around during the Pentium 4 days.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume that guy was on long-dead forums coping hard about the Athlon 64

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kerbtree posted:

Next thing you know, he'll start developing the TempleBenchmark suite. He sure sounds to be heading that direction.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

fanboys that are so deranged that they make their preferred company look bad by association are the best

there's a twitter account that goes by @AMDGPU_ which tried to downplay raytracing by claiming that all CGI/VFX in movies was rasterized until 5-6 years ago, and kept doubling down even as a parade of senior rendering engineers from pixar/disney/etc tried to correct them

That twitter thread is my favourite thing to come out of hardware enthusiasts in the last year.

Lost my poo poo when the lead Dev of the renderer that @AMDGPU_ was spreading fud about replied, and the guy doubled down. The lead Dev of the project was correcting him and he called fake news!

All because AMD is bad at RT, apparently it has to be a big NVIDIA conspiracy that RT is useful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RT is great for screenshots, but I sure as poo poo don't notice it when I'm playing a game where it's enabled - except that the performance usually gets hit pretty bad, and that to compensate usually involves some kind of upsampling where the game is rendered at a lower resolution.

Seems kinda like that defeats the whole purpose of making things look good.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 3, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

That twitter thread is my favourite thing to come out of hardware enthusiasts in the last year.

Lost my poo poo when the lead Dev of the renderer that @AMDGPU_ was spreading fud about replied, and the guy doubled down. The lead Dev of the project was correcting him and he called fake news!

All because AMD is bad at RT, apparently it has to be a big NVIDIA conspiracy that RT is useful.

IIRC they even accused the devs of being in nvidias pocket, even though those renderers are all CPU based

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

RT is great for screenshots, but I sure as poo poo don't notice it when I'm playing a game where it's enabled.

It's entirely possible that's a me problem, though.

You're not alone that most things driving ultra graphics over the last few years feel like marginal improvements at huge performance costs.

Then occasionally something comes out like TLOU where the only settings options are "looks amazing but needs 12GB VRAM" or "PS2 textures".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol hell yeah. This is gonna cause so much malding.

I don't know *why*. By now, anyone with half a brain knows that AM5 had those new platform teething issues, and if they wanted Starfield that bad, they'd just buy it outright.

I can't imagine a free copy of Starfield being a worthwhile compulsion to move off literally anything else to AM5.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for about two years now, was really close to making up my mind with a 7800X3D since it has most of the marks of a platform that should have legs. I was really tempted a weekend ago when I saw RTX 4090 founders in stock to grab one, but just shoving it in my existing system would do almost nothing because I'm already CPU limited in pretty much every RTX game I have. But the whole first generation DDR5 platform issues and incidents of CPUs, Motherboards, and GPUs all burning up or exploding has kept me from actually building the rest of the system up to properly feed a 4090.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

RT is great for screenshots, but I sure as poo poo don't notice it when I'm playing a game where it's enabled - except that the performance usually gets hit pretty bad, and that to compensate usually involves some kind of upsampling where the game is rendered at a lower resolution.

Seems kinda like that defeats the whole purpose of making things look good.

Ray tracing is one of the things I notice more when it’s absent. Kinda like variable/high refresh monitors.

As far as lighting what CP77 makes very obvious is that prebaked lighting in big set pieces already effectively is ray traced because that’s how you make stuff look impressive and with set pieces you can heavily constrain your progress through the level and direction of lighting. What’s neat about ray tracing and more specifically path tracing is that everything looks like it’s had that amount of care put into it.

Also, partial reflections and translucency is huge. Control shows this off better than cyberpunk I think.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a lot of people would probably be just fine with a solid ambient occlusion and surface scattering implementation. the modern resident evil games on the re engine look perfectly amazing for most people, it's just that we're still doing this conflation of graphics and art style. hell, ea got away with just adding sweat to the player screenshots for every new sports game, and people thought it looked next gen by comparison

(the facial photogrammetry probably helps too)

we're probably about to go back to the old days of a lot of areas with fans spinning to show dynamic rendering of raytraced light

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kliras posted:

we're probably about to go back to the old days of a lot of areas with fans spinning to show dynamic rendering of raytraced light

You say that like it's a bad thing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Ray tracing is one of the things I notice more when it’s absent. Kinda like variable/high refresh monitors.

As far as lighting what CP77 makes very obvious is that prebaked lighting in big set pieces already effectively is ray traced because that’s how you make stuff look impressive and with set pieces you can heavily constrain your progress through the level and direction of lighting. What’s neat about ray tracing and more specifically path tracing is that everything looks like it’s had that amount of care put into it.

Also, partial reflections and translucency is huge. Control shows this off better than cyberpunk I think.
Oh, I absolutely notice high and variable refresh rates, now that I have a monitor that can do both.

Also, I'm pretty sure the beginning of this week marks the point at which it's been a month since I sent my 6750XT in for repair, and I still haven't heard anything.
Never buying anything from that retailer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seriously helps a lot in open world games. Sports games are even more constrained than a single player “hallway” map.