Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You can also use policies.json to disable things like studies, pocket, telemetry, and DNS over HTTPS.

Is there a reason to disable DNS over https?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
To allow the use of a PiHole would be one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

DNS over TLS is a much better option, because it maintains the encryption option while not giving some illusion of privacy or security that DoH seems to make people think they get.
Also, Paul Vixie and I happen to agree on something, which is that it should be possible for the admin of the network to have some amount of control over the network they're responsible for - and DoH kills that.

The proper way to get privacy and security is to use the TOR browser, or at the very least use a layer3-capable VPN that lets you you can force all traffic over using a tunneling interface.
Preferably to a server you own, or to one of the very few trustworthy VPN companies (which you need to be able to judge on your own, because it's your rear end on the line), not just any VPN company who'll surely sell your data.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 30, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fifefox's built-in DNS-over-HTTPS sends all DNS requests directly to cloudflare. Regardless of how you feel about cloudflare, it means your router is ignored.

This means you don't get router-based DNS caching or Pihole type stuff. And maybe local domain stuff?

If you have some basic networking skills and a decent router you can turn on DNS-over-TLS at the router level, and then just use plaintext DNS for all machines inside your network. All your DNS queries to the outside world are encrypted, you still can use piholes easily, it's the best of both worlds.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I still to this day hate the revamped version of Firefox Android. At this point I don't even remember all the things it used to do other than the lack of extensions. That and when you click on the address bar and click one of your frequently visited sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current one so I end up with loads of tabs for no reason and have to keep closing them. I don't understand why they made it do this and I don't understand why they can't fix it. I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a workaround/fix/addon for this?

I intensly dislike the new version too. I jumped ship to Vivaldi on android, I wanted my actual tabs back. I have them, and have been happy with it for ages.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DNS over TLS is a much better option, because it maintains the encryption option while not giving some illusion of privacy or security that DoH seems to make people think they get.
Also, Paul Vixie and I happen to agree on something, which is that it should be possible for the admin of the network to have some amount of control over the network they're responsible for - and DoH kills that.

Yeah, my work copy of Firefox has a browser extension installed by admin policy to get around that (the extension lets our antivirus software scan all traffic).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

Fifefox's built-in DNS-over-HTTPS sends all DNS requests directly to cloudflare. Regardless of how you feel about cloudflare, it means your router is ignored.

This means you don't get router-based DNS caching or Pihole type stuff. And maybe local domain stuff?

If you have some basic networking skills and a decent router you can turn on DNS-over-TLS at the router level, and then just use plaintext DNS for all machines inside your network. All your DNS queries to the outside world are encrypted, you still can use piholes easily, it's the best of both worlds.

Ah, ok. I have my pihole set up to use DNS over HTTPS using cloudflared, but not with cloudflare (iirc I'm using 9999). Now I've disabled Firefox's DNS over HTTPS in the settings menu. Not sure what policies.json does that this doesn't, but there's an option for disabling studies, too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Not sure what policies.json does that this doesn't, but there's an option for disabling studies, too.

policies.json doesn't have anything that isn't in about :config or normal prefs. For example the disable studies thing is a normal checkbox in prefs -> privacy & security -> Firefox Data Collection.

IMO using policies.json is a bad idea because anything you set there is now set invisibly to the normal browser UI. Firefox doesn't do the thing Windows does with Group Policies where it'll grey out the checkbox and say "this setting is managed by your enterprise" or whatever. So if you make changes that you want to revert later, you have to remember that you make a policies.json file with that stuff.

Firefox doesn't revert user settings without actual good reasons, so you don't need to use policies.json to protect your settings or whatever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Policies.json is maybe useful if you have several different Firefox profiles.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's also useful in cases like DoH where Firefox kept changing OID names seemingly for no reason.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

It's also useful in cases like DoH where Firefox kept changing OID names seemingly for no reason.

It's been network.trr.mode to disable in about :config since the start?

Though regardless the best way to disable DoH in Firefox is by blocking the canary domain.
1. You should only disable DoH on a network you control (to use a Pihole or whatnot).
2. This allows a laptop to use your preferred DNS at home and firefox's built in DoH when connected to other networks.
3. It is a fail safe behavior.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

IMO using policies.json is a bad idea because anything you set there is now set invisibly to the normal browser UI. Firefox doesn't do the thing Windows does with Group Policies where it'll grey out the checkbox and say "this setting is managed by your enterprise" or whatever. So if you make changes that you want to revert later, you have to remember that you make a policies.json file with that stuff.

It actually does...

and clicking that link tells you exactly what you have set via policies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

It actually does...

and clicking that link tells you exactly what you have set via policies.

Oh poo poo, I guess if you name the folder "distribution" instead of "distributions" it does!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why would you name the directory that when the instructions tell you to name it the other? :v:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
This has got me utterly stumped.

Twitter no longer loads for me, at all. It gets stuck in a redirect loop of constantly redirecting to the login page. I think I've narrowed down the issue and I flat out don't understand it. If I look at the requests in the devtools I see that it sends a 302 to the login page and a set-cookie header. But Firefox never sets that cookie. Even if I manually add the cookie, when I try again it never sends it.

Anyone have any idea why Firefox wouldn't send cookies for only one website?

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I mean.
Twitter's just been a burning shitstorm all weekend. Works *okay* for some people, doesn't work at all for others.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah I assumed it was a twitter issue for the last few days, but Firefox isn't sending cookies even if I set them manually, that's weird and definitely a Firefox issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least try clearing you cookies and cache first, maybe it's running old code.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
No dice. I've cleared cookies and cache, I've checked that its cleared in the bit where you can search for sites. Restarting doesn't help. I tried safe mode and it still happens so its not an addon issue, I tried it with a fresh profile and it loads, so I assume its a setting somewhere. But what setting? I'd rather not have to totally rebuild my profile just for Twitter.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Twitter quite famously is hosed for everyone right now because Elon didn't pay his bills. It's international news and everything. Do not try to fix the problem on your end, unless you can replace Elon and drop billions on fixing things up then just ride it out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Twitter quite famously is hosed for everyone right now because Elon didn't pay his bills. It's international news and everything. Do not try to fix the problem on your end, unless you can replace Elon and drop billions on fixing things up then just ride it out.

Not only did ol' Musky not pay the bills, he also DDOSed himself

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
So I fixed it. At some point, somehow, the site permissions for twitter.com had changed to block the use of cookies. I didn't even know that was a thing, so I've no idea how that happened.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The browser was doing you a favor.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bertha the Toaster posted:

So I fixed it. At some point, somehow, the site permissions for twitter.com had changed to block the use of cookies. I didn't even know that was a thing, so I've no idea how that happened.
That happened to me too a few months back, and it was the only site in the blocklist so I have no idea how it got there. Really weird.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I'm on KDE and with 115 it made the menu bar the same color as the window title, which I hate. Before I deepdive, does anyone know the CSS to fix this? I tried messing with the --colored-menu-bar options in https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/current/config/color_variables.css but they don't seem to do anything, I'm not sure if they're deprecated or just don't' work on Linux.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

So I'm on KDE and with 115 it made the menu bar the same color as the window title, which I hate. Before I deepdive, does anyone know the CSS to fix this? I tried messing with the --colored-menu-bar options in https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/current/config/color_variables.css but they don't seem to do anything, I'm not sure if they're deprecated or just don't' work on Linux.

The toolbar doesn't have a background color set. It is inherited from the whole toolbox. If you want to change just the toolbar background color, try something like:
code:
#toolbar-menubar { background-color: var(--toolbar-bgcolor); }
#toolbar-menubar is the whole area above the tabs on a normal UI layout (not sure how it will look with your tabs below the URL setup).
#menubar-items is the same vertically but it stops at the end of the menu bar horizontally.
#main-menubar is boxed just around the menu bar items (less vertical height from the others).

Try different ones to see what you like.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nalin posted:

The toolbar doesn't have a background color set. It is inherited from the whole toolbox. If you want to change just the toolbar background color, try something like:
code:
#toolbar-menubar { background-color: var(--toolbar-bgcolor); }
#toolbar-menubar is the whole area above the tabs on a normal UI layout (not sure how it will look with your tabs below the URL setup).
#menubar-items is the same vertically but it stops at the end of the menu bar horizontally.
#main-menubar is boxed just around the menu bar items (less vertical height from the others).

Try different ones to see what you like.
Thanks, turns out #menubar-items is the only one that works under Linux, and I was able to get the menu bar grey, but the problem then became that the text was still white. So I figured out how to set the text to black, but then when I opened a private window and the background color was dark grey black was too hard to see. Tabs had similar issues, inactive tabs had white text on a grey background that was impossible to see. So I guess I'll just bite the bullet and disable tabs on top and live with the color. I'm sure there's other tags to fix it all but I don't want to have to have that complex of css settings just to get text visible.

For anyone else who wants to mess with it, here's the result of tweaking #menubar-items in KDE. Just an ugly squared-off box.

Edit: Welp, never mind. The blue was too distracting so I went searching for a theme, I just switched from the system-matching theme to the "Light" theme and now everything's nice and grey again. A different shade of grey than before, but whatever, close enough.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 7, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Knormal posted:

Thanks, turns out #menubar-items is the only one that works under Linux, and I was able to get the menu bar grey, but the problem then became that the text was still white. So I figured out how to set the text to black, but then when I opened a private window and the background color was dark grey black was too hard to see. Tabs had similar issues, inactive tabs had white text on a grey background that was impossible to see. So I guess I'll just bite the bullet and disable tabs on top and live with the color. I'm sure there's other tags to fix it all but I don't want to have to have that complex of css settings just to get text visible.

For anyone else who wants to mess with it, here's the result of tweaking #menubar-items in KDE. Just an ugly squared-off box.

Edit: Welp, never mind. The blue was too distracting so I went searching for a theme, I just switched from the system-matching theme to the "Light" theme and now everything's nice and grey again. A different shade of grey than before, but whatever, close enough.

Any particular reason you're still showing the menu bar?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They're probably weird like me and have it to always show.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Lately I've noticed that foxy gestures is super slow reacting to the "close tab" gesture if I have multiple tabs open and loading.

Like for example:
I just opened several tabs from my SA bookmarks, switched to the first one, noticed that it was already read (because my bookmarks tab was stale).
I did the close tab gesture, switched back to the bookmarks tab and refreshed it.
At this point foxy gestures finally registered the action and closed the bookmarks tab instead of the read thread tab I made the gesture in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Get him, boys!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I show my menu bar for a little bit of extra grab space for moving the window on the desktop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I used to care about the menu bar until I admitted the hamburger menu's actually a pretty good design of all the actually used options in one single easy-to-access list. Same with the extensions button, I don't really need to see uBlock or Privacy Badger's icons 24/7 since I rarely need to gently caress with them. I still hit alt to access the previously closed session from the bookmarks menu though since idk, somehow it's more logical than using the hamburger menu for it. But then again I'm a sick twisted freak who uses touch density on desktop while also hiding the bookmarks bar outside of new tab so what do I know, I'm all sorts of hosed up anyway :twisted:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Menu bars 4 lyfe.

No real reason, just inertia and I'm used to where things are in there, even though I rarely use them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I keep it visible because I have several extension buttons, like uBlock, undo close tab and TabDetach, on there.

I also really miss being able to have an "extensions" button there, too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The burger requires more clicks and I can't view my Bookmarks in an orderly way through it at all apparently.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Szmitten posted:

The burger requires more clicks and I can't view my Bookmarks in an orderly way through it at all apparently.

Just remember that Alt-B still works.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can put a button for the bookmarks menu on the toolbar.

But there's nothing wrong with having a menu bar if you like it / find it useful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shaking my head at all the people mousing around when keyboard shortcuts work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

Here's how I have my menus and tabs that I find acceptable.

I think the relevant section is lines 136-338

https://pastebin.com/vYPuV70w

Here's my chrome and I think it's pretty good.
Some weird lack of contrast around the tab area. Apparently letting people know that things are buttons is bad.
Not that far off FF3/4/7.