Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

If states like Texas and Florida are going to set up human trafficking operations to Chicago, it seems like the Feds should provide the city with funding for it.

Hey, we got like $8 million, why are you complaining???? (We asked for $190 million)

Willa Rogers posted:

In which case I can kind of see the neighborhood folks getting a tad salty about it, given that their children were then forced to travel greater distances to get to school after Rahm's closings, and given the historic tension between minority communities.

This is exactly the issue. The south side is seeing their schools closed and given over to migrant families, when what they want is those schools to reopen as actual schools for their kids. This is also bringing out a little hate from black people towards Latinos as well. Someone showed up at a southside community meeting with a Build the Wall sign. I think there's really two things happening. First is black people are tired of disinvested neighborhoods, and second, a flood of migrants means they might see their own neighborhoods taken over by Latinos.

If the city wants to open a migrant center up on the northside, fine by me. Problem is that we don't have nearly the amount of available buildings that the south side does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

If the city wants to open a migrant center up on the northside, fine by me. Problem is that we don't have nearly the amount of available buildings that the south side does.

There've already been northside shelters, including in Hadden's ward. But they've been small & non-centralized and obviously there aren't currently enough of them that are set up.

That (and nimbyism, I'm sure) is why Hadden's calling for a central location like Navy Pier or McCormick Place that is large enough to handle them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hadden's ward had a huge tent city for the unhoused take over a public park (it began during covid) and she somehow successfully got people rehomed before the tent city was dismantled a few weeks ago after growing over the past three years.

So I'm inclined to give her proposal a fair read & the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a large migrant center.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I would be fine with a migrant center somewhere. Hell why don’t they just build one where the steel mills were on the far South side? That land is sitting vacant, it’s far enough away that the nimbys can shut the gently caress up. The development would likely fuel some other development as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

I would be fine with a migrant center somewhere. Hell why don’t they just build one where the steel mills were on the far South side? That land is sitting vacant, it’s far enough away that the nimbys can shut the gently caress up. The development would likely fuel some other development as well.

Isn’t all that brownfields and contaminated to gently caress and back?

Jows
May 8, 2002

It's probably not as bad as you think. Lincoln Yards is on brownfield industrial sites.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There was talk of development a couple of times. I think the issue was more there was a lot that is just too hard and expensive to demo/remove. But if you were going to use it as migrant housing you could use the existing infrastructure that is left to make the housing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What exactly stops the city from just bussing them all back to Texas?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

banned from Starbucks posted:

Technically nothing. Although using people that are tired, often sick and scared as political hot potato isn’t humane. Also there is a very real risk of something bad happening to these folks if they go back to Texas or Florida.

I want to stress that what Desantis and Abbott are doing is inhumane. They are lying and taking advantage of people who do not have any concept of what is going on, are confused and scared. Ultimately coming here will be a much better option than being there but the fact that they are treating people like it is a game frankly sickens me.

It is our duty to be better. Yeah it might inconvenience some people but you make sacrifices to help those in need.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Having a inkling of empathy for other human beings.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Having a inkling of empathy for other human beings.

Everything's bigger in Texas, especially the space where your heart should be.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ILSecOfState/status/1666581054574952448

?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well holy poo poo, now we’re exporting violent crime.

quote:

A 21-year-old Naperville woman died and a 22- year-old Bloomington woman was badly hurt after a man pushed them off a slope outside of Neuschwanstein castle in Germany Wednesday, according to NBC 5.

German police say it appears an American man lured Eva Liu, of Naperville, and Kelsey Chang, of Bloomington, toward the Marienbrücke vantage point while they were hiking around 2 p.m.

He then attacked Liu, which prompted Chang to intervene. Chang was pushed off the 165-foot slope, and the man tried to sexually assault Liu before pushing her off the slope as well.

Liu and Chang were taken to a nearby hospital, where Liu died of her injuries, ABC reported.

The women had been visiting Germany shortly after graduating from the University of Illinois.

In a statement to ABC, the University of Illinois confirmed that Liu received a bachelor of science degree in computer science in May, while Chang graduated with a degree in computer engineering.

The 30-year-old American man was taken into custody in the wake of the incident, police in Germany said, putting out a plea for information and images that could aid in their investigation.
I just cannot even comprehend this. You just graduate from college, go bum around Europe before entering the working world and some rear end in a top hat just decides to ruin your life to get off. Like this cannot be the first time this guy has done something like this. I also can’t help but suspect the guy picked two Asian girls because he thought they’d be easy targets. And the ‘slope’ is basically a cliff. And the entire thing is always crowded as gently caress like I don’t know how he thought he was going to get away with this.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The murderer wasn't from Illinois, this is another case of Illinoisans becoming victims to other states violence.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have Sterigenics induced violence in Willowbrook though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

The murderer wasn't from Illinois, this is another case of Illinoisans becoming victims to other states violence.

I don’t know that we know that yet as the perpetrator was only identified as ‘American’ and the name hasn’t been released. Possible they all went to the same school or they vaguely knew the guy some other way.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
Both victims are alumni of my high school, it's been sending shock waves through the alum community. Absolutely awful, and yet another predatory rear end in a top hat committing violence against women.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CarterUSM posted:

Both victims are alumni of my high school, it's been sending shock waves through the alum community. Absolutely awful, and yet another predatory rear end in a top hat committing violence against women.

Has a name been released yet? I’m wondering if maybe they knew him peripherally, like he also graduated from UIUC or something.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This thread needs a name change. It was named when we were pretty sure Pritzker was going to just completely suck, and he has fallen far short of that and has actually been pretty decent.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I gotta say, Lori's NASCAR event was pretty interesting. Probably because it was all wet and everyone kept spinning out and crashing into a tire wall.

I thought, though, it would be like a street race street race where they'd actually drive down, like the loop or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This thread needs a name change. It was named when we were pretty sure Pritzker was going to just completely suck, and he has fallen far short of that and has actually been pretty decent.

Why does Pritzker, the largest governor, not simply eat the other 49?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Great Plains Khanate Megathread

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Great Plains Khanate Megathread

Yeah this

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

God, Chris Kennedy would have sucked so bad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Biss would have been too, can you imagine

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I think you are all forgetting that PRITZKER SUCKS ……….the life out of small business

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Illinois politics: Vallas-free since '23

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Why does Pritzker, the largest governor, not simply eat the other 49?

I think he's on ozempic or one of the others; the pics of him in the pride parade this year make it look like he's lost at least 100 lbs.

I'd rather not see him run for president but he's doing a better job here than I expected.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's only one house left in my neighborhood brave enough to display the PRITZKER SUCKS signs. Their Trump 2024 sign disappeared a couple months ago though

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FuturePastNow posted:

There's only one house left in my neighborhood brave enough to display the PRITZKER SUCKS signs. Their Trump 2024 sign disappeared a couple months ago though

How anyone in Illinois can support the guy that pardoned Blaggo is beyond me.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

FuturePastNow posted:

There's a house I pass by going to work, over on Ozark and Belmont area, that has a gently caress Biden 2020 flag, Trump 2020 flag ,a Don't blame me I voted Trump poster and I think a FJB one as well.

I laugh everytime

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My fave is the sign that just says

BJ PRICKSTER

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I honestly don’t see as many of the JB sucks signs as I used to. But I do still hear how he is letting Chicago take all the money away from downstate Illinois.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lammasu posted:

How anyone in Illinois can't support the guy that pardoned Blaggo is beyond me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I still see the Pritzker sucks signs (like the one across the street from my kids grade school) but a lot of them have disappeared.

I am starting to see the Trump 2024 signs popping up but not in all the places I expected.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Saw a DeSantis '24 sign here in Wheaton. Lol. Lmao.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw a Kennedy sign in my block, lol

They have autism awareness stickers on their cars, and I think that's why :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was doing in home training, and went out in the back with their puppy so we could work on recall wih distractions and saw their old trump sign behind the garage. Made me really sad because I liked these people and they have an awesome puppy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

I honestly don’t see as many of the JB sucks signs as I used to. But I do still hear how he is letting Chicago take all the money away from downstate Illinois.

There’s actually a bit of truth to that, though it
a) way predates Pritzker and
b) is more the Assembly.

It’s all about the LGDF.

quote:

State-shared income tax revenue is distributed to local governments through the Local Government Distributive Fund (LGDF). LGDF is a state and local funding partnership instituted as part of the establishment of the State income tax in 1969. LGDF revenue helps local governments fund essential services and programs such as public safety, public health and basic infrastructure construction and repair. This shared revenue also reduces the amount of revenue local governments must collect through local taxes.

A review of the history of LGDF distributions shows that the local percentage share of the state income tax distributed through LGDF funding has already been reduced over the years. This has prevented local governments throughout the state from receiving billions of dollars in shared revenue.

Until January 2011, counties and municipalities received 10% of total state income tax revenues through LGDF. Following a temporary increase in state income tax rates in 2011, the percentage of tax revenue allocated to LGDF for distribution to local counties and municipalities declined to 6%.

In January 2015, the local share of the state income tax increased to 8% when the higher income tax rates declined according to a predetermined schedule established by law.

The state income tax was permanently increased in 2017 and the local government share was reduced to 5.45% for individual income tax collections and 6.16% for corporate income tax collections for State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2018.

The LGDF share was slightly increased within the SFY 2021 state budget and is presently 6.06% for individual income tax collections and 6.845% for corporate income tax collections. This is significantly below the 10% share received by counties and municipalities prior to January 2011.

Following action by the Senate, the Illinois House passed the Fiscal Year 2024 Budget (FY24) agreement in the early hours of Saturday May 27th
. The budget does not sway far from the proposal that Governor J.B. Pritzker announced during his State of the State address in February. In addition to allocating government spending into key state departments, the $50.6 billion spending plan includes a Local Government Distributive Fund (LGDF) rate increase from 6.16% to 6.47%.
So this reduction hit downstate counties particularly hard. “Oh boo boo just raise your local rates” you might say. But if you’ll recall from earlier posts, PTELL locks counties that voted it in (and which are without home rule) to a limit of how much they can increase those local taxes to compensate for the loss of revenue (default of 5% or increase in national CPI, whichever is lower). You can see a map of which counties are subject to PTELL here. You can imagine how hard this limitation is hitting with the crazy inflation of the last few years.
And the only way to get rid of PTELL is either voter referendum (to drop it) or voter referendum (to become a home rule county). You’re not going to find a whole lot of voters (who trend towards also being home owners) willing to vote for their county to be able to drastically increase their property taxes, especially in ‘2nd highest property tax rates in the country’ Illinois. So (mostly Republican) county boards in the 1990s really screwed their future administrations with that PTELL vote. Instead of owning that and maybe trying to convince their voters to reject PTELL they’d rather go with the ‘Chicago is stealing our tax monies’ which is more palatable to their voter base.

Oh: so how does this equate to ‘Chicago stealing our tax dollars?’

Because LGDF money is distributed on a per capita basis. Mo’ people mo’ money. And Chicago has the lions share of the people.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Interesting. I had always heard the general trend was the money making counties were the northern ones and most southern counties took way more state money than they put in overall.

https://news.siu.edu/2018/08/081018-research-shows-state-funding-disparities-benefit-downstate.php

From a few years back but what I was referring too.

Nash fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 4, 2023