Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

FFXIII is better than FFX. I won't respond to comments.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I prefer X but they're both good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i wouldn't mind seeing another FF or some other game take on the paradigm system. it always felt like a really unique take on adding some action elements to what was otherwise a plain ol' ATB system

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XIII does have fewer one-legged pants

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After much trial and tribulation i've discovered the method of climbing ladders in System Shock.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gaius Marius posted:

After much trial and tribulation i've discovered the method of climbing ladders in System Shock.

remake or original?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Original, took a minute to realize I needed to hold the spacebar rather than jamming on it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
FFX, if going by classic FFs, is my favourite FF. Hands down. FFVIII comes incredibly, squeakingly close, and then even closer is FFIX. What a trio of games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like IX even if the combat system is not great. though i dont think any FF really has particularly great combat (i haven't played FFV)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFV is just the same combat as 4-9 with more options to break it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah FF is one of those series i think of when i think "RPGs where you basically just mash your most powerful spell"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk what happened exactly but I’ve come to dislike the breakability of ff8, making an easy game even easier isn’t fun to me anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had a hard time going back to Morrowind for that exact reason

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Games Forum posted:

FFX, if going by classic FFs, is my favourite FF. Hands down. FFVIII comes incredibly, squeakingly close, and then even closer is FFIX. What a trio of games.

Man Square was just on an incredible roll between the mid nineties and when they merged with Enix

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

FFXIII is better than FFX. I won't respond to comments.

I'll allow it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feldegast42 posted:

Man Square was just on an incredible roll between the mid nineties and when they merged with Enix

them announcing FFIX, FFX, and FFXI at the same time has to be one of the craziest announcements anyone's ever done

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Games Forum posted:

Getting final fantasy 7, 8, 9, and 10 between 1997 and 2001 feels like a fever dream in retrospect. The quality of titles, output speed, and graphical improvement. God drat.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

They're on an incredible roll right now as well my friend

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

xedo posted:

Getting final fantasy 7, 8, 9, and 10 between 1997 and 2001 feels like a fever dream in retrospect. The quality of titles, output speed, and graphical improvement. God drat.

And that doesn't count FF Tactics, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, SaGa, Vagrant Story...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Games Forum posted:

Its nuts too that all of these games released like a year after the other and were all in development around the same time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fridge corn posted:

They're on an incredible roll right now as well my friend

did they stop trying to go all-in on NFTs

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like ffxv

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

did they stop trying to go all-in on NFTs

No, they still have an NFT game in development.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I wouldn't say one game in development that they seem to be ashamed of counts as "all in" on NFTs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of their games I've played have NFTs in and none of their upcoming ones I'm interested in do that's good enough for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They very much had an attitude of going all in, but in practice, not much has happened. I think they had some NFT stuff in a gacha game, they had one that was sold with a Cloud statue, and then the NFT specific game that they don't really seem to talk about

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It's probably smart financial wise to say you're going all in on NFTs and then quietly wait for next thing investors will obsess over

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

They very much had an attitude of going all in, but in practice, not much has happened. I think they had some NFT stuff in a gacha game, they had one that was sold with a Cloud statue, and then the NFT specific game that they don't really seem to talk about

yeah, the dialogue post-NFT crash has very much been a vague, noncommittal "we're still working on it, we promise" line that reads more like an attempt to not scare away investors who put money into SE on that basis than a serious dedication to the NFT future

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Gotta point out that while the creative people in the studio are on a roll, Squeenix upper management has always been an utter shitshow and doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Live A Live
Octopath II
Triangle Strategy
Remake of Tactics Ogre that is the definitive version of the game.
Trials of Mana
Saga Frontier remaster
Legend of Mana remaster
XVI
VIIR
Front Mission 1 remake with II and III coming later apparently
An updated Nier release cause why not?
The weird flippy magic game whose name I can’t recall
Pixel Remaster collection (overpriced though)
Valkyrie Elysium (good combat apparently?)
Diofield Chronicle (divisive, but apparently has a cool story though?)
Valkyrie Profile on modern platforms thank gently caress, also where’s II?

And they divested themselves of their western properties, which I think was a good move.

Square is on fire and maintaining a level of rapid output and (generally) very high quality. I think we’re looking at a period similar to the late nineties for them. Also I’m sure I missed a game or three in that list but that’s extremely respectable and that’s just like what the last two years or so?

They’re showing their storied IPs, even the ones that won’t necessarily draw heavy profit, the kind of reverence and love they deserve. Considering most western devs are happy to vault that poo poo and cynically cash in ASAP, I’m into this strategy and the bench goes much deeper.

Also, they don’t mind tossing out some AA jank and considering how budgets are just inflating constantly ($200 mil for TLoU and Horizon sheesh) then I’m happy to say this tends to yield games we can actually play right the gently caress now, with no live service, no weird gimmicks, just focused games that are trying to do one thing well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

unattended spaghetti posted:

Valkyrie Profile on modern platforms thank gently caress, also where’s II?

2 apparently has some truly insane coding behind the scenes. Even the backwards-compatible PS3s have weird emulation bugs playing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got from under my rock for a stretch today, and found out about the student debt decision :[

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What was the weird flippy magic game

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Got from under my rock for a stretch today, and found out about the student debt decision :[

sux :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

What was the weird flippy magic game

Forspoken

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked it at the time but Fallout 4's much better than I remember it being

Then again I have also actively refused to engage with the main quest this time

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/MegaDriveShock/status/1675798596950847488
https://t.co/fnyvM2TkmZ

So someone uploaded some old classified corporate documents from Sega of America in 1996 when everything was going wrong financially and they were trying to figure out what to do.

It's 272 pages long and has detailed sales, financial, and manufacturing cost information for Sega consoles. Even has commentary on upcoming games in the production pipeline at the time.

The shortened link above leads directly to the 48mb pdf in case the twitter embed doesn't work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is for spoken ten bucks yet?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

four spøkens would still only exchange for 39 cents USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DaveKap posted:

If you don't mind my asking... what were people being weird about? I haven't heard a single word about the game that I'd consider weird.