Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My iPhone Excess is at 84% but it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Recently Siri changed. Now when we say "turn the Basement Lights off" it asks "did you mean Basement Lights in your house? :downs:".

I did do the iPhone Home update recently, is there any way to revert the behavior? Did the update accidentally set up an empty vacation home or something in HomeKit which is why Siri is asking now?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hed posted:

Recently Siri changed. Now when we say "turn the Basement Lights off" it asks "did you mean Basement Lights in your house? :downs:".

I did do the iPhone Home update recently, is there any way to revert the behavior? Did the update accidentally set up an empty vacation home or something in HomeKit which is why Siri is asking now?

It’s Siri. It’s designed to do stupid poo poo from time to time. It’s part of the charm.

I used “hey Siri, all lights off” last night (it’s a scene that… turns all lights in my house off), and it turned the kitchen off, but the hallway lights came on.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
76% iphone pro max.
Still holds a day thankfully

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hed posted:

See if it’ll let you turn the lights off in someone else’s house.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Hed posted:

There’s some setting in the Home app for location services, check that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s Siri. It’s designed to do stupid poo poo from time to time. It’s part of the charm.

I used “hey Siri, all lights off” last night (it’s a scene that… turns all lights in my house off), and it turned the kitchen off, but the hallway lights came on.
I have a HomePod mini I sometimes use for various alarms. I usually turn them off by saying “Siri be quiet” or “Siri shut up” and about half the time Siri will mishear me / get passive-aggressively petty about it and respond with “OK, media will play quieter / louder” 🙃

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

While I’m grousing about the HomePod, here’s a question: I sometimes also have a podcast playing on the HomePod when an alarm goes off. Is there any command that will silence the alarm but keep the podcast playing? I’ve tried saying “stop alarm”, tapping the top, everything I do stops the alarm and also the podcast.

Then when I say “resume podcast” it will start playing an episode I listened to a week ago or something

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish there was truth to the rumors years ago that Apple were looking at setting up MVNOs in a bunch of markets so traveling with your phone would be cheaper and seamless, with eSIMs being the default standard these days. Still makes me laugh whenever I land somewhere I get a text from AT&T joyfully telling me if I even sniff a MB of data while roaming I’m going to be paying through the rear end for it.

It is funny that with both AT&T and Verizon that I can actually go to Nogales Mexico without my phone picking up a Mexican tower but if I go to Parker Canyon Lake 10 miles north as the crow flies of the border at least, I instantly get a text welcoming me to Mexico and what the rates are (considered a local network now with both so I don’t know why they bother). Proof of geometry.

Generic Monk posted:

I have an older DSLR and would appreciate some way to automatically geotag photos taken with it - is there a recommended app that will export locations and timecodes and let me apply locations to them as part of my Lightroom import? There seem to be a few of them but no idea which of them isn't a scammy waste of time

Geotagr will do this. It’s actually gotten less seamless as the gears of time grind on but it still works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would recommend calling Apple and getting a quote. They do repairs like that for a flat fee. It might be a little more than $200, but you'll at least know it's most likely being done properly and the repair itself will have a warranty.

I did do this, and it was something crazy like $499. I wound up going with https://celltechrepairs.com/iphone-back-glass-repair/ who did it for just $99. I got the phone back today and it looks fine to me, time will tell, but for $99 im not too worried about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, relatedly, is there a process for migrating from my 12 Mini to this phone, SIM-wise? I'm on AT&T in the US, do I just swap the SIM over, or is there more to it?

The small size of the 12 Mini hurts my thumb, which is already arthritic, and the size of the XS Max seems to alleviate it somewhat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For the SIM just swap it over. They should both be using nano-SIMs so no adapter or anything will be needed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

will I have to log into my account and do anything or does the new phone just magically become my old one as far as data, phone# and all of the AT&T services are concerned?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sick. Boutta sim swap wish me (unneeded) luck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Confirmed, it was majic

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Selecting this photo is 100% on me but still, lol

I have other images with stuff in the sky but it's usually clouds so the phone fades in the clock. I figured it would have done something similar for rocks but alas.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like a keeper to me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Selecting this photo is 100% on me but still, lol

I have other images with stuff in the sky but it's usually clouds so the phone fades in the clock. I figured it would have done something similar for rocks but alas.

God nws your sext wallpaper plz

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can’t believe it’s almost a half hour past boner

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want a super basic grippy soft touch silicone case for my iPhone 13 with decent drop protection like air pockets/bumpers + screen lip + camera lip. Any suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want a super basic grippy soft touch silicone case for my iPhone 13 with decent drop protection like air pockets/bumpers + screen lip + camera lip. Any suggestions?

Not silicone, but I usually grab a cheap Ringke Air tpu case. Has plenty of raise-ivity and is grippy.

Con: all the transparent ones yellow with age.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Standard silicon Apple MagSafe case? On sale fairly often on Amazon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My airpods pro 1 got refused from free repairs. Is there any goon consensus for decent earbuds with active echo cancellation that aren't apple but work with apple kit?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

keep it in a grippy psych ward sock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

My airpods pro 1 got refused from free repairs. Is there any goon consensus for decent earbuds with active echo cancellation that aren't apple but work with apple kit?

Sure, but you may not like that the answer is the AirPods Pro 2.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

It’s not goon consensus (goonsensus?), but I have a pair of Sony’s catchily named WF-1000XM4 earbuds that work pretty dang well. They don’t support Siri, so that might be a dealbreaker for you, but since I don’t use Siri unless I absolutely have to it’s an omission I don’t notice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Sure, but you may not like that the answer is the AirPods Pro 2.

I spent 200€ to get worse performance than the 115€ jabra 75t i gifted to my mom, since the microphones on those haven't melted after six months of use. I might rethink this position at generation 5 or 6 of the pros.

Branch Nvidian posted:

It’s not goon consensus (goonsensus?), but I have a pair of Sony’s catchily named WF-1000XM4 earbuds that work pretty dang well. They don’t support Siri, so that might be a dealbreaker for you, but since I don’t use Siri unless I absolutely have to it’s an omission I don’t notice.

Given that most of my messages comes from teams or whatsapp, siri is not important. How is the battery life? Four hours or more between slotting the earbuds in the case?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I spent 200€ to get worse performance than the 115€ jabra 75t i gifted to my mom, since the microphones on those haven't melted after six months of use. I might rethink this position at generation 5 or 6 of the pros.

Apple's warranty cover their devices for a year, and you're likely in a region with strong warranty laws - why aren't they repairing them for free if they're only 6 months old? That doesn't make sense.

I'm going to be that annoying goon who recommends AppleCare for AirPods.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Given that most of my messages comes from teams or whatsapp, siri is not important. How is the battery life? Four hours or more between slotting the earbuds in the case?

I want to say I get around five-ish hours between having to put them in their charge case with ANC on. If you use them with something that supports LDAC then that’ll be lower, but the iPhone doesn’t support that codec. Sony is pretty proud of their earbuds though and charge quite a bit for it. I like the buds, but absolutely you should try to get them on sale instead of at their $280 USD msrp.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Branch Nvidian posted:

I want to say I get around five-ish hours between having to put them in their charge case with ANC on. If you use them with something that supports LDAC then that’ll be lower, but the iPhone doesn’t support that codec. Sony is pretty proud of their earbuds though and charge quite a bit for it. I like the buds, but absolutely you should try to get them on sale instead of at their $280 USD msrp.

I'll keep an eye out during next week amazon prime days, they usually discounts sony xm buds during those

Corb3t posted:

Apple's warranty cover their devices for a year, and you're likely in a region with strong warranty laws - why aren't they repairing them for free if they're only 6 months old? That doesn't make sense.

I'm going to be that annoying goon who recommends AppleCare for AirPods.

I replaced them two times in the first year(using the original seller), a third time at the end of the second that counted as using the recall (using the apple store since the original store told me i was scamming them with all the repair requests and denied me). Adding applecare would meant that for another hundo i would have gotten another set today that would have lasted barely in next year given the average lifetime recorded until now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I love my Sony bluetooth cans, I'm curious how good non-Airpods are at handing off audio between Apple devices - has anybody tried it with a MacBook and iPhone? Switching between my MacBook and iPhone with AirPod Pros in is seamless for me - if I'm using my AirPods with my MacBook and I pick up my phone to take a call, the AirPod Pros switch instantaneously.

SlowBloke posted:

I replaced them two times in the first year(using the original seller), a third time at the end of the second that counted as using the recall (using the apple store since the original store told me i was scamming them with all the repair requests and denied me). Adding applecare would meant that for another hundo i would have gotten another set today that would have lasted barely in next year given the average lifetime recorded until now.

You sound pretty tough on your devices - I doubt the average AirPods user is replacing them 3x in one year. I wish you the best of luck getting warranty support for non-Apple earbuds in the future.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 8, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I'll keep an eye out during next week amazon prime days, they usually discounts sony xm buds during those

The Sony LinkBuds S seems to be pretty highly favored by people as well, especially in the microphone department as it seems they might have better mics than the 1000XM4 buds, and they’re $80 USD cheaper at MSRP to boot. This is the LinkBuds S though, not the regular LinkBuds with the weird open-back design thing.

E: fwiw I’m not super hard on my earbuds. I mostly use them when I’m doing a specific task at work that requires me to sit at my desk and work an excel sheet for six-seven hours one day a week. All other times I’m using them are pretty sporadic. Don’t want to come off like a Sony shill, I’ve just personally liked the set I have, which I used to replace a set of original AirPods Pro that hosed up and died a month after their warranty expired.

Corb3t posted:

I love my Sony bluetooth cans, I'm curious how good non-Airpods are at handing off audio between Apple devices - has anybody tried it with a MacBook and iPhone? Switching between my MacBook and iPhone with AirPod Pros in is seamless for me - if I'm using my AirPods with my MacBook and I pick up my phone to take a call, the AirPod Pros switch instantaneously.

They do not switch seamlessly like this, at least not for me. I do have to go to the BT menu and tell it to connect. They support multipoint, but I’ve had some issues with that working consistently across Apple devices. If that seamless transfer is super important, I’d recommend sticking with AirPods.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corb3t posted:

You sound pretty tough on your devices - I doubt the average AirPods user is replacing them 3x in one year. I wish you the best of luck getting warranty support for non-Apple earbuds in the future.

Agreed. I’ve had a set of pros for two years now and they’re still good

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Corb3t posted:

I thought the handoff is a uniquely Apple feature, I have some generic Chinese brand earbuds and I don’t think they can realistically connect to more than one device at a time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I do believe there's some design issues with the 1st gen AirPods Pro. I had to get mine replaced twice for the same issue.

That said, I bought the 2nd gen at launch and they're fine so far. No issues. Hell, yesterday I dropped them and the case went flying open and the earbuds went flying, and everything still works.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I went through five individual airpod pro earbuds in the space of two years, all free replacements. I've had beats fit pros for about a year and a half and have had no issues

e: siri imessage dictation is a proprietary feature. apple multi-device handoff is a proprietary feature, though other bluetooth headsets will let you pair multiple hosts with varying levels of reliability and ease of use

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 8, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have replaced one set of AirPod pros but it was because I sent them through the wash in my pocket.

Shout out to AppleCare on that one

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah the headphones with that apple chip in them work like magic and are the promised land of Bluetooth things imo. Like I haven’t tried to reconnect them to any device, PC or Linux or whatever, and had it take longer than 20 seconds, across all makes and models, regardless of how long ago the last connection was.

But of course it’s even faster and more seamless if you have all apple poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Magic is overstating it a bit, but it is nice when it works. Sometimes only one bud will connect and I have to put them back in the case, then back in my ears to retry the connection.