Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
weird, all the smartest posters have assured me that the ukrainian nation is completely united behind the war effort and any talk to the contrary is evil russian tankie disinformation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's just nuts to me, because it seems like supporting Ukraine should lead you to a pretty well-justified "stabbed in the back" narrative regarding NATO.

Clark Nova posted:

bwahahahahaha the orc harlequin romance that is secretly a stoner buddy comedy

The description for that book is actually interesting to me, since it seems like it's from the perspective of the orc guy, rather than the queen.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Sure, they have been dogshit at it, what with talking out loud about how they will totally do X then talking out loud about how X was so beneficial to them. However how many average people do you know that think Ukraine blew up the dam?

I don't know anyone. Everyone that's not a tankie I've ever met is angry at Russia for blowing up the dam.

It does not matter if they're dogshit. It does not matter if they put out a postage stamp celebrating them doing something. The media machine says Russia did it, and almost everyone will believe Russia did it. Zelensky could go on CNN and say "I will not blow up the nuclear power plant in hopes of causing NATO intervention", then put out a postage stamp with a big cartoony mushroom cloud and a thumbs up, and Western media will immediately post articles about how Russia causing a nuclear explosion is tantamount to nuclear war and it's time for NATO to go in.

You know this is true because right before Western media spent several months posting weekly about Russia attacking the nuclear power plant, Zelensky went on the news and said "I will attack the power plant".

It's not like they can just press a button and blow it up. It's a nuclear power plant, it's pretty big and blowing it up would take pretty noticeable bombing or artillery barrages and it would be extremely easy to prove who did it. It's not a good candidate for a false flag attack
A lot of the structures are hardened as well

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

It's not like they can just press a button and blow it up. It's a nuclear power plant, it's pretty big and blowing it up would take pretty noticeable bombing or artillery barrages and it would be extremely east to prove who did it. It's not a good candidate for a false flag attack

I think Zeppelin Insanity did a pretty good job explaining why that's not the case. Remember the story for months was that Russia was shelling that same plant while their own troops occupied it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The thing Ukraine needs is now cars:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1675579421753847808

so that's a great sign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's just nuts to me, because it seems like supporting Ukraine should lead you to a pretty well-justified "stabbed in the back" narrative regarding NATO.

Not if there are a lot of die hard nazis that wont let you pivot there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why are they taking cars from drunk drivers

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

For Freedom :911:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I think Zeppelin Insanity did a pretty good job explaining why that's not the case. Remember the story for months was that Russia was shelling that same plant while their own troops occupied it.

I don't know if that kinda obvious bullshit is going to bamboozle the rest of nato into doing something other than subsidizing their weapons companies by giving ukraine tanks to wreck, though. I don't think public opinion really matters for those kinda decisions

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The thing Ukraine needs is now cars:

so that's a great sign.
That was news months ago, but good to see someone keeping their promises.

Edit: https://www.la.lv/latvijas-dzerajsoferiem-konfiscetos-auto-vares-nodot-ukrainas-armijai

18:32, 16 February 2023

Latvian drunk drivers will be able to hand over their confiscated cars to the Ukrainian army

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Jul 3, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Neither side is going to intentionally blow up the ZPP. Ukraine isn't going to permanently irradiate an area that's economically vital to their future, and Russia isn't going to do it either because they stand to make a shitton of money by integrating it into their federation. The only scenario in which either side would blow up the plant is if they were certain they were losing and were going to permanently lose that territory. Every bit of evidence I've seen suggests to me that both sides believe 100% that they are winning this war. That belief may or may not reflect reality, but it's pretty clearly what both Ukraine and Russia believe.

In the meantime, NATO isn't going to intervene directly even if the plant blows up. NATO can't even get Turkey and Hungary to let Sweden into the alliance. They're not going to reach a consensus to start WWIII with Russia in earnest probably under any circumstance short of a direct invasion of NATO member-states. Ukraine keeps saying that there's going to be a Russian terrorist attack because they're hoping it will distract from the glacial pace of the counteroffensive and keep bringing in NATO support.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1675945029141970945?s=20

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol he said it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hatebag posted:

It's not like they can just press a button and blow it up. It's a nuclear power plant, it's pretty big and blowing it up would take pretty noticeable bombing or artillery barrages and it would be extremely easy to prove who did it. It's not a good candidate for a false flag attack
A lot of the structures are hardened as well

Remember when it was the Russians shelling the powerplant that they were currently occupying

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Remember when it was the Russians shelling the powerplant that they were currently occupying

Everyone's eyes are on the ZPP right now. There are IAEA inspectors present. Unless it's such a thorough attack that it kills literally everybody at the plant and in the area I don't think a false flag shelling that blows up the plant is going to be as easy as you're making it seem.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Neither side is going to intentionally blow up the ZPP. Ukraine isn't going to permanently irradiate an area that's economically vital to their future, and Russia isn't going to do it either because they stand to make a shitton of money by integrating it into their federation. The only scenario in which either side would blow up the plant is if they were certain they were losing and were going to permanently lose that territory. Every bit of evidence I've seen suggests to me that both sides believe 100% that they are winning this war. That belief may or may not reflect reality, but it's pretty clearly what both Ukraine and Russia believe.

In the meantime, NATO isn't going to intervene directly even if the plant blows up. NATO can't even get Turkey and Hungary to let Sweden into the alliance. They're not going to reach a consensus to start WWIII with Russia in earnest probably under any circumstance short of a direct invasion of NATO member-states. Ukraine keeps saying that there's going to be a Russian terrorist attack because they're hoping it will distract from the glacial pace of the counteroffensive and keep bringing in NATO support.

Just because the Ukrianians keep publicly saying their victory is inevitable doesn't mean there aren't people who know they're losing, and that their only hope is NATO winning the war for them. And sure maybe NATO is lying and has no intention of helping Ukraine even if it does go up in a cloud of smoke. We're dealing with people that also beleived Boris loving Johnson when he told them they could beat the Russians with Western Wunderwaffe and the How to Defeat the Russian BTG.

The Ukrianians are more likely to do something very stupid to the plant, than the French riots are going to accomplish anything

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

KomradeX posted:

That was a couple shells falling on the nearby coal plant's waste and starting a fire, wasn't it? Destroying the nuke plant would take sustained barrages or bombardment. It just doesn't seem likely and also it wouldn't accomplish anything.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Everyone's eyes are on the ZPP right now. There are IAEA inspectors present. Unless it's such a thorough attack that it kills literally everybody at the plant and in the area I don't think a false flag shelling that blows up the plant is going to be as easy as you're making it seem.

And the Western media will.just say the Russians did it and people will continue to think the Russians did it and whoever at the IAEA says it was caused by Ukriane will be presnted as if Hans Blix was a. Putin Puppet

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Remember when the Russian decided to shell the area while IAEA was visiting the power plant?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01/europe/ukraine-zaporizhzhia-iaea-inspectors-intl/index.html

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
A lot of the logic that prevents Nazis from blowing up the ZPP is also the logic that would stop Nazis from destroying an entire generation of working age men or blowing up the Kakhovka Dam.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Remember when the Russian decided to shell the area while IAEA was visiting the power plant?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01/europe/ukraine-zaporizhzhia-iaea-inspectors-intl/index.html

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Maybe they were trying to use the mortars behind the building but they forget they have an arc.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Just because the Ukrianians keep publicly saying their victory is inevitable doesn't mean there aren't people who know they're losing, and that their only hope is NATO winning the war for them.

That may be true, but they don't seem to have reached the point where they're sure they're going to lose this territory permanently. If they were at that point, they wouldn't be persisting with this counteroffensive.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

A lot of the logic that prevents Nazis from blowing up the ZPP is also the logic that would stop Nazis from destroying an entire generation of working age men or blowing up the Kakhovka Dam.

The Kakhovka Dam blowing up hasn't precluded any chance of either side benefitting economically from the region. Blowing up the ZPP a la Chernobyl likely would.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

the second half of that sentence is also them claiming the russians were shelling the approaching iaea team. you know the team they let enter the plant they control and worked with and then let leave peacefully.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don’t know if the Ukrainian government not being nuts is the strongest rationale.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t know if the Ukrainian government not being nuts is the strongest rationale.

I don't think they would have done as well as they have so far if they were as out-of-touch with reality as you or others are assuming. That's not to say they've done EXTREMELY well, just that their performance in this war doesn't suggest that they're quite that degree of stupid.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Majorian posted:

That may be true, but they don't seem to have reached the point where they're sure they're going to lose this territory permanently. If they were at that point, they wouldn't be persisting with this counteroffensive.

The Kakhovka Dam blowing up hasn't precluded any chance of either side benefitting economically from the region. Blowing up the ZPP a la Chernobyl likely would.

it supplied crimea with water - it was extremely damaging to the region, both economically and, more importantly, to the people living there

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vomik posted:

it supplied crimea with water - it was extremely damaging to the region, both economically and, more importantly, to the people living there

I never suggested otherwise. Irradiating the whole region would be an entirely different degree of economic damage, however.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

I don't think they would have done as well as they have so far if they were as out-of-touch with reality as you or others are assuming. That's not to say they've done EXTREMELY well, just that their performance in this war doesn't suggest that they're quite that degree of stupid.

They have been mostly running through bodies man.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

Counterpoint: Ukrainian government management is sending wave after wave of people to their deaths knowingly in order to launder definitely use Western funds for the intended purposes and definitely not to use Zelinsky's offshore shell companies IDd in Pandora Papers to prepare retirement abroad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

They have been mostly running through bodies man.

And yet morale has not collapsed, there haven't been any significant Russian breakthroughs in a year, there's not much evidence of mass Ukrainian desertions, etc. If we start seeing that happen in the near future and it looks like the Russians are going to swamp the Ukrainians in the area, who knows, maybe they will blow up the plant. But right now things are at a stalemate, with both sides believing that they're not losing. So they're not going to intentionally blow up the plant.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Counterpoint: Ukrainian government management is sending wave after wave of people to their deaths knowingly in order to launder definitely use Western funds for the intended purposes and definitely not to use Zelinsky's offshore shell companies IDd in Pandora Papers to prepare retirement abroad.

All this proves is that they're bad, unethical people who don't care about expending lives if it helps guarantee their political survival, which, hey, huge surprise to everyone in this thread I'm sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

why are they taking cars from drunk drivers

so they don't spill their drink

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

All this proves is that they're bad, unethical people who don't care about expending lives if it helps guarantee their political survival, which, hey, huge surprise to everyone in this thread I'm sure.

It actually proves that poor schmucks are getting gibbed purely to enrich management and that sending folks to get gibbed is not indicative of management's view of anything other than maximizing their Cayman bank accounts. They'll persist on a meaningless counteroffensive to keep getting funds to skim/launder. HTH.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

It actually proves that poor schmucks are getting gibbed purely to enrich management and that sending folks to get gibbed is not indicative of management's view of anything other than maximizing their Cayman bank accounts. They'll persist on a meaningless counteroffensive to keep getting funds to skim/launder. HTH.

So...literally what I said, in other words. Okay, thanks for that insight.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

And yet morale has not collapsed, there haven't been any significant Russian breakthroughs in a year, there's not much evidence of mass Ukrainian desertions, etc. If we start seeing that happen in the near future and it looks like the Russians are going to swamp the Ukrainians in the area, who knows, maybe they will blow up the plant. But right now things are at a stalemate, with both sides believing that they're not losing. So they're not going to intentionally blow up the plant.

I don’t think morale not collapsing yet is indicative of much beyond the war isn’t over yet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I don’t think morale not collapsing yet is indicative of much beyond the war isn’t over yet.

Which is precisely my point. As long as this stalemate persists, why would either side make a desperate move that made one of the most economically viable regions in the country suddenly economically barren?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Hell it took the French 3 years for morale to collapse during the Great War. Though the fact of mass deseration and refugees fleeing kind of indicates it has collapsed for the civilians who don't want to die either for what was the most corrupt country in Europe or for a government thats become obviously too political while the soliders at the front seem to be big fans of people who were political in Germany in the 30s and 40s

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

So...literally what I said, in other words. Okay, thanks for that insight.

Nah, you wrote:

Majorian posted:

Management doesn't give a poo poo about whether or not they will lose territory permanently based on their embezzlement/laundering, so the counteroffensive being run is not dependent on any actual level of anticipating to get back what they've lost, but rather a means to get Uncle Sam, Grandpa EU, etc. to keep funneling funds to them to launder by showing they're 'doing something'.

You can admit you're wrong, champ.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah, you wrote:

Management doesn't give a poo poo about whether or not they will lose territory permanently based on their embezzlement/laundering, so the counteroffensive being run is not dependent on any actual level of anticipating to get back what they've lost, but rather a means to get Uncle Sam, Grandpa EU, etc. to keep funneling funds to them to launder by showing they're 'doing something'.

Permanently writing off important economic ground to fill their pockets sounds like an awfully good way to get couped by whichever ambitious generals aren't in on the grift, something that Z would probably like to avoid.

quote:

You can admit you're wrong, champ.

Your monitor is off.:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Majorian posted:

The IAEA has not once called out ukraine by name when shellings happen. I genuinely think that if they cause a meltdown on the plant the IAEA will not take a side on who caused it, just letting the western narrative take place until ukraine has to be thrown under the bus.