Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the main thing I remember about ff15 was you could mod your own songs into the car radio and it was like "ACT 2 - OVERCOMING DESPAIR" or something and it was raining and they were all driving in grim silence and the whole time in da club was blasting out of the stereo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

13 has a fun combat system but it takes ages for the game to let you actually engage with it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

also magic came in grenade form in ff15 that was fun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

also magic came in grenade form in ff15 that was fun

i thought the magic system in 15 sucked but accidentally tazing your entire party with thundaga was pretty funny

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Buck Wildman posted:

the main thing I remember about ff15 was you could mod your own songs into the car radio and it was like "ACT 2 - OVERCOMING DESPAIR" or something and it was raining and they were all driving in grim silence and the whole time in da club was blasting out of the stereo

having a sad? lemme just interrupt the anime to crowbar in a loving commercial for some egregiously bad product placement.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the cup noodles sidequest is a masterpiece

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Builders 1 legit has my favorite plot and protagonist in the entire dragon quest series.

I'm still enjoying ff16 but it still doesn't really feel like a proper final fantasy. It feels like somebody commissioned platinum or team ninja to do a ff14 spin off.

The builders 1 gimmick is so cool, the sequel doesn't seem to match that but it has enough new stuff to make it fun

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
planetside 2 mod for battlebit imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

planetside 2 mod for battlebit imo

make it planetside 1

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm playing ocarina of time on the 3ds finally after owning it for like a decade and dang, these games were always horny, it's not just BOTW and TOTK. Link's got bitches in every single region in the game plus Zelda/Sheikh, and NPCs are sexually harassing him just like botw

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
beat Tyranny. it's the kind of game with multiple paths that you're supposed to play through several times, but I don't know if I will. mild recommend if you know you will like that kind of game.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
even tho no one probably cares, i'm going to post about D4.

i actually love the game, i was surprised that it was as good as it was and that i actually cared about the story and the characters. not a lot, but a little bit. plus the fact that i knew immediately that Lorath was voiced by the guy who played Chris Finch in the UK version of The Office made me happy right off the bat, and the voice acting is (mostly) pretty fantastic. the end-game poo poo is pretty meh so far, but it's actually better than i was expecting.

the one thing that really irritated me was that they set up this idea that you'd have to choose between Lilith and Mephisto, or Lilith and the Knights Penitent, or maybe both - which would have made sense for setting up the PVP element of the game. instead, both Lilith and Mephisto make some really good points about how you're actually being kind of an idiot for opposing them, and then the writers force you to completely ignore that and do ... whatever. given the choice, i would gladly have sided with Lilith, she's generally a sympathetic character and again, she makes good points about why you're actually just loving Sanctuary over and perpetuating a forever-war by opposing her.

like, that would have just had so much potential to make the game more interesting, and it wouldn't exactly have taken genius writing to work out how to still make the in-game world make sense. instead we got what i was expecting to get in the first place, which is a completely unsatisfying ending that was basically just a setup for the inevitable DLC.

oh poo poo, that's actually the other thing i really didn't like now that i think about it: the boss fights are loving boring. really, really boring. and cheap, because the hit detection is garbage for AoE attacks, and everything is so dark that sometimes i just wouldn't have any idea that a ranged add was shooting the gently caress out of me until i'd already had to blow multiple potions wondering why the hell i was randomly taking damage. the Lilith fight, and really everything leading up to it is particularly bad in that respect. when you finally do fight her, and they draw that poo poo out for way too long. it made me laugh that you get back to the temple with Lorath and his response to some cannon-fodder knights trying to take you into custody is something like "Oh, will this never end?!" which was also my exact loving thought at that point lol

but i actually do think it's a fantastic game despite that poo poo. really everything else about it is pretty top notch imo. and, yes wendy's drive thru i know but i wanted to complain

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

the cup noodles sidequest is a masterpiece

:yeah:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

make it planetside 1

that's just when you play on an empty server at 4 in the morning and capture all the towers

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

project gorgon, the bizarre labor of love early access for ten years MMO developed by three people, is finally on a steep enough sale to merit purchasing so I grabbed it. looking forward to seeing what the world the eccentric weirdos involved have built

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

that's just when you play on an empty server at 4 in the morning and capture all the towers

:hai:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"we're being overrun! grab a g-"
"whoa whoa, buddy, i deliver nanites and i deliver AMS, you have your rooty tooty shooty fun, i'm union and i got 6 years left til pension and i'm outta this hell hole."

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

let's play battlebits

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

NVM not currently home

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what weapons are people using in Dave the Diver?

ive been using Gravity Grenade Launcher and it kicks rear end, maybe the best gun ive crafted so far since it stunlocks entire groups and you can just poo poo out a whole clip in a chain reaction

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

what weapons are people using in Dave the Diver?

ive been using Gravity Grenade Launcher and it kicks rear end, maybe the best gun ive crafted so far since it stunlocks entire groups and you can just poo poo out a whole clip in a chain reaction

It's so good, really wrecks the fish tho and isn't too great against anything you'd need a real weapon for tho

I usually rock the shotgun if I'm not brining the nets or darts. It's really not ideal at all lol, I have way more luck with my harpoon honestly and the shotgun fills the only other big niche the harpoon can't fill.

Whenever I stumble on a tranq hook whatever I was doing is thrown away and I'm big game hunting. I wish the dart gun was better because collecting them alive is just so much more profitable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

It's so good, really wrecks the fish tho and isn't too great against anything you'd need a real weapon for tho

I usually rock the shotgun if I'm not brining the nets or darts. It's really not ideal at all lol, I have way more luck with my harpoon honestly and the shotgun fills the only other big niche the harpoon can't fill.

Whenever I stumble on a tranq hook whatever I was doing is thrown away and I'm big game hunting. I wish the dart gun was better because collecting them alive is just so much more profitable.
hmmmmm. ive found it's so far pretty good for big sharks just to unload 5 rounds and they pop while throwing harpoons at em. but yeah. tranq hook owns, im hoping i can craft new harpoon tips that are permanent

i guess i'll play around with seeing if crafting a tranq rifle or something is any good. my issue with nets is they don't seem to work on most things you'd want to net. i havent really tried darts too much

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i guess battlebit is a kb+m thing? still a steam deck question mark perhaps

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
anticheat doesn't run on linux iirc. it'd be a masochist dream to play it with a controller, unless ur using a kb/m bluetooth lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its very funny to be an old b*tch and still get 3:1 on pure urban maps. a lot of getting good at the game is making sure not to drop your guard until you know you're clear. dudes just get wiped every time they assume their squadmate has their back.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
*slowly typing out my post on the steam deck touch keyboard* lol yeah that would be crazy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

hmmmmm. ive found it's so far pretty good for big sharks just to unload 5 rounds and they pop while throwing harpoons at em. but yeah. tranq hook owns, im hoping i can craft new harpoon tips that are permanent

i guess i'll play around with seeing if crafting a tranq rifle or something is any good. my issue with nets is they don't seem to work on most things you'd want to net. i havent really tried darts too much

Yeah I've got a lot of hopes pinned on the hunting rifle shining as a knockout gun. Nets are good for stocking the pond but not much else. I've made a ton of cash bagging and tagging big stuff but it only works with a couple rare items.

My sushi bar is extremely optimized tho, I generally just collect everything I see then make a mix of whatever is most expensive and didnt start using auto-supply until like 12 hours in lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

My sushi bar is extremely optimized tho, I generally just collect everything I see then make a mix of whatever is most expensive and didnt start using auto-supply until like 12 hours in lol

oh yeah ive wasted so much food just loading the menu to max items without realizing you lose all unsold menu until like only recently. i lost so much of those 600-500g boss sushis by overloading my menu

but thats how i run my sushi bar too.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

battlebints

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
battleborts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the milk machine posted:

*slowly typing out my post on the steam deck touch keyboard* lol yeah that would be crazy

i was wrong and apparently it does work, but they were looking at another anticheat that might fuckup linux. but also looking at being able to split the difference and have community servers that can chose to use eac lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished Crying Suns with the suicide drone ship. In the end it really didn't have the longevity of FTL. Half way through the story I felt I'd already seen anything the game has to show with all events being repeats and all the special officers just being rare drops from the same events didn't feel great. Plot was whatever. Still, probably the best FTL like?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tranq rifle is very good, that upgrade brings it from zero to hero. Great damage, big magazine, good range, and every shot is 40% chance to either tag and bag something big or just get some free hits in, and it packs a punch with 8 rounds at 30 damage each. Good for getting things alive to stock the pool, which I'm rapidly filling with sharks and big rear end fish. Think it's probably going to become what I almost always bring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tranq guns in games seem to be either useless or busted.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tranq guns in games seem to be either useless or busted.

It's the same way with fist weapons, nobody knows how to balance stuff like that and maybe there isnt a way to with how most games are designed and what players expect from them.

This doesnt feel busted at all tho, just the first weapon that I felt was really worth upgrading. It's a good generalist weapon despite making some minor tradeoffs for a really good debuff that is mainly good because of the restaurant aspect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Epic High Five posted:

It's the same way with fist weapons, nobody knows how to balance stuff like that and maybe there isnt a way to with how most games are designed and what players expect from them.

This doesnt feel busted at all tho, just the first weapon that I felt was really worth upgrading. It's a good generalist weapon despite making some minor tradeoffs for a really good debuff that is mainly good because of the restaurant aspect.

I think both are just cases of things developers include because they feel they have to rather than actually taking a good hard look at how they fit into the overall design and flow of the gameplay.

Games have a loooot of poo poo like that especially nowadays. There's a reason all the best recieved games are the ones who tend to strip away complexity rather than add it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Tranq rifle is very good, that upgrade brings it from zero to hero. Great damage, big magazine, good range, and every shot is 40% chance to either tag and bag something big or just get some free hits in, and it packs a punch with 8 rounds at 30 damage each. Good for getting things alive to stock the pool, which I'm rapidly filling with sharks and big rear end fish. Think it's probably going to become what I almost always bring.

the tranq underwater rifle or the tranq gun?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I’m about ten hours into Dave the Diver, it’s super charming. It’s fun to stock your restaurant management game with whatever you happened to find in your ocean exploration game. It’s kind of like what I hoped cult of the lamb would be, the two games compliment each other and are both fun, so it doesn’t feel like “ah gently caress I gotta go do dungeon runs until I find enough enchanted slime to fix this guy’s tent.” It might turn into that later, but so far it feels like everything advances some goal, so doing whatever you feel like doing is usually fine.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the most important thing a Multiplayer game can have going for it is that "It Just Works."

I tried to play that free call of duty thing and it made me download like a hundred gigs and then demanded my phone number. This is considered to be normal, this is what they want you to do. I said no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I run the sniper rifle in Dave the Diver because its satisfying to see big numbers when you headshot a big fish

Currently at the stealth infiltration of the Sea Blue base and lol, lmao at the animations, I think they make Dave get fatter as the game goes on.