Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jhh
Nov 2, 2006

Clever Saying Goes here

post hole digger posted:

havin a horrible time breaking in some scarpa zodiacs right now. right foot fits perfect, left foot is possibly the least comfortable shoe or boot i've ever worn. no idea what the issue is and its really frustrating. i've noticed a little bit of heel slip but at the same time one or the other side of my arch feel like its getting crushed. it was the inner side saturday, today it was the outer side. tried a set of insoles that seemed to make it worse. maybe they'll need to go back to rei. been keeping the break in hikes short -- just 2 to 3 miles and ~400-500 ft elevation change, but could barely finish today.

it seems like the lil bit of heel slip i'm having is causing my foot to flex more than the (very stiff) sole of the boot, and that might be causing some of the pain, then if i try to tighten the lacing, it just crushes the sides of my foot. i dunno. maybe just not the right boot for me.

You too huh? I tried a pair of Scarpa Zodiacs a few months back and they were awful. My heels slipped constantly, even after three or four easy'ish hikes the suede above the soles was getting gouged up by rocks, and the instep was way too low... but at least the toebox wasn't poo poo (looking at you, La Sportiva). I gave them back to REI after several attempts at breaking them in.

I wound up with a pair of Lowa Caminos (with different insoles) in the end and they're loving amazing for comfort. The only downsides apart from the pricing is it's very easy to overtighten the laces, they're heavy, and the original insoles were quite bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm trying to decide between these two tents:

https://www.rei.com/product/174091/...217890011037038

https://www.rei.com/product/164366/...217890009604276

I'm really looking for easy setup, as the number one priority. I got some physical challenges that make setting up a traditional tent hard. I think I can handle these if they really are as easy as a popup. I have a pop up but it is basically just big enough to lay in.

I tried just doing a hammock last year but got scared and slept in my car. I am thinking maybe a tent that I can at least set up in may be easier to deal with and I already have a pad and a sleeping bag and all that stuff that I had planned to use before I swerved towards hammocks.

I'm in Arizona but it will be one of the cooler parts of the state.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Rick posted:

I'm really looking for easy setup, as the number one priority. I got some physical challenges that make setting up a traditional tent hard. I think I can handle these if they really are as easy as a popup. I have a pop up but it is basically just big enough to lay in.

I tried just doing a hammock last year but got scared and slept in my car. I am thinking maybe a tent that I can at least set up in may be easier to deal with and I already have a pad and a sleeping bag and all that stuff that I had planned to use before I swerved towards hammocks.

You can usually find YouTube videos of people setting up any given big name tent. Maybe check out those if particular setup methods might be difficult for you.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Both of those look like they have a pretty typical backpacking tent setup - pop the poles into a grommet or something similar at each corner, then attach the tent with the hooks to the poles. I find this to be a pretty easy setup method, and much prefer it to the old sleeve style my family’s old tent had. Without knowing what physical limitations you have, I’ll say that it could potentially be difficult to set up if you have difficulty grasping (the hooks can be small and may need some force to pull them up because of the tension you’re creating).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

incogneato posted:

You can usually find YouTube videos of people setting up any given big name tent. Maybe check out those if particular setup methods might be difficult for you.

Thanks, yeah good call.

Freaquency posted:

Both of those look like they have a pretty typical backpacking tent setup - pop the poles into a grommet or something similar at each corner, then attach the tent with the hooks to the poles. I find this to be a pretty easy setup method, and much prefer it to the old sleeve style my family’s old tent had. Without knowing what physical limitations you have, I’ll say that it could potentially be difficult to set up if you have difficulty grasping (the hooks can be small and may need some force to pull them up because of the tension you’re creating).

Thank you, that's helpful. I think I should be handle grasping, most of my issues are endurance based, and things requiring precision hand movements. For me the challenges in getting a traditional tent up have been getting the poles through the sleeves, and then supporting the physical structure alone as it goes up. My hope is snapping the cloth to a pre-assembled structure will be a lot easier, and I can do more of the work from one position instead of having to get up and get down as often.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rick posted:

Thanks, yeah good call.

Thank you, that's helpful. I think I should be handle grasping, most of my issues are endurance based, and things requiring precision hand movements. For me the challenges in getting a traditional tent up have been getting the poles through the sleeves, and then supporting the physical structure alone as it goes up. My hope is snapping the cloth to a pre-assembled structure will be a lot easier, and I can do more of the work from one position instead of having to get up and get down as often.

Without knowing how you set tents up already or completely understanding your limitations, here's my method for setting up my tents. It's greatly eased my camp pitching routine since I'm often dealing with wind or helping others with their tents.
1. Stake in all corners of footprint.
2. Lay out tent, loop to stakes. The tent is now solidly attached to the ground and the corners are set where they'll be for the duration of the night.
3. Get all poles into corner grommets. They'll now be in the shape of a tent skeleton, with the tent body piled on the ground below.
4. Hook center peak of tent to all poles. Now the very apex of the tent is hanging from your pole skeleton and you can step back and admire it.
5. Connect the rest of the hooks at your leisure.
6. Put on rainfly.
7. Stake guylines.

This only works with tents that don't have pole sleeves, which I hate passionately. But it's very effective because by having all corners staked in first, you're not fighting the wind or you can just stop at any point and set everything down and rest without worrying about it blowing away or falling apart. Think about building a house: foundation -> frame -> walls -> roof. You don't build the roof of a house first and then try to hold it up while building the walls up under it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rick posted:

Tents like the ones you linked are more straightforward to set up than ones where you have to snake the poles through sleeves, and yeah, they let you set up the poles then attach the inner/fly.

Trekking pole/vertical pole supported tents are also easier to set up, since you just stake the corners with the tent flat on the ground, then prop up it up with 1-2 straight poles. Personally I find these the simplest to set up when I'm tired, or with gloves on, or in cold/bad weather. One disadvantage of these is that they aren't freestanding, and have to be staked pretty much right at the corner positions, so if you are in soil that doesn't take a stake well, and don't like using rocks/bags as anchors, a freestanding tent is more forgiving in that regard.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I think I managed to track down the discontinued Nemo Wagontop 6 Person, then went crazy and bought it. I'll let you know if it actually arrives and if I need to sell some securities to pay for it.

Going to be doing a poo poo load of car camping in the next while on account of our little baby not really being fit for the backcountry yet. This weekend broke our back, literally, as we were shambling in and out of our super cheap, but actually decent, pop up four person dome tent with a max height of 5'8" and like way smaller to get into. I'm 6'2" and it sucks in general to do anything in that tent. I don't mind the lack of space if it's an ultralight backpacking tent, we own a Nemo Dragonfly 3P, but if were car camping let's get something that actually works. Hopefully the store I ordered it from isn't lying and it is actually in stock despite being discontinued. I think I maybe went too far in the other direction. But then again I can already imagine how awesome this setup is gonna be, if the tent actually arrives.

I have been hauling our baby around in an also fairly pricy Deuter Kid Comfort, and besides a couple niggles that I don't like it's been really great. The first niggle is that the right side strap seems to chafe, but this could be uset error and more investigation is required. The next niggle is that the baby canopy hits my head as I walk, this I think I can rig something up to give extra clearance. The worst is that the mesh padding on the hips will eat the vent zippers of my gore-tex jacket. This is probably product specific and probably won't happen with your jacket, but it does with mine. So taking off the baby truck with said jacket requires just a little bit extra. If I plan to wear that jacket and this baby hauler I'm just going to tape the zippers down. Otherwise it also holds a good amount of crap, which will make it just useful in general even if I'm not taking the baby bushwhacking.

also its worth mentioning that because you have no idea where your baby's face is in relation to branches, and that if you try to duck and hunch you actually propel your child even further into the line of fire, its often just easier to flip it around and use it as a front carrier if the branches get really lovely. its not easy, but its easier than the anxiety of worrying about your kid getting donked or poked.

currently training with a 20 lbs baby in order to haul a 30 lbs baby

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 28, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive got the Osprey Poco+ and its been great for hauling around a baby. No complaints at all. Has a nice pocket underneath to stash a decent amount of extra stuff and a little mesh pocket to stick a jacket or something. My kid also really likes the sun shade, and has fallen asleep hiking along several times now.

Probably not a big enough reason to go out and buy the Poco but if you ever get fed up with the Dueter I'd consider it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I also really like our Osprey Poco(+?). It was a huge upgrade from hiking with the ergo when our first kid was 1.5 and I wish we had gotten it sooner - I'm sure the same is true of other kid packs too. Now we have it for when baby #2 grows into it.

As a bonus you can strap a bunch of poo poo to the bar at the bottom for backpacking

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Thirding the Osprey Poco even as a stroller alternative tbh. It's like byo high chair.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Deuter has that bar too, never though about just attaching even more crap to it. Gets plenty of use as a makeshift highchair too.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have any recommendations on bags for cast iron skillets? I thought about sewing up an old towel to keep the schmoo off the rest of the kitchen gear, but I dunno if that would soak up moisture and rust out the pan over time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I put mine in a couple of plastic shopping bags -- one on each end. It's not perfect, but it's always been fine. A trash bag would work.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Maybe you could cut and re-sew a silicone treated gun sock? Or otherwise locate similar fabric and use that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I put mine in a couple of plastic shopping bags -- one on each end. It's not perfect, but it's always been fine. A trash bag would work.

+1

Just replace when it's getting worn. Fabric will never not hold grit.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have a recommendation for an ultra-light (to take backpacking) mosquito tent or shelter? My daughter has turned into a teenager, so we are trying to make accommodations for her on our trips. I see a lot of options for these, but was looking for one that won’t add much weight and can fit over maybe two chairs? She’ll have to carry it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you consider 4 lbs as light enough, I'd recommend Tom Claytor's Mosquito Hammock. 150USD and it comes with an okay fly (diamond cut isn't everybody's jam) and integrated bugnet. It's double layered so a z-sol fits perfectly underneath, and is exceptionally durable. Only bad thing I have to say is that the straps suck, which was easily cured with an aftermarket set.

You can buy the hammock by itself for like $80? if you already have a tarp. Weighs about 40oz.

My lightweight hammock isnt as comfortable and way less durable which is sometimes worth the ~20oz weight difference, but sounds like it'd be good for your use as described.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 3, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks.

I think 4 lbs is too much. We are already overloaded as it is because the kids still can’t carry too much. Was looking more for a mosquito net drape or something so my kids could have it around them when they’re just sitting at camp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you've got trees to hang the net from, you can get enough shelter for 1 person at around half a pound.

Coghlan makes a few options for example.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm sure you can find some cheap mosquito netting which will probably weigh like 500g, but the best bet is to just go for full skin coverage with clothes and a headnet. Also just buckets of DEET.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Paria Outdoors makes a good bug tent, you could throw a tarp over it in a pinch too.

Comedy option, get her a bivvy sack.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I'm just going to do this, and then slip it into a canvas bag.

Actually pulled the trigger on a Lodge carbon steel skillet to try and save a couple of pounds in the gear bin. Still has a nice heft, but should be a lot easier to work with while still building up a nice nonstick layer.

Also in the kitchen department, I recently stumbled across these Coleman portable stovetop ovens and I couldn't resist picking one up!

While I still love my Dutch oven, this might be a nice way to get some baked goods on trips without a campfire, or if I'm using a propane firepit. This thing is just aluminum and it folds down pretty well, and can handle a quarter sheet pan or tray. Though, it'll be interesting to see how well that works keeping a consistent temp on a propane camp stove

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

newts posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an ultra-light (to take backpacking) mosquito tent or shelter? My daughter has turned into a teenager, so we are trying to make accommodations for her on our trips. I see a lot of options for these, but was looking for one that won’t add much weight and can fit over maybe two chairs? She’ll have to carry it.
If you're willing to spend the money and it has to be freestanding, Hilleberg make a few variations on what you want: https://hilleberg.com/eng/shelters/

xzzy posted:

If you've got trees to hang the net from, you can get enough shelter for 1 person at around half a pound.
Otherwise yeah, a bunch of companies make something similar to this, just pick whatever is available and cheap where you are:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I'm doing an extended offshore race in Hawaii and need a dry bag for my gear riding on the chase boat. It's probably a day pack sized worth of gear but I want it to be tough so my existing stuff sucks will not work.

Does anyone have a go-to?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Trip report: I ended up just using my pop up tent. It was bigger that I remembered and quite comfortable. Unfortunately my self-inflating pad....did not want to self-inflate and my primary problem is "lungs don't work" so I could not inflate it. I guess I should have tried it out during the last four years since bought it. Maybe I should just get one of those paco pads everyone talks about here.

I should have practiced putting the tent away more though, because, well, I couldn't, and eventually snapped it trying, so rips to that.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

newts posted:

If you just search for "mesh inner tent" there are a lot of options. I think the main issue you will have is finding something tall enough to fit chairs into, but there are probably some options.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I'm doing an extended offshore race in Hawaii and need a dry bag for my gear riding on the chase boat. It's probably a day pack sized worth of gear but I want it to be tough so my existing stuff sucks will not work.

M2M or M2O? Prone, SUP, Canoe, Foil? :) I would just pick one of these dry bag's or dry duffles.

https://needessentials.com/en-us/collections/bags

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Hdip posted:

M2M or M2O? Prone, SUP, Canoe, Foil? :) I would just pick one of these dry bag's or dry duffles.

https://needessentials.com/en-us/collections/bags

Molokai Holokai. Foil. I'm a little freaked out.
Plan was to shove the stuff I don't carry on the race in a dry bag and shove that in my board bag for the presumably wet ride to Molokai.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
RAD! What foil and board? Where can I completely hijack this thread and discuss foil racing :)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Hdip posted:

RAD! What foil and board? Where can I completely hijack this thread and discuss foil racing :)

I'm wing foiling on an Armstrong 60l board with a MA1225 or MA1000 foil and 85cm mast. I use f one wings.

My race experience is generally I'm in the back but I finished in some fun sized swell between Hawaii Kai and Kaimanas near Diamond Head.

This race is 27 miles though.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
James Casey on M2O: "If you make it to the starting line you've won!" Ok thread derail over. Taking it to PM. :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mercury Ballistic posted:

NRS Bills Bag. Smallest is 65L I think. But they pack tight and have shoulder straps. Very tough.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I don't know what you've got planned for tonight, Homer, but count me out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B71N3FSL/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ACRE & EQUAT fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 5, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Everyone seems to know a lot about REI here, so I'm gonna ask - do the 20% coupons they give out a few time a year apply to rooftop cargo boxes? I think roof racks are excluded, but I don't remember the specifics.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Everyone seems to know a lot about REI here, so I'm gonna ask - do the 20% coupons they give out a few time a year apply to rooftop cargo boxes? I think roof racks are excluded, but I don't remember the specifics.

Worked for me when I bought one last year

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

drat, next one isn't until November. I guess if I pay full price I get a dividend anyway.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

FogHelmut posted:

drat, next one isn't until November. I guess if I pay full price I get a dividend anyway.

A lot of roof rack shops (e.g. Rack and Road out west) will rent a rooftop cargo box if you just need it for a couple days before the next big REI coupon.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah don't forget that REI is basically 10% off all the time. So for a $600 roof box you're looking at either $60 off now, or $120 off later. Doesn't sound as bad as 120 off vs 0 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

These posts made me realize I've pretty much never paid full price at REI. Between the outlet, various sales and member promos my current dividend balance is $0.00.