Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those work perfectly fine when installed correctly. You might want to grab a new poly washer, but yes, tightening it might solve it leak altogether.

If none of those walls are exterior walls, how do you feel air under the slab? Is somebody digging under it? That concrete slab should be 4" thick and much more at the outside perimeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would come in from under the kitchen sink and leave an access panel there.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

My guess is it's not a "draft" but just feels cooler due to the ground temp being below air temp. I've never seen a reason to block them off other than just an access panel or wtvr. Especially if for some reason you ever need access to that plumbing removing foam or sand would be rather annoying.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd fill it with small rocks (gravel, smooth stones) and put maybe the thinnest coat of Sackrete over it. That way, if you / anyone needs to get back down in there for some reason, just pop it with a hammer & use a wet-vac to remove the stones for access.

I did this when building my garage to hide the water/sewer/cable/electric/phone I was planning to bring into my garage so the code folks would remain unaware. I cut the bottom off of a cat-litter bucket, sunk it 1/2" below the level of the slab that was to be poured, brought up the infrastructure, filled the bucket with rocks & snapped on the lid.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 2, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went through the garage wall and was able to tighten it, which seems to have stopped the leak.

As far as the draft, I'm guessing it's from the radon mitigation system. I lit some incense near the hole and the smoke was definitely getting sucked into it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Starting to repaint the walls/clean out the laundry room and I found this tucked away in the corner behind stuff. What the heck is this? The hot water heater is to the right and the laundry machine is to the left. Both of them have their water inlet/outlet pipes coming from the floor though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

c355n4 posted:

Starting to repaint the walls/clean out the laundry room and I found this tucked away in the corner behind stuff. What the heck is this? The hot water heater is to the right and the laundry machine is to the left. Both of them have their water inlet/outlet pipes coming from the floor though.

That's a cleanout for the sewer line. If you ever have issues with drains clogging you can unscrew that cap, snake it up (vent) and down (sewer) and it should fix you up. I wouldn't touch it unless you have to though because it looks pretty crusty.

e: It probably looks something like this behind the wall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Most likely that's a waste pipe cleanout. Does that location correspond to things like your sewer lateral or some other waste pipes?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

There is a bathroom on the other side of that wall. Good to know that is there I guess. How can I make it nicer or more finished looking? It stands proud of the drywall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

c355n4 posted:

There is a bathroom on the other side of that wall. Good to know that is there I guess. How can I make it nicer or more finished looking? It stands proud of the drywall.

I've seen some drywall access panels that have a raised door. Maybe you can fine one that will clear it?

No affiliation, just the first example I found of the type and variety of thing I'm talking about : https://www.accessdoorsandpanels.com/drywall-access-doors-panels/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, everyone.

Why does my garbage disposal have a washer/fitting made out of what appears to be soft, porous stone:

That is disintegrating:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:stare:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
*extremely TikTok home inspector voice*

It's not supposed to do that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is that a reaction from two incompatible metals fastened together?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The Dave posted:

Yeah, that looks like galvanic corrosion to me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wow I've never seen it happen fast enough to create a little pile of metal dust underneath.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Dave posted:

I wouldn't say they're incompatible, Bob

bred
Oct 24, 2008

c355n4 posted:

I was in a similar situation recently. Mine was crusty and the plumber ended up breaking it out with a chisel. I browsed the plugs at the store and picked a lower profile brass one with a slot instead of the square boss. I filled the gap with mud and painted everything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PurpleXVI posted:

Wow I've never seen it happen fast enough to create a little pile of metal dust underneath.

Yeah that's a pretty insane rate of deterioration. I also wonder if it has a tiny leak and maybe particles from the food are collecting in a drop, drying, and then falling to the cabinet bottom?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have what I hope is a dumb question.

Installing a connection elbow for my shower wand. The requirements are that the nipple is between 1/16 and 3/16 from the face of finished surface. Currently it's at 5/16. If the nipple is MIP threading can I cut this down by a little to make it work? I'm assuming I can because it's straight threaded but I'm just not that confident. It's fully seated in the elbow in the wall which is NPT and I assume this Delta hand wand elbow is also npt but I have no way to measure it.

Edit, I checked the specs and yes te Delta elbows are NPT

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi, everyone.

Why does my garbage disposal have a washer/fitting made out of what appears to be soft, porous stone:

That is disintegrating:

Because it's something that somebody cobbled together from random incompatible parts. The only original part is the washer with the bolts. I would replace the disposal wholesale and route the drain properly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

I have what I hope is a dumb question.

Installing a connection elbow for my shower wand. The requirements are that the nipple is between 1/16 and 3/16 from the face of finished surface. Currently it's at 5/16. If the nipple is MIP threading can I cut this down by a little to make it work? I'm assuming I can because it's straight threaded but I'm just not that confident. It's fully seated in the elbow in the wall which is NPT and I assume this Delta hand wand elbow is also npt but I have no way to measure it.

Edit, I checked the specs and yes te Delta elbows are NPT

Well that was a dumb question. The correct answer to my problem is to get two threaded copper fittings, a scrap of pipe, and sweat my own nipple.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

StormDrain posted:

Well that was a dumb question. The correct answer to my problem is to get two threaded copper fittings, a scrap of pipe, and sweat my own nipple.

Talking about plumbing stuff with people who don't know plumbing stuff must really make us all sound like weird perverts sometimes. :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

The correct answer: Get two threaded copper fittings, a scrap of pipe, and sweat my own nipple.

New thread title

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What's up it's ya boy the clown plumber. Using sweat to npt fittings the shortest nipple I can make is 2-1/4". You'd think I would have checked how long I needed it to be and perhaps checked that out before I left the store I didn't want to go to but alas, I need one about 1-3/4". Back I go to get an inside fitting to match my outside fitting and make the most obnoxious nipple this side of Vegas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Plumbing: make the most obnoxious nipple this side of Vegas.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi, everyone.

That is disintegrating:

Okay, everyone got their jokes in, but you'll probably have to replace the disposal and that pipe. I'm not sure what went wrong, but something is seriously wrong.

You wouldn't happen to be pouring chemicals into this sink at their full, undiluted strength, would you?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Okay, everyone got their jokes in, but you'll probably have to replace the disposal and that pipe. I'm not sure what went wrong, but something is seriously wrong.

You wouldn't happen to be pouring chemicals into this sink at their full, undiluted strength, would you?

Where else would I dispose of my chemicals?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

devicenull posted:

Where else would I dispose of my chemicals?

Dig a hole in your driveway, fill it with gravel, pour the chemicals in, simple.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Dig a hole in your driveway, fill it with gravel, pour the chemicals in, simple.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Isn't that how Times Beach happened?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
My "city" water is super hard. The way my plumbing is in the basement would make it hard to split where I put hard water and softened/filtered water so I'd have to also get decent pressure for outside water for car washing and watering grass.

What is the recommended water filter and softener can I put into my house? I'll probably hire a plumber to install it, anything I should look out for or make sure I do? I know getting bypass valves would be useful but that's about it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

Isn't that how Times Beach happened?

Close. They hired the guy to spray oil on the roads for dust control.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

sharkytm posted:

Close. They hired the guy to spray oil on the roads for dust control.

The whole story is kind of crazy because the guy had been doing it a while for several customers and himself and it only became an issue when a local heavy industrial manufacturing plant "disposed of" their toxic waste by labeling it as used oil and selling it to the guy. So he mixed it with his other used oil and sprayed dusty roads and horse stables with it. When the horses started dying and stable workers got sick they started to figure out what caused it, and it was many years before anyone thought to check the neighborhood roads in the poor part of town.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

The whole story is kind of crazy because the guy had been doing it a while for several customers and himself and it only became an issue when a local heavy industrial manufacturing plant "disposed of" their toxic waste by labeling it as used oil and selling it to the guy. So he mixed it with his other used oil and sprayed dusty roads and horse stables with it. When the horses started dying and stable workers got sick they started to figure out what caused it, and it was many years before anyone thought to check the neighborhood roads in the poor part of town.

Oh, I'm well aware of the whole story. I did a lot of research on Times Beach and Seveso when I was doing some dioxin-related work in New England. It's an amazing story. The Seveso disaster was one of those insane industrial accidents where one thing causes another causes a disaster.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I grew up across the river from the love canal.
LUCKILY THAT NEVER POLLUTED MY DRINKING WATER.

Though rumour has it, the field/woods behind my house as a kid has a bunch of radioactive poo poo buried there as a local factory made some parts for the atomic bombs during the war.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that whole area is a waste dump. There was an area around north Tonawanda that they had to dig up like 5 years ago because it was love canal waste dumping area. Then there's the whole ground water monitoring and filtering site on walk ave as well

The now praxair site in the town has nuke waste buried there but the expert consensus is to leave it alone for the time being because you'd have to displace a lot of people when you start kicking up radioactive dirt and dust . I believe it's encapsulated well.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 15, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Anode rod question! I think I get the magnesium/aluminum differences, but what's A420 aluminum?

PS: gently caress you, bradford white, and your nipple-based anodes!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tater_salad posted:

Yeah that whole area is a waste dump. There was an area around north Tonawanda that they had to dig up like 5 years ago because it was love canal waste dumping area. Then there's the whole ground water monitoring and filtering site on walk ave as well

The now praxair site in the town has nuke waste buried there but the expert consensus is to leave it alone for the time being because you'd have to displace a lot of people when you start kicking up radioactive dirt and dust . I believe it's encapsulated well.

As a kid going "over the river" to NfNy to shop, or visit relatives or whatever I remember it always smelled like chemicals.

At the time (80s and 90s) there were probably still some of those plants open around there.

E: yeah, its probably covered *mostly* good. On the Canadian side there's lots of clay which is good for that.

Probably similar in the American side too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Are there water hammer arresters that work? I have a couple 'MiniRester AA size' units on my LG washer, and the pipes still get loving slammed around, like literally hear them shaking around in the wall. I'm guessing the plumbing is not attached/mounted well at all, so I probably need something extra gentle.

Closing the valves a little bit helps slightly, though I don't know if the machine is filling/measuring water correctly then.

I see there are physically larger units like https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-1-in-Male-Thread-Copper-MIP-NPT-Water-Hammer-Arrestor-Type-C-HRMPT1C-NL/308601318 but you'd need some custom 3-way connection I suppose.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2023