Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

thank you for providing this thread with wonderful content, I hope your new main lasts forever and never leaks

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

:vince:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

amazing

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Incredible

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Your very own arc de triomphe. Congrats!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
:five:

(I also thought it was a katana from the thumbnail)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Excellent.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Make it a god drat example to the other pieces!!! Hell yeah!!!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

spf3million
The Four Month Geyser, 2023
Mixed media

Reclaimed section of pipe from minor water leak causing emotional damage, physical exhaustion, and a modest profit for a local plumber.

On loan from the national gallery of homeowner folly

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo. This post's thumbnail combined with the full res realization, combined with the backstory?!? Triple crown. 6 out of 5 stars.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
In a self-inflicted trauma, I manages to order a way-underspeced start capacitor kit.

Hopefully fixing A/C tomorrow. Friend loaned me a window unit tho so thats nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So it turns out that we do in fact live in a bay area home built in the 1970s, i.e. has basically no insulation, and/or the cellulose has broken down sufficiently that it's useless. AC was added sometime near the year 2000.

https://a-1totalserviceplumbing.com/air-duct-re-lining/

I also suspect that we have at least a few duct leaks. I found this service (wrong end of california).

Looks like some kind of polyurathane closed cell foam. I won't fix large leaks but seems like a good way to seal up a bad install? Thoughts? Haven't done the math yet but I think this will save about $1000/year on AC

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 2, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Having solid, steady rain for the first time in ages. After years of dealing with water in the basement, suddenly we're having a drip from a recessed light in my kid's bedroom. I went up into the unfinished attic to glance around and couldn't see anything obvious. However, not far from that light fixture, it looks like there's a small gap between the chimney that goes there and the wooden wall, enough to let in daylight.

Should I be calling tuckpointers immediately? Our roof got replaced by a semi-shady guy 3 years ago after a hail storm, so I'm hoping it's not that. This is Chicagoland for whatever that's worth on insulation/roof issues.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

spf3million sighed as he drew his water pipe

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

A triumph.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Having solid, steady rain for the first time in ages. After years of dealing with water in the basement, suddenly we're having a drip from a recessed light in my kid's bedroom. I went up into the unfinished attic to glance around and couldn't see anything obvious. However, not far from that light fixture, it looks like there's a small gap between the chimney that goes there and the wooden wall, enough to let in daylight.

Should I be calling tuckpointers immediately? Our roof got replaced by a semi-shady guy 3 years ago after a hail storm, so I'm hoping it's not that. This is Chicagoland for whatever that's worth on insulation/roof issues.

Yes, it's that. Your shady roofer should have re-flashed the chimney and it sounds like they didn't. It needs to be addressed ASAP to limit damage.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

So it turns out that we do in fact live in a bay area home built in the 1970s, i.e. has basically no insulation, and/or the cellulose has broken down sufficiently that it's useless. AC was added sometime near the year 2000.

https://a-1totalserviceplumbing.com/air-duct-re-lining/

I also suspect that we have at least a few duct leaks. I found this service (wrong end of california).

Looks like some kind of polyurathane closed cell foam. I won't fix large leaks but seems like a good way to seal up a bad install? Thoughts? Haven't done the math yet but I think this will save about $1000/year on AC

Are your ducts in a concrete slab? I had the duct armor stuff done for my in-slab ducts to mitigate moisture and air leakage. It definitely helped, but I don't have good numbers. This stuff is sprayed on through a hose, so coverage definitely depends on the skill of your installer. (There's only one guy near me that does it, so I didn't have a ton of options)

If your ducts aren't in the slab, the better option would be https://aeroseal.com/residential/ . It's blown into the ducts under pressure, so it naturally finds all the holes and gaps. It's not rated to work on in-slab ducts though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

spf3million sighed as he drew his water pipe

:getin:

done

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
smh the silly things we do for internet points

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Water main is fixed, it's nice not having your tap water taste like garden hose anymore. But now my fridge ice maker stopped working :thunk:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spf3million posted:

Water main is fixed, it's nice not having your tap water taste like garden hose anymore. But now my fridge ice maker stopped working :thunk:

Hang the pipe across from the fridge so it knows what's in its future if it doesn't shape up.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hang the pipe across from the fridge so it knows what's in its future if it doesn't shape up.

:hmmyes:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

spf3million posted:

Show it pictures of the concrete you cut up. It'll get the message.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

devicenull posted:

Are your ducts in a concrete slab? I had the duct armor stuff done for my in-slab ducts to mitigate moisture and air leakage. It definitely helped, but I don't have good numbers. This stuff is sprayed on through a hose, so coverage definitely depends on the skill of your installer. (There's only one guy near me that does it, so I didn't have a ton of options)

If your ducts aren't in the slab, the better option would be https://aeroseal.com/residential/ . It's blown into the ducts under pressure, so it naturally finds all the holes and gaps. It's not rated to work on in-slab ducts though.

Sweet thanks. Yeah our ducts run between the ceiling/floor space in our two level, that other product sounds like a better solution

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I just want to say I love this thread already.

Been down at my new place this weekend. Got a camping mat and wow is that more comfortable than sleeping on the floor. Am looking forward to getting my actual bed down next time I come. Apparently this is the yearly neighborhood party at our beach so my son got to meet a bunch of other neighborhood kids, swam out to the floating dock all on his own, and made friends with a guys parrot.

I also made some friends, met a bunch of people and learned a lot about this neighborhood. Apparently everyone knows me house because "it's the one at the entrance to the ATV trails", I've been asked whether I plan on speccing into boat, ATV, or golf cart ownership since everyone in the neighbourhood has at least one, got invited to a magic the gathering night, met the fire marshall who will be a good friend to have because I plan on starting to light things on fire soon, as soon as the furniture is down. Since the furniture pile also includes all the fuel cans I was storing in the apartment closet. I am so excited though, this is exactly the sort of social experience I've been dreaming about having my whole life moving into a new place and it definitely never happened with any of my apartments, hah.

Been cleaning the place and getting a sense for what is what. Definitely noticing some... Flaws. Like how the oven prevents every one of the three adjacent cabinets from opening unless their handles are removed. And how the toilets don't flush, and taking them apart that's apparently by design, as pouring some water in them works fine. And the garbage disposal smells like something died in it, although I'm pretty sure I shouldn't even have one with a septic system anyway..

Got all the three external door handles and deadlocks replaced, though! Plan on replacing the numerous door locks on the internal doors as well because I don't have keys and do have an eight year old. And maybe replacing some of the doors too...

Thanks for the advice on the dehumidifier, will aim for an inversion one as suggested soon as I can.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 3, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

GlyphGryph posted:

I just want to say I love this thread already.

Welcome to the club. Sounds like you've got some potential content down the road.

I got my ice maker to work again. First I adjusted the new regulator to increase the house-side water pressure. No dice but it did improve flow to the bathroom that has an undersized supply branch. Then I started fiddling around behind the fridge. Messed with where the water enters the back and was able to get it to start leaking so I knew water was making it through that far. Then I cycled the ice tray dump mechanism a bunch of times and eventually an ice shard dislodged itself from the water dispenser hose inside the freezer and ricocheted around in there a few times. No one was injured and I also discovered the secret "Ultra Ice" button hidden inside the fridge. Looking forward to that!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Be careful with Ultra Ice, that's how superheroes (and villains) get created. The powers are a gift... and a curse

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Minor A/C system update:
Systems drew enough current through T1 to exceed what my fluke could read.
Measured resistance of windings of compressor motor. 0.3 Ohm, 0.7 Ohm, 1.0 Ohm between them. This + 1 sec attempt at run before cutoff says thermal limit is in tact and functioning. Also implies that the connections are probably good, since I measured @ contactor and I checked them the best I could.

Measuring the resistance to ground however I am getting readings in the megaohm region which is a bad sign. It should read in the megaohm region on a megger...that a multimeter can see a path to ground at any resistance is a bad OHMen

This was measured at contactor, not at motor so could be humidity/bug in the connector or something. Im guessing the motor has been overheated one to many times and the insulation is starting to break down.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 3, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

absolutely goddamn INCREDIBLE

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao excellent new thread title

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well in prep for $18k worth of tree removal in 2 weeks, they requested a few things on my end to make the process smoother on theirs, like removing two sections of fence and trimming some branches where their tracked hauling bucket will go.

One of our fences had a bunch of large rocks stacked against it (thanks Gary). So in removing those, I ended up with a ton of rock. I found a ton of similar rock surrounding a planter so I grabbed those as well. With no plan to reuse these, I decided to build a tiny rock wall just off the street where we have an additional parking space. I pulled the largest rocks, which likely weighed about 100- 200+ lbs, with my 4runner because I don't feel like herniating a disc in my back again. I'm going to plant some grass or wild flowers in the upper section against the road.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Verman posted:

a bunch of large rocks stacked against it (thanks Gary). So in removing those, I ended up with a ton of rock. I decided to build a tiny rock wall just off the street where we have an additional parking space.

From Gary to gold!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Amazon failed to deliver the hard start kit. I threw in the towel and called someone to come out tomo to get it running and quote a replacement.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

Amazon failed to deliver the hard start kit. I threw in the towel and called someone to come out tomo to get it running and quote a replacement.

This is defeatism!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skybolt_1 posted:

This is defeatism!

But tomorrow it will be comfortable defeatism

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I was in my basement and noticed some goopy brown oily discharge under a clean out from a pipe that comes from the sink - around the edge of the pipe itself is some dried yellow stuff

No smell and not coming from a toilet

Any ideas? Pipe is PVC, probably ten years old

Clean out doesn’t seem loose

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Finally installed the magvent that had been sitting around since like thanksgiving:

https://www.magvent-dryervent.com/

Didn't get a before picture, but I got rid of like 2-3 ft of flex dryer duct (compressed... like 4-5 ft uncompressed), but more importantly I got rid of several elbows that were required to fold it up behind the dryer. Which adds up since I have like 25' nearly of rigid vent behind the walls, so every elbow counts.

A++ highly recommended.

lmao the existing connection tho. Didn't get pictures but it looks like someone cut the hole in the drywall for the vent with a hammer. So of course this means it's all crumbly and I couldn't get more than 3 of the drywall anchors to stay, so hopefully that's enough.

Also for some reason the vent connection was offset like 6-8 inches above the normal dryer-side connection, so no matter what I need to have elbows anyhow. Really stupid design, but at least I got rid of some elbows and made it easier to disconnect when I clean out the vent.

That said, to install the magvent you need to take tin snips to the stub so it fits flush... good thing it's covered up, because I butchered the gently caress out of it.

edit:

So also got confirmation of my Bosch 800 delivery. Between 4-8pm tomorrow...

On the plus side, it means I don't have to disconnect my old dishwasher tonight for haul-away. But it does mean that I get to spend tomorrow night installing the new one. So if something goes wrong I'm screwed for at least a day because I go back to work Wednesday. Got 2 small kids, we run that thing every day... not sure I'll be able to have time to install it if I'm busy handwashing the dishes that pile up.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 4, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

skybolt_1 posted:

This is defeatism!

My house is 84*F and like 84% humidity, I am defeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skybolt_1 posted: