Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Is for spoken ten bucks yet?

it's 50% off, but that ain't much of a deal when you're already starting at nearly $100 canadian

maybe in like a year or two it'll appear at 80% off during some SE publisher sale, which is the only price point i'd even think of giving it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got a copy for like £20 last month

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Hey boss, is it 'adding RPG elements' or 'RPGification'? I'm no word smith"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPGmentarianism

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Games Forum posted:

FFX, if going by classic FFs, is my favourite FF. Hands down. FFVIII comes incredibly, squeakingly close, and then even closer is FFIX. What a trio of games.

I'll be honest I don't really consider FFX to be a classic but it's also sort of where I stopped being able to play the franchise regularly for a while. I'd consider the pixel FFs to be more the classics with FFVII being the change line for the modern entries.

Might be just be me though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Journos mad that YoshiP is stylin on them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The PS1 FF's aren't classics. They're modern Square games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Playstation 2 just came out like 5 years ago, too.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Infinitum posted:

"Hey boss, is it 'adding RPG elements' or 'RPGification'? I'm no word smith"

Is it RP-jification or RP-gification?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

g as in .gif

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've only actually played FF13 and 14 and that was enough to tell me they are bad.

Well and Crystal Chronicles, that one was fine, though the remaster was bad too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is a good game, but also its very mean to Luigi and that makes me sad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So they didn't engage with the eiokon mechanic which can drastically change up your play style in ways that are not possible in God of War, or Ghost of Tsushima. They stuck to the first three you get and never bothered to change it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the fact that you can hit a button and see a little recap of what characters are on screen was shittalked as "the crazy japanese made a story so stupid and impossible to understand they had to include this feature!" and all that.
That's hosed up because that's the feature I've wanted in RPGs ever since I realized I was forgetting important plot points in FF7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to get through Front Mission 1st: Remake, this is one of those retro turn based RPGs where the difficulty is very artificial in that 3/4ths of your attacks will be misses. It's so frustrating and really makes it feel bad to play.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I said come in! posted:

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is a good game, but also its very mean to Luigi and that makes me sad.

What do you mean; maybe Luigi LIKES being hammered into the shape of a surfboard and ridden by his brother across the ocean

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My wife picked up the Pikmin 4 Demo because she thought Oatchi was adorable, and she enjoyed it so much that she picked up Pikmin 1 + 2 and is going through all of that right now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

So they didn't engage with the eiokon mechanic which can drastically change up your play style in ways that are not possible in God of War, or Ghost of Tsushima. They stuck to the first three you get and never bothered to change it.

that sounds less like "reviewers being weird about jrpgs" and more like "reviewers being terrible at the game, not understanding basic mechanics, and reviewing based on those misconceptions"
though i dont read a lot of jrpg reviews. is there like a reocurring issue with them doing that for this genre?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 4, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that sounds less like "reviewers being weird about jrpgs" and more like "reviewers being terrible at the game, not understanding basic mechanics, and reviewing based on those misconceptions"
though i dont read a lot of jrpg reviews. is there like a reocurring issue with them doing that for this genre?

Yes and no, in that its not just JRPGs that reviewers tend to be bad at but all games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone post the DOOM video

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

V galaxy brain poo poo here

It's boldly stupid

Also no mention of Bayo or DMC eat dirt you morons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For me it was the sentiment that "these two western games have done the RPG thing better than the Japanese game, isn't it ironic"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simply play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire for all the combat customization you could ever want, gamer

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the only reviews I read are glib statements made online by goons and the goon-minded in my personal life, and if something grabs me, I buy it! never fails.

it can be like

"did you hear about Mario RPG Switch? Boshi's going to be back, that's so cool"

or

"Booster is so funny, cant wait to play Mario RPG Switch"

or

"should I get Mario RPG if the reviews are good?" "yeah"

and you know what? never fails. this is how I heard about Dave the Diver. cant wait! I cant remember the last time I read a review of a new game. sometimes its fun tho to read old video game rag scanz.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

simply play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire for all the combat customization you could ever want, gamer

Pillars of Eternity 2 is really god drat good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

Trying to get through Front Mission 1st: Remake, this is one of those retro turn based RPGs where the difficulty is very artificial in that 3/4ths of your attacks will be misses. It's so frustrating and really makes it feel bad to play.

it's something i never liked about the series. you'll eventually learn to incorporate that RNG into your strategy, and it's true of your enemies attacks too, but it did make some encounters feel like a coin flip. if it's like FM3, though, the game accommodates streaks of bad luck with just being pretty easy.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

I said come in! posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is really god drat good.

:hmmyes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really wish Obsidian was making a third game. I was excited for Avowed until learning that it was going to just be fantasy the Outer Worlds, that killed all of my enthusiasm for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
People demand bad bethesda rip-offs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my hope is that avowed will generate enough interest in the IP to warrant a third game in the series, although i fully expect something turn based over RTwP if it ever hits that point

aside from the excellent game balance and build variety, it's just a genuinely great, well thought out setting that deeply appeals to the history nerd in me with regards to how much thought went into each society and the conflicts they find themselves in. having magical wizard fights and a setting where materialist concerns are still grounded and believable is a tough balancing act, and i think deadfire especially nails it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least we are getting Baldur's Gate 3 in a month.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pillars 2 could be the best game ever created and I wouldn't play it after how terrible the first was; really and truly the most unpleasant time I've ever spent playing a videogame.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

At least we are getting Baldur's Gate 3 in a month.

christ, my poor loving budget this year

kinda perversely hoping the elden ring DLC drops next year or else i have no clue how i'm gonna fit everything i want in

Gaius Marius posted:

Pillars 2 could be the best game ever created and I wouldn't play it after how terrible the first was; really and truly the most unpleasant time I've ever spent playing a videogame.

i liked good portions of PoE1, but it was such a mess in so many regards that i don't think i would've backed PoE2 if i didn't have faith in the ability of rope kid to deliver a quality product

i'd say PoE2 is such a step up in nearly every regard compared to the first - gameplay mechanics, setting, story, tone, and visuals - that it's worth at least giving it the ol' 1 hour 59 minute steam refund demo to see if it grabs your attention

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 4, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really unfortunate because Pillars 2 really is the best game ever created and you should play it, even after how terrible the first game was.

I didn't play it because I didn't finish the first one until I got drunk one night and decided "why not, let's give it a whirl" and got hooked. My wife also fell asleep during our playthrough of the first (that we ended early) and loved the second one.

I imagine a lot of people who played the first and hated it would love the second, tbqh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

The PS1 FF's aren't classics. They're modern Square games.
theyre old

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So is Wallenstein, and yet...Modern.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ranking the obsidian games ive played (and can think of right now)

New vegas
Pillars 2
Pentiment
Tyranny
Alpha protocol
Pillars 1
Neverwinter nites 2

Of these the Bad Games imo are pillars 1 and nwn 2

Haven’t played enough but should:
Mask of the betrayer
Kotor 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha Protocol is good, but Goons are too willing to ignore it's many, many flaws. It's action gameplay is fully trash and a lot of the hacking is underbaked. Sometimes I wish people would just be more willing to acknowledge flaws rather than trying to paper over them to sell them on others.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah x is a flaw but it’s worth it for y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that my first playthrough I both did not meet Sis, but was so unaware of her existence that I thought they were confusing her for SIE is a testament that only Alpha Protocol can tote.