Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aphrodite posted:

The famous homophobe Torts?

I was going more for "no morning skates or curfews as long as the team is playing well, treats players more as humans and equals than employees/subjects, Cool Dad Torts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
guys i wasnt an abusive rear end in a top hat i was just intense and passionate

like when i treated the entire arena staff like poo poo, that was just passion and building a winning culture

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Yeah that press conference was brutal, they lobbed him absolute softballs and he still just avoided answering them

“What have you learned since your last NHL coaching job?”

Aw geez, my daughter recently told me that Dad it’s not about the message, it’s about your tone. I thought I was having good meetings with players and they came out of it telling my assistant coaches I was calling them dumb assholes, classic misunderstanding

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like that it took him 60 years to learn that some people have different communication styles.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He still gonna call players the F slur?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gibson shoulda requested that trade like 3 or 4 years ago

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
What does an old school head coach even do other than scream at players, scream at the refs, bungle the simplest of line-matching, and perpetuate a toxic culture in his locker room

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Huggybear posted:

What does an old school head coach even do other than scream at players, scream at the refs, bungle the simplest of line-matching, and perpetuate a toxic culture in his locker room

get studio gigs on espn

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Cover up sexual assault

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Huggybear posted:

Deflect blame and inexplicably get work down the line

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1676028269299113984?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This seems like it should be an easy choice, lets see how bad Vladdy fucks it up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please go to Ottawa.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Matt Zerella posted:

Please go to Ottawa.

Reported for absolutely unnecessary cruelty

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hit players

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope it's Carolina so that they are out on EK and the Dubas can finally complete his collection of 32 year olds

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1676028269299113984?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This seems like it should be an easy choice, lets see how bad Vladdy fucks it up

Carolina is just going to collect all the guys aren't they?

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

With Geekie/Donato/Sprong leaving Seattle has officially lost their entire fourth line and I don't like it since part of their whole thing was having a second line and then three third lines.

Yeah I have the same concern. I suspect their read is that they overperformed last season and so it doesn't make sense to try and push ahead in that direction for immediate contention. They are settling in for a couple years of bad to mediocre play and then aiming to build a more common style of top heavy roster with hopefully Beniers and somebody else growing into franchise players, with an emphasis on building a strong farm system to keep those < 1MM serviceable players flowing to fill out the roster.
Or something even dumber than that, who knows.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sure seems like and not win poo poo with the hopefully

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Carolina is just going to collect all the guys aren't they?

Every offseason one team makes all the moves and gets all the guys, then flames out in the first round. Boston did it last year, might be Carolina this year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Shinjobi posted:

Reported for absolutely unnecessary cruelty

I don't want to hate him if he stays in the division. I'm still bummed the Rangers couldn't keep him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1676034897872289793?s=20

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
carolina feels remarkably predictable in their signings

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Teravainen-Aho-Tarasenko
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Necas
Bunting-Staal-Jarvis

Not too shabby on that top nine

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Three second lines is a better plan than three third lines, anyway.

(yes Aho and Svechnikov are better than that, Necas kind of stunk in the playoffs and Kotkaniemi is meh)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/kosportsinc/status/1676024511614033920?s=46&t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1676036806951706625?s=46&t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA

sure seems that ol'frankie may have ruined gibson's trade leverage

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
:boom: is Gibson any good anymore?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Makes you wonder where he got his info from huh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah Svech-Kotkaniemi-Necas is definitely and distinctly not the second line of a contender.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
KO Sports would like to reiterate that John Gibson never said verbatim that “he would never play another game with the Anaheim Ducks,” merely that he requested “the hell out of this shitass franchise and that if he ever played another game in the Honda Center he would rather his nads got kicked through the roof of his mouth”

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah Svech-Kotkaniemi-Necas is definitely and distinctly not the second line of a contender.

Hey now, Carolina totally showed Montreal with that offer sheet for Kotkaniemi.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

We'll see; here's hoping he's talked to enough people to have genuinely unfucked himself. Torts turned into much less of an unrepentant rear end in a top hat after less time off and it worked wonders.

https://theathletic.com/4658406/2023/07/01/babcock-blue-jackets-hiring/

"I did not know 10 years ago that people were different."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

:boom: is Gibson any good anymore?

Yeah I think he'd probably be fine behind a team with competent defense that isn't clearly tanking. His stats looked bad because the Ducks are bad and he faced more shots than every goalie in the league (except Saros). By the eye test he still seems like he can play. Like there are games where he got lit up for 6 goals, but he stopped 53 of 59 overall or something. It's really hard to overstate how bad the Ducks are and how often they left him out to dry.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey now, Carolina totally showed Montreal with that offer sheet for Kotkaniemi.

Imagine getting a first and a third for a third line center who can’t stick and then turning those picks around immediately into a worse player who is just taking up roster space at this point. The Bergevin experience!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

Imagine getting a first and a third for a third line center who can’t stick and then turning those picks around immediately into a worse player who is just taking up roster space at this point. The Bergevin experience!

I always found that trade so bizarre. There was no talk of them keeping the picks. No discussion of any other player. Nothing approaching a negotiation. It was just "we will immediately trade both picks for Christian Dvorak." What a process that was.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I always found that trade so bizarre. There was no talk of them keeping the picks. No discussion of any other player. Nothing approaching a negotiation. It was just "we will immediately trade both picks for Christian Dvorak." What a process that was.

At the time it wasn’t a bad idea to trade them, they just went to the cup final so the team was a “contender” and it was a high first in a weak draft. But it was such a snap reaction that it was clear it was just because Bergevin was pissed and wanted to make a statement.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So who

1)needs a goalie
2)Has assets to burn
3)Can afford Gibson

I realize his star has fallen but surely someone will be interested.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So who

1)needs a goalie
2)Has assets to burn
3)Can afford Gibson

Buffalo would be an interesting spot. Gibson/Leivi.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So who

1)needs a goalie
2)Has assets to burn
3)Can afford Gibson

Carolina. Buffalo. That's about it. Pittsburgh just sighed and overpaid Jarry, Toronto doesn't have the cap space unless they make a major move (*cough*Nylander*cough*)

Sucks for Winnipeg and Boston to have Gibson hit the market as a cheaper alternative to Hellebuyck and Ullmark. At this point there are fewer teams with cap space shopping for a #1 goalie than there are #1 goalies in the shop window.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Buffalo would be an interesting spot. Gibson/Leivi.

...that sorta tracks. Maybe Colorado, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah I have the same concern. I suspect their read is that they overperformed last season and so it doesn't make sense to try and push ahead in that direction for immediate contention. They are settling in for a couple years of bad to mediocre play and then aiming to build a more common style of top heavy roster with hopefully Beniers and somebody else growing into franchise players, with an emphasis on building a strong farm system to keep those < 1MM serviceable players flowing to fill out the roster.
Or something even dumber than that, who knows.

they're still really deep. their 4th line will probably be tanev, wright and yamamoto, firkus or kartye. they probably should have kept donato or geekie instead of signing dumoulin though. what a weird signing that was