Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Are those bullet spatters on the target holder? Someone's aim loving sucks for having their own private range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
if you have a gun range in your house there is nothing stopping you from getting drunk and heading to the range (in your house).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CongoJack posted:

if you have a gun range in your house there is nothing stopping you from getting drunk and heading to the range (in your house).

alcohol is a depressant. it was banned in rifle as a performance enhancing drug for the same reason beta blockers were. obviously dosage matters immensely.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

alcohol is a depressant. it was banned in rifle as a performance enhancing drug for the same reason beta blockers were. obviously dosage matters immensely.
wait what

are you telling me competitive shooters would have a beer and shoot better, and this has happened enough that it's banned as a PED

(i mean, kinda scans...)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao

https://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/alcohol-banned-from-rifle-competitions/article_208d46e3-8e6f-54b4-a2d5-98aef12ab40e.html

quote:

Hearts pounding, sweat running, nerves running. Any slight movement could trigger a misfire.

Rifle is a sport where accuracy and steadiness are essential. Competitors have to fire single rifle shots in a set period of time and are scored purely on accuracy.

It is crucial for competitors to have strong mental concentration, hand-eye coordination and steadiness.

Because shooters must be calm enough to steady their rifles and perform under pressure, competitors must try to release any anxiety and calm their nerves before competition.

Some college students may try to relieve everyday stress and anxiety with alcohol, and it's easy to see why. Its effects are so significant that alcohol is considered a performance-enhancing drug in rifle competition.

Although alcohol travels to all parts of the body after consumption, the drug affects the brain the most.

Obviously, if competitors consume too much alcohol their balance, steadiness, reaction time and motor skills become impaired.

But if a smaller amount of alcohol is consumed, the drug can potentially relax and slow competitors' heart rates.

Since alcohol is seen as a performance-enhancing drug in rifle, the National Collegiate Athletic Association and World Anti-Doping Agency have banned the drug specifically for the sport.

The NCAA states that it bans the use of alcohol "in competition for rifle." Along with alcohol, both organizations have banned beta-blockers, which are drugs that slow the heart rate, reduce blood pressure and are commonly used to treat cardiovascular conditions.

Husker junior Christine Costello, a junior rifle competitor, said she has known the dangers of using alcohol and shooting since she was a young girl.

"That's one of the first rules they tell you," she said. "I remember going to a class at my junior club. Alcohol was like rule number three: Don't mix alcohol and firearms. It's kind of a common sense thing."

Nebraska rifle coach Morgan Hicks said she hasn't heard of any cases in which competitors on the local or national level were caught with substances. However, she said she doesn't doubt alcohol's effects in the sport since athletes need to be as mellow and calm as possible while performing the same action over and over for two hours.

"Obviously, if the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency thinks alcohol is going to be a depressant or a performance-enhancing drug, it will help in some way," she said.

Hicks said the team is under constant watch, so the shooters know not to even think about using a substance such as alcohol. The team is tested randomly at least twice a semester under university policy. The team is also tested at championships and larger meets. A lot of the athletes also compete internationally, so they are tested by U.S. Olympic committees and international organizations.

"We're under constant watch, so we don't try to mess up," Hicks said.

Costello said she believes using alcohol and shooting is not a good combination. Also, she said she believes it's something that shouldn't be taken lightly.

"I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages," Costello said. "Balance, hand-eye coordination and concentration are so much more important than nerves. You can always control those in other ways."

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Nothus posted:

Are those bullet spatters on the target holder? Someone's aim loving sucks for having their own private range.

The gun hole is an AirBnB. Guests can shoot as much as they want.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1676020786451083264?s=20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/127-S-19th-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15203_M34431-09365

That's some good-rear end deceptive picture stretching

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What, are you still on a 4:3 toilet?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
They love to use wide angle lenses, but that is definitely stretched in an image editor. Lol.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

spent 10 years living at diff spots in east LA all within a mile triangle of this spot. had no idea there was a house under that bridge but i saw a news blurb and knew where it was immediately. if you could strike an agreement with the shopping center its 20ft away from and it was fixed up it would be a cool rental for a young person lol. but of course the price and condition, probably 18 hours a day of heavy road noise too

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

:pwn:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao, $2200/sq ft

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Look at Woodside next

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I’ll just have enough left to redo the driveway.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

About the size of the MP house I grew up in, but this one has no visible garage. My neighbors had similar sized houses and were largely teachers and plumbers who bought early enough.

3.5m goddamn dollars.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

it's pretty cool that the US has completely given up the idea that a regular person could own a home

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, it's nowhere near that bad, but my street has a ton of houses of roughly similar size/design and they're all $450-500k. They universally belong to one of three kinds of people:

1) People over 70 who almost certainly bought them 40+ years ago
2) White collar workers from the big corporate offices down the road
3) Landlords

And those are the ones that still pretty much look exactly like that, which are definitely in the minority. The majority of relatively reasonable houses like this have either eaten the flipper treatment or seen tons of additions over the years and are just completely out of reach. Houses in that 1000-1500 sq. ft. range around here have literally tripled in price over the last ten years. It's loving insane.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Isn't that town Facebook's home turf? I thought they fired half their staff who earned the money for that sort of Craftsman special?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
some family moved on to my street about six years ago and then they recently listed their house for sale and sent all of us an email with their farewells as they "sell [their] starter house".

internally, I reacted like Dennis Reynolds when he was told his car was a starter car.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

some family moved on to my street about six years ago and then they recently listed their house for sale and sent all of us an email with their farewells as they "sell [their] starter house".

internally, I reacted like Dennis Reynolds when he was told his car was a starter car.

that’s horrific man, wtf

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it was more annoying and tone deaf than anything else. gently caress them, glad they're gone.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
my starter house was a trash can

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It sounds like you can make a move yourself.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We bought a house last month because our rent is relatively cheap and we spent almost ten years saving up. The number of family members who say “oh it’s such a nice starter home, perfect for now and you can sell it in a few years” is astounding. Where the gently caress do they think the money will come from? Why are they such assholes about it? It’s car brain, but worse!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Chakan posted:

We bought a house last month because our rent is relatively cheap and we spent almost ten years saving up. The number of family members who say “oh it’s such a nice starter home, perfect for now and you can sell it in a few years” is astounding. Where the gently caress do they think the money will come from? Why are they such assholes about it? It’s car brain, but worse!

ez: house price go up, sell for money, ignore the realities that underpin every aspect of these transactions

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Chakan posted:

as far as I can tell you are expected to save up for a new down payment while paying your mortgage and then swing proceeds from the sale of your home + extra down payment money into a new home, keeping your monthly low by having more to put down? I’m not entirely sure how it is supposed to work though, do you just recast your new mortgage immediately? sell before moving? contingent sales? it’s all very house of cards-ish, market would dry up any time rates increase enough to make saving to keep the same rate untenable. obviously lenders are happy to give you obscene amounts of money for sky high monthlies and many people seem to do that which makes it even more expensive to buy

rates basically just went down for 40 years meaning your down payment goes further as monthlies are lower, so like everything else, the rug was pulled https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US

Sweeper has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Jul 6, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Sweeper posted:

as far as I can tell you are expected to save up for a new down payment while paying your mortgage and then swing proceeds from the sale of your home + extra down payment money into a new home, keeping your monthly low by having more to put down? I’m not entirely sure how it is supposed to work though, do you just recast your new mortgage immediately? sell before moving? contingent sales? it’s all very house of cards-ish, market would dry up any time rates increase enough to make saving to keep the same rate untenable. obviously lenders are happy to give you obscene amounts of money for sky high monthlies and many people seem to do that which makes it even more expensive to buy

The concept of the starter home is brain poison, but Americans can't really fathom anything except a constant upward trajectory. Like your income is statistically probably going to stagnate once you're in your 40s, but people still act like they've got this huge runway out in front of them.

"Starter homes" make a very, very small amount of sense when housing is so cheap that you can buy in your 20s, save as your income increases (lmao), and then sell to someone else in a similar situation for around the same price or a little more. It's an absolutely ridiculous concept when you're talking about people in their 30s and 40s who have been saving for a decade just to make their first home happen.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

why do your neighbors have your and your others neighbors' email that's awful

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chakan posted:

my mom is like this too. "there's nice starter homes for cheap just buy one of those and in a few years you can move." I'm pushing 40 mom, I'm going to die in whatever house I buy

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Paradoxish posted:

The concept of the starter home is brain poison, but Americans can't really fathom anything except a constant upward trajectory. Like your income is statistically probably going to stagnate once you're in your 40s, but people still act like they've got this huge runway out in front of them.

"Starter homes" make a very, very small amount of sense when housing is so cheap that you can buy in your 20s, save as your income increases (lmao), and then sell to someone else in a similar situation for around the same price or a little more. It's an absolutely ridiculous concept when you're talking about people in their 30s and 40s who have been saving for a decade just to make their first home happen.

yeah my house is what would be considered a "starter home" it's a small 2 bed 1 bath ranch. problem is that while on paper my home value has skyrocketed, if I were to sell it and go buy something else my mortgage would like double even if I put all of the profit into a new down payment. so like yeah no way I'm doing that lol. it's a nice enough house and I like where it is so there's no reason to move somewhere bigger, harder to maintain, in a worse location and pay more. but the idea of constant growth is fundamental to the american psyche so that's what people do.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my mom is like this too. "there's nice starter homes for cheap just buy one of those and in a few years you can move." I'm pushing 40 mom, I'm going to die in whatever house I buy

The most grating thing about the housing crisis for me personally is the people who have been totally insulated from it, if not beneficiaries, acting like the people getting screwed just can't figure out how to push the giant free money button that is right there flashing in front of their face.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I went through the process of buying a house a year and a half ago and even if the "starter home" was a viable concept I can't imagine ever wanting to go through that again. Between looking at homes, getting outbid over and over again, and moving. gently caress all of that poo poo, I'm never moving again.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MickeyFinn posted:

The most grating thing about the housing crisis for me personally is the people who have been totally insulated from it, if not beneficiaries, acting like the people getting screwed just can't figure out how to push the giant free money button that is right there flashing in front of their face.

the dumbest part is that my mom bought a $250k house at the end of last year, and that's all she could afford. there's plenty of people who aren't insulated from it, but they just have super boomer brain.

she also absolutely couldn't believe that corporations were buying up all the houses in cash, and thinks flippers are good :iiam:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the dumbest part is that my mom bought a $250k house at the end of last year, and that's all she could afford. there's plenty of people who aren't insulated from it, but they just have super boomer brain.

Yeah, I was actually going to say that a ton of the people who talk about starter homes and the property ladder never really had or benefitted from those things. The whole idea of cleaning 40 years of junk when your grandparents/parents die is enshrined in popular culture because it's such a common thing for people to basically just stay in their homes.

My grandparents built their home in the 60s and my grandmother died in that house several years ago.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
It's really, really simple. Buy the home six years ago, when the price was $200k cheaper than what you will be selling it for in 2023. Then, sell the home, collect your $200k profit + $xxx in equity (probably six figures, because mom and dad helped with the 20% on the "starter home!"), and put it to the dream home near ~good schools~ and a median selling price of $700k or greater and coast with your HENRY status.

Drive the economy forward.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can understand going from like 2 bed / 1 bath to 4bed 2 bath as you go from 0 to 3-4 kids I guess

but those 2 bed 1 baths are not cheap anymore

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

My in-laws are talking to me about selling my house like it’s a foregone conclusion because staying in the same place forever isn’t the American way. At some point a measly 2.5k square feet simply won’t do and I’ll need a mcmansion for all the stuff my family will accrue and all the crap they expect us to inherit and keep.

Lol, I ain’t going nowhere except maybe to downsize to a condo when I’m too old and doddering to climb the stairs safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i am, hilariously, trapped in NYC because i got a mortgage at the best possible time in the last 30 years, and bought what is, in ANY top 50 sized city in the country, considered an "affordable" home.

like, moving to Denver or something and getting a 3 bed 2 bath, ~2000 sq ft home, my mortgage would be more than double what i pay now. and then I'd need two loving cars, real home insurance (not condo insurance like now), etc.

insane. i'm gonna die here. never pictured this.