Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's only eight dashes, banned in china too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have not seen the barbie movie but i suspect that they could've just smeared an actual turd on that world map thing and the scene would hit exactly the same way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It took 5000 years to produce a man this sublimely eloquent:

I'm not even joking, it's beautiful rage.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Chinathread: 44 billion waste on lovely program that run by idiot.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It’s amazing how someone can master a language without fully knowing it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Is there a Chinese Elon?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is there a Chinese Elon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHLrfK54wU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

See that fucker on Instagram all the time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

See that fucker on Instagram all the time

can we swap Elon with him, I bet he'd do a better job

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Same

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

e: ehhhhh after scrolling through that ZY twitter account some more I spotted some gay/transphobic stuff in there, not cool.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 4, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ronya posted:

allegedly:

Possibly an ingenious attempt to square the circle by having a dashed line ambiguous whether it's the dashed line or a journey marker

(even stylized maps must show dashes according to Beijing, that's not novel, but personally I would have left off Asia altogether. I hear Aquellia is nice this time of the year)

I love everything about this.

1) The performative attempt by Vietnam to use China's own petty tactic.

2)The inevitable performative backlash by China/the CCP as they use this to proclaim Vietnam the disharmonious public enemy No. 1. Dunno what it will be yet, but it will be funny.

3) The Chinese cinema audience that will now flock to this film, (possibly mandated to by Xi), to try and piss off Vietnam, (who likely give no shits.)

4) The map that kicked it off is an unrealistic set of blobs in the background with some lines, that doesn't mention either country by name,

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

2)The inevitable performative backlash by China/the CCP as they use this to proclaim Vietnam the disharmonious public enemy No. 1. Dunno what it will be yet, but it will be funny.

3) The Chinese cinema audience that will now flock to this film, (possibly mandated to by Xi), to try and piss off Vietnam, (who likely give no shits.)

4) The map that kicked it off is an unrealistic set of blobs in the background with some lines, that doesn't mention either country by name,

it clearly mention Asia, which is China's other name.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In blobby, almost spherical Asias news:

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1676051698064977920

... does any Japanese or Korean political leader dye their hair blonde?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tetsuya Naito is the leader of Los Ingobernables de Japon, does that count

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is there a Chinese Elon?

Jackie fuckin' Ma, they just haven't realised yet.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

Jackie fuckin' Ma, they just haven't realised yet.

Is he? Other than the hype we normally give when billionaires make public statements, I haven’t really heard much about him.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

He ran afoul of Emperor Xi.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Tetsuya Naito is the leader of Los Ingobernables de Japon, does that count

And Kazuchika Okada, the leader of Chaos.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is he? Other than the hype we normally give when billionaires make public statements, I haven’t really heard much about him.

that's cause he got disappeared for a while, no?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Jack was re-educated no further questions

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin

NoiseAnnoys posted:

that's cause he got disappeared for a while, no?

I m going from memory but Xi is a student of the fall of the USSR and views oligarchs as a threat to the party...him.

The free market with chinese characteristics is over, and mah is now a professor in japan, and his alibaba group is getting the anti trust treatment and being split up into 6 different entities

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mentioned in the parenting thread I was going to buy a fancy travel luggage/airplane bed for my son so he can spread out on the 15 hour plane ride to the US next week.

It is made by a Norwegian company, but I didn't know it was made here, too.

timg for giant blurry images taken while a child is trying to grab my camera away

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

GoutPatrol posted:

I mentioned in the parenting thread I was going to buy a fancy travel luggage/airplane bed for my son so he can spread out on the 15 hour plane ride to the US next week.

It is made by a Norwegian company, but I didn't know it was made here, too.

timg for giant blurry images taken while a child is trying to grab my camera away

Rude

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What's so interesting?

Ohhh lol

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The tourists in Hong Kong this summer seem to fall into two categories: lower income families who are only able to come to HK because, as the capital of all anti-China riots, it's cheap enough; otherwise, it's 23-year-old counterculture couples with dyed pink hair who are coming to Hong Kong because we're so rebellious.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Made in Taiwan

Oh, they got this all screwed up.

Made in Taiwan, China

Oops, shouldn't not have this Democracy logo here either.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*pulls back second sticker to reveal 'Republic of'*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

time to slap on the third "People's" sticker

stickers will continue until morale improves

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
h/o, making stickers that read "shenzen, taiwan"

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Imagine the time and effort it took to do that meaningless task.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ronya posted:

allegedly:

Possibly an ingenious attempt to square the circle by having a dashed line ambiguous whether it's the dashed line or a journey marker

(even stylized maps must show dashes according to Beijing, that's not novel, but personally I would have left off Asia altogether. I hear Aquellia is nice this time of the year)

My understanding is that it's to do with the number of dashes? The news I was listening to implied that the 9 dashes was specifically representative of this thing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beartaco posted:

My understanding is that it's to do with the number of dashes? The news I was listening to implied that the 9 dashes was specifically representative of this thing.

It's dumb because it's super clearly just the lines indicating a 'journey' and not a border line.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

On closer inspection I believe the lines are coming out of the top of Russia anyway.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

There are also dashes adjacent to the green country right next to her head, and the 9-dash line is actually 8 dashes in this pic, but whatevs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jelly posted:

Imagine the time and effort it took to do that meaningless task.

Old fave.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ronya posted:

allegedly:

It’s funny to me that such an intentionally terrible, crude and amateurishly drawn map would provoke such reaction but not surprised given the tension and sensitivity in SE Asia to China’s continued encroachment to anything and everything they now deem theirs

edit:

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also all of this too, lol

sticksy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 6, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SEA OF EAST

Also,

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Being able to see bits of normal Japan peeking out from around the edges of Tiny Japan is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

China weighed on Vietnam's response to the map but it's all so dumb I couldn't bring myself to click on the article.