Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Maybe this is Biden's price for telling the UK to gently caress off during brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Not much chat in here about he RTE scandal. Martin McMahon has for years been trying to expose how RTE use bogus self employment to fiddle taxes and payments for its 'talent'.
Hopefully this will lead to a clear out of RTE, it's just a big money pot for those with the right connections.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's because literally nobody is surprised.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also the pundits in general are hardly about to encourage the debate of "do opinion journos deserve their salaries of several hundred grand?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is it only Tubridy that got the extra?
Cant see anyone else getting phantom cash.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Only him so far buts it's expected that all of the top talent were getting top ups through back channels.
Seems to be focused around Noel Kelly Talent Agency who handles Trubridy among others.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/TheSundayLife/status/1673233922606477312

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:britain:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Has this been reported in the home media at all? It's depressing that it's taken this long.
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/stain-ireland-conscience-identification-begin-060029372.html

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Less reported, more assumed to exist at every mother and child home at this stage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This isn't about the existence, this is about going full Bones on it and getting a team of various techs in to identify all of the bodies.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wasn't there some poo poo with churches trying to delay investigations, like to the level of full injunctions because "it would open up old wounds, so why bother?"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah this was supposed to happen in late 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I still can't believe the Director General of RTE was literally called "Dee Forbes"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Has this been reported in the home media at all? It's depressing that it's taken this long.
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/stain-ireland-conscience-identification-begin-060029372.html

PowerBeard posted:

Wasn't there some poo poo with churches trying to delay investigations, like to the level of full injunctions because "it would open up old wounds, so why bother?"

It's still going on.
A local priest near me 'disappeared' early in the year, left no notice or anything.
Turned out he was moved by the church to 'protect' him, against allegations from a few decades ago.
The populace only found this out when the local newspaper started digging into it.
No one has heard poo poo since.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Pookah posted:

I still can't believe the Director General of RTE was literally called "Dee Forbes"

A real case of nominative determinism, Ms Dee Four.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

Lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

happyhippy posted:

It's still going on.
A local priest near me 'disappeared' early in the year, left no notice or anything.
Turned out he was moved by the church to 'protect' him, against allegations from a few decades ago.
The populace only found this out when the local newspaper started digging into it.
No one has heard poo poo since.
Yeah the church is absolutely resisting investigations into the church itself, which is why this is super notable.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Tyre Extinguishers and the Ranalagh 4x4 Wars

" I guess the environment is important, but what about MY NEEDS ??? "

Tyre Extinguisher is a pretty baller name though, but vandalism is never okay... unless you key someone's car after they repeatedly park in an elderly neighbours space.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PowerBeard posted:

Tyre Extinguishers and the Ranalagh 4x4 Wars

" I guess the environment is important, but what about MY NEEDS ??? "

Tyre Extinguisher is a pretty baller name though, but vandalism is never okay... unless you key someone's car after they repeatedly park in an elderly neighbours space.

It's an old tactic but a great one and I'm delighted to see it taking off here. In that How To Blow Up A Pipeline book the author talks about doing this in Sweden in the 90s.

And yeah Tyre Extinguisher is :five:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

quote:

“Their aim is noble but it’s very unfair for somebody who has to go to a hospital appointment in the morning, has got a sick child to bring to the hospital or has got to go to an urgent meeting.

Do people normally use their SUV to drive to hospital for urgent medical needs or would they just call an ambulance.

And I'm glad the tactic made its way here and is actually getting notice now. The more these people cry to the media the more people will learn about the group and the reasoning behind it. I've know groups doing this since last year but outside of some initial reports most people were just ignoring them. I think the fact they target high wealth areas is both a pro and a con. They're the people who can get politicians attention, but they're also the people who can afford the minor inconvenience of a deflated tyre. There's plug in pumps for a 100e which neuter the threat entirely.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 3, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Theirs a simple solution - don't be a wanker driving an SUV. It's also very unfair to crush a child under the grille of your giant death machine, or to ruin a child's lungs with sir pollution, or rob their future by accelerating climate change for clout. Stick your fairness up your bollocks

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

It's an ever so slightly heartening development that even Newstalk isn't going to reach for a justification for someone in Ranelagh to have a SUV.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

where are all my wage slaves???

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What is it with every restaurant unable to find staff. Everyone around me still has help wanted signs since however many years ago we came out of lock-down.

Did everyone just collectively realize restaurant work sucks and isn't worth doing for minimum wage anymore.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think it might be literally that. Everyone I've talked to who has worked food service and kitchens describes it as poo poo job without exception, and I think unemployment is pretty low right now. People seem to have more options than they did before, and no one is rushing to pick a stressful, tough, low-paying, customer-facing job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Everyone who got told to learn to code did.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The other part of it is that word gets out very quickly who the good (relatively) employers are. So they retain staff and snap up anyone who's looking for a job. I know a bar that does food that has very little trouble getting staff because for years before finding staff was ever an issue they'd give shifts to the college students in the area and work around their school schedule/holidays/J1s. They'd do the same with mothers who's kids were growing up and were coming back to work. Even giving pretty much make-up work to staff who just needed a few quid. The customers were happy seeing the same faces, the staff were happy because they were treated well, and in turn the customers were happier again because the staff were pleasant given they weren't treated like crap. Now, with people leaving food/hospitality work they're known as good people to work for and don't really have an issue finding anyone.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Kitchens are poo poo, you will work hard as humanly possible, your coworkers will be expected to treat you like poo poo and you'll have to be just as lovely, and it seems to be a thing from the shittiest chipper to 5 star michelin restaurants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And a shitload of poor people died.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
"A smile for customers" makes my blood boil.

No one is rushing to the service industry because their wages will not increase to meet inflation.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
PAC today has finally got the figures for the Toy Show Musical that RTE were trying to keep hidden, and it's obvious why.

They planned to sell 75,000 tickets across 54 shows but only sold 11,000 and had to give away as many for free. They ended up cutting half the shows and only ran for 27 shows.

A massive financial failure that's predicted to have cost upwards of 3million and has confirmed losses of 2.2 million so far.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That's fuckin hilarious

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And so insanely predictable, from the moment it was announced I just loled and knew it was gonna lose a shitload of money (though I'm still surprised just how much)

I assume their loss accounting doesn't even include the insane amount of adspace they used to promote that turd that could have been sold elsewhere

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think there is something really fitting about a musical based around the Late Late Toy Show being a huge flop.

Like I had Nostalgia for the Toy Show as a kid, but that was because in the 90s, this was the only place to see a bunch of cool toys and stuff.

I understand that now parents who were kids in the 80's and 90's are watching it with their kids as a ritual
But it's not a property that is going to lead to a must-see story. It's an Irish version of the story behind the making of John Carter*.

* = No disrespect to that film. I loved it when I saw it in the cinema.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
They should have pegged the Toy Show Musical against what the Billy Barry Kids usually draw.

Because I always hated those shits.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wasn't the Late Late Musical also at the tail end of Covid restrictions, where Pantos and Musicals could only have limited seats and limited shows, which basically killed off a number of shows that couldn't adapt?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All I can remember about it is the saccharine radio ads sandwiched in between ads for senior care and life insurance on Radio One for an entire 5 months

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

All I can remember about it is the saccharine radio ads sandwiched in between ads for senior care and life insurance on Radio One for an entire 5 months

Target demographic right there! Not aimed at kids at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

I think there is something really fitting about a musical based around the Late Late Toy Show being a huge flop.

Like I had Nostalgia for the Toy Show as a kid, but that was because in the 90s, this was the only place to see a bunch of cool toys and stuff.

I understand that now parents who were kids in the 80's and 90's are watching it with their kids as a ritual
But it's not a property that is going to lead to a must-see story. It's an Irish version of the story behind the making of John Carter*.

* = No disrespect to that film. I loved it when I saw it in the cinema.
Some of my friends do hatewatch parties where everyone drinks when Tubridy looks like he needs another belt of coke to avoid murdering some kid who doesn't give a poo poo about how big a deal he is.