Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rodbeard posted:

war is bad

you dont know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

The route they were supposed to take was shelled, a route known to both sides and told dont shell here today, so why would the Russians do this?

I think it's possible that either or both sides ignored that warning because hey, it's war. Cooler heads don't always prevail. One side shot first, the other side shot back, etc. I don't think there was as much thought put into it as you're assuming.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

I thought all octopus imagery was now irredeemably antisemitic?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

there's also that whole joint resolution by linsdey graham and richard blumenthal introduced that if russia blows up the nuclear plant, the US will invoke article 5

Yeah but that's non-binding and it's not going to pass anyway.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

That's great and all but there are a lot of oligarchs running the country who would very much like to use that area to make money, and they're the ones who make the decisions, not poster boy Zelensky.

how much money are those oligarchs going to get from that land if it's occupied by russia

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

not gonna stop the ukrainians from trying anyway and they got every reason to!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

I think it's possible that either or both sides ignored that warning because hey, it's war. Cooler heads don't always prevail. One side shot first, the other side shot back, etc. I don't think there was as much thought put into it as you're assuming.

Why would the Russians ignore it? Why? Why? loving why?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Why would the Russians ignore it? Why? Why? loving why?

Here's one possibility:

quote:

Moscow accused Ukrainian forces of trying to seize the plant hours before the IAEA team was due to arrive.

Russia's defence ministry said up to 60 Ukrainian troops had crossed the Dnipro in boats at 6:00 a.m. local time (0300 GMT), in what it said was a "provocation" aimed at disrupting the IAEA visit

crepeface posted:

how much money are those oligarchs going to get from that land if it's occupied by russia

They think they're going to get it all back, though.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Jul 4, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Here's one possibility:

They think they're going to get it all back, though.

Thats not the route the IAEA was on though. Jesus loving Christ

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Thats not the route the IAEA was on though. Jesus loving Christ

Where are you getting your information for what happened on that day?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Just another article and some quotes from it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/world/europe/iaea-visit-zaporizhzhia-nuclear.html

"The New York Times posted:

after an artillery bombardment forced operators to shut down one reactor and switch another to emergency power, highlighting the immense risks of combat around a site loaded with radioactive material.
-----
The team of 14 experts with the International Atomic Energy Agency planned to gauge the damage to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant from weeks of shelling

I also want to add that that nuclear power plants need electricity and water to continue to function. Loss of either of them can cause a meltdown. A meltdown also doesn't always mean a release of radioactive material. Three (3) Mile Island was a (partial) meltdown and it released very little radioactivity. The same is true in reverse, you can have a release of radioactive material without a meltdown. A meltdown is just when the radioactive material in the reactors can't be cooled sufficiently and then literally melts into a liquid, it then often melts it's way through the bottom of the reactor housing. This is really bad for the operation of that reactor and is how we got the elephant's foot from Chernobyl.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

trying to both sides this issue when it's really obvious that only one side is desperate enough to blow up a nuclear plant and has already demonstrated that they were desperate enough to blow up other vital infrastructure before

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

trying to both sides this issue when it's really obvious that only one side is desperate enough to blow up a nuclear plant and has already demonstrated that they were desperate enough to blow up other vital infrastructure before

Pretending like blowing up a dam and causing a Chernobyl-level meltdown and breach are the same thing.

This thread is better when it isn't consumed with conspiracy-brained nonsense like this imo.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Pretending like blowing up a dam and causing a Chernobyl-level meltdown and breach are the same thing.

it's an escalation that's for sure

also destroying a dam is not nothing dude

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Where are you getting your information for what happened on that day?

From many of the same articles people have been posting at you all day to no avail. So fine gently caress it you're right the Russians are doing it. Or its unknowable who is shooting at the power plant, who destroyed those dams, and who destroyed Nordstreams. Could have been loving anybody, maybe Poland hired the Diamond Dogs we'll never know because certainity is impossible in life

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

fascists going scorched earth when they're losing is not a reach or a huge leap in logic lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

it's an escalation that's for sure

also destroying a dam is not nothing dude

I never said it was nothing (I said the opposite, in fact), that's you projecting.

KomradeX posted:

From many of the same articles people have been posting at you all day to no avail.

Post one that backs up what you're claiming. That's all I ask.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Jul 4, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did NOT expect majorian to turn mlmp

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh no, majorian has had a relapse of dnd-brain. my sympathies to all those affected.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

the counter offensive being a huge failure(so far) broke a lot of brains

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I didn't expect this thread to turn into a mirror of the GBS thread, complete with harebrained conspiracy theorizing. But here we are, sadly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

there's also that whole joint resolution by linsdey graham and richard blumenthal introduced that if russia blows up the nuclear plant, the US will invoke article 5

I cast a spell of article 5 at the gazebo. I roll 1d4 for damage, uh, a 3. Does the gazebo die?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

I never said it was nothing, that's you projecting.

as far as the only thing that's concerned (deliberately caused ecological disasters with the goal of causing potentially huge death tolls) they might as well be the same thing!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

as far as the only thing that's concerned (deliberately caused ecological disasters with the goal of causing potentially huge death tolls) they might as well be the same thing!

Indeed, all deliberately-caused ecological crises are the same, there are no differences in degrees.:hmmyes:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Indeed, all ecological crises are the same, there are no differences in degrees.:hmmyes:

like i said, only one side is in a desperate enough situation to escalate right now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nobody ITT even gets electricity from the ZPP or water from the Dniepr. "Mind your own business," that's my motto.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

like i said, only one side is in a desperate enough situation to escalate right now

Neither side believes they're in a desperate situation, though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

I never said it was nothing (I said the opposite, in fact), that's you projecting.

Post one that backs up what you're claiming. That's all I ask.

Go back and read some of the articles airway posted. People have already posted the sources

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

which side is clamoring for F-16s and NATO involvement right now?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Thats loving absurd on its face value. If Ukraine didn't think they were in a desperate situation they wouldn't just be doing massive sweeps for bodies to throw at Russian minefields and begging the West for 25 year old F-16s and more and more tanks

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

which side is clamoring for F-16s and NATO involvement right now?

That doesn't suggest desperation, though. That just means that they want to win the war, not have things bogged down in an interminable stalemate, which is what the situation is now and for the foreseeable future.

KomradeX posted:

Go back and read some of the articles airway posted. People have already posted the sources

I read them when they were first posted. None of them back up what you're claiming.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Jul 4, 2023

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sending in abuctees conscripts with less than a week of training and dwindling ammunition supplies: definitely not desperate

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Majorian posted:

We don't know that someone is shooting at the plant deliberately. Stray shots happen in war.

We have Mlmp at home.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

We have Mlmp at home.

I'm just saying, war brings out the dumbest in all of us.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1676105404411961344?s=20

quote:

Update: Five UAVs attempted to attack Moscow and Moscow region on Tuesday morning, all of them destroyed - Ministry of Defense

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

We have Mlmp at home.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Not me, mass death increases my intelligence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Not me, mass death increases my intelligence.

drat, if you survive the next few decades, you're gonna be so smart.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
we actually have info that russia is going to attack the ZPP to cause radiation release

fizzy posted:

Worrying news for Ukraine - Ukrainian intelligence agencies have received information showing Russia is considering carrying out a “terrorist” attack at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant involving a release of radiation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08c081c5bb5d61

10m ago

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday Ukrainian intelligence agencies had received information showing Russia is considering carrying out a “terrorist” attack at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant involving a release of radiation.

In a video statement on the Telegram messenger, he said Ukraine was sharing the intelligence with all its international partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

mlmporian do you think this sounds like a desperate situation for ukraine